Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
dayvsea

Default Portable generator

Be nice to have one in case of a repeat..Our camp was one of the last in service.. ALSO, might be nice to have one that can help in Hartford in the off season, run the forced air Oil heat, and some lights.. Looking for ease of use/carry, quiet, reputable, etc. I rely on the expertise of this board!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

If a portable unit as small as 2,000 watts is what you are looking for, the Honda EU2000i is a great little generator. Very quiet, high quality power for your electronics and the Eco-Throttle cuts back engine speed to just meet demand. More expensive but in the long run the features are worth it.

We use it to run the furnace, refrig, computer and some high efficiency lights.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...elid=EU2000IKN
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

That Honda is a great little genset and if I remember correctly a 2nd can be slaved to the 1st for a 4KW genset.

Remember Power (watts)=E (voltage) X I (current).

A 2000 watt generator can run approximately 16.5 amps worth of "stuff". In this case I=2000/120.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
dayvsea (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
MDoug

Default Portable Generator

We installed an 8,000 watt Northstar unit powered by a Honda gasoline engine and have not regretted it at all here on Bear Island! The contractors also installed a generator circuit box next to the NHEC line box. Although the unit is heavy (portable only for two men) and a bit noisy, it's nice to have enough power to run the hot water heater safely as needed in addition to pump, lights, microwave, refrig, and TV.

BTW, when Metrocast finally goes down after an outage (usually within an hour or so), we have hulu.com on the laptop, which we run to the TV with a regular VGA cable. The new Fairpoint DSL at Cattle Landing gives us a good signal. For sound we use our USB speakers on the laptop.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
dayvsea (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
dayvsea

Thanks all for the responses, The Honda sounds good, I will have to find my wattages that I use in both places..(Mdoug I do the same thing!) Vitabene thanks for the Ohms law reminder (It's been a long time!).. Slickcraft huh..I used to drive a Slickcraft of a friends all about Cape Cod bay.. Very seaworthy rig.. Thanks for the response..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
songkrai

The engine is one of the main factors in any portable generator.
The three major ones known for reliabilty are:
Honda
Yamaha
Subaru

All actually manufacture generators also but to some may be pricey.
Other brands use the Honda or Yamaha or Subaru engine for their branded generator products.

I would stay away from any generator with any engine manufactured in China at this time. Parts and repairs could be an issue. Briggs and Stratton are now selling some products with engines manufactured in China.

Tank size is important. So do make sure you have enough fuel for whatever emergency you anticipate and duration.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
gf2020

For about 1/2 the price of the Honda EU2000i, I bought a Generac iX2000.

http://www.generac.com/Portables/iX/Products/iX2000/

It seems fine. On-line research shows that the Honda is a little quieter but for $500 I can put up with a little more noise.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That Honda is a great little genset and if I remember correctly a 2nd can be slaved to the 1st for a 4KW genset.

Remember Power (watts)=E (voltage) X I (current).

A 2000 watt generator can run approximately 16.5 amps worth of "stuff". In this case I=2000/120.
As a rule you can't run generators in parallel because they will not be in phase, certain Hondas can do this, but only the models that are made for this. Do not try to "slave" generators together that aren't designed specifically for this purpose and made to be used together.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
songkrai

"In 1998, Generac sold its portable products division to a private equity group, who later sold it to Briggs & Stratton Corporation. Upon expiration of a non-compete agreement related to the sale, Generac re-entered the portable generator market in 2008, re-establishing its historic leadership in that category. In late 2006, Generac was sold to CCMP Capital, New York, N.Y.
In 2009 CCMP took a write-off, described as a non-cash goodwill and trade name impairment charge, of $583.5 million against their purchase of Generac.[2]
Aaron Jagdfeld was appointed president and chief executive officer of Generac Power Systems in 2008. Through his leadership, the company refocused its vision and branding strategy. Jagdfeld also marshaled the company’s resources to quickly re-enter the portable generator market."

LINK

Generac today does manufacture their own engines in Wisconson. Best to purchase any Generac from an authorized Generac dealer as parts and repairs may/could be an issue. Since design and manufacture are relatively new durabilty and longevity have not been established yet.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Swanpoint guy

Default Honda EU2000i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
If a portable unit as small as 2,000 watts is what you are looking for, the Honda EU2000i is a great little generator. Very quiet, high quality power for your electronics and the Eco-Throttle cuts back engine speed to just meet demand. More expensive but in the long run the features are worth it.
I've had this little baby for several years. LOVE IT. with inverter technology the power is clean enough for vedio and computer use. Sips gas. With 7 days without power in CT ran a couple rooms of lights, frig, chargers. Whet 10-12 hours on a gallon of gas. Very quite. My kids and wife are comfortable using it.

Beyond that we use it for all kinds of things. Take it tailgating and camping (blender, crock pot, TV). Light weight and easy to take anywhere. We host a big football tournament and use it to run computers and printer to sell live action photos. worth the bucks
Swanpoint guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
codeman671

I have a Generac IX2000 that I leave at the island and just picked up an auxillary tank to keep it going longer. I ran 2 refrigerators on it after the hurricane to save the food and it worked well. The only problem I ran into was tank size- I had to go back up every day to fill and restart it but with this new 5 gallon setup tied in I think it will work ok until I decide to go with something larger.

I have a 5000 watt portable as well but its a bit overkill just to run 2 items. If we spend more time on the island next year like we originally planned to this season I will probably bring up the 5000 and tie in a transfer switch.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default used one?

Check local consignment shops, Craigs list and e-bay. You might be surprised how much you can save.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
RLW

Check your local yard sales also. The past 3 or 4 weeks when I was out checking a few local ones, I saw 2 at different yard sales. One was still sitting on the pallet that it was shipped on and the price was $175 and it was a 5K unit and the other was a used one that showed 13 running hours on it and the tag asked $125 and it was a 3.5K unit and very clean.
Just a suggestion...
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Wow, I don't even need more generators but I would buy either one of those in a heartbeat for those prices. Most 5000 watt start around $500 minimum. Where might these be located?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow, I don't even need more generators but I would buy either one of those in a heartbeat for those prices. Most 5000 watt start around $500 minimum. Where might these be located?
One was on route 11 in either Farmington or Rochester. Very close to the line. I can't be sure, but I think that location was the 3.5K. I'm not sure where the 5K was located as I traveled here and there most every weekend, but I'm thinking very strongly it being in the vicinity of the Wolfeboro area. Again I'm not sure, but I know it was the first one that I saw and almost purchased it for a resale as I have the full house setup at my homestead. Sorry I can't give an exact location, but it was 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'll be traveling in the direction next week and will keep an eye out and report if I see either one.

SIKSUKR (09-28-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
feb

Default How many watts are needed?

I've said it before but this time I'm really going to buy one...

Could someone give me a ballpark size of generator to buy if I want to run 2 refrigerators, a forced hot air furnace blower, and maybe a TV or a few lamps?

Thank you.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
As I stated in thread 15, that I would check for you as I went another yard sale venture. I followed just about the same path I took and found the other generators and did not see either one, but I did come across a couple 3K and 1 4.5K units ($125 to $250). All were not in the greatest of shape, but all started but one of the 3K. My neighbor and I went just looking for generators as he needs one badly for a sump pump. He should just go out and buy a new one, but he wants to save a few ˘'s.
SIKSUKR (11-04-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post

Could someone give me a ballpark size of generator to buy if I want to run 2 refrigerators, a forced hot air furnace blower, and maybe a TV or a few lamps?

Thank you.
Depends on the size of the refrigerators and their efficiency rating. Also depends strongly on if they start at the same time or you can stagger them. I would buy a 3000 watt. Honda makes a nice quiet one.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Rusty

Buy yourself an Interlock Kit if you're going to use a generator.

Here is a video that shows you how it works:

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (11-04-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Default Recommendation from former power manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post

Thank you.
Checked for you with my father who was in charge of emergency power plants at NJ Bell, and he recommended a generator between 4000 and 5000 watts to run all that. We presently have several offices here at Verizon NJ running on generators. My brother is presently a power tech still working for VZ and he put in lots of OT this weekend.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
Depends on the size of the refrigerators and their efficiency rating. Also depends strongly on if they start at the same time or you can stagger them. I would buy a 3000 watt. Honda makes a nice quiet one.

I use to run a little more than that on my 3K generator (Sears & Roebuck)and now my son has it and he is running just what you want on it with no difficulties whatsoever.

Last edited by RLW; 11-01-2011 at 01:13 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #22
feb

Default Thank you

Thank you for the responses, it has helped narrow down what I should be looking at.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
extremenewenglander

Default generator

Genarac is the only way to go. No reason to go cheap or expensive since you use it only a handful of times. I use the 4000XL for whole house capabiltiy. Quiet and effecient on running 8 hours on less than three gallons. I've had mine 10 years and it starts first pull, plus it is a third of the cost of those Hondas Over and out....signed, retired contractor who's lively hood depended on generators at times!
extremenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremenewenglander View Post
Genarac is the only way to go. No reason to go cheap or expensive since you use it only a handful of times. I use the 4000XL for whole house capabiltiy. Quiet and effecient on running 8 hours on less than three gallons. I've had mine 10 years and it starts first pull, plus it is a third of the cost of those Hondas Over and out....signed, retired contractor who's lively hood depended on generators at times!
Couple questions...If you over load a generator what happens? Does the appliance (whatever) just not work, does everything running off it go out? Also most quiet ones say there app. 55-60's db for noise. How much is that, I have no idea. In relation roughly how loud is a typical walk-behind lawn mower? That would be a good gauge for me to estimate lets say the mower running on fast, how you typically would use it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #25
Lakepilot

Here's a sound level comparison chart. A power mower is 107dB and normal conversation is 60-70dB. A whisper is 30dB.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
RLW (11-02-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Couple questions...If you over load a generator what happens? Does the appliance (whatever) just not work, does everything running off it go out? Also most quiet ones say there app. 55-60's db for noise. How much is that, I have no idea. In relation roughly how loud is a typical walk-behind lawn mower? That would be a good gauge for me to estimate lets say the mower running on fast, how you typically would use it.
Good question. Any responses?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #27
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
If you overload a generator and it does not have an overload protection switch, you will cook something, most likely one of your appliance motors or similar. Under powering any electric motor is quite damaging and usually kills it rather quickly. It is quite common to hear of a well pumps getting fried when generators are used due to under powering during start up.

As far as sound goes, I have a 17500 watt portable gas Generac generator that sounds like a freight train when standing next to it! I don't care however as I have no neighbors close by and it can be barely heard in the house and is on the opposite side of the house as our bedroom. I also have a 6500 watt Honda portable that I use at the camp that is whisper quiet. You could put it between two people and carry on a normal conversation, it is that quiet. You do pay for this convenience however!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
Rattlesnake Guy

When we use our generator, I always keep a light on which allows me to gauge how the load sharing is doing. If the new load makes the light dim, I shed other load immediately. Things like the well get solo performances. You can also hear it in how hard the generator is working. It won't take long to figure out what keeps it happy. The other thing to remember is that the lighter the load, the longer the gas will last.

But after writing this it occurs to me that I should just plug my multi meter into an outlet to keep an eye on the voltage level. Duh.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
dpg

If you overload a generator and it does not have an overload protection switch, you will cook something, most likely one of your appliance motors or similar. Under powering any electric motor is quite damaging and usually kills it rather quickly. It is quite common to hear of a well pumps getting fried when generators are used due to under powering during start up.

As far as sound goes, I have a 17500 watt portable gas Generac generator that sounds like a freight train when standing next to it! I don't care however as I have no neighbors close by and it can be barely heard in the house and is on the opposite side of the house as our bedroom. I also have a 6500 watt Honda portable that I use at the camp that is whisper quiet. You could put it between two people and carry on a normal conversation, it is that quiet. You do pay for this convenience however!!

Dan

Thanks Dan that's perfect examples in both cases...The Honda is quite expensive!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #30
Kamper

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/f...or-safety.html

I found this link to a safety video, on www.psnh.com when I was trying to find out about power restoration. Also, if you enter "generators" in the search box on the PSNH site you will get some articles, and a couple safety pamplets in Adobe format.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #31
SIKSUKR

When I've overloaded my generators they have stalled. They both also have circuit breakers built in for each recepticle.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #32
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
When we use our generator, I always keep a light on which allows me to gauge how the load sharing is doing. ... But after writing this it occurs to me that I should just plug my multi meter into an outlet to keep an eye on the voltage level. Duh.
I suggest buying a "Kill-a-Watt" electric meter, under $30. It will show you your power consumption (watts), both instantaneous and long-term. If (for example) it shows that you're using 1200 watts, then you know that you can add the 300 watt refrigerator and still have some spare.

After Hurricane Irene, I purhcased a Honda eu2000i. It's not enough to run the whole house, but if you don't mind juggling occasionally, it's fantastic. For example, my refrigerator can easily keep food frozen for 8 hours if I don't open the door. It can keep the food frozen for 3-4 hours of normal use. When I wake up, I plug-in the refrigerator, coffee pot, and heating system. By 10 am, I've switched the generator to the computer/monitor/wifi/television for a few hours. Then it's back to the refrigerator/heating system for a couple of hours, etc. All the while, 3-5 florescent lights consume a trickle of power.

Luckily, I have a gas stove (matches needed) and a gas hot-water heater (no electricity needed). If you're stove is electric, I'd advise getting a camping stove.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #33
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
If you're stove is electric, I'd advise getting a camping stove.
The barbecue grill works pretty good too.I cooked a nice breakfast on the side burner.