Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
oliviernh

Default Buying used boats from outside area

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with buying a boat from outside of this area...mainly in the used boat market. With the internet today you can find many used boats for sale outside of our area i.e boattrader.com etc. I was wondering if anyone had purchased a used boat from an area that was a distance away. Seems with a used boat you can find some decent deals however they are generally not located here in NH. Was curious on the experience and process you went through. For instance did you fly out to view the boat in person, did you tow it back, did you ship it, did you hire a professional to go and look at the boat for you? I was thinking it would be fairly common with the internet today but obviously I am a little hesitant to have a boat shipped, should I fly out and see it and what if it isn't as nice as it looks in pictures etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Just to put into perspective I am looking (online at this point) at a used boat in Oklahoma. Thanks!
oliviernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
ITD

I would think transport would offset any savings. The one thing I would be wary of is a boat that was used on the ocean, which is much tougher on propulsion systems than fresh water. Other than those two things, why not?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Woodsy

No matter what way you go...

SURVEY! SURVEY! SURVEY!

Woodsy
smith point boater (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
kbh

I bought a used boat 3 years ago outside the area, I was able to travel there on a business trip and made arrangements to view the boat and also had a marine mechanic survey and inspect the boat. I ended top buying the boat and made arrangements for transport (27' boat). Three years in, so far has turned out to be a great boat and good purchase. We have been very pleased with the boat and got a much better price, all in, then I could find locally.
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

I think a lot depends on the size of the boat and its equipment. Three years ago I bought a boat that was berthed in Gloucester, MA. Close enough to go see the boat. I made an offer that was negotiated, then accepted, pending sea trial and professional survey. That required selecting a surveyor (they specialize in types of boats, oil testing, etc), scheduling the surveyor, a captain for sea trials and the marina to pull the boat out of the water for bottom and propulsion inspection. Following the survey, we agreed on some work to be done and negotiated where it would be done and would the owner pay or reduce the price. Ended up, the owner had his yard do the work as they were available sooner. He paid, which was good since the actual work exceeded the estimate. When the work was done I had to pick the boat up soon or they wanted me to pay storage. Miles Marine in Gilford went to pick up the boat. They were prompt and professional, so I paid no storage.

When the boat got to Winnipesaukee, my marina had to fix the plumbing so it was legal, with no ability to discharge into the lake, before they could launch.

So, the broker was from Annapolis, the boat was in Mass, the finance came out of Ohio and the destination was Lake Winnipesaukee. I have to say that although the broker was paid by the seller, she was of enormous help in pulling everything together. She came up from MD and spent the day when we did the survey/sea trial. (www.semmesyachts.com).

It sounds complicated and it all took from July to mid-September before we launched here, but in retrospect, things went pretty smoothly. Irwin Marine at MVYC was also great.
Cost was $450 for the survey, similar for the lift fees. The owner supplied the captain. I think transport was ~ $1000. Probably another $1000 to make the sinks, shower and head legal and launch fee at MVYC.

Summary, if you want a boat that isn't available locally, as I did, it will cost something extra. If you want something that is also available locally, savings may be more perceived than real.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Do It!

Many years ago I bought a 34 Silverton in Alexandria Bay, NY and had Miles Marine truck it to Winnipesaukee. Alexandria Bay is a nice town near where the St. Lawrence Seaway connects to Lake Ontario. After contacting the dealer I drove about 7 hours to look at the boat and take a test ride. I enjoyed the town so much that I have been back 3 more times just to spend a few days there.

Two things that I think it helps when you go to see what you are interested in: Obviously you get to see the boat but it also lets the seller know that you are serious and not just a voice on the phone. You might be able to get a better deal.

I agree with the poster who said that they would stay away from boats that have been in salt water. Once the corrosion starts there is not much you can do to stop it.

There are plenty of really nice fresh water used boats from the Great Lakes to the Lake of the Ozarks. One way to search using sites such as Boat Trader is use a zip code like Chicago (60601) and set the area to a few hundred miles and most of the boats that come up should be fresh water boats. To get the right boat, for the right price, I would not be concerned about where the boat is located.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Done it and would do it again.

Prices around the lake are typically quite high on either new or used. If you are planning on having the boat shipped to you that can easily offset any savings you may be getting so make sure you calculate that accurately.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Woody38

I purchased my last boat from the mid west. Do a survey always even on a boat bought at the lake. Remember salesman puffery.
Yes shipping is a factor in contemplate and whether to go to see the boat beforehand. May be able to find someone in the area to investigate for you.
I don't understand peoples attitude with ocean boats. I had 2 ocean boats and never any failures. A friend had an outboard the kids used for skiing and they eventually threw a piston after many years of abuse. The inside of that engine was super clean to our surprise since we both heard otherwise.
Remember it is only money and things can be corrected.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Doobs41378

Our current boat came from NJ. I found it on Craigslist and called the man. My brother and I drove down on a Friday night and we went to check it out and drive it on Saturday am. It was back home in NH on Saturday night. The only sketchy part was he wanted cash so I was meeting him at a marina with a backpack full of money. All went well though.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Our current boat came from NJ. I found it on Craigslist and called the man. My brother and I drove down on a Friday night and we went to check it out and drive it on Saturday am. It was back home in NH on Saturday night. The only sketchy part was he wanted cash so I was meeting him at a marina with a backpack full of money. All went well though.
Answering a craigslist ad with a "backpack full of money" sounds awful risky to me....
Descant (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
Old Sarge

Wink Check the maintenance records!

If the boat was not maintained properly I would not touch it. Make sure records are available and track the boats history to insure it was done. A disinterested salesman can usually run the HIN# so you can get an idea of the boats history. I was looking at a boat in Pittsburg, PA. When I inspected it I noticed a few rusted screw heads in some of the compartments. Checked the HIN# and found out it was sold and spent it first three years on the Gulf of Mexico! I totally agree about getting a survey, inexpensive and they will help get the maintenance records. Good Luck!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Ms Molly McKever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Done it and would do it again.

Prices around the lake are typically quite high on either new or used. If you are planning on having the boat shipped to you that can easily offset any savings you may be getting so make sure you calculate that accurately.
I got my 280 w/twins from lake Sebago, Cost me 600.00 for Miles to bring to Gilford. You can save a lot money buying away from the big lake. Good Luck.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Answering a craigslist ad with a "backpack full of money" sounds awful risky to me....
I agree. We had spoken a few times on the phone and emailed etc. Had I had any kind of odd feelings towards him I would have not done it. Luckily it all worked out.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
SAB1

Transporting a boat is not always a big cost. Like woodsy said survey is needed. Stay away from boats that have been in the salt pond unless your willing to pay for the repairs and electrical work......
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

I've bought a lot of cars and a few boats over the years. I would not buy anything unless I visually inspected it or had someone I trusted inspect it. You can get all the pictures you want but when you go to look at it in person and talk to the owner face to face it's not always the same. I just bought a PWC locally but I looked at more than 6 over the past few months traveling mostly in New England. You can tell how someone takes care of something when you meet them. I looked at one, when I pulled in his driveway he was cleaning out empty beer cans as I got there. The machine looked like he had been drunk every time he rode it. The point is, you can't always tell what someone is like just by talking to them on the phone.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
Rich

Two others on my dock have recently done this. They said that even including the extra fees of buying remotely, shipping, etc. They found a better deal and boat than they could locally as there is a limited local market to choose from, and the prices are inflated by many dealers on the lake.

One paid a surveyer to evaluate and take photos. The other flew to inspect in person, but still had a full survey done.

Both seemed very happy after delivery.

So don't be discouraged if you can't find what you want locally, check around, but as others have said, do your homework first!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Dave R

I bought mine in Indianapolis in 2005. It's a rare boat with even rarer options, so I had to look far and wide (and for a year) to find one with everything I wanted. I flew out, surveyed it myself, and bought it in the Winter and then drove out and towed it home in the following Spring. I also happened to sell the previous boat to a guy from Chicago (who flew here to test drive it) so I towed my old boat out on the way to get the new boat. He met me in Indy.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Many years ago I bought a 34 Silverton in Alexandria Bay, NY and had Miles Marine truck it to Winnipesaukee. Alexandria Bay is a nice town near where the St. Lawrence Seaway connects to Lake Ontario. After contacting the dealer I drove about 7 hours to look at the boat and take a test ride. I enjoyed the town so much that I have been back 3 more times just to spend a few days there.
1000 Islands area is awesome. We're going back there this Summer for a 400ish mile loop cruise up the Rideau waterway, down the Ottawa River and back up the St Lawrence River.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
oliviernh

Thanks to all the replies. I had pretty much decided that if I were to go forward I would definitely fly out to see for myself. And an expert to inspect would be a no brainer. I was struggling with the shipping and even who or how to go about it. I looked on a USHIP website and it gave me an estimate of $1,600 to ship. I could drive out and back for less but it would take me quite a bit of time to get out and back. For anyone who shipped did you go through a marina or a separate shipping company?
oliviernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
codeman671

I have bought many outside of New England, some surveyed and some not. Been burned a few times on mechanical issues on non-surveyed boats. Being the son of a marine surveyor I should know better!

I had a whaler that came out of Florida, the boat looked great but the steering tube was almost rusted straight through. Basically ended up repowering the boat, it wasn't worth fixing. Still ended up selling it later on here (with the newer motor) and got out of it relatively unscathed.

My Sonic was a turd. Cosmetically had more damage than depicted, and even though it came with handfuls of receipts for work done it was all shoddy and the boat never ran right. I put a ton of money into it and dumped it the same season. From the time the hauler hooked on at Lake Havasu the problems started. This was my worst experience.

One Monterey I was trying to buy out of NY was a total mess, glad I spent the survey money on that one. Another one in Texas was a nice clean boat, but the survey gave me the ammo I needed to get the dealer down a bit and take care of the small stuff up front.

As far as shipping, I always use Uship. Overall good experiences. A few have been wingnuts, but overall no major issues. One RV I sold and shipped out via Uship was damaged upon arrival at the buyers home, the driver bottomed it out in a ditch literally at the time of delivery.

Don't be afraid to buy out of area, just do your due diligence.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviernh View Post
Thanks to all the replies. I had pretty much decided that if I were to go forward I would definitely fly out to see for myself. And an expert to inspect would be a no brainer. I was struggling with the shipping and even who or how to go about it. I looked on a USHIP website and it gave me an estimate of $1,600 to ship. I could drive out and back for less but it would take me quite a bit of time to get out and back. For anyone who shipped did you go through a marina or a separate shipping company?
I know some people have recommended U Ship but I have always used Miles Marine. Good local people who do good work at a fair price. I have heard horror stories about break downs and no insurance with U Ship as well as stories about the transport truck being impounded (with the boat) and held for four months. I am not willing to take that chance to save a few bucks.

I have use Miles Marine for a lot of things over the years and I have always been satisfied. In June 2016 I had them bring a boat from Sarasota, Florida to the lake. Once again, good work at a fair price. When the boat got to NH they did a great job compounding the boat and restoring the finish. There is a reason why all of the local marinas use them. No disappointments.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Reilly (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Never bought a boat off the lake, but reading these the first thing that came to mind was that the formula of transportation and travel costs plus risk plus finding local service plus time spent would be a very hard sell for me. I guess I'd do it if the boat I really wanted wasn't available locally, but there are so many boats within a few hours of the lake that's gotta be almost impossible?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #23
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Never bought a boat off the lake, but reading these the first thing that came to mind was that the formula of transportation and travel costs plus risk plus finding local service plus time spent would be a very hard sell for me. I guess I'd do it if the boat I really wanted wasn't available locally, but there are so many boats within a few hours of the lake that's gotta be almost impossible?

I would guess that what you would consider a hassle or nightmare some folks would consider an adventure or interesting challenge. Neither is right or wrong, just different. I have fond memories of my long distance boat buying experience, despite being stranded in the Indy airport an extra day due to snow on the trip to see/buy the boat, and the failed brakes and two blown trailer tires on the drive home with my "new" boat. That said, if I had found my boat locally, I would have gladly bought it here.

In the 11 seasons I have had my boat, the only time I saw another one like it was in Argentina.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #24
Bootkie2

Ideally it would be great to buy local but I think it really depends on what you are looking for too. Out of state sounds scary but there are plenty of good boat surveyors out there who can help you and 1600$ for shipping is a drop in the bucket when it comes to boat ownership/upkeep. Check out this guys blog when you have a chance. He has written some neat stuff about buying/selling boats and he has detailed (Very Detailed) accounts of the shopping/buying/surveying process that he experienced for each of the boats that he's owned (one of which he actually bought on lake winni).
http://www.tpenfield.com
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #25
Formula260SS

I bought my Formula off Lake Norman. Met the guy in Harrisburg and hauled it myself from there. No test drive or survey but I checked the guy out pretty well. He was a good guy, everything he said it was. That was 11 years ago and she's going strong. It's what you feel comfortable doing, the savings was worth it for me, over 10K at the end of the day.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootkie2 View Post
Ideally it would be great to buy local but I think it really depends on what you are looking for too. Out of state sounds scary but there are plenty of good boat surveyors out there who can help you and 1600$ for shipping is a drop in the bucket when it comes to boat ownership/upkeep. Check out this guys blog when you have a chance. He has written some neat stuff about buying/selling boats and he has detailed (Very Detailed) accounts of the shopping/buying/surveying process that he experienced for each of the boats that he's owned (one of which he actually bought on lake winni).
http://www.tpenfield.com
I'm friends with that guy. We borrow tools from each other all the time. He's very smart and talented.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #27
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
...the savings was worth it for me, over 10K at the end of the day.
This would be what I'd be solving for in my equation.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #28
Bootkie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I'm friends with that guy. We borrow tools from each other all the time. He's very smart and talented.

Wow thats cool. I came across Ted in a Formula boat forum back in the fall. I was doing some research on the F260 bow and posed some general questions to the forum. His advice was spot on and after reading his buying/maintemance blogs I felt comfortable enough to move forward and negotiate with the sellers of the boat we had been looking at. At the end of the day we were able to get a deal done at 17℅ below ask. So tell him thanks for me.
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
Little Bear

Default Good article in Boat US Magazine about this subject:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2016/...n=eline_020817
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Default .... sail ho?

Already mentioned this in another thread, if anyone wants to buy a used sailboat, 12-16', suggest you take a look at a Mashpee, Massachusetts-Cape Cod used sailboat business shown in the Cape Cod craigslist. Supposedly all the prices are going up 40% on March 1. Lots of photos and seems like a good way to buy a small sailboat. Mashpee is a three hours drive from Meredith, NH.

Wonder if you have to pay Mass 6.25% sales tax on a sailboat like this, purchased in Mass and used in NH? Sail boats 12' and longer need to be registered in NH, which costs about $40/year if it has no motor.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #31
robmac

Well first when buying from a sales tax state you don't have to pay tax but certain states have quirky rules regarding it. Most states if you have it hauled and show your residence in NH you're exempt. Some if you haul it they don't know where it's going. I have bought several used from the lake the final was from Gillans in the middle of the winter and sale was contingent on sea trial after a season sold it to a guy from MA. I went looking for a certain brand but I didn't want transom exhaust and found one in Hampton in salt water, the owner repowered in 2012 and put a closed cooling system in so as not to destroy the new engine. Overall I love to purchase on the lake but boat may not be available.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote