Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #1
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default Dots

I haven't been down that way in quite a while but I was wondering if the old Dots restaurant down past the Alton rotary was still there. It was one of my grandfather favorites.

Last time I was by I'm pretty sure it was renamed and maybe expanded, but again that was a while ago,,,

Just thinking about some of the places we went to on the south side of the lake as a kid.

There quite a few places to go for food in Alton area in the 60's and I have fond memories of all of them. Dont think we ever had a bad experience once. Those were good times ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 689
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 648 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Perhaps this will help you on your journey down memory lane.


https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=20470
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #3
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,074
Thanks: 540
Thanked 972 Times in 678 Posts
Default

It's still there and it's Johnson's now.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 1,347
Thanked 566 Times in 400 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's still there and it's Johnson's now.
Great meals.

Bring ear protection.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,118
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,875
Thanked 1,666 Times in 923 Posts
Default Totally re modeled inside

It has been totally remodeled from the studs out. Over the last year or so, a tavern was added in the west end of the building.

Good food, a lot of it fried, but good. Good variety of ice cream for dessert!!!!!

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Thanks!

So many trips there during my youth,,,

I seem to recall my grandfather liking their pie, was there maybe a blueberry option???
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 197
Thanks: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Default

ďDots lunchĒ havenít heard that name in over 30 years!

When they closed is sat vacant for a while as I remember.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Wink Winnipesaukee Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
“Dots lunch” haven’t heard that name in over 30 years!

When they closed is sat vacant for a while as I remember.
Well I think the last time I was there, the old Alton roller skating rink was still in business.

In the 1960's we had so many places we would regularly eat at you would almost wonder if we cooked at home.

As best I recall, and most places I dont remember the names,,,

Baileys in Wolfeboro

The Dockside in Wolfeboro

The old diner in Alton across from Parker marine and Downings Landing

Johns diner in Alton behind the General Store

The Donut shop next to the mini golf/across from the General Store

The restaurant at Sandy Point which later in the 80's and 90's had a great breakfast/brunch buffet (maybe dinner too) on maybe Sundays???

Same for B-Maes in the 80's/90's crazy good dinner buffet maybe on weekends???

My still go to place Sawyers in Gilford, I could get a burger/hotdog/coleslaw/coffee frappe there any time and be happy!

Harts Turkey Farm, well what can you say about Hearts that probably has not already been said a million times,,,

Pizza at the Weirs Boardwalk, since forever,,,

Probably forgot more places than I can remember.

Some day I'll dig through the tote buckets I have of families photos and see if I have anything worth posting. Our family has done far and away more vacationing to Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains than anywhere else we have gone. In the last 70 years its been our most common destination for fun.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 197
Thanks: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I was a line cook at B-Mae Dennyís for years! Loved the food there.

My grandparents owned Downings and served food before I was born but used to go down and play on all the rides and games.

Donít forget Melís and Sallyís in Alton Bay!

Jensenís restaurant up town served great breakfast and lunch.

I was also a breakfast cook at the owls nest in west alton too!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 328
Thanks: 82
Thanked 116 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Well I think the last time I was there, the old Alton roller skating rink was still in business.

In the 1960's we had so many places we would regularly eat at you would almost wonder if we cooked at home.

As best I recall, and most places I dont remember the names,,,

Baileys in Wolfeboro

The Dockside in Wolfeboro

The old diner in Alton across from Parker marine and Downings Landing

Johns diner in Alton behind the General Store

The Donut shop next to the mini golf/across from the General Store

The restaurant at Sandy Point which later in the 80's and 90's had a great breakfast/brunch buffet (maybe dinner too) on maybe Sundays???

Same for B-Maes in the 80's/90's crazy good dinner buffet maybe on weekends???

My still go to place Sawyers in Gilford, I could get a burger/hotdog/coleslaw/coffee frappe there any time and be happy!

Harts Turkey Farm, well what can you say about Hearts that probably has not already been said a million times,,,

Pizza at the Weirs Boardwalk, since forever,,,

Probably forgot more places than I can remember.

Some day I'll dig through the tote buckets I have of families photos and see if I have anything worth posting. Our family has done far and away more vacationing to Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains than anywhere else we have gone. In the last 70 years its been our most common destination for fun.
Don't forget the Edgewood Restaurant on Route 28 in Alton. I think that has been gone for over 40 years or so.

Didn't Dot's used to have an old Railroad Signal at that location? I seem to recall that..... After all, the Railroad ran by there up until 1930 or so.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 197
Thanks: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Edgewood went out in the late 80ís maybe early 90ís or so.

Yes, Dots had the old train lights and sign out front forever!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 689
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 648 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

Same for B-Maes in the 80's/90's crazy good dinner buffet maybe on weekends???
Oh! my Mud, pie ....... after dinner.... one of my favorites places in the 80's.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
pondguy
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 48
Thanks: 374
Thanked 89 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Lets not forget Foxy Jonnies or the Flight Deck.

Last edited by pondguy; 08-09-2020 at 03:16 PM.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
I was a line cook at B-Mae Dennyís for years! Loved the food there.

My grandparents owned Downings and served food before I was born but used to go down and play on all the rides and games.

Donít forget Melís and Sallyís in Alton Bay!

Jensenís restaurant up town served great breakfast and lunch.

I was also a breakfast cook at the owls nest in west alton too!
During my pre-teen years we used to stay on Echo Point, and Downings was where the fun began. The smell of the old premix fuel told you fun was coming. I vaguely recall playing pinball there and also at Sandy Point. No idea what it cost back then, too long ago for me to remember. Always loved going under the bridge from Parker to Downings and tooting the horn in our old Glastrons with the clothesline steering system ;-) For me, there was no better time period than the 1960's and 1970's and especially when at Winnipesaukee. The world should be that good today.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-09-2020), Tallyho (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Don't forget the Edgewood Restaurant on Route 28 in Alton. I think that has been gone for over 40 years or so.

Didn't Dot's used to have an old Railroad Signal at that location? I seem to recall that..... After all, the Railroad ran by there up until 1930 or so.
Yes it did!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 1,347
Thanked 566 Times in 400 Posts
Thumbs up Not Likely to Happen Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
It has been totally remodeled from the studs out. Over the last year or so, a tavern was added in the west end of the building. Good food, a lot of it fried, but good. Good variety of ice cream for dessert!!!!!
Dave
A couple of years ago, returning from Rochester's Home Depot, I stopped in at Johnson's.

I'd just finished my broiled haddock dinner, when my neighbors walked in--totally unplanned--and their first meal there, ever.

No, not my neighbors from Wolfeboro--my neighbors from Florida!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
barefootbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 294
Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Well I think the last time I was there, the old Alton roller skating rink was still in business.

In the 1960's we had so many places we would regularly eat at you would almost wonder if we cooked at home.

As best I recall, and most places I dont remember the names,,,

Baileys in Wolfeboro

The Dockside in Wolfeboro

The old diner in Alton across from Parker marine and Downings Landing

Johns diner in Alton behind the General Store

The Donut shop next to the mini golf/across from the General Store

The restaurant at Sandy Point which later in the 80's and 90's had a great breakfast/brunch buffet (maybe dinner too) on maybe Sundays???

Same for B-Maes in the 80's/90's crazy good dinner buffet maybe on weekends???

My still go to place Sawyers in Gilford, I could get a burger/hotdog/coleslaw/coffee frappe there any time and be happy!

Harts Turkey Farm, well what can you say about Hearts that probably has not already been said a million times,,,

Pizza at the Weirs Boardwalk, since forever,,,

Probably forgot more places than I can remember.

Some day I'll dig through the tote buckets I have of families photos and see if I have anything worth posting. Our family has done far and away more vacationing to Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains than anywhere else we have gone. In the last 70 years its been our most common destination for fun.
What about Pops it has been a fixture in Alton Bay for over 60 years with great consistency !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #18
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Not a sea food guy myself, but yes my family did eat there and enjoyed it!

If I had to list my favorites:

The 1960's Donut shop in Alton next to the mini golf. BEST donuts ever!

Sawyers, LOVE the burgers, hotdogs, coleslaw, coffee frappes!

B Maes for dinner, always left a smile.

Shibleys Ice Cream, best soft serve.

The old Baileys Restaurant hot fudge sundae, its was very old fashion with "gritty" hot fudge. Always perfect.

Best Holiday meals, Harts its just classic!

Well thats what I think I remember, but then again some of these memories are like 50+ years old and subject to nostalgic errors ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #19
Tallyho
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 308
Thanks: 424
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Dots

Does anyone remember the Wagon Wheel Restaurant? It was located on Rt 11 at the junction of RT 153 in between Farmington and Rochester. As I recall it had a large tree growing up through the dining room roof. Probably wouldn't be allowed today. It disappeared in the late 50s early 60s.
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #20
KPW
Senior Member
 
KPW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 346
Thanks: 643
Thanked 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not a sea food guy myself, but yes my family did eat there and enjoyed it!

If I had to list my favorites:

The 1960's Donut shop in Alton next to the mini golf. BEST donuts ever!

Sawyers, LOVE the burgers, hotdogs, coleslaw, coffee frappes!

B Maes for dinner, always left a smile.

Shibleys Ice Cream, best soft serve.

The old Baileys Restaurant hot fudge sundae, its was very old fashion with "gritty" hot fudge. Always perfect.

Best Holiday meals, Harts its just classic!

Well thats what I think I remember, but then again some of these memories are like 50+ years old and subject to nostalgic errors ;-)

You can still get the original Bailey's hot fudge sauce at Skelley's in Moultonboro. I know they have it at Bailey's Bubble - not sure if you can buy it by the jar there.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
You can still get the original Bailey's hot fudge sauce at Skelley's in Moultonboro. I know they have it at Bailey's Bubble - not sure if you can buy it by the jar there.
GREAT tip, many thanks.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
Paugus Bay Resident
Senior Member
 
Paugus Bay Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gilmanton, NH
Posts: 727
Thanks: 125
Thanked 86 Times in 47 Posts
Default

I remember the Wagon Wheel. We had a camp on Northeast Pond in Milton and made the trek up to Alton regularly (water ski shows, roller skating, mini golf). Had the camp from the late 50s and we sold it in 2009 and long run. Best summers there. Wish we still had it.

Remember Dell-O's Lodge where JPs is. The adults would hang out there while we played.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
Tallyho (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #23
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,165
Thanks: 331
Thanked 811 Times in 394 Posts
Default




"Owner-management: Mr. and Mrs. Ralph J. Dello Iacono. Tel. Alton, N.H. TRiangle 5-7700. 'Everything for your vacation pleasure' Entertainment nightly, Movies, dancing with orchestra in recreation hall. Cabana and swimming pool. Good food, comfortable rooms, cocktail lounge. Ideally situated for all nearby sports and other activities. Gay atmosphere - informal and congenial. Only a 2 hour ride from Boston via Rt. #1 to Portsmouth, NH on to Spaulding Turnpike to Rochester, onto Rt. #11 to Alton Bay. Also trains from North Station and busses from Park Square, Boston. Rates Resonable.
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Paugus Bay Resident (08-11-2020), TheTimeTraveler (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #24
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

So this may be a strange memory, but was there a "Live Bait" shop at the back of this parcel in the 60's ???
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #25
Little Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 494
Thanks: 82
Thanked 193 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
So this may be a strange memory, but was there a "Live Bait" shop at the back of this parcel in the 60's ???
Yes, it was a bit further down the street that ran next to the Dell-O-Lodge. The name of it was "Babbs". (not sure of exact spelling).
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #26
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 650
Thanks: 338
Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Default

My Grandfather was a frequent customer and very particular about his night crawlers ;-)

Mom used to have to drive him down from Echo Point, and then we would hit the old donut shop.

Good times ;-)

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #27
Tallyho
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 308
Thanks: 424
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Bait shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Yes, it was a bit further down the street that ran next to the Dell-O-Lodge. The name of it was "Babbs". (not sure of exact spelling).
George Babb's Bait and Tackle. There was another one also, Loon Cove Sport Shop, owned by Mr Ray Witherbee, a fine gentleman.
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tallyho For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-11-2020)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.17249 seconds