Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Boat Registration Question ?

Hello.....

I just purchased a late model Sunfish sailboat. It does not have a 'HIN'
(Hull Identification Number), anywhere to be found. Doesn't seem to exist on boat or was removed ? Boat was purchased in R.I. No title is required in R.I. for this type of boat. Was used in salt water around Narragansett.

That being said, will I have a problem Registering the boat in N.H.
I have a 'bill of sale' form the Seller.

Sunfish is 14', so according to NH boating laws, Registration is required,
for any watercraft over 12'.

Thanks for your feedback, much apprecaited !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Ross_t

I believe you can get the Marine Patrol office to send an officer and verify that there is indeed no hull number and they will then issue you one. (I was looking into this years ago for an old aluminium boat, but actually found the number before making an appointment.
Call Marine Patrol HQ to verify.
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross_t For This Useful Post:
bigdog (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
ApS

Talking Don' Need No MPs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
"...It does not have a 'HIN'
(Hull Identification Number), anywhere to be found. Doesn't seem to exist on boat or was removed...?"
First, make sure your newly purchased sailboat IS a Sunfish!

A Sunfish logo on the sail doesn't make it a Sunfish: many look-alikes were sold with that sail! Otherwise:

1) Look up high on the transom—to the right side of the rudder. The year of manufacture can be extrapolated from the Hull Identification Number.

Is there anything on the Bill of Sale that indicates numbers—a year or a model? (You don't want to contradict registration-data unnecessarily).

2) Check the sail for a very large 5- or 6-digit number. (A lot of Sunfish have been sold ). That number can be traced to the original hull. (And the previous owner).

Replacement (and some original)
sails from other sail manufacturers won't have a number.

3) Check the hull behind the splashguard: Pre-1971 Sunfish have an oval aluminum plate with the necessary S/N. Sunfish manufactured with a HIN won't have S/N plates.
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=31827

4) If your boat has bronze fittings at the rudder, there's a pretty good chance the manufacturing date of your Sunfish pre-dates the HIN requirement. That said, a common update is to replace the bronze fittings with a standard stainless-steel retrofit. (Making the HIN task yet more difficult).

5) All you need is a Bill of Sale for registering your Sunfish.

If the HIN can't be read (or seen) the registration's HIN space can be filled in with the appropriate message. Since saltwater Sunfish take a particularly heavy beating at the rudder attachment, I suggest "Erased prior—due to fiberglass repair".

BTW:

Congratulations, bigdog...You're finally getting out on the Lake—boating gently—and saving a lot of money!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote