Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Ken

Default Driving a boat with a skier or tuber

Had the scare of our lives when we took our grandson tubing. Another boat was out there with a skier behind it. The driver came within 50 feet of my grandson who had fallen off the tube. The driver was watching his skier and not where he was going. We rushed back to my grandsin yelling and blowing the horn at the other driver to stop. He finally saw us and stopped less then 50 ' from my grandson. Please make sure that when you drive your boat, you observe all the rules and keep your eyes out. Very scary and ruined our day. And yes my grandson was slapping the water to let others know he was there. Please be careful out there.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
chipj29

That would be very scary. Was there a spotter on the other boat? The driver of the boat should be focused on operating the boat. The spotter watches the skier. Stuff like that drives me bananas.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
That would be very scary. Was there a spotter on the other boat? The driver of the boat should be focused on operating the boat. The spotter watches the skier. Stuff like that drives me bananas.
Yes, and there is supposed to be a separate spotter for each individual being towed, if I'm remembering my safety course from last summer correctly.

It would seem that it's just common sense that the driver should not be acting as a spotter, but after some of the things I saw on the lake this summer, it doesn't seem like common sense is all that common.

I'm very glad your grandson is ok and I hope the other driver learned a lesson from this scare.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
NH_boater

Actually, I believe it is up to two skiers, only one observer necessary. Up to six tubers, still only two observers necessary.

Anyone who thinks they can tow six kids on a tube safely, with two observers, they are crazy.

http://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/...-Towing-Skiers
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Ken

The other boat had a observer, but the driver was watching the skier and not where he was going.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Anyone who thinks they can tow six kids on a tube safely, with two observers, they are crazy.

http://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/...-Towing-Skiers
Agreed, for 6 kids, you really need 3 tubes. It's always good to have empty spots on the tubes so they can hop from one tube to another too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Yesterday I saw something I have never seen before. Three people were being towed on a what looked to be a paddleboard. Looked like a Mom and two kids. I don't know how they hooked up the paddleboard, but it certainly wasn't a wake board because it was much longer.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Jersey Joe

I never understood why NH doesn't have a "ski flag" law. I believe it really does help identify that there is a skier (or tuber) in the water. It may have been just enough to catch this knuckleheads attention.
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
I never understood why NH doesn't have a "ski flag" law. I believe it really does help identify that there is a skier (or tuber) in the water. It may have been just enough to catch this knuckleheads attention.
This subject was brought up numerous times and found 'inexpedient to legislate'.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The problem is most drivers want to be able to see the spills and thrills as well... Unfortunately as the operator of the boat, the last thing you should be concerned with it what is going on behind you with a tuber or skier... I miss many great tube spills every year...... but that is the price I know I need to pay, to make sure my stepsons enjoy the rides....
Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
tis

A long time ago I posted this scenario and never got an answer. Since we saw a single ski floating for a long long time out in the middle, it comes to mind. If someone drops a ski and another boat comes along and hits it, who is responsible? The person who dropped the ski because he damaged the other boat, or the boat because he damaged the ski?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
A long time ago I posted this scenario and never got an answer. Since we saw a single ski floating for a long long time out in the middle, it comes to mind. If someone drops a ski and another boat comes along and hits it, who is responsible? The person who dropped the ski because he damaged the other boat, or the boat because he damaged the ski?
I had this exact thing happen about 5 years ago on lake Sunapee.

I was up on two ski's and got close to shore in a quiet bay and dropped one. Moments later another boat (some kid with dad's boat) ran over the ski . Ripped the ski on half and had fiberglass splinters everywhere.

Prop shaft (inboard) was bent and had major vibrations. We offered to tow the boat in but they declined. That's the last of it...

In my mind he's at fault for not looking in the water (the ski's were solid white). I'm sure he was pissed I put it there, but there's nothing I could have done different (besides not dropping it).

Last edited by HellRaZoR004; 09-03-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
AC2717

I dont think that is any different then there being floating debris in the water. You need to pay attention to where you are going and what is in front of you. Also benefit of the doubt that they might not have seen the ski you dropped, but still leans to the boat driver a.k.a The Captain
Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

A suggestion on towing tubes. I was always taught when I was skiing that if your ski is still near you then hold it up if another boat is approaching. Can't do that tubing. When pulling a tube and a rider falls off, don't do the usual circling back at speed in a big arc. Immediately come to headway speed and turn directly back to the tuber and speed back up. This should get the attention of another boat.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The problem is most drivers want to be able to see the spills and thrills as well... Unfortunately as the operator of the boat, the last thing you should be concerned with it what is going on behind you with a tuber or skier... I miss many great tube spills every year...... but that is the price I know I need to pay, to make sure my stepsons enjoy the rides....
Yup, I deal with the same. Fortunately, there's usually a photographer with a 3 or 8 frames per second digital SLR on my boat, so there's often excellent photos of the mayhem.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I had this exact thing happen about 5 years ago on lake Sunapee.

I was up on two ski's and got close to shore in a quiet bay and dropped one. Moments later another boat (some kid with dad's boat) ran over the ski . Ripped the ski on half and had fiberglass splinters everywhere.

Prop shaft (inboard) was bent and had major vibrations. We offered to tow the boat in but they declined. That's the last of it...

In my mind he's at fault for not looking in the water (the ski's were solid white). I'm sure he was pissed I put it there, but there's nothing I could have done different (besides not dropping it).
This is a good topic. We frequently drop a ski. We do it in the cove, as close to shore as is safe/legal. We then drop the skier (assuming they don't fall) at the ski at the end of their run.

Last weekend, a couple on a waverunner saw the ski floating as they were riding. They picked it up and brought it to us. They were nice people, and I looked at it as "wasn't that nice?". But after they left, and thinking over the fact that they made a couple of comments about how tough it was to see it floating, I wondered if they did it out of annoyance, (again, they were very pleasant people) and were doing it so they could make a comment to us rather than as a favor. Not sure.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Honestly... I think you're both at fault. If you're consciously leaving hazards in an area of water that you don't control (eg: pretty much anywhere on Winnipesaukee) then you're just being irresponsible. Your personal ski acrobatics are not THAT important.

Similarly, if you're not able to see something floating in front you, you're not paying enough attention.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

When droping a ski it is in the skiers, boat owners, ans skis best interest that it be done, in a location that it out of the way of main stream traffic... To of course limit the possibility that another craft accidentally find it in their way...

I have often wonder why Winnipesaukee doesn't have some designated ski area's for this reason... Not that it would keep you from skiing anywhere on the lake... But some designated ski areas would be helpful, as they would be area's where people would expect to see a lone ski floating along.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
When droping a ski it is in the skiers, boat owners, ans skis best interest that it be done, in a location that it out of the way of main stream traffic... To of course limit the possibility that another craft accidentally find it in their way...

I have often wonder why Winnipesaukee doesn't have some designated ski area's for this reason... Not that it would keep you from skiing anywhere on the lake... But some designated ski areas would be helpful, as they would be area's where people would expect to see a lone ski floating along.
From my understandings, all the "best" ski areas seem to be ringed by homes that would put up a bitchfest if that happened.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Back in the 80's...

...which is the last time I have been waterskiing, when I wanted to try my luck with slalom skiing, I would drop the ski by Dad's dock, and my mom or wife would swim out and get the ski. If we were out on the lake, away from the dock, Mom or my wife or some other adult, would don a vest, and go in the water with me. We would start off close to shore, make a loop around and drop a ski near the adult who would the retrieve the ski and wait to be picked up after a little skiing. Water had to be warm, or it was skiing with two skis.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
HellRaZoR004

Today I would rather leave the ski by itself then to have a person and a ski become a victim.

I think the point I tried to make is no matter where I dropped the ski this guy would have hit it anyways. It wasn't in a main boating area and was very close to shore.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
tis

We never went out to get the ski but we never dropped it out in the middle either. If I knew someone was going to drop, I would make a swing back around and they would drop there. I was just a little kid when I first slalomed and right away learned to get up on one so it wasn't a problem for long but for some people they have a hard time getting up on one so they just always drop. We always used the beach start.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
HellRaZoR004

Learning behind a 1956 Chris Craft made it a little difficult to get up on a single ski. That boat didn't have the hole shot like others.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
cillovely

Well in my history props come and props go and get bent and you need new ones. I have damaged two now one this past July in Paugus Bay. My fault didn't see the marker, going to fast and boom, hit shallow. (I will say in my defense my hubby said to go faster, but I should have studied the map a little closer before doign so). At least hubby is mechanically inclined and could fix it. I opened up my wallet and paid the price once again.

My son is not quite tube ready and he'd be the only one who could since it's just us three. Spotters need to be at least 13 years old, right? But I'm in no hurry since it can have it's scary moments.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Learning behind a 1956 Chris Craft made it a little difficult to get up on a single ski. That boat didn't have the hole shot like others.
My first time succesfully getting up on 2 skis was behind a Downings rental boat that John Minihan's dad had rented for him. It was a 15'/16'Lyman with no windshield. After that I learned to slalom behind my Dad's 1959 19' Lyman with the 109 HP Grey Marine engine. I started from shore every time and never did the drop a ski thing. Being very young and light weight getting up on 1 ski was easy.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
A suggestion on towing tubes. I was always taught when I was skiing that if your ski is still near you then hold it up if another boat is approaching. Can't do that tubing. When pulling a tube and a rider falls off, don't do the usual circling back at speed in a big arc. Immediately come to headway speed and turn directly back to the tuber and speed back up. This should get the attention of another boat.
That is a great idea, SIKSUKR. Most of my life on the lake and I never heard of that and it makes total sense. If you drive directly back to the person in the water, the oncoming boat would move to avoid you even if they didn't see the person.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
Well in my history props come and props go and get bent and you need new ones. I have damaged two now one this past July in Paugus Bay. My fault didn't see the marker, going to fast and boom, hit shallow. (I will say in my defense my hubby said to go faster, but I should have studied the map a little closer before doign so). At least hubby is mechanically inclined and could fix it. I opened up my wallet and paid the price once again.

My son is not quite tube ready and he'd be the only one who could since it's just us three. Spotters need to be at least 13 years old, right? But I'm in no hurry since it can have it's scary moments.
A woman with a wallet? Your husband is a lucky man!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I started from shore every time and never did the drop a ski thing.
I too never learned slalom by dropping a ski, it was from shore. Hit the gas, and a couple of hops and off. Probably not the easiest way. It may have effected my first few tries dropping my first ski...learning to barefoot. Ouch! That was not a fun experience.