Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Two bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Horrible event.. it's on all of the Networks.. Channel 4 Boston has live coverage.. actually pulled some of the live video as '"too gruesome"
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
brk-lnt

So far there has also been at least one controlled detonation of another suspected device.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Boston Police confirm 2 dead, 22 seriously injured so far.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

The fire at The JFK Library seems too coincidental.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The fire at The JFK Library seems too coincidental.
Confirmed unrelated mechanical fire.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah they just showed a guy that looks like his leg was blown off then the camera faded to a dark blue......Unreal. Yet another sad day in America.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Confirmed unrelated mechanical fire.
I saw the same about the JFK, but Faux News Boston is still reporting it as a bomb at JFK as of 5 minuets ago.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I saw the same about the JFK, but Faux News Boston is still reporting it as a bomb at JFK as of 5 minuets ago.
I'm hearing from people on the ground they are looking at a possible incendiary device at JFK. I hope it was just mechanical. However, if it was something planted, the security cams at JFK should tell a story.
They are also looking for a yellow PENSKE box truck that tried to enter the crime scene with "medical supplies" and was turned away.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
ITD

Quote:
BPD Commish just stated they are treating the blast at JFK library as third incident.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Diver Vince

How very sad that things in our country have deteriorated like this.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Island Girl

Default Horrific

This is very scary. the JFK incident has been discounted as unrelated. It appears they are finding other devices.

Tune into Boston AM WRKO 680 for continuing coverage. You can find it on the internet and tune in radio on mobile devices.

These reports can change with new information.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
How very sad that things in our country have deteriorated like this.

History repeats and we allow, if not encourage, it. I wonder if stronger military and intelligence activity might have sniffed this one out.

>>>>>> Let us remember that `if we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it, and involve others in our doom.’ It is a very serious consideration…that millions yet unborn may be the miserable sharers of the event.” – Samuel Adams, speech in Boston, 1771
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
History repeats and we allow, if not encourage, it.
I'm curious as to how you think we might be encouraging this type of thing. Unless we want to give up our essential liberties and live in a police state, there's always going to be a risk that some a**hole is going to do something crazy. And unless you're pretty high up in state or local law enforcement or employed by a three letter federal agency, you have no idea what kind of intelligence gathering, threat assessment and counter-terrorism operations are going on to keep us safe.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
GFP (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Tank151

Default Gutless

Quote:
Horrible event.. it's on all of the Networks.. Channel 4 Boston has live coverage.. actually pulled some of the live video as '"too gruesome"
Another "GUTLESS" act by individual(s) who think this the method for solving world social issues. When/if we find these individuals, we ought to have a public hanging to show these Terrorists that we will not tolerate these acts.

Our deepest thoughts and prayers for those who lost their lives, that were injured and their families and friends.
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Bear Islander

My company does the sound, electric power and timing for the Boston Marathon. I have been on the race committee since 1983. The clocks across the finish line are ours. If you watch the videos on TV you see a scissors lift right next to the blast. That is where our speakers are and where I was standing. Thankfully all my employees are ok. I have a ruptured ear drum but all in all that is no big deal. I saw some terrible things in the minutes after the blast.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
My company does the sound, electric power and timing for the Boston Marathon. I have been on the race committee since 1983. The clocks across the finish line are ours. If you watch the videos on TV you see a scissors lift right next to the blast. That is where our speakers are and where I was standing. Thankfully all my employees are ok. I have a ruptured ear drum but all in all that is no big deal. I saw some terrible things in the minutes after the blast.
Wow, I'm glad you and your employees are okay!
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
I'm curious as to how you think we might be encouraging this type of thing. Unless we want to give up our essential liberties and live in a police state, there's always going to be a risk that some a**hole is going to do something crazy. And unless you're pretty high up in state or local law enforcement or employed by a three letter federal agency, you have no idea what kind of intelligence gathering, threat assessment and counter-terrorism operations are going on to keep us safe.
Suffice to say we have made significant changes to our policy on intelligence gathering
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Suffice to say we have made significant changes to our policy on intelligence gathering
Changes that possibly "encouraged" what happened in Boston today? Like what?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default why change the subject

Quote:
It was a tragedy lets leave it at that and not turn this thread about it into a pissing contest.
I think we can all agree that our current government has issues and needs fixing, this thread isn't about that, but what happened at the marathon.
TMI from past experience I have learned the best way to stop it is to ignore the comments and move on.
Just Sold (04-16-2013), SteveA (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #20
jetlag100

Brothers from Wakefield, Mass., were victims. Each one of them lost a leg. May have been one of them, you saw..........
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
dt5150

awful, just awful. a disgusting act of senseless violence on innocent people. my thoughts and prayers are with the folks in bean town today.
dt5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
nhboat61

Quote:

I'm glad to hear you are ok.

My step-son usually volunteers at the race via his fraternity. This year he choose to see the Sox game and just entered the T just before the explosions hit.

He lost his cell and we had a few tense hours trying to locate him. The campus police finally tracked him down and he called us.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Bear Islander;

Glad you and your employees are O.K. Hope your ears heal quickly and your eyes and mind forget the horrible scenes you witnessed.

Such a senseless tragedy...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Now that's too close, BI! Glad you are ok!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Glad you and all of your employees are OK. It must have been horrible scene to see.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Well when those three lettered agencies, department of homeland security and even the so called president of the USA all out refuse to call terrorism by name, and refuse to recognize where it's source is that is a fundamental problem don't you think? Doesn't take a police state to do common sense surveillance and yes profiling of those who commonly would carry out such acts.

What happened yesterday regardless of who perpetrated it was terrorism, I find it fascinating that the president's comments later on that day omitted the obvious.

While I have no desire to may political hay out of such a despicable act - the fact it happened doesn't surprise or shock me in the least. Why? Because until the political correctness gets out of the way of identifying what causes this behavior to occur history is destined to repeat itself.

My heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost loved ones, and to those that were injured my prayers for their families who will be forever changed as a result of this.

Finally BI, thankfully you were not hurt bad.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Just Sold

Quote:

BI - I am glad that you are OK as well as your employees. I hope that your ruptured ear drum heals quickly.

My prayers go out for the 3 that lost their lives and to the many injured and their families.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Well when those three lettered agencies, department of homeland security and even the so called president of the USA all out refuse to call terrorism by name, and refuse to recognize where it's source is that is a fundamental problem don't you think? Doesn't take a police state to do common sense surveillance and yes profiling of those who commonly would carry out such acts.
You're engaging in cognitive dissonance. There are many sources of terrorism, from right wing extremists and left wing radicals right here in our own country, to the more familiar jihadists that many people seem to be singularly focused on.

Quote:
What happened yesterday regardless of who perpetrated it was terrorism, I find it fascinating that the president's comments later on that day omitted the obvious.
Perhaps he "omitted the obvious" because... it's obvious.

Quote:
While I have no desire to may political hay out of such a despicable act - the fact it happened doesn't surprise or shock me in the least. Why? Because until the political correctness gets out of the way of identifying what causes this behavior to occur history is destined to repeat itself.
And yet, here you are making political hay out of this despicable act.

Quote:
My heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost loved ones, and to those that were injured my prayers for their families who will be forever changed as a result of this.

Finally BI, thankfully you were not hurt bad.
Agreed.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
JMR

Default Bi

BI

Glad to hear that you were not injured worse. It must have been a hell of a day.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Brothers from Wakefield, Mass., were victims. Each one of them lost a leg. May have been one of them, you saw..........
I'm so sorry - I saw some of the pictures last night and wish I hadn't. This type of act will change many peoples lives and I hope for the best.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
MAXUM

Quote:
You're engaging in cognitive dissonance. There are many sources of terrorism, from right wing extremists and left wing radicals right here in our own country, to the more familiar jihadists that many people seem to be singularly focused on.

Perhaps he "omitted the obvious" because... it's obvious.

And yet, here you are making political hay out of this despicable act.

Agreed.
I am not engaging in cognitive dissonance, this is so crystal clear no need to introduce a bunch of psycho babble terms to muddy the waters. I did not identify any particular potential responsible party for this for a reason, cause it could be any one of the afore mentioned. However just for argument's sake let's say that based on what happened and how it happened it's probably likely that two of the three could be considered less likely. Right and left wing loons may have their issues, but they typically do not target innocent people in an attempt to injure or kill on a mass scale.

I do believe that the President's comments were very carefully worded as to not offend anyone (as usual) and his continued refusal to call it what it is to me is telling. Being able to vocalize the cause is step one. Apparently we aren't there yet, and in today's world that's a scary thought.

I am not making political hay out of this, just stating observations. I have not made any disparaging comments in regards to any politician with the exception of the president's comments which is hardly political and my comment was simply an observation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-20-2013), Seaplane Pilot (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
KonaChick

To put a human face (or forum name) on this, I'm just extremely grateful that my husband is safe and OK. That's all......
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KonaChick For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-16-2013), SteveA (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #33
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I do believe that the President's comments were very carefully worded as to not offend anyone (as usual) and his continued refusal to call it what it is to me is telling. Being able to vocalize the cause is step one. Apparently we aren't there yet, and in today's world that's a scary thought.
What would you have wanted him to say? It's obvious that this was an act of terror, regardless of who is responsible. That should go without saying. Who would you have wanted the president to offend in making his comments? Other than a blanket condemnation of whoever is responsible (which was done), there's really no more that can responsibly be said at this time, because right now we have no idea who did this.

As far as "vocalizing the cause," what cause are you talking about? We have no idea right now what motivated the coward(s) responsible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
catdon (04-16-2013), Chaselady (04-16-2013), Winnigirl (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
codeman671

Thumbs down lock it down

This is getting a bit political...Lets lock this thread before it deteriorates further...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ITD (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Belmont Resident

Default What bothers me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I'm so sorry - I saw some of the pictures last night and wish I hadn't. This type of act will change many peoples lives and I hope for the best.
Is that for a month the media will run the same news over and over again making sure none of us forget it. I've already talked to a couple of others this morning that say enough is enough, unless there is new information why make those who knew someone who was injured of worse relive this by running the same pictures and video across the TV screen.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #36
Chaselady

For those who can't take anymore....shut off the TV. But we should all be thankful we live in a country where information is forthcoming.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-25-2013), Nagigator (04-16-2013), Sal (04-16-2013), Shreddy (04-17-2013), Winnisquamguy (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #37
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
For those who can't take anymore....shut off the TV. But we should all be thankful we live in a country where information is forthcoming.
Ya, but the media are vultures. Did you happen to catch some of the questions on Fox. Oh and what about the guy who lost his son while his wife and daughter are both in the hospital? Ya the road had to be taped off to prevent the vultures from invading his privacy. It is pathetic what lengths the media will go to get a story in this day. In many cases what they report is found to be unfounded.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
MAXUM

Quote:
What would you have wanted him to say? It's obvious that this was an act of terror, regardless of who is responsible. That should go without saying. Who would you have wanted the president to offend in making his comments? Other than a blanket condemnation of whoever is responsible (which was done), there's really no more that can responsibly be said at this time, because right now we have no idea who did this.

As far as "vocalizing the cause," what cause are you talking about? We have no idea right now what motivated the coward(s) responsible.
So if it was so obvious why not just call it like it is, or do you play the PC card till it becomes apparent that polling data shows that wasn't a popular thing to omit. What would I have wanted him to say, well what would Harry S Truman say if he were in the white house?

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything.
Harry S. Truman

Vocalizing the cause = simply put "terrorism".
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #39
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything.
Harry S. Truman
Yes!! But first, you have to know who "them" is. And you better be 100% sure.

Quote:
Vocalizing the cause = simply put "terrorism".
Terrorism is the result, the cause has yet to be determined.

Quote:
Right and left wing loons may have their issues, but they typically do not target innocent people in an attempt to injure or kill on a mass scale.
See: McVeigh, Timothy and Rudolph, Eric.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #40
eillac@dow

Default Boston Bruins National Anthem

Thought I would share a video from tonight's Bruins game. It is simply amazing. Makes me proud to be a Bostonian and more importantly....an American.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Hope I attached the link correctly!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Den65 (04-18-2013), HellRaZoR004 (04-17-2013), jeffatsquam (04-18-2013), Pontoon Goon (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #41
Bear Island South

1 Dead, 1 Captured
Hopefully this is the end of a horrific week for Boston.
Thanks to all the LEO's for keeping us safe.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (04-20-2013), chefbrown (04-19-2013), DRH (04-19-2013), SteveA (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #42
ApS

Thumbs up On-Line Scanner...Who Knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
1 Dead, 1 Captured
Hopefully this is the end of a horrific week for Boston.
Thanks to all the LEO's for keeping us safe.
• Anyone listen to the local police/FBI/EMT takedown of the 2nd suspect on an on-line scanner?

(The only scanner I'm aware of that has commercials!)

• One interesting part near the end was the result of an "open mike".

Miranda has been given to the suspect perp.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #43
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
• Anyone listen to the local police/FBI/EMT takedown of the 2nd suspect on an on-line scanner?

(The only scanner I'm aware of that has commercials!)

• One interesting part near the end was the result of an "open mike".

Miranda has been given to the suspect perp.
I was listening to Mass State Police Special Ops all day on my radio. It was great hearing everything unfold as it happened. I was amazed at how many false reports were broadcast on the national news outlets. I'm proud of the way the law enforcement, EMS and my brother boston firefighters handled themselves.

Open mics are a common occurrence and not a surprise with hundreds of people on portable radios.
The suspect was NOT given his Miranda rights. He will, instead, be held under the Public Safety Exemption.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #44
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The suspect was NOT given his Miranda rights. He will, instead, be held under the Public Safety Exemption.
'Hadn't heard of a "Public Safety Exemption", although the withholding of Miranda is a common practice—at first.

Many news sources have "walked-back" their stories—NBC included...

Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
snowflake

Default Marathon bombs

I live in one of the towns that was in lockdown yesterday. It was frightening. Fortunately, the second suspect has been caught. The law enforcement officers from Boston, Watertown, FBI etc. did an unbelievable job and we can't thank them enough. On Thursday there was a very moving Interfaith Prayer Service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Ministers from several faiths participated and spoke. We continue to pray for the deceased and the many who will spend a lifetime healing from their wounds.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #46
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
'Hadn't heard of a "Public Safety Exemption", although the withholding of Miranda is a common practice—at first.

Many news sources have "walked-back" their stories—NBC included...

So true, many news outlets retracted their stories when the facts actually came out.
The special interrogation team for high valued targets will have this turd for a good 48 hours without Miranda. Hopefully he is "encouraged" if he is "unable" to remember things.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #47
NoBozo

Everyone is Happy with the results in Boston. Me to.

Is anyone concerned with the Massive Power brought to bear by the FEDS to capture ONE 19 year old... AND Shut Down the economy of one of the largest cities in America..??? I'M Very Concerned. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-23-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default No, not concerned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

Is anyone concerned with the Massive Power brought to bear by the FEDS to capture ONE 19 year old... AND Shut Down the economy of one of the largest cities in America..??? I'M Very Concerned. NB
I am not concerned at all and it was an appropriate reaction to the situation. Think of all of the damage more bombings in the city could have caused. Fenway Park, Sumner Tunnel, The Garden? Think of the uncertainty on the part of the citizens of Boston if they knew this subject was still on the loose and capable of more terrorism. Think of the additional costs of security to government and private industry everywhere if this subject had remained on the loose. Think of the "closure" and steps toward emotional healing the killing of one brother and capture of the other brought to the families of those killed and injured.

Look at the mesage this appropriate and swift justice sends to any potential future terrorists. Don't try this or any similar act of terrorism, we will hunt you down and bring you to justice!

The only negative here is that the second subject was not killed during the capture. Now we (taxpayers) can hire a lawyer for him, pay for a shrink, and house him for the next 60 or so years at a cost in the millionsof dollars.

No, I'm not concerned at all! Great job by all of those involved!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (04-21-2013), Bear Island South (04-20-2013), catdon (04-21-2013), Chaselady (04-20-2013), chipj29 (04-29-2013), DRH (04-20-2013), Happy Gourmand (04-21-2013), HomeWood (04-20-2013), PaugusBayFireFighter (04-21-2013), RailroadJoe (04-20-2013), Sandy Island fan (04-20-2013), Winnisquamguy (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #49
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not concerned at all and it was an appropriate reaction to the situation. Think of all of the damage more bombings in the city could have caused. Fenway Park, Sumner Tunnel, The Garden? Think of the uncertainty on the part of the citizens of Boston if they knew this subject was still on the loose and capable of more terrorism. Think of the additional costs of security to government and private industry everywhere if this subject had remained on the loose. Think of the "closure" and steps toward emotional healing the killing of one brother and capture of the other brought to the families of those killed and injured.

Look at the mesage this appropriate and swift justice sends to any potential future terrorists. Don't try this or any similar act of terrorism, we will hunt you down and bring you to justice!

No, I'm not concerned at all! Great job by all of those involved!
Quote:
The only negative here is that the second subject was not killed during the capture. Now we (taxpayers) can hire a lawyer for him, pay for a shrink, and house him for the next 60 or so years at a cost in the millions of dollars.
Tim McViegh (Oklahoma City bomber)only lasted about 5 years before he was put down. The Feds don't mess around.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #50
Sandy Island fan

Default "One 19 year old"?

"One 19 year old"?!?!?!!
Who, along with his older brother, killed three people and injured over a hundred? (and that's just the physical injuries - doesn't count the emotional scars to so many more). Who, along with his brother, assassinated an MIT officer who wasn't a threat to them? Who, along with his brother, were tossing IED's along a populated street? Whose brother had tried to detonate a suicide vest in an attempt to kill who knows how many more? Who was in a populated neighborhood, with - in all likelihood - additional explosives?
No, I am not at all concerned with the number of officers that worked together to get that "one 19 year old".
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-21-2013), NickNH (04-23-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #51
HomeWood

I predict that he will plea deal for giving information and be given life. 60 years or so of him thinking about how he ran over his brothers body should give him sweet dreams.

As far as the public safety exemption of Miranda, it does exist. I am an LEO and I am allowed to ask a suspect who is under arrest questions like "where's the gun or where are there more IED's" (such as this case) prior to Miranda warnings. The PS exemption is really self explanatory, but some people have watched too many tv cop shows and apply what they see there to reality. It's very frustrating to us in law enforcement.

Last edited by HomeWood; 04-20-2013 at 10:38 PM.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #52
HomeWood

Quote:

I'm concerned that that concerns you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (04-20-2013), Pontoon Goon (04-20-2013), Sandy Island fan (04-21-2013), TiltonBB (04-21-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
HomeWood, as a LEO, maybe you can answer some questions that I have.

When the tactical teams were going door-to-door in Watertown, did they need consent from the homeowners/occupants in order to enter the homes and conduct a search? If not, what exception to the 4th amendment applies in a situation such as this?

Was the shelter in place message from the governor (or whoever issued it) an order, or a request? If it was an order, under what authority (short of imposing martial law) can a government official order the citizens of a large city and four surrounding communities to stay inside? If citizens of Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, etc. had been found walking on the sidewalk yesterday, would they have been subject to arrest or detention?

These are not rhetorical questions. Without their ability to use 20/20 hindsight, I'm not surprised by the level of force that was brought to bear yesterday by the police and federal agencies. The suspects had already demonstrated the ability and willingness to kill and maim large numbers of innocent people, and nobody at the time knew if the remaining suspect (and possibly accomplices) had the capability to do even more. But, I don't think it's ever wrong to ask questions about how far our government can legally go in its efforts to protect those who have given their consent to be governed. The ends do not always justify the means.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (04-20-2013), GsChinadoll (04-23-2013), nhbasser (04-29-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #54
HomeWood

Quote:
HomeWood, as a LEO, maybe you can answer some questions that I have.

1) When the tactical teams were going door-to-door in Watertown, did they need consent from the homeowners/occupants in order to enter the homes and conduct a search? If not, what exception to the 4th amendment applies in a situation such as this?

2) Was the shelter in place message from the governor (or whoever issued it) an order, or a request? If it was an order, under what authority (short of imposing martial law) can a government official order the citizens of a large city and four surrounding communities to stay inside? If citizens of Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, etc. had been found walking on the sidewalk yesterday, would they have been subject to arrest or detention?

These are not rhetorical questions. Without their ability to use 20/20 hindsight, I'm not surprised by the level of force that was brought to bear yesterday by the police and federal agencies. The suspects had already demonstrated the ability and willingness to kill and maim large numbers of innocent people, and nobody at the time knew if the remaining suspect (and possibly accomplices) had the capability to do even more. But, I don't think it's ever wrong to ask questions about how far our government can legally go in its efforts to protect those who have given their consent to be governed. The ends do not always justify the means.
1) They would need consent to search door to door in order to just check. I don't know of any law that allows a warrantless search without consent in this kind of scenario. No consent would be needed if a) an arrest warrant was active for suspect #2, and b) if there is probable cause to believe he is hiding or barracaded in one of those residences. Also, no consent is needed if in direct pursuit of a suspect who is running and they run into a house. That would be unbroken pursuit, not 30 mins later after the officer loses sight. After that a search warrant would be needed to search a desired private residence or building. Most residents probably didn't have much of a problem letting the teams of officers search (IMO), but gaining consent after strongly insisting isn't a violation of the 4th amendment.

I don't know what might change if something is considered a military operation or something like that. That's out of my league.

2) Sounded like more of a request than an order because there were many citizens out and about that I saw on TV and there was no word of them being arrested. If it was an enforceable order, I'm sure it would have been made very very clear at the press briefings. Obviously most people took the request seriously and abided by it, which was very helpful to the efforts of all the LE agencies working.

The efforts made yesterday by all LE agencies involved were normal and everyday police practices to find a wanted person, but just on a much larger scale! Nobody bats an eye when a single neighborhood block is shut down to search for somebody, we do it all the time. Therefore, it looked unfamiliar and ok, concerning for some. This "massive power" has always existed. You saw numerous agencies working together outside of their jurisdictions, because of a thing called mutual aid. The outside agencies like Boston PD and NH State police, etc were cloaked under Watertown's police authority when officially requested to assist them (that's how NC works too. See the Dem Nat'l convention in Charlotte as an example). Feds and Mass Stateys obviously have jurisdition to begin with. This person is/was extremely dangerous and if the precautions taken for him were not done and another person was hurt or worse.....then what?

Last edited by HomeWood; 04-21-2013 at 02:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #55
ApS

Unhappy 'Doesn't end...

Quote:

...and...

Quote:
1) I'm about in the middle on this, having followed this operation on the on-line scanner.

I'd be quick to want the perp's discovery should the perp be somewhere on my property; however, those asserting their 4th Amendment rights will receive a notation somewhere in police and public records.

On the other hand, it was the Feds who granted the asylums and student visas that precipitated all this.

2) Multi-agency officers set up a perimeter with tank-like vehicles—milled about—and a citizen calls-in the perp's presence outside the perimeter!

BTW I: Both perps walked from the bombing scene. The living perp somehow managed to drive their hijacked SUV ahead and "finished-off" his handcuffed brother while trying to run over police at that subsequent crime scene.

(By then, the police had run out of ammunition).

BTW II: The family has a shoplifting history at the Natick Lord & Taylor's.

BTW III: Anyone see what two movie stars attended the same school as the perp?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #56
tis

Quote:

I don't know if concerned is the word I would use, but I couldn't believe that it took that many LOs to arrest him.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #57
MAXUM

A huge shocker these guys are tied to and involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations as if that was ever really in doubt from the moment this happened, but I'll digress from the "obvious" and move on.

This is a really tough call in measuring the response of law enforcement versus the rights of the people. The feds, local and state LEO's are all sworn to protect the public and there is no doubt the public needed protection from these two guys. At the same time the people have rights to. I think any prudent thinking individual would deduce that the situation warranted the response. Nobody knew what these two were capable of, what if any assistance they may have had, things were developing quickly and these guys were on the run so a very dynamic situation to say the least. However make no mistake about it, clearly they had no regard for human life and in a densely populated urban environment there isn't a whole lot of options other than take these guys down asap with deadly force or more innocent people could pay the ultimate price. If they hadn't come in with overwhelming force and additional people were killed I think there would have been hell to pay, at the same time I think some are giving them hell for over doing it and that's not fair. Well the way I look at it, in a situation like this rather see to much than not enough. One final thought, there is a BIG difference between the man hunt for these guys and potential constitutional rights of the people being violated versus the same thing occurring without any just cause or due process. So kudos the all the LEO's involved in taking these guys down, they did a great job.

The media on the other hand big fat zero in my book, they all failed miserably to accurately report the hard news.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
JPC (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #58
ITD

I'm not too concerned about the shutdown that occurred to search for these guys. I'm very concerned about the shutdown in Massachusetts that occurred during the big snowstorm we had a few months ago where the Governor instituted a fine if you were caught driving.

That being said, I think we need to be very careful as rights are potentially infringed in the name of safety. There needs to be a line drawn as to when this type of action is justified and when it is not, right now that line seems very blurry.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-23-2013), nicole (04-21-2013), wifi (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #59
Bear Islander

I finally got to the Finish Line Saturday to shut down and remove some of our equipment. Had to wear white bio suits, booties and rubber gloves and have an FBI escort. The timing computers were still reckoning the time since the starts to the thousandth of a second.

Sometimes it is the little things that get to you. In the middle of the announcers table was a sandwich with one bite out of it.

This photo of my wife and I was taken a few minutes before everything changed.
Attached Images

Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (04-21-2013), Argie's Wife (04-30-2013), bclaker (04-30-2013), HomeWood (04-21-2013), Just Sold (04-21-2013), LongBay (04-23-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #60
HellRaZoR004

At one point on the scanner I heard a call go out for officers to report how long they've been on duty (if over 9 hours). Someone came on and said something like 28 hours.....at some point that get's dangerous all by itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-23-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #61
P-3 Guy

Quote:
A huge shocker these guys are tied to and involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations... The media on the other hand big fat zero in my book, they all failed miserably to accurately report the hard news.
If by "involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations" you mean something more than surfing the internet, than you're right, the media really has failed miserably, because they haven't reported anything more than that.

What do you know for a fact that the media hasn't reported that rises to the level of "involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations"?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #62
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
If by "involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations" you mean something more than surfing the internet, than you're right, the media really has failed miserably, because they haven't reported anything more than that.

What do you know for a fact that the media hasn't reported that rises to the level of "involved with radical Islamic terrorist organisations"?
Why does it seem like you're always defending these guys???
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #63
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Why does it seem like you're always defending these guys???
Always defending these guys? No, I'm not "defending these guys;" here are a few things that I've said previously in this thread:

"this despicable act"

"this was an act of terror, regardless of who is responsible"

"We have no idea right now what motivated the coward(s) responsible."

Does that sound like I'm "defending these guys"?

It's just that things usually go better when facts are used as the basis for a discussion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-22-2013), Just Sold (04-21-2013), NickNH (04-23-2013), patman (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #64
Belmont Resident

Default I agree the media has been terrible.

False reports time and time again.
During this event we really noticed just how bad WMUR is with reporting.
We have seen stories unfold in NH where many of the stations out of state are much more informed with what happen then our own local station.
What really bothered us was just how much time WMUR put into reporting about this bombing over and over and over again. During this time we had a tragic accident in Laconia that left a young girl dead and her friend in the hospital in serious condition yet almost no time was given to this story.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #65
HomeWood

Quote:
...and...

BTW II: The family has a shoplifting history at the Natick Lord & Taylor's.
I worked in the Loss Prevention office of that store in the late 90's while in college. Small world, eh.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #66
patman

Quote:
BTW I: Both perps walked from the bombing scene. The living perp somehow managed to drive their hijacked SUV ahead and "finished-off" his handcuffed brother while trying to run over police at that subsequent crime scene.

(By then, the police had run out of ammunition).
The older brother was the one that was out of ammo from what I read. (Deveau = Chief Edward Deveau)

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...bvM/story.html

Quote:
After several minutes, the elder brother, Tamerlan, walked toward the officers, firing his gun until he appeared to run out of bullets, Deveau said. Officers tackled him and were trying to get handcuffs on him, when the stolen SUV came roaring at them, the younger brother at the wheel.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/20/us/bos...ils/index.html

Quote:
"He all of a sudden comes out from under cover and just starts walking down the street, shooting at our police officers, trying to get closer," Deveau said. "Now, my closest officer is five to 10 feet away, and they're exchanging gunfire between them. And he runs out of ammunition -- the bad guy -- and so one of my police officers comes off the side and tackles him in the street.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #67
patman

Quote:
On the other hand, it was the Feds who granted the asylums and student visas that precipitated all this.
Asylum was granted back in 2002:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/04/19...us-citizenship

Quote:
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was granted asylum on September 27, 2002, receiving his green card on June 10, 2004.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #68
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
The older brother was the one that was out of ammo from what I read. (Deveau = Chief Edward Deveau)

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...bvM/story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/20/us/bos...ils/index.html
During this shootout the MBTA cop is shot and bleeds out, he goes into cardiac arrest on scene. Two cops are doing CPR during this whole thing. Two of the six cops in the shootout are off duty. They had a pressure cooker bomb as well as 3 grenade type bombs thrown at them. Over 200 rounds were fired between the brothers and the Watertown/MBTA cops. They tackled suspect 1 and were nearly killed by the fleeing SUV. He dragged his brother 30 ft. Hopefully the coroner will confirm officer Donahue's bullet was the fatal shot. He deserves the recognition of killing the guy who nearly killed him.
The Watertown cops and fire along with the Mount ER staff saved officer Donahue's life. They deserve nothing but praise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
HomeWood (04-21-2013), Resident 2B (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
NHKathy

Default Anybody else see police activity Fri AM at the Rest Area just before Tilton on 93 N?

We got up early Friday morning to head to the Lake for the weekend to open up the cottage and as we were getting everything ready to go, we heard the news of what was developing in Watertown. We left RI around 6AM.
Needless to say, instead of listening to music for the ride up like we normally do, we had on news radio for the entire 3.5 hr trip...
There were noticeably a lot of state troopers and other police vehicles along the highway in different areas, especially around the Mass Pike area of Rt.495... At this time, early Friday morning - the 2nd bomber was still on the loose and his whereabouts were unknown.
The most interesting part of the ride up was when we were traveling 93 N, somewhere after Concord but before Tilton, around 9:00 -two State Police vehicles flew by us, with their lights on. Then a few minutes later, 2 more go flying by, these two seemed to be going even faster than the first two... We were starting to really wonder what was going on now. Then we notice that the 2nd two vehicles were getting off the rest area exit, the rest area just before Tilton, the rest area we usually make a stop at... Well, we decided we would not stop there today. Then, two more State Police vehicles go by, again with their lights on, and again even faster than the others -we were traveling 75mph and they went by us like we were stopped!
So, as we drive by this rest area, the state troopers (all 6 of them) are surrounding a tractor trailer and a man (who I'm assuming was the truck driver) was walking away from the cab, backwards, with his hands in the air.
I wish I thought of videoing this, but all happened so fast, and I was truly kinda scarred at this point, especially because at the time, the 2nd guy was still on the run, or so we thought. Was he in this tractor trailer? Here in NH?? I don't know if this was related to Friday morning's happenings or not -maybe it was just a random check? or maybe it was an unrelated crime? I never heard or saw anything about it, either in the newspaper or on the news.
Anybody else out there see any of this?
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #70
RailroadJoe

Default smart thinking

Scary times. Glad you were smart enough to drive by and not stop. Haven't heard anything about the incident.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #71
Winnisquamguy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
We got up early Friday morning to head to the Lake for the weekend to open up the cottage and as we were getting everything ready to go, we heard the news of what was developing in Watertown. We left RI around 6AM.
Needless to say, instead of listening to music for the ride up like we normally do, we had on news radio for the entire 3.5 hr trip...
There were noticeably a lot of state troopers and other police vehicles along the highway in different areas, especially around the Mass Pike area of Rt.495... At this time, early Friday morning - the 2nd bomber was still on the loose and his whereabouts were unknown.
The most interesting part of the ride up was when we were traveling 93 N, somewhere after Concord but before Tilton, around 9:00 -two State Police vehicles flew by us, with their lights on. Then a few minutes later, 2 more go flying by, these two seemed to be going even faster than the first two... We were starting to really wonder what was going on now. Then we notice that the 2nd two vehicles were getting off the rest area exit, the rest area just before Tilton, the rest area we usually make a stop at... Well, we decided we would not stop there today. Then, two more State Police vehicles go by, again with their lights on, and again even faster than the others -we were traveling 75mph and they went by us like we were stopped!
So, as we drive by this rest area, the state troopers (all 6 of them) are surrounding a tractor trailer and a man (who I'm assuming was the truck driver) was walking away from the cab, backwards, with his hands in the air.
I wish I thought of videoing this, but all happened so fast, and I was truly kinda scarred at this point, especially because at the time, the 2nd guy was still on the run, or so we thought. Was he in this tractor trailer? Here in NH?? I don't know if this was related to Friday morning's happenings or not -maybe it was just a random check? or maybe it was an unrelated crime? I never heard or saw anything about it, either in the newspaper or on the news.
Anybody else out there see any of this?
Maybe the tractor trailer was filled with marijuana ...after all Saturday was 4/20. I have not read anything in the local papers about it.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #72
NoBozo

Default I Don't Want to Go Hear..

I RESPECT the Webmasters attitude toward corrupting his website with politics..

I was bashed about my short comment about my "Concern" about overreach by the FEDS in Watertown.

Check out these Pictures and Video, which you may have already seen. I am appealing to those who May NOT have seen this Video. YOU Decide..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-GUNPOINT.html

NB
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #73
Just Sold

I agree with the webmaster and and your new post NoBozo is out of line. It has nothing to do with Lake Winipesaukee and the lakes region. Time to shut down the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #74
Rusty

Lookup "Exigent circumstance in United States law".

God Bless America.
ITD (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #75
LongBay

Default This does have something to do with Lake Winnipesaukee and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I agree with the webmaster and and your new post NoBozo is out of line. It has nothing to do with Lake Winipesaukee and the lakes region. Time to shut down the thread.
Why do you think that for some folks who live in the lakes region and were directly impacted by this event should not be discussed? It's not just about the houses on the lake but also the people who live in them. Mr. Webmaster, please do not drop this thread.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #76
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
It has nothing to do with Lake Winipesaukee and the lakes region. Time to shut down the thread.
Last time I checked, the Constitution still applies in the lakes region. So, a discussion here of whether or not we should be worried about infringements on our constitutional rights (in the lakes region, of course) may very well be appropriate. Of course, the Webmaster makes the final call on that.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #77
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Last time I checked, the Constitution still applies in the lakes region. So, a discussion here of whether or not we should be worried about infringements on our constitutional rights (in the lakes region, of course) may very well be appropriate. Of course, the Webmaster makes the final call on that.
I'm with just sold, it's getting old. Bad enough the news will be running with this for the next 3 months and FB is also flooded with the same things your seeing over and over again on TV.
I agree it is a tragedy and I'm all with bringing us up to date on new developments.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #78
fatlazyless

......arrgghhhh.....I'll probably get slammed for bringing this item up but here goes .....here's a New Hampshire connection to the Boston Marathon bombing......On February 6, 2013, the older brother purchased a $199.99 firework item containing four launch tubes and 24 black powder shells from Phantom Fireworks in Seabrook, NH. For buying this one item, he received a second similar item for free in a 'buy one-get one free promo deal.'

Do Massachusetts stores have fireworks items like this item for sale?

Maybe he travelled the 45-minutes to one hour-drive time from Cambridge, MA to Seabrook, NH, depending on traffic, to avoid the Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax or more likely, it's because Mass has no fireworks stores (is this correct?)?

Suggest you read about it in today's April 24 New York Daily News which includes a photo of the fireworks item and the store in Seabrook, NH.

www.nydailynews.com

This particular firework item is described on the box as "barely legal."

www.fireworks.com for Phantom Fireworks
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #79
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I'm with just sold, it's getting old. Bad enough the news will be running with this for the next 3 months and FB is also flooded with the same things your seeing over and over again on TV.
I agree it is a tragedy and I'm all with bringing us up to date on new developments.
As with any thread, forum members who feel like a topic is getting old always have the choice not to click on the thread and read anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (04-24-2013), secondcurve (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #80
LakeSnake

FLL - no fireworks allowed down in Mass. No stores, no nothin.

Not to fan the smodelring fire here but there is (in my mind at least) a BIG difference between searching a house under "Exigent circumstance" and forceing the residents/owners out at gun point. I think the 4th Amendament was clearly violated if that is the case.
Personally I had been thinking all along that the response level was a little over the top. I know hind sight is 20/20 but look at how he was actually apprehended in the end - local citizen/local cops.
Was it an opportunity for a power play by the gov't - you bet - did they take that opportunity - you bet.
Grandpa Redneck (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #81
kauriel

My understanding is that the MIT officer who died had family in Lakes Region and I would guess other victims also had connections to the lake as well so let's all take a moment to pay some respect to him and all those hurt in the bombings.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #82
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Why do you think that for some folks who live in the lakes region and were directly impacted by this event should not be discussed? It's not just about the houses on the lake but also the people who live in them. Mr. Webmaster, please do not drop this thread.
With that mindset anything could be tied back to the lakes region in SOME manner. I ate pizza for lunch, there are pizza places in the lakes region. There are some in the area of the bombing. Does that make it a lakes region topic?

Political views are meant to be kept off the forum per the webmaster, and at one point this thread was headed that way. Thats why I requested it be locked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmi guy

Perfect example above. I think enough is enough on this thread.

To FLL's comments on fireworks: reloadable mortars/shells were legalized in NH a year ago I believe. I still cant understand it, mortars are legal but bottle rockets and firecrackers are not????
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #83
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
My understanding is that the MIT officer who died had family in Lakes Region and I would guess other victims also had connections to the lake as well so let's all take a moment to pay some respect to him and all those hurt in the bombings.
This has nothing to do with respect at all. This subject has been beaten and miked for all it is worth and many other very news worthy things have been ignored. How about a little respect for those people.
This is a lakes region web-site, this has nothing at all to do with the lakes region. Just because there is a personal tie doesn't make it a lakes region subject.
This is exactly why many of the older members of the forum have left. For me it's more entertainment.
gillygirl (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #84
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

I remove threads all the time that are unrelated to the Lakes Region. Since 9/11 I have also made exceptions for monumental events. This monumental event happened very close to home and directly affected many of our members. I do try to contain the comments within a single thread and they are usually closed after everyone has had a chance to comment. If I had removed this thread and prevented any comments about the bombings I would have been harshly criticized and probably lost more members than if I allowed it.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
bclaker (04-30-2013), catdon (04-24-2013), Charlie T (04-25-2013), DRH (04-24-2013), HellRaZoR004 (04-24-2013), Just Sold (04-24-2013), LongBay (04-24-2013), Merrymeeting (04-24-2013), NHKathy (04-25-2013), NoBozo (04-24-2013), Pine Island Guy (04-25-2013), Pontoon Goon (04-25-2013), RailroadJoe (04-24-2013), Rusty (04-24-2013), Sal (04-30-2013), trfour (04-24-2013), WakeboardMom (04-30-2013), Winnisquamguy (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #85
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I remove threads all the time that are unrelated to the Lakes Region. Since 9/11 I have also made exceptions for monumental events. This monumental event happened very close to home and directly affected many of our members. I do try to contain the comments within a single thread and they are usually closed after everyone has had a chance to comment. If I had removed this thread and prevented any comments about the bombings I would have been harshly criticized and probably lost more members than if I allowed it.
You have a tough job. I am glad I don't have to make these decisions. You can't please everyone. Thanks for all you do. I can't imagine all the work you put into this forum!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
DRH (04-24-2013), NHKathy (04-25-2013), winnisummergal (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #86
HomeWood

It appears that these two brothers weren't quite finished. Maybe all that pesky police work was worth it......

http://www.wral.com/police-boston-su...york/12381659/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/25...-times-square/
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #87
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
It appears that these two brothers weren't quite finished. Maybe all that pesky police work was worth it......

http://www.wral.com/police-boston-su...york/12381659/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/25...-times-square/
Actually he was found when they allowed the citizens to come out of their homes. The boat owner came out of his house and saw the shrink wrap was loose on his boat, found the suspect in his boat and called police. (in an area they had already canvassed and claimed was secure by the way)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #88
HomeWood

Sometimes the needle in the haystack is missed at first. Watertown and the surrounding area is a large haystack to secure and search. It's not surprising that he managed to sneak around undetected for so long. Sometimes suspects are able to "double back" in a search area. I've seen it happen numerous times in person.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #89
gillygirl

Default Heard the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
(in an area they had already canvassed and claimed was secure by the way)
I heard that the home was just outside their search area.

I used to live north of Route 16 but in the same general area as the shootout and search. It would be relatively easy to slip from yard to yard in the dark of night, but the area is hemmed in by major roads and a river.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #90
chipj29

I get up early for work as I commute from Bow to Cambridge. Fri 4/19 I was on the road and started hearing the news. I didn't hear the part about not coming into the city until I was almost at work, so I kept going to the office. My office is about 2-3 miles as the crow flies from where they ended up finding the guy. I stayed at work until noon, and it truly was a surreal experience. The very busy road our office is on was more or less abandoned by private vehicles. There was a constant stream of police cruisers (marked, unmarked, SUVs, SWAT etc), ambulances, and rescue vehicles going by. At about 11AM, at least a dozen NH state troopers went by at a decent clip (I later heard that they were there to support the local officers/give them a break). I am glad I left work when I did. There was no one else on the road, and I could tell by the fire truck at the Dunkin Donuts next door (they were getting lunch) that I was not in any danger. After I got back home, I was glued to the TV.

I have NO problem with the stay in place request/order from the Gov. It was a good call considering that the guy they were looking for was A. tied to an event that killed 3 ppl and injured hundreds, B. tied to the cold-blooded murder of a police officer, and C. tied to the police chase where there was gun fire and grenade-type weapons being thrown out the window at police. The guy was desperate, and showed that he was willing to do whatever it took to get away.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #91
ApS

Question Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
"...Not to fan the smodelring fire here but there is (in my mind at least) a BIG difference between searching a house under "Exigent circumstance" and forcing the residents/owners out at gun point...I think the 4th Amendment was clearly violated if that is the case.
Personally I had been thinking all along that the response level was a little over the top. I know hind sight is 20/20 but look at how he was actually apprehended in the end - local citizen/local cops. Was it an opportunity for a power play by the gov't - you bet - did they take that opportunity - you bet.
I didn't see any Internet images that police actually used "gunpoint" to move citizens out of their houses; however, "Exigent-Circumstances" are defined by those doing the enforcing.

Quote:
"Who watches The Watchmen?"
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #92
NoBozo

Quote:
I didn't see any Internet images that police actually used "gunpoint" to move citizens out of their houses; however, "Exigent-Circumstances" are defined by those doing the enforcing.

Go back to post #72 and link to the pictures AND video. "Keep your hands above your head".........Yes Sir.. NB
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #93
LakeSnake

Quote:

Definition:
Exigent circumstances may make a warrantless search constitutional if probable cause exists. The existence of exigent circumstances is a mixed question of law and fact.[3] There is no absolute test for determining if exigent circumstances exist, but general factors have been identified. These include: clear evidence of probable cause; the seriousness of the offense and likelihood of destruction of evidence; limitations on the search to minimize the intrusion only to preventing destruction of evidence; and clear indications of exigency.

APS - I agree they may have the Exigent circumstances to conduct the search. But if you think having your teenaged child removed from your house at gunpoint, about 10 officers with military, I am sure fully automatic rifles pointed at your child with thier fingers on the trigger while he is searched - twice- with his hands up - then your definition of "limitations on the search to minimize the intrusion " and mine are vastly different.

Please read and support the Constiution of US - it is at risk in these crazy time we live in.

P.S. you won't find those immages on any main stream media source. Because they don't want you to.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #94
tis

I must admit, I was pretty shocked by the video No Bozo posted. Until he posted that, I had no idea how that whole scenario was carried out. I had no idea they were moving people out of their houses at gunpoint, with their hands in the air. The tv news certainly did not report it.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #95
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default tired of the media

The media have focus thier attention on the 2 brothers instead of the victims. I'm getting tired of this.......................
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #96
tis

Well, we all know how the media is. That is why those who only get their news from the 6:00 news, have no idea what is really going on with anything in the country, not just this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-02-2013), Grandpa Redneck (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #97
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Well, we all know how the media is. That is why those who only get their news from the 6:00 news, have no idea what is really going on with anything in the country, not just this.
I think Don Henley said it perfectly!!

"We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry!"
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #98
NoBozo

Quote:
Those would be the "Low Information Voters".

For those that don't frequent the internet news places: Go to the Drudge Report for starters...Drudge doesn't WRITE articles..he just Links you to other articles. YOU Decide. NB

http://www.drudgereport.com/
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #99
tis

Yes, NB. Low Information voters. I check out the Drudge Report more than once every day. He often has the news a couple of days before anybody else. That is if anybody else bothers to run it at all.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #100
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Yes, NB. Low Information voters. I check out the Drudge Report more than once every day. He often has the news a couple of days before anybody else. That is if anybody else bothers to run it at all.
And have you noticed that the links are often to UK papers, who seem to have better stories on this so far?

This whole thing hit way too close to home. Bear Islander's post sounds much like other stories I've heard from folks who were in the midst of it all - many people in our area were impacted by this bombing, as many had families in the marathon or were in it themselves. It's no small thing. I'm glad Don left this thread up - thanks!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote