Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
SailinAway

Default Need programmed car key

(1) What's the most affordable place in the area to get a spare key made and programmed?

(2) For a spare key to keep in my wallet, is it possible to get just the key, without the heavy fob?

This is my first programmable key. I like to have a total of 4 keys in various places. Looks like that's not possible given the cost of this key. I'm especially worried about losing my key far from home. How many keys do you have, and where do you keep them in case you lose your main key?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Phantom

Answer to Question #2 -- I have the one I use daily & my second (spare) is stored away in my Safe Deposit Box (my wife's pocketbook)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
AC2717

the keys with the FOB have a chip in them that speaks to the vehicle computers to allow it to turn on. Unless the vehicle has a valet type key option, it will need to have the FOB head on it. Most FOBs have a key in the back of them that you can pull out and use incase the FOB battery dies, in this case you can put that key in the wallet
Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
(1) What's the most affordable place in the area to get a spare key made and programmed?

(2) For a spare key to keep in my wallet, is it possible to get just the key, without the heavy fob?

This is my first programmable key. I like to have a total of 4 keys in various places. Looks like that's not possible given the cost of this key. I'm especially worried about losing my key far from home. How many keys do you have, and where do you keep them in case you lose your main key?
I have seen signs at Do It Best Hardware stores that say they can make programmed keys. I have never had one made so I am not sure price. It looks like Rands Hardware in Plymouth is a Do It Best Hardware Store, might be worth a call.

As a side note, if you ever lose your key and you are far from home, the local dealership should be able to help you out by using the VIN and having proper ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
the keys with the FOB have a chip in them that speaks to the vehicle computers to allow it to turn on. Unless the vehicle has a valet type key option, it will need to have the FOB head on it. Most FOBs have a key in the back of them that you can pull out and use incase the FOB battery dies, in this case you can put that key in the wallet
I think you are confusing/mixing a (key + a FOB) and a "keyless" FOB.

A keyless FOB has a key in it in case the battery dies, the other one..... just use the key
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

This is all about the automobile manufacturers controlling the keys for all the vehicles you now buy. Big money @ $200 or $300 per FOB.

Remember the days you could go to your local Locksmith and they'd make as many keys as you want for $5 each (or less) ?

It's all about control and huge profit.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Wifi-1

Gone are the days a parking attendant or younger family member can just have them duplicated
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
ApS

Question Be a Clumsy Driver—Get Rewarded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
This is all about the automobile manufacturers controlling the keys for all the vehicles you now buy. Big money @ $200 or $300 per FOB. Remember the days you could go to your local Locksmith and they'd make as many keys as you want for $5 each (or less) ? It's all about control and huge profit.
Back when these were a new "thing", I remember a Toyota owner having to pay four-figures for a replacement. (!) Then it turned out his car insurance would pay for it....

Then I read that Toyota braqged that they had never had to replace the battery pack in their Prius model.

The explanation later came out that their instruction book said to replace the battery pack after collisions—however slight the collision.

Guess who's paid for all those batteries?
stingray (12-07-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
fatlazyless

www.napaonline.com/en/p/NSO101311 ..... $85.04-each key ...... maybe this will help?

For $1.50, you know I recently got a spare key made at Walmart which I keep in my wallet, in case I lock the regular, old standard wafer tumbler key inside the car. ..... high tech car keys ..... ...... tanks, but no thanks!

And, this $1.50 ignition key works perfectly to unlock the door, and start the ignition ....... a nickel plated, brass, double sided car key similar to the 1980's style car key ..... it is thin enough to keep a spare in your wallet ...... unlike the big fat hi-tech keys
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
What is the make model and year of vehicle?

Makes a world of difference.

Some chip keys - one can purchase a blank and have hardware store or dealership cut. Usually at no charge.

Then you can program extra key yourself.

Some chip keys can only be programmed at dealership. You do not have to purchase the key at the dealership. Although you usually need a factory OEM key.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (10-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

If you have the FCC ID # of the original key FOB then you can usually pick one up off of eBay for a fractional of the price of the New Car Dealership.

Be sure you are getting an OEM Key FOB and be sure to replace the small button battery prior to having it programmed.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
rander7823

Default I have used these guys

I have replaced Dodge, Nissan, Honda and Ford key fobs at this place. all way cheaper than the dealer and with easy to follow instructions to program

https://www.keyless-remotes.com/
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Pros and Cons

We drive Ford products, all with keyless entry, so we can just leave the keys in the car.
C:Without the key, you can't flash the lights to find your car in a large parking lot.
P: A pick pocket / purse grabber, without the key, can't flash the lights and drive away with your car.

A friend traveling in NYC had occasion to be treated by an EMT who was fascinated that people in NH don't lock their house. If you don't lock the house, why lock the car?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:

Well . . . what was the solution ?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
ghfromaltonbay

Default Keyless-remotes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
I have replaced Dodge, Nissan, Honda and Ford key fobs at this place. all way cheaper than the dealer and with easy to follow instructions to program

https://www.keyless-remotes.com/
The 2 keyless remotes for my 2010 Malibu lasted until this past spring & summer. The diagnosis was broken contacts inside on both. I lucked out at this website recently too as the A.C. Delco remotes for my vehicle were on sale from $72 marked down to $19 each. (I am sounding like FLL). Cantin Chevrolet programmed the replacement for $30! I had kept one of the old ones as just a spare key, but decided to order a 2nd at that price. I have to have that one programmed, but will wait till I get back to NH. I had priced the remotes at my local Chevy dealer here in NJ and was quoted $140/remote + $60 to program + 7% sales tax! I can wait till my Feb. trip to NH at those prices to have it done at Cantin.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The 2 keyless remotes for my 2010 Malibu
How to Program Chevrolet Malibu Remotes

Enter your Malibu and close all the doors.
Insert your key into the ignition. Cycle the key to "On," then "Off. ...
Press and hold the "Unlock" tab on the driver's side door as you insert and remove the key from the ignition three times.
Release the "Unlock" tab. ...
Repeat Step 4 for any additional remotes.

Very easy to do.

None have heard from sailingaway as of yet. He/she may be still stuck.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
Janina

Newer cars come with only a single key fob and it seemed to me that my 2015 Toyota Tacoma would at times some how, someway lock me out...not a good feeling.
I checked out the internet sources, Irwin was $300 plus for complete electronic interface. Dealership in Massachusetts was $150 same price for ignition key and lock entry. If you happen to be in North Conway, Intervale Lock & Safe, 3631 Chandler Mountain Rd
Intervale, NH 03845, Phone number(603) 733-4684 did spare for $90 for ignition and lock entry. Great service, great reputation.

I gave my brother-in-law a gift certificate for one as a Christmas present. Better than a sweater!!

Last edited by Janina; 10-17-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Forgot important info
Janina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #17
SailinAway

I did find a cheap solution to my problem after dozens of phone calls. No Chevy dealer in New Hampshire would make a laser-cut valet key for a reasonable price. I had to go to a dealer in Maine when I was up there on vacation. They made me two keys (laser-cut sidewinder) in 5 minutes and charged me NOTHING.

But that was just the blade. You can't turn the blade in the lock by hand unless you have pliers. You have to find some kind of head for the blade. In the electrical department at Home Depot I found a ring terminal that could be installed solidly on the blade with a couple of light hammer taps. Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...-000/202204288

Total cost for two keys: about $4. Absolutely no reason to pay a dealer $100 or $400.

Here's another possibility for a spare sidewinder cut key: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WD8JJN37&psc=1

That's IF you can find a dealer that has the laser machine and will cut it for a reasonable price. Cantin's has the machine but if I recall correctly they charge $80 (??) to cut a sidewinder channel.

The blade opens the door but won't start the engine. It sometimes sets off the alarm but you can disable the alarm by immediately starting the engine with the spare key you should have in the glove compartment.

I now have 2 programmed key fobs and 2 blade spares to cover all possibilities: key locked in car, lost key outside car, can't find keys in house, etc. Within one week of getting the spares I accidentally locked my keys in my car! Spare blade in my wallet worked instantly.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Question .... blue light special is back?

Was at the Plymouth Walmart getting an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed it has a brand new smart key display with programmed keys, with their key inventory all totally locked up behind little plastic security doors.

The Plymouth Walmart now has a program key person on staff who they sent to M.I.T. for six years to learn how to program these new keys .... well, maybe not!

And another thing .... ..... the Plymouth Walmart now has a permanent reserved parking spot out front, close to the entrance that is 'Reserved for Our Law Enforcement Partners," that has a small, solar powered, police blue light on top that turns on as darkness falls across the parking lot.

It has been noticed that shoppers are attracted to this blue light, and will wait there for up to 30-minutes hoping to catch a blue light special, price reduction. ...
Old 12-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Was at the Plymouth Walmart getting an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed it has a brand new smart key display with programmed keys, with their key inventory all totally locked up behind little plastic security doors.
Did you notice if they do laser-cut sidewinder keys?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
fatlazyless

No, they do not do laser cut side-winder keys.

They now have one of those light green Minute Key vending machines for doing regular keys, and use the old key machine/key blanks space for the car programmed keys.

The nice thing about the old regular keys is their thin size makes it easy to keep a spare in you wallet in case you lock the set of keys inside the car.

....... today, everything has too much technology!
Old 12-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #21
Rockslider

Default Rocky's Ace Hardware, Concord

I needed a key for my 2018 pickup truck. Dealer quoted a price of $230 for the key, plus an additional fee for programming that could range from $59 to $229 -- so a minimum of $289 to a maximum of $459, and they couldn't/wouldn't give me a more definite estimate until completion (and once I ordered the key it would be non-refundable).

I picked up my key today at Rocky's Ace Hardware on Loudon Road in Concord. $189 complete -- ordering the blank, cutting the key, and programming it. And they were a pleasure to deal with. It took a week to get the key, but once the blank came in they have the cutting and programming equipment in the store.

A good place to keep in mind if something happens in the future...
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

So the moral of the story is, take good care of your car keys-don't lose them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (12-21-2019), Top-Water (07-17-2020)
Old 12-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #23
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
So the moral of the story is, take good care of your car keys-don't lose them.
Geeze...those key prices are outrageous! How the heck can they justify charging those prices?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #24
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Geeze...those key prices are outrageous! How the heck can they justify charging those prices?
Because people aren't smart and they don't realize they have far better options.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
I picked up my key today at Rocky's Ace Hardware on Loudon Road in Concord. $189 complete -- ordering the blank, cutting the key, and programming it.
Rocky's doesn't do laser-cut sidewinder's, and personally I think $189 is far too expensive. The blank is worth a couple of dollars, the cutting is very fast, and you can program it yourself. So why would you pay $189?

Last edited by SailinAway; 12-31-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #26
Kerk

Smile Key F O B

I know there are a couple IN the Melvin Village Marina on the bottom near my slip !!! Was a bad day for my son !!!!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #27
SailinAway

Default Update: Spare doesn't always work

Lost my keys again a few weeks ago (at home, fortunately). I could not get the spare key to work (described above: just a sidewinder blade with an electrical ring terminal for a head). It just would not turn in the lock. Eventually I found my keys. Once I opened the door with the FOB, suddenly the spare worked again. The spare worked a couple of times away from home when I locked my keys in the car, then didn't work, then did work. I have no explanation for this, but it's a cautionary tale.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
TheProfessor

Have seen these "laser" cut keys only a few times.

What cars use this kind of key?