Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Nauset

Default Waiting on boat registration

Does anyone know how long the turnaround time is for NH boat registrations? I mailed in my renewal I think in early Dec but haven't received my stickers and the check hasn't cleared yet. I'm not in a rush but concerned it got lost in the mail.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Major

Default Boat Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
Does anyone know how long the turnaround time is for NH boat registrations? I mailed in my renewal I think in early Dec but haven't received my stickers and the check hasn't cleared yet. I'm not in a rush but concerned it got lost in the mail.
I've been mailing in my boat registration for 17 years, and a normal turnaround time is two weeks, three at the most. I would call them to find out if they received it.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I've been mailing in my boat registration for 17 years, and a normal turnaround time is two weeks, three at the most. I would call them to find out if they received it.

Agree, I’ve had mine for a month atleast now.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
winni83

Mailed mine in to Concord on December 15th. Got one back on Monday of this week and the other back yesterday. Do not understand the delay. The checks were not presented for payment until the last week of January.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
8gv

I called today.

Mine was mailed on 12/18.

It has yet to be processed.

DMV said they are working on the mail received on 12/26.

Hopefully mine will be next.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
DesertDweller

I have two registrations.

Got one of them three weeks ago and one of them last week.

I wouldn't worry about it yet.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Red apple

Came in the mail yesterday!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
John E

Mailed mine in on December 5. I received it back on January 19.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Nauset

So it sounds like they are going out in dribs and drabs. I'll wait a little longer. Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Need it sooner?

I mailed mine in to the state in December but wanted one of the registrations sooner for a boat I took to Florida.

I called Gilford Town Hall and they had me go on their website and pay online. The same day they processed it and mailed it to Florida and I had it two days later. When the state got to my registration and saw that it had already been renewed they mailed the check back to me.

The staff at the Gilford Clerk's office, and all of the town employees, are always very helpful.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
DRH

I don't know what's causing the current backup. I got my renewal notice in early Dec., sent it right in, and had my new registration before Christmas. Something must have bogged things down recently.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down

I called DMV last week as well. I was told that they were just starting to work on the registrations that came in about mid-December. I was also provided with a generous helping of State “Hack” attitude, getting the impression that I was bothering them by calling.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I called DMV last week as well. I was told that they were just starting to work on the registrations that came in about mid-December. I was also provided with a generous helping of State “Hack” attitude, getting the impression that I was bothering them by calling.
What's the rush? Season doesn't start for a few months. Curious as to why folks are so anxious about boat registration processing time in the middle of the winter. I wait until April and register at the town hall.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
What's the rush? Season doesn't start for a few months. Curious as to why folks are so anxious about boat registration processing time in the middle of the winter. I wait until April and register at the town hall.

I wanted the 2018 registration so that I could use a boat I have in Florida. I know several people who trailer or ship boats to Florida and use them all year long. Not everyone with a NH registered boat uses it exclusively during the summer in New Hampshire.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
8gv

What is the fastest way to renew a boat registration?

Can I get it done at the town hall and walk out with it in hand?

Can I do it online? If so, how long does it take to get it mailed to me?

Can I do it at a marina?

Is the process any different for a boat trailer?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Yes the town hall or the state can do it while you wait. The trailer is the same.

It looks like the mail in to the state has been taking about 6 weeks to process.

As I posted above, Gilford will do it the same day if you call them to get the exact amount and then use the website to post your payment to them. When they see the payment they will mail out the renewals. It worked great for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #17
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Same reason as Tilton BB stated.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Same reason as Tilton BB stated.
Huh? You have a boat in Fla now SP?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Default .... saving a big five dollars at the MP-HQ

Isn't the walk in service window at the MP-HQ at the Glendale docks in Gilford staffed by a very competent Marine Patrol woman who knows all the ins and outs for registering your boat.

Believe you can show up without the old or new registration, but with just an id like a state drivers license or residence card and your payment and the MP will access your registration specifics via either your name and address, or by the bow registration numbers, or by the boat make and hull id number ..... and you walk out with the registration and two bow stickers.

Plus, it costs five dollars less than what you pay at the local town hall, or boat marina. And, there is no 50-50 split between the local town and the state, with all the fee, $5-bucks cheaper than paying your town, going to the State of New Hampshire ..... ayuh!

As you probably know, the State of NH is always broke, and needs thy money a lot more than your local town! This state only pays their 400-state reps just $50/year .... the lowest pay out of all 50-states .... which is why all the reps drive junkie old cars and have old 12' aluminum row boats for boats that don't require a registration as long as it has no motor!

When you's see someone out in the middle of the broads ..... rowing away in a little row boat ... that's always a state rep!
Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Isn't the walk in service window at the MP-HQ at the Glendale docks in Gilford staffed by a very competent Marine Patrol woman who knows all the ins and outs for registering your boat.

Believe you can show up without the old or new registration, but with just an id like a state drivers license or residence card and your payment and the MP will access your registration specifics via either your name and address, or by the bow registration numbers, or by the boat make and hull id number ..... and you walk out with the registration and two bow stickers.

Plus, it costs five dollars less than what you pay at the local town hall, or boat marina. And, there is no 50-50 split between the local town and the state, with all the fee, $5-bucks cheaper than paying your town, going to the State of New Hampshire ..... ayuh!

As you probably know, the State of NH is always broke, and needs thy money a lot more than your local town! This state only pays their 400-state reps just $50/year .... the lowest pay out of all 50-states .... which is why all the reps drive junkie old cars and have old 12' aluminum row boats for boats that don't require a registration as long as it has no motor!

When you's see someone out in the middle of the broads ..... rowing away in a little row boat ... that's always a state rep!
That’s where we go! Gives us a chance to have lunch at Lyon’s Den too! Bonus!
Dunno about the state rep in the broads though...if it were any of those lefty senators, we’d be sure to make a big wake and maybe “swamp” them...😮
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
fatlazyless

The odds for you getting caught by the MP are very slim since there's usually never an MP around when a boating violation like that happens. The MP is usually just not happening .... it's a big lake.

On the very long chance that you got caught, a less than 150' distance while under way violation would cost maybe $115 ....enuf to pay a state rep for their two year term with $15 left over.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
Nauset

Quote:

As I said when I started the thread I am not in a rush but was concerned that my registration got lost in the mail. I didn't want to wait until spring to start chasing this down if there was an issue. By posting here as a starting point I have learned from people in a similar situation that it is most likely just a back log thus I feel confident that all is well. Also for me the "town hall" is 3 hours away so not as convenient.