Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Medicare Part B + Supplemental + Drug Coverage?

I will be retiring at EOY, as such I will be transitioning off my employer's insurance.

I have been signed up with Medicare Part-A for a couple years already, and will be signing up for Part-B during open enrollment (not sure when that is ?).

I am also looking at 'supplemental' gap insurance, and exploring my options.
as well as a Drug coverage plan.

I'm not looking for a Cadillac plan, more in the middle like a Buick !
Currently on BC/BS insurance, with employer, and happy with this plan.

There's a million insurance plans/options out there for retirees, and would like feedback from the Forum, on their choices made, good or bad ?

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
JMR

Default Options

I went through this process a few years ago and came down to USAA (if you are eligible, call and ask them if you don't know) or the AARP plan. Costs between the two plans were not that different. Since I have had great results with USAA over the years and like their approach, I went with them. No issues with the coverage, cost or anything else since I signed up.

It is a confusing mess. USAA will send you a Guide to walk you through it whether you use them or not. Sadly, each fall I get inundated by plans trying to get me to switch. Lots of wasted paper.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMR For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
C Tucker

When I dealt with transferring my father's insurance from MA to NH when he moved in with us years ago, I found that there are agents who will find the best plans at no fee to you. I'm sure someone supplies the fee, but it may just be that they handle the application and therefore receive a fee. I believe I did get shown several good options to choose from. I dealt with Alice Young at Paige Insurance in Pittsfield.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Flylady

Default So many options

Good luck. I just spent the prior three months in reaching and meeting with insurance agents for supplemental. I ultimately ended up with Anthem BCBS.
The reason is they were somewhat less costly than some of the other big name companies, however I did not include the drug coverage plan. I found that the N plan best suited my needs as I am very healthy and travel a lot so this plan best fit that need and allows me to retain my same doctors. In my research I found that Humana had the lowest cost for drug plans...however as I am sure you have learned if you have specific meds you need to see if they are covered. BTW you are not restricted to open enrollment periods for supplemental plans.

One thing I learned with medicare part B is to read very carefully what is covered and not covered. An example is that as part of my annual physical much of the lab work was not covered as it was not to diagnose a specific ailment.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
bigdog

To JMR: I am a veteran and will check out USAA.

To: FlyLady: I currently have BC/BS Anthem with my employer, and will reach out to BCBS for plan options.

Thanks to both of you, much appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
phoenix

there are two basic supplements types one is medi gap and one is Medicare advantage. Medicare advantage is more of a PPO and could be an issue if you travel a lot( in network vs out of network) or are living in two places. Medi gap will be honored by any provider or hospital that accepts Medicare. Both have advantages. Medi gap tends to be more expensive but for me since I live in two states it provided more flexibility. Within and as well as part D there are many choices but will start with what state you primary reside in as plans are state approved
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Good luck. I just spent the prior three months in reaching and meeting with insurance agents for supplemental. I ultimately ended up with Anthem BCBS.
The reason is they were somewhat less costly than some of the other big name companies, however I did not include the drug coverage plan. I found that the N plan best suited my needs as I am very healthy and travel a lot so this plan best fit that need and allows me to retain my same doctors. In my research I found that Humana had the lowest cost for drug plans...however as I am sure you have learned if you have specific meds you need to see if they are covered. BTW you are not restricted to open enrollment periods for supplemental plans.

One thing I learned with medicare part B is to read very carefully what is covered and not covered. An example is that as part of my annual physical much of the lab work was not covered as it was not to diagnose a specific ailment.
I also have Anthem BCBS for part B & Humana for prescription drugs. I have had good luck with both of them.
Flylady (03-22-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
Woody38

My wife and I have been on Medicare for several years. I do not believe there is any such thing as lab work not being covered. Lab has always been covered 100 %. The problen is that the payment to the lab is so ridiculously low.Supplemental may not cover certain things. Look at the Medicare manual for covered services. Our drugs were previously covered by our supplemental (GIC in Massachusetts). We had co-pay. We still have co-pay. As of Jan. 2016 they put us on Medicare D.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
Flylady (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Servicelink

This organization is a great place to find answer for seniors and those who are disabled in NH. When I went shopping for health insurance, they have a chart of NH providers, their costs and coverage. They will also answer questions as to how much coverage you need in NH. I understand each state is different.

Visit you local office. Call 1.866.634.9412 or visit servicelink.nh.gov
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #10
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I also have Anthem BCBS for part B & Humana for prescription drugs. I have had good luck with both of them.
Part B is actually part of Medicare, so I think you probably meant you have Supplemental (i.e. "Medigap") with Anthem BCBS. If so, I have the same Anthem/Humana combo as you and it's worked well.
Rusty (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Part B is actually part of Medicare, so I think you probably meant you have Supplemental (i.e. "Medigap") with Anthem BCBS. If so, I have the same Anthem/Humana combo as you and it's worked well.
Whoops, you are correct. Thanks for the correction.
DRH (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
bigdog

I spoke to a person from SelectQuote about 'Advantage and Gap' plans, based on living in Mass.... They mentioned United Heath Care for Advantage plan as it also combines a drug plan all inclusive, for a cost under $50 a month.

They indicated that there are many local plans (Tuft, Harvard Pilgrim, etc),
however they do not manage those providers and suggested I contact them directly.
SelectQuote, only works with National insurance providers and not regional.

Does anyone have Humana Advantage supplementing Part B ? Good or bad ?

On a side note, how are folks managing their dental coverage in retirement ?
I still have all my teeth !
Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
On a side note, how are folks managing their dental coverage in retirement ? I still have all my teeth !
I think the best source of dental coverage information is your own dentist. Different dentists accept different dental plans, so you'd need to know which plans (if any) your dentist accepts. A quick call to your dentist's office should be all it takes to get that info. Then, you can research the plan(s) your dentist accepts.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I spoke to a person from SelectQuote about 'Advantage and Gap' plans, based on living in Mass.... They mentioned United Heath Care for Advantage plan as it also combines a drug plan all inclusive, for a cost under $50 a month.

They indicated that there are many local plans (Tuft, Harvard Pilgrim, etc),
however they do not manage those providers and suggested I contact them directly.
SelectQuote, only works with National insurance providers and not regional.

Does anyone have Humana Advantage supplementing Part B ? Good or bad ?

On a side note, how are folks managing their dental coverage in retirement ?
I still have all my teeth !
$50 a month! I should move to Mass.!

I have Delta Dental under my COBRA for dental coverage.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 03-22-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Addendum
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote