Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Bootkie2

Default To clean or not to clean (fuel tank)

I've got a gasoline powered bowrider that is 16 years old and it's in the water all season sitting at our dock from May-Oct here on Winni. It's got a 70 gallon tank.

It's running fine currently but being the 3rd owner and not really knowing the full history, is it worth it to have the fuel tank cleaned?

And generally speaking for all of you out there, is tank cleaning part of your routine maintenance, if so how often and who does it for you (Or do you diy)?
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
DEJ

Never heard of gas tank cleaning, just draining of old or contaminated fuel. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

In over 50 years of owning boats and I have never cleaned a gas tank. Unless you know you have a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

You can take a look at your used fuel filters, even dissect them, and see if they are picking up a lot of contamination. If they look decent I wouldn't worry about it.

I do put some dry gas in during the spring in case winter condensation has caused water droplets to invade the gas tank.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
mswlogo

I’ve had 2 boats since 1986 that stayed on water all summer and never cleaned the tank. For that mater I never changed the fuel filter either

Most tanks have a pickup that does not reach the bottom, with a screen. So even if a little dirt is in there it’s not a problem.

And I’d say the bigger the tank the less likely it could ever be a problem. Largest tank I had was 35 gallon.

Never cleaned tanks in lawn mowers or rotor tillers etc. my rototiller is 30 ish years old and I can see dirt in there for as long as I can remember.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Wasn't there someone here a few years ago that posted about delamination or some other detritus in his tank that required a replacement or deep cleaning?

Added: here's a discussion about cleaning a tank: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Bootkie2

I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it. That’s what I was leaning towards but really interesting to get everyone’s point of view. Some good points raised. Thanks.
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
In over 50 years of owning boats and I have never cleaned a gas tank. Unless you know you have a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

You can take a look at your used fuel filters, even dissect them, and see if they are picking up a lot of contamination. If they look decent I wouldn't worry about it.

I do put some dry gas in during the spring in case winter condensation has caused water droplets to invade the gas tank.
Good advice about the fuel filter dissection.

You don't need to bother with the dry gas, your gas is already 10% ethanol which is quite similar to isopropyl alcohol (dry gas) when it comes to water absorption.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-06-2021), TiltonBB (10-04-2021)