Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
chasedawg

Default Mobile Electronics Solutions

Had another great experience with Mobile Electronics Solutions located in Belmont. We have a 40' motor home that has 56 halogen bulbs in the interior ceiling. The 56 bulbs would draw over 40 Amps. Moe at MES replaced the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs. The amperage dropped from 40 to 2 Amps with little heat from each fixture and a very clean looking light. He also reinstalled our GPS head unit and it is so much better. He enclosed it in a very nice looking frame.

Moe Collins is the proprietor. He has over 20 years of experience in electronics. He started his business one year ago. His business model is to do anything with electronics. He carries a great line of audio products. He has mobile vans that will come to your home, place of business or to any marina. He installs a wide range of remote car and truck starters.

I have no relationship with Moe other than as a customer he has helped me out several times with audio/GPS issues. I want to see his business grow and be successful. Today he is holding a Customer Appreciation Day at his Belmont facility.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Couldn’t agree more....

Moe and his crew do amazingly clean installs. He installed a complete stereo in my Polaris Slingshot. 8 speakers, 2 amps and a Bluetooth unit. All marine grade and completely waterproof. Hands down the best in the business North of Boston!!
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Diito! Excellent installs

Took care of a problem I had after another installer replace my factory head unit in the Formula. The head unit will just quit after being turned on for a while. Previous installer blamed the boat wiring and did not give a solution.
Moe came to the marina, take a look at the install and determined the old 1988 power leads were too large a gauge for the head unit. Replace the power leads with a smaller gauge and all is well! Very professional mod and very reasonably price! He didn't try to sell me anything. Just fix the problem, and tell me to call him if I have any further problem!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
thebix

Default Gauge number vs size of wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
the old 1988 power leads were too large a gauge for the head unit. Replace the power leads with a smaller gauge and all is well!
Seems a little odd, one can't really have 'too large a gauge'. See, for a gauge of a wire the larger the number, the smaller the wire and less current / more voltage drop it has.
So a 22 gauge wire will not carry as much current as say 16 gauge, and has a higher voltage drop so could not drive the power amp as well. I assume that you mean the gauge number was 'higher' which is a smaller wire, and was replaced with a bigger wire, smaller 'gauge' number. Just an oddity in electric wire sizes!
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
Seems a little odd, one can't really have 'too large a gauge'. See, for a gauge of a wire the larger the number, the smaller the wire and less current / more voltage drop it has.
So a 22 gauge wire will not carry as much current as say 16 gauge, and has a higher voltage drop so could not drive the power amp as well. I assume that you mean the gauge number was 'higher' which is a smaller wire, and was replaced with a bigger wire, smaller 'gauge' number. Just an oddity in electric wire sizes!
Agree probably what was done a a repair.

More or less true information but confusing and is probably what happened, However the numbering system flip flops when you add a (slash /) symbol followed by a zero meaning a 2/0 wire would be smaller than a 4/0 wire.

When a wire has the number/0 ("pronounced as-aughts") The aughts are really zeros meaning a 25/0 wire would be gigantic, again a smaller number but a larger wire, in contrast a (25 gauge) wire is pretty small.

Kinda having a similar problem with my sons boat, the sonar/gps mounted on the front of the boat crashes when we start the boat once in a while. Need to change the wiring to a smaller number gauge which means installing a larger wire.

Last edited by Top-Water; 10-21-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wires

Sorry for the confusion. I did not have the specifics on me when I posted the above.
Original power leads on the boat was 14 gauge. AEM suggested change to 10 gauge to sufficiently power the new head unit.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Woodsy

Definitely sounds like a "voltage drop" problem to me.... Glad he was able to fix it!

I have heard nothing but good things about MES.... I just haven't had the need to use them.... yet!

Woodsy