Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
chipj29

Default Is it possible to keep an outdoor cat indoors?

As you may have read in this thread, we had a scare with one of our cats this weeked. She went out Saturday morning, and I did not see her again until Monday night. We had just about given up on her.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...5&postcount=18
A few months ago, I had somewhat of a debate on here (can't find the thread) regarding outdoor cats. Some feel that they are a nuisance, and some feel that it is just downright reckless to let a cat outside to fend for itself from predators. With that said, here is my quandry.

We got Boo Boo as a stray. Someone had dropped her at the cow farm down the street. Not wanting to see her go to a shelter, we took her in. She has always been an outdoor cat. She comes in at night and a couple times during the day, but first thing she wants to do in the morning is go outside. She is a mighty hunter, brings us all kinds of birds, moles and chipmunks.

So what would you do? Here is this cat who has spent pretty much her entire life as an outdoor cat. And now after this weekends scare, we want to try to keep her inside. She was none too happy with that this morning when I didn't let her out. We also have a young kitten that we are trying to keep indoors. She is dying to go out, but it might be easier if she has never been outside.

Oh and one more thing to add...I have 3 dogs that are constantly going in and out, so it is not so easy to keep a cat inside, with the door opening and closing all day long.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
sa meredith

Default outside/inside

My experience has been, once they a taste for it (going outside) forget about trying to change it...not happening. They will spend there whole day attempting the "break out". And be at the door everytime they hear a footstep outside, or hear the jingle of keys. The only way, I believe, to keep an indoor cat, is start it out that way, as a young kitten.
There's just so much more outside to keep a cat entertained...and actually they are pretty cratfy about staying out of harms way. A cat seems to know what battles to fight, and which ones to run from.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
kthy66

After having a taste of being outside a kitty will never be happy staying in. I think Boo Boo would be incredibly unhappy if you try to keep her in. They love to prowl and catch little critters. and I agree with SA that they know which battles to fight and which to avoid. Ultimately its up to you.. you want an incredibly unhappy frustrated and bored kitty or a happy and adventurous one? Yes there are inherent risks but whats life without a little adventure?
kthy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We have two Maine Coons and ,like you, we worry about fisher cats,foxes etc....Here's what we do. Most predators hunt from dusk until dawn,so we let them out in the morning once it is fully daylight.The secret is...feed them faithfully before it gets dark out.They will get used to it and line right up at dinner time.Then we close the cat door and leave them in for the night.They will get used to being inside.....might fuss for a while but will soon forget.
When we are on vacation,we have a pet sitter for a month and they stay inside the whole time.........I'd give it a try.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
angela4design

Default "Barn cats"

My parents had 'barn cats' when I was young, and they did just fine. As long as they are 'fixed' and have their vaccinations, we didn't see the problem with it. It didn't impact their lifespan; I think one lived to 17+ years! Seldom do I recall them ever having run-ins with other wildlife (or other cats, for that matter). And, fortunately, never a skunk incident!

We spent time with them when outdoors, and they were happy and healthy kitties!

I've also had indoor cats; pros and cons can be said for both! Not having a litterbox to clean has its merits! (Just remember to cover the kids' sandbox outside to prevent that problem with any outdoor kitties!)

The tricky part about your situation is that you'd prefer the younger kitty to be 'indoors'. I'm not sure if that will last; sounds like s/he can scheme ways to 'escape' with other pets around! Maybe it's better to let them explore once they're old enough to go out without getting hurt or lost?

Anyway, That's my 2 cents...
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

Hi Chip,

I think it's great that you want to do the right thing to protect your cat. You can most certainly keep her indoors. We have two cats and have trained them to stay indoors because we live on a very busy road where people tend to speed. We keep our cats in for safety reasons.

A couple of things I'd recommend to make her transition to being an indoor cat more "interesting" for her...

Get her a window seat or two, if you don't have wide windowsills that she can nap on.

Something like this:

Make sure she has a good litter box and that it's kept clean - sometimes cats prefer the outside because they're very picky about their bathroom. Keeping her bathroom facilities clean is important.

Is she allowed in the basement or garage? Cats love to roam and "hunt" having a place she can prowl will help.

I also assume that she's been spayed - if not, then that would be wise. Un-neutered pets will have more of an "urge" to go outside and roam than neutered pets.

Finally, call her vet's office and ask their advice as well on what you can do. There's generally office staff or vet techs who would gladly help you to keep her safe.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Rose

Both of our cats were found as strays when they were kittens, but are now indoor cats. The male wants to get out, the female doesn't. During the warm weather, Nick gets to go around the yard in his harness on a leash a few times a week. Otherwise, he has to settle for the joys of the screen room. He has gotten the screen room door open a few times and had some solo jaunts (he's never gone far...too much in his own yard to see). We now have a scat mat at the doorway so he'll get a little zap if he tries to get to the door. He started working at some of the screen, so my husband slapped some sticky stuff called Tanglefoot onto the screen and that stopped him. I keep a squirt bottle handy (automatic ones are the best) near the door to further discourage the little darling.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Argie's Wife

Not to derail this thread, but I thought you'd get a chuckle out of this considering we're talking about keeping a cat indoors...

Have you seen the dog & cat diary....

DOG DIARY

7:00 AM - Outside! My favorite thing!
8:00 AM - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 AM - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 AM - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 AM - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
2:00 PM - Looked out the window and barked! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
4:00 PM - Chased a bird out of the tree! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
6:00 PM - Watched my people eat! My favorite thing!
6:20 PM - Table scraps! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

=============

CAT DIARY:

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.
In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet.
I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Idiots!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was place d in solitary confinement for the duration of the event.

However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.
The dog continues to receive special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
chipj29

Wife just called me. She is home, having to listen to the cats screams of discontent. She is none too happy about not being let out. Makes me laugh, but it also makes me realize that she is an outdoor cat, and it may not be possible to keep her indoors easily. We will do the best we can.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. And Argie's Wife, I love that dog/cat diary.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

I always let my cats out during daylight hours only if I was home.They would stay right on my property and never wander too far out of sight.I never let them out late in the day with a full belly.They would come back to eat.I know that method always worked for my mother.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Wife just called me. She is home, having to listen to the cats screams of discontent. She is none too happy about not being let out. Makes me laugh, but it also makes me realize that she is an outdoor cat, and it may not be possible to keep her indoors easily. We will do the best we can.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. And Argie's Wife, I love that dog/cat diary.
Chip - let her out. Yes, eventually you MIGHT break her of wanting to go out but it'll be tough till then. I have a cat (My sons?????) in the same situation. Ours has also left for days at a time then came strolling into the yard like it's nobodys business! If you talk with other people I believe you'll find that cats will do this. Mine was going to the door whining and also began pulling up carpet from around the walls (VERY annoying.) It's tough once they've got a taste of the outdoors. The way I look at it why keep them indoors miserable if they don't want to be. Far as predators that's always a possibility but cats are sharper than we give them credit.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Chip - let her out. Yes, eventually you MIGHT break her of wanting to go out but it'll be tough till then. I have a cat (My sons?????) in the same situation. Ours has also left for days at a time then came strolling into the yard like it's nobodys business! If you talk with other people I believe you'll find that cats will do this. Mine was going to the door whining and also began pulling up carpet from around the walls (VERY annoying.) It's tough once they've got a taste of the outdoors. The way I look at it why keep them indoors miserable if they don't want to be. Far as predators that's always a possibility but cats are sharper than we give them credit.
Thanks dpg. I am inclined to let her out. I want her to be happy, but I want to be happy too! She does leave the yard, but usually hangs out on the nearby rock walls hunting chipmunks.
We do have a history of losing cats however, which is what makes me hesitant to let her out. We have dozens of acres of woods out back, and know that there are fox, coyote, fishers, and even occasional moose and bear. Many cats in my neighborhood have been lost to the predators.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
donnamatrix

Default Our cats never go out

We live in the boonies in Moultonboro. We have two Siamese cats, who can go out on the screened porch, but that's it. We've had bears in the yard, a fisher... whether or not we had purebreds (and we've had lots of rescue cats over the years) none of the cats would I let just roam about. We had a bobcat waltz up the road about a month ago. I couldn't bear it if a pet of mine became an appetizer. Most cats sleep most of the time anyway!! I'd keep 'em inside.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default We have some of both

Out of eight cats, 3 are outside, 5 inside. The outside ones would never be happy inside. One of our outsides disappears for days, even weeks. We worry when it gets to about 3 days. All 8 are spayed.

We have accepted that the outsides are certainly at risk of all sorts of "bad" endings. Thankfully, none have resulted in a "bad ending" yet. Past attempts to keep them in have ended up with some mega "cat fights" in the house.

We in an area that is not a problem with car traffic, but we have seen and heard Fisher Cats.

Chip, we also start checking all the neighbors sheds and garages after about 3 days. One time we found one that the folks across the street had accidently locked up for 2 days. He was fine, not happy, but fine.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Sunrise Point

We have had many cats over the past 20 years down here in suburban Mass. We lost one last year (during the evening hours) to a predator. I am not sure if it was a coyote or a fisher. I have seen both in the area.

Our last cat (14 years old) is allowed out during the day. We also use a late-afternoon feeding to entice him in. He is not allowed out after that.

I agree that once they get a taste of the outdoors, they will do anything possible to keep going out. I think that you would have one miserable cat on your hands if you tried to keep her in. The fact that you have 3 dogs going in and out doesn't make it any easier.

Good luck
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Chickie

Default Inside/Outside Cats

I believe the only way to keep a determined outdoors cat inside is to post a guard at the door. In trying to keep them in, you may become as much of a captive as the cat. They usually win the battle in the end and wear you down every time.

I took in a stray last winter and since being spayed, she is becoming more of an indoor cat, although she still likes the choice of coming and going as she pleases. She spends much of the day outside, but I insist that she sleep inside at night. By changing her eating pattern and not having food available after mid morning, she is hungry and ready to come in by evening. She will then settle in on the couch for some TV viewing until bedtime without a fuss. It is all a matter of changing their routines and exerting some authority. The most dangerous time for cats is after dark, both for traffic and wild animal encounters. They are apt to stay pretty close to home during the daytime.

My Ms. Kitty is not an avid hunter and shows little interest in the sport. She prefers to just lounge around the backyard when outside. She did stalk and take down a cricket in the bathroom a couple weeks ago, but to the best of my knowledge that has been about the extent of her big game hunting. If your cat is a hunter, the suggestion about not having food readily available until nighttime may not work. If she is accustomed to feasting on red meat all day, she may not be lured inside by something as mundane and unappetizing as cat food.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #17
Ropetow

Default Indoor cats

We have had 2 outdoor cats 'adopt' us, and they are very content now being indoor cats. Our third, the eldest of the herd, we adopted and was an indoor cat from birth. One that adopted us was likely a feral cat and it took months to get him socialized, but it worked. The other was probably abandoned / cast out by some moron, and she adapted to the good life indoors immediately. Per our vet, as long as the cats have plenty of room to roam, good views to the outdoors, clean litter boxes and companionship (both human and feline) they can be quite content being indoors 100% of the time.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
PennyPenny

We have only had one cat in the past 12 or so years. He has always been in inside cat. He is fat,around 16 lbs, fixed, shots etc. He would probably love to be outside but has NO clue as what to do when he does get out. My opinion would be make sure it is up to dates with his/her shots and let it go out. If it knows where its' home is, it will come back everyday/night unless it is preocupied with something/someone else. I think at this point in its life it has developed its own habits. If you try and change them, it will rebel whether it be meowing constantly, pi$$ing indoors,pooping on the floor etc. Honestly, I don't think you can win with any animal, They are animals. Outdoors is a natural habitat for them. I could also tell you about chickens,geese,cows,goats,dogs.pigs etc. They all live outside and survive with a little help from us.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
chipj29

Well, we tried. The cat meowed until she could no longer meow, from being hoarse. She just HAD to go out.
We let her out in the morning (not too early!) and she comes in for lunch and a nap. She goes back out, and is back in the house in the afternoon when my son gets home from school. She wants to go out at dinner time, but she realizes that that is not going to happen, so she naps more. I make sure that she is in the house when I get home from work, and will continue to do so.

She is fixed, and has all of her shots. She sees the vet every year. We take pretty good care of her.
Thanks for all your posts.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
Chickie

Default Cats will be cats

As expected, Boo Boo wore you down. Cats always win!
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote