Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
kberanger

Default Message from Wolfeboro Inn GM

First and foremost I would like to apologize to all who have had a disappointing experience with Wolfe's Tavern. When opening a restaurant and hotel the size of ours, there are expected and unexpected bumps to sort through. It is our ultimate intention to make sure all of our guests have a positive experience with us, and to hopefully exceed their expectations. I am aware for many of you this has not been happening, and I appreciate your feedback to me. Customer feedback - positive and negative - are crucial to success. We are taking the necessary steps to improve our quality of food and service. A new Executive Chef, Stephen Harding has joined us. He has been the Executive Chef at one of our sister properties, The Exeter Inn for the past 2 years. Stephen brings with him superb culinary experience and refreshing enthusiasm. We have also fixed our new POS (Point of Sale) system - a faulty hard drive was installed thus resulting in numerous food order/delivery malfunctions. Service staff is undergoing training sessions as well. Some of you may know that I have a long history with The Wolfeboro Inn. I was the Sales & Marketing Director from 1989 - 1998. I have recently returned this spring as the General Manager. When I first started with the Inn it had fallen on hard times. A poor reputation, neglect and mismanagement. Through many years of hard work and community support and patience we brought the reputation up to AAA 4 diamond standards and a flourishing business, bringing thousands of dollars into the community as well. We are starting our daily tours on Winnipesaukee Belle at the town docks Monday the 15th. We are proud to add this as an attraction - one more reason for out of towners to visit Wolfeboro and spend their day shopping, having lunch, and enjoying our quaint town. The staff and I are working hard to make The Wolfeboro Inn a premier resort that the community can be proud of. We have numerous corporate, social and motorcoach groups booked with us. THose groups not only benefit us, but they also spend a considerable amount of money in town. Having been through a rough time already with the Inn, I'm confident that this time around it is going to be even better. Every inch of the property - from our 44 guestrooms, ballroom, 1812 room, Tavern, waterfront, common areas and grounds have been beautifully remodeled. So I encourage everyone to please be patient - give us another try if you haven't - and keep the feedback coming - we want your support. It's our best tool to make your experience a positive one. Thank you - Karen Beranger, General Manager
kberanger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kberanger For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-11-2009), chipj29 (06-11-2009), Irish mist (06-11-2009), Jonas Pilot (06-11-2009), Lakegeezer (06-11-2009), masssteve (06-11-2009), Newbiesaukee (06-11-2009), Pontoon Goon (06-11-2009), Rattlesnake Gal (06-11-2009), Ropetow (06-11-2009), secondcurve (06-11-2009), SteveA (06-12-2009), Sunset Bob (06-11-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Heaven

Nicely said, I wish you the best at the Wolfeboro Inn.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Fishing

Default Wolfeboro Inn

As a seasonal Wolfeboro resident, it has always been a stop for us. We went on Friday of Memorial Day weekend for dinner. Although I received the wrong meal, I ate it and was quite happy.
I was getting quite concerned with the posts when I was hoping only good things for the Tavern. We have always enjoyed our meals - and really like the salad bar.
So, on that note Karen, thank you for addressing the problems and please know that I am wishing you only success. We'll be back in 2 weeks and will definitely come by.
Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Message from Wolfeboro Inn GM

I agree totally with Heaven - nicely said info from Ms Beranger. And to you, Ms Beranger, nice to see you on the page, and nice to see that customer input plays a part in your management plan. I truly think the public will be understanding of the magnitude of opening an establishment such as the Inn, and will be forgiving of start-up problems, and will be looking forward to the return of the Inn to the premier status it once held. Thank you, Ms Beranger.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default Ok, but

Karen...while I applaud your decision to come here and write what you did, I would say this: You offer plausible and reasonable explanations about why some of the terrible experiences we have read about took place.
"...expected and unexpected bumps to sort through". Yes, of course any new business is going to experience a learning curve, and many growing pains.
However, upon reading all the negative reviews, and seeing a very common thread in all of them, my bet would be that Wolfboro Inn was not quite ready to open, yet as summer was here, and there were dollars to be had, you made the decsion to go ahead and open anyway. Sort of like a date was set, and no matter what state of readiness you were in, you opened the doors.
While I hope that was not the case, it is what I think happened. It seems as though the employees were no where near trained and ready. Far from it.
In your post, I believe you should have taken some responsibility for the people who spent money there, and received very poor value for it.
Shouldn't you be held accountable for such terrible service? Never mind a computer system with a bad hard drive. You and your people should have tested your equipment, and been comfortable with it's performance before opening. Perhaps a soft, or mock, opening would have been in order. Friends and family only. Whatever.
Clearly, you were not ready to open, but did anyway.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
acanthus (07-22-2009), BroadHopper (06-15-2009), hazelnut (06-11-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Pontoon Goon

Default Big Picture

A lot of money invested, need cash flow,never really sure until you do it anyway, lets do it. Can't blame them for rolling the dice. I think we need to take a little step back and relax. They need to adjust and we need to .... let them adjust. It is too important for them not to. And such a nice option when boating to Wolfboro that we should support them until we can't.....fill in own caption here. Sometimes in business life sucks. You try and try with the best of intentions and it still sucks. Let's try patience. I bet it pays off.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
hazelnut

I have to agree with sameredith. While I appreciate the comments of Karen I look to the overwhelming negativity of the posts from disgruntled patrons and form a solid opinion that this place was nowhere near ready to open. I wish you luck. Second chances are wonderful but they are just that... second chances... I really hope for the Inn's position that this second chance works out.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
kechefs

Did you really think opening right before Memorial Day weekend was a good idea?
kechefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Flylady

Default Will continue to watch posts....

I don't have the luxury to spend the entire summer at the lake. Before my next trip in July I will continue to read the reviews. Thanks to Karen's acknowledgment I am still open to giving the Inn a try under this management as the reviews improve!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Nadia

Wink Can't pick a side

After reading this thread and it's responses I can't pick a side...I suppose I am on the fence! I applaud Karen for posting here on the forum and addressing concerns in a professional manner, yet I also agree with SAMeredith and others who elaborate on his initial point. I am totally stuck on the fence here. I was really hoping that someone would address the posts being made here. I would also like to say to Karen that she is certainly making a good move in becoming a member of this forum and taking the posts about her establishment seriously with the exception of the few....well...what do you call them? They are far and few between. I made many improvements to my business using the remarks made on this forum. Along with that I made new friends, gained new customers, and the best part was being given a second chance from some once disgruntled customers. My advice to Karen from a former restaraunteur is to visit this forum as often as possible, interact with posters, appreciate their comments, and use it as a valuauble and free tool to improve your business! Good luck! Welcome to the winni forum
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadia For This Useful Post:
JDeere (06-22-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
michael c

Default "good move " !!!!!

i must add: If you brought in a Chef from the Exeter Inn then you made the right move! I have eaten there but not stayed as i lived just down the road. The food ,service and Ambiance there were impeccable! If your new executive chef brings half the class that the Exeter inn has shown me over the years then you are already a winner, just one who got off on the wrong foot..
I will be there! I'll give you a couple of weeks to settle in and then I will visit ..
You have done the right thing for sure!!

M
Rattlesnake Gal (06-14-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #12
Eagle54

Default I agree with 'relax'

I agree with most of the posts; it was nice for the GM to respond and acknowledge the problems and commit to fix them; and I agree with the posts that comment that perhaps it was premature to open. But I do think some of the posts need to relax and give it a chance to see if the Inn follows through on the commitment to fix the problems. Several of the subsequent posts seem to be looking for punishment for causing bad initial experiences, and express disappointment that the problems aren't being addressed - it sounds like they are being addressed - a new chef being brought in, training for staff, POS system fixed, etc. I'm not sure how realistically the Inn could be held more accountable - they apparently feel accountable and are making changes and public apologies. I'm sure the Inn is already being punished with fewer patrons because of the bad experiences people have had. We twice cancelled plans to go to the Inn after hearing about bad experiences, and most other friends have also stayed away. If they make promises to fix the issues and don't, then too bad for them - but if they are promising to fix them, hopefully everyone will give them a chance.
Eagle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle54 For This Useful Post:
Mee-n-Mac (06-12-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle54 View Post
I agree with most of the posts; it was nice for the GM to respond and acknowledge the problems and commit to fix them; and I agree with the posts that comment that perhaps it was premature to open. But I do think some of the posts need to relax and give it a chance to see if the Inn follows through on the commitment to fix the problems. Several of the subsequent posts seem to be looking for punishment for causing bad initial experiences, and express disappointment that the problems aren't being addressed - it sounds like they are being addressed - a new chef being brought in, training for staff, POS system fixed, etc. I'm not sure how realistically the Inn could be held more accountable - they apparently feel accountable and are making changes and public apologies. I'm sure the Inn is already being punished with fewer patrons because of the bad experiences people have had. We twice cancelled plans to go to the Inn after hearing about bad experiences, and most other friends have also stayed away. If they make promises to fix the issues and don't, then too bad for them - but if they are promising to fix them, hopefully everyone will give them a chance.
I agree with most everything that you mention and I do wish them all the luck getting people back, but however, all the problems should have been resolved before they even opened the doors to the public.
The best of luck in the future.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
chipj29

Maybe they felt they were ready to open.
Maybe they WERE ready to open, but had a couple issues that changed that premise.

But does it matter? It is water under the proverbial bridge. They had difficulties which were acknowledged by the GM. She is working hard to fix the problems, and came here to let some of her disgruntled guests know that.

Sometimes all the foresight in the world does not prevent things from happening. It's called life. Stuff happens.

If I was one of the guests who had one of those bad experiences, I don't know if I would try them again, but I probably would at some point. The GM knows she lost some future business, but has taken steps to prevent reoccurrence, and has also come on here to try to make amends with some of her past guests.

Use the Lobster Pound as an example. They took a beating on this forum when they first opened. They ended up turning things around for the most part. Give the Wolfeboro Inn a break.

PS...it should be mentioned that I am in no way affiliated with the Wolfeboro Inn, or any employees, management or owners. I am just a former restaurant guy sticking up for another restaurant person.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
NHDOLFAN

Last night, my family and I went to the tavern for a bite to eat. I have to say that I was reluctant after reading all of the negative posts. But as a community member, I wanted to experience it for myself. Our waitress was awesome. She met us shortly after sitting down and took our drink order. Our drinks were on the table in 5 minutes. The service was great. The food was excellent. The only negative was the amount of time it took to get our food. We sat down around 7pm and received our food around 8:15pm. We were not in a hurry so the wait did not bother us.
NHDOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #16
riverat

Yes I agree we should give them time to work out these problems and it seems they may be working on that, but with "The Restaurant" across the street and the "Wolfeboro Diner" both with great Dinner Menus and liquor liscenses they must not take too much time.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Nadia

Smile

I have to agree strongly with Chip, there is no way you can possibly be 100% ready for what's coming through that door. It can be nothing short of disasterous even after hours, days and weeks of careful, meticulous planning. Not to mention something as stupid as a glitch in the POS or a chef who forgot to eat their Wheaties can screw things up for the entire night. It's a brutal business, and sometimes very unforgiving. Looks like management is on their toes and has identified where they need improvement, that's the key. Also looks like things may be turning around already as NHDOLFAN described a fairly positive experience. Good luck again!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Best Wishes to Wolfeboro Inn

I wish Wolfeboro Inn the best of luck and look forward to trying out the Tavern very soon.
(Maybe after Bike Week though.)

The daily tours with Winnipesaukee Belle sounds just perfect!

The locals and visitors alike will enjoy this new option for fun.
I will add this to my fun things to do this summer.

Please be patient while Wolfeboro Inn is working things out. We all like to see a local business succeed, especially one that has been around for so long and has such rich history!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Bluebell (06-14-2009), Lakepilot (06-15-2009)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #19
kberanger

Default Thanks for the support

Thank all of you who have reached out and shown support and explained the art of patience...All of us here at The Wolfeboro Inn are making serious efforts to regain the trust of past patrons by stepping up the service, upgrading the food quality, and owning up to our mistakes. I have personally spoken to several customers who had a disappointing experience and have since given us another try and were glad they did. Looking forward to a very successful summer season (once the sun returns!) And remember, there is alot more to The Wolfeboro Inn than just the Tavern - we've gotten countless compliments on our curbside appeal - just what people expect to see as they drive through historic Wolfeboro....Enjoy the day! Karen
kberanger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kberanger For This Useful Post:
robmac (06-22-2009)
Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #20
jack1706

Thumbs up sunday brunch

well, went back to the Inn for the Sunday Brunch... all in all...not too bad.of course we sat at the bar and served ourselves at the brunch.. food was ok, not bad.. price was ok too..
but they have these heavy oversized cast iron lids on all the items that are impossible to lift, fill plate and use.. spoons were no where insite as they had all fallen on the floor.. can't hold a plate , lid and manuever all.
that is my only suggestion Karen...
Otherwise the Inn seems to be trying real hard to improve.. bartender Linda was a delight and we'll go back.

Goodluck... please give them another try.we did and we're glad we did.
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
Greenbean

We stayed there in one of the rooms and the GM had the drug sniffing dogs come walk down the hallway right in front of our sons room and they claimed the dog smelled drugs which supposedly gave the GM the right to go ahead and open the door.

However, the drug sniffing dog was wrong, the cops were wrong and the GM was wrong. The courts found the Wolfeboro Inn to be guilt of invasion of privacy and dismissed the case with my son being not guilty.

I wouldn't stay there, eat there or stoop so low as to have my worst enemy stay there. It cost us $4,000 to work thru the Wolfeboro Inn mistakes.

If the GM was so fabulous she would have recognized she wasn't ready to open properly. I've heard of peoiple arriving at 6:15 and waiting until 8:15 for their food albeit that was the first weekend. I also don't understand why they had to bring a chef from Exeter, a GM from Alton and a food service and beverage manager from who knows where. Apparently the Inn didn't notice we have local talent which needs to work.

They better keep trying if they want to win the locals back because it's the locals who make the references to tourists day in and day out and support the business in the winter when the tourists disappear. Underestimating the local word of mouth references is the worst mistake the Inn can make.

My money is on Geordy Hutchinson's new place called The Resturant. I've eaten there several times and the food, service and price were all excellant. Look for a sign with a giant black fork and spoon on it.
Greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenbean For This Useful Post:
GFP (07-02-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Agree with greenbean

The local economy is hurting. The local talent is experienced and should be hired rather than bringing them in from outside.

I would take my business to someone who hires local.
acanthus (07-22-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The local economy is hurting. The local talent is experienced and should be hired rather than bringing them in from outside.

I would take my business to someone who hires local.
I completely disagree. The Inn had some pretty serious problems, some of which may have been caused by fault of the managers they had. So, after hearing some pretty negative feedback (which can be seen right on this forum), they addressed the problem by bringing in their presumably more experienced personnel.
Ropetow (06-27-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
Mee-n-Mac

Question Huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
We stayed there in one of the rooms and the GM had the drug sniffing dogs come walk down the hallway right in front of our sons room and they claimed the dog smelled drugs which supposedly gave the GM the right to go ahead and open the door.

However, the drug sniffing dog was wrong, the cops were wrong and the GM was wrong. The courts found the Wolfeboro Inn to be guilt of invasion of privacy and dismissed the case with my son being not guilty.

I wouldn't stay there, eat there or stoop so low as to have my worst enemy stay there. It cost us $4,000 to work thru the Wolfeboro Inn mistakes.
Huh ? When did this happen ? How was it that the Wolfeboro PD was there with dogs in the 1'st place ? I have to guess that given the Inn just recently re-opened under new mangement, given the "speed" of the courts and given you already have resolved the above ... that it took place under the old manangement. Am I missing something here ?

Quote:
If the GM was so fabulous she would have recognized she wasn't ready to open properly. I've heard of peoiple arriving at 6:15 and waiting until 8:15 for their food albeit that was the first weekend. I also don't understand why they had to bring a chef from Exeter, a GM from Alton and a food service and beverage manager from who knows where. Apparently the Inn didn't notice we have local talent which needs to work.

They better keep trying if they want to win the locals back because it's the locals who make the references to tourists day in and day out and support the business in the winter when the tourists disappear. Underestimating the local word of mouth references is the worst mistake the Inn can make.

My money is on Geordy Hutchinson's new place called The Resturant. I've eaten there several times and the food, service and price were all excellant. Look for a sign with a giant black fork and spoon on it.
My understanding is that after recognizing the bad state they were in, management drew from it's known good resources to stem a disaster in the making. Now if the means some local talent went unrecognized ... so be it. What would have them do, take what might be their last chance on some unknown (to them) personnel ? For all we know the person from Exeter might want to go back "home" after things are settled and working and your local talent will get it's chance. And since when is Alton not "local" ?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-26-2009), chipj29 (06-26-2009), ILoveWinnipesaukee (06-26-2009), Jonas Pilot (06-25-2009), Ropetow (06-27-2009), rrr (06-26-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #25
ApS

Question The Post-Adjudication Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...Huh ? When did this happen ? How was it that the Wolfeboro PD was there with dogs in the 1'st place ? I have to guess that given the Inn just recently re-opened under new management, given the "speed" of the courts and given you already have resolved the above ... that it took place under the old management. Am I missing something here...?"
Maybe...maybe not.

On-line, I read a somewhat different Wolfeboro account from nearly 2 years ago.

It was a relatively long-term rental by a family. Complaints of "smoke" were made, WPD arrived and found a too-large package of "weeds". The Mom was taken in for resisting arrest.

Even in New Hampshire (or especially in New Hampshire) I suspect every motel and hotel has their fabled stories; however, I wouldn't pile any story on the Wolfeboro Inn's new General Manager.

->...And then "shill" for a competitor...
ILoveWinnipesaukee (06-27-2009), Ropetow (06-27-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
BroadHopper

Thumbs down Tonight.

My buddy and I decided to start the summer at the Wolfeboro Inn. There was a wait for tables, but we were able to sit at the bar. We were greeted promptly and served beer right away. The food was another matter.

We ordered mussels right away and order two light sandwich. I would expect my appetizer right away (mussels). 15 minutes after the order, I ask the bartender about the appetizer and he said any minute now. 15 minutes later, I ask again and he said he will go check. Came back and assure us it will be any second. A full 45 minutes after ordering, our sandwiches arrived with the mussels. I mention to the bartender this is unexceptable and he says something about this is race week and the kitchen is very busy. I sent the mussels back because it was cold. Then we had to send the sandwiches back because they were cold. We got hot mussels and sandwiches back within five minutes. What is going on?

It's been about a month since they re open. It is too slow. Should I try again next year????
Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #27
Greenbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Maybe...maybe not.

On-line, I read a somewhat different Wolfeboro account from nearly 2 years ago.

It was a relatively long-term rental by a family. Complaints of "smoke" were made, WPD arrived and found a too-large package of "weeds". The Mom was taken in for resisting arrest.

Even in New Hampshire (or especially in New Hampshire) I suspect every motel and hotel has their fabled stories; however, I wouldn't pile any story on the Wolfeboro Inn's new General Manager.

->...And then "shill" for a competitor...
APS - YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG AGAIN.

The incident of 1 1/2 years ago did not happen during a long term rental.

The incident had nothing to do with our family but that of a child of another local resturant owner (CP) in town and was less then 1/2 of a bowl full so the police gave that child an escort home and then came back to hunt down my child. The mother was not arrested for resisting arrest this night or for this incident so you are wrong again. Furthermore, the ownership of the Inn was already new at the time - maybe not the current GM but definately the same mgt. team.

Furthermore I'm not a shill for a competitor but rather a grateful customer who has received several nice meals with great service. Shouldn't I mention the good things or just complain like you?

I personally have worked at LOTS of different resturants - both small and very large - both as a waitress and mgt. and I know what it takes to make it happen and make your customers happy. They aren't doing it.

There obviously is a problem at the Inn which we all had hoped would be resolved with this new GM but it just doesn't seem to be happening. There is plenty of local talent and I do consider Alton as local but not Exeter. And what happens if the person from Exeter goes home - does it all fall apart again?

Perhaps they should have taken part of the $4.5 million and had a week long training session for their staff. It would have been better money spent. You can make things look as pretty as you want but without happy customers it's not going to fly. Word of mouth is your best or worst advertisement as you can see the results right here.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
camp guy

Default Much improved Wolfeboro Inn

Four of us had lunch at the Wolfeboro Inn today, two off the lunch menu, and two from the brunch buffet.

I must say, I have been a severe critic of the Inn, by e-mail directly with Ms Beranger, but today was a totally improved situation. By good fortune, we had a waitress we have had before, and she continued to be excellent. The timing of the food from the kitchen was excellent, the food was hot, tastey, and well plated and served. The food from the buffet was considerably more attractive than the last time we tried it, and the servers were much more pleasant.

Overall, I must say that Ms Beranger and the rest of the staff have made significant improvements. Thank you.

I did notice the price was little more in line with the meal being served, and the hostess greeted and moved guests through the process very efficiently.

Let's hope this is a trend which will continue.

All in all, very good - Thank you!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
EZ-Pass (06-28-2009), secondcurve (06-28-2009)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Were you there today when the ambulance came, Camp Guy?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
Pineedles

Default Good meal?

This thread has a high number of views. Given the Inn's generosity in donating a night's stay to the Forum fest raffle, my need for a night off from the vacation kitchen (I am going to win this prize in the raffle so be warned, so don't waste your tickets), and the plus and minus reviews that we have been seeing, I recommend that if you are the adventurous type, that you make your own decision as to whether you are a risk taker. The Winnipesaukee Forum is a great place to find out what's good and what's bad as far a places to eat. The Wolfeboro Inn is currently under the microscope of the Winn Forum. Seems like the right time to see if it lives up to your expectations? I plan on dumping alot of raffle tickets into this cup at the forum.

Disclaimer:
I am not financially affiliated with the Inn, restaraunt, this forum's ownership or management, nor any entity that could potentially profit from any business or person connected with this forum or the Inn.

But if you want to send me something, Box 25 will get it there.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #31
sa meredith

Default no weed????

Wait a minute...The Inn does not want their guests smoking weed in their rooms? Well that just is not going to work out at all!
What were they thinking?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-29-2009), hazelnut (06-29-2009)
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Greenbean

Default No privacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a fidiciary responsibility to provide privacy.

You give the Inn money in exchange for a private room - no different then any private room in your private home.

Furthermore, no one was smoking weed INSIDE the INN.

Obviously the Judge agreed with us.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #33
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default so you are saying what goes on in the hotel room is private?

Quote:
They have a fidiciary responsibility to provide privacy.

You give the Inn money in exchange for a private room - no different then any private room in your private home.

Furthermore, no one was smoking weed INSIDE the INN.

Obviously the Judge agreed with us.
With an idea like this, does that mean when someone takes someone into a hotel room by force, the privacy should be first and foremost, not the safety of the person being held? Plus, if they found weed in the room, then I am sure there was smoking going on either on the Inn property or in the room. As with any illegal act, if the safety of the guests either the one doing the act or the rest of the guests is in question, the Inn and the police have ALL THE RIGHT IN THE WORLD to go in and stop the illegal acts.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #34
Seeker

Default News at noon

Yesterday I happened to catch a little of the channel 9 news. They had on Chef Stephan Harding of the Wolfeboro Inn who made a 8 oz bacon wrapped salmon fillet with mango salsa. I don't like salmon but it did look good.
He also referenced the big moose challenge. This is a 5# burger with fries that you get free if you finish it. (Are you listening FLL?) Don't know if they had this previously or not as I' haven't been there yet.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #35
tis

Well, it's been a while now and they should have had time to get their act in order. However, I talked to someone who went to a wedding there Sat. and they said the food was not very good and served cold and the service was terrible. Apparently the father of the bride was not very happy and had finally had enough and spoke to them.
It is too bad, the Inn used to be such a great place to go grab a bite to eat. We haven't been because of all the stories we have heard, thinking we would give them time and it will get better. Now I am beginning to wonder.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
Local yocal

Smile We love the meal!

We ate at the Inn a year ago and had an incredibly innovative, delicious meal. The chef chatted with us at our table. I can't wait to go back! Keep up the good work!
Local yocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #37
Lakepilot

You ate there a year ago??
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
wifi

Wonder if there is an (in)credibility test one can take before your first 10 posts?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-23-2010), Ropetow (07-06-2009), SIKSUKR (07-07-2009)
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #39
trfour

Default good idea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Wonder if there is an (in)credibility test one can take before your first 10 posts?
I doubt it though. Just have to weed and wack out here.
T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (07-06-2009)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #40
Peter

Default Thanks!

Thanks to the Wolfeboro Inn for offering free hot dogs and lemonade during the 4th of July parade in Wolfeboro! A very nice thing to do.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #41
secondcurve

Peter:

I thought that was a nice touch, too. Did anyone dine there during the holiday weekend? I'd like to hear if the service/food have rebounded. Maybe their business has declined to such an extent they have resorted to giving free food away on the front lawn?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #42
LougNH

Default Disapointed

I have been to the Wolfboro Inn at least five times since it re-opening in June. The food has been generally good, but the service has been mediocre at best. On my last visit this past Sunday evening about 50% of the tables were empty but we were told that there was a 25 minute wait. We waited at the bar for about 25 minutes and were called. We were seated and no one showed up for at least another 10 minutes to greet us or take are drink order. The staff seemed to be working hard, but there seemed to be a lack of leadership in directing there efforts. The food again was good but the service sub-par.
LougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #43
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn Service

Clearly, [I]service[I] is the most frequest complaint in this site relevant to the Wolfeboro Inn. And, clearly, Ms Beranger reads this site. Now, all she has to do is connect the dots between service and supervision and most of her problems will go away. This is Hotel Management 101, not rocket science.

The Inn is part of a larger management enterprise and maybe the local management staff could benefit from mentorship training from some of the people in the other properties.

Some of the complaints are too elementary to let go unchecked, particularly the waiting times and service times. Again, back to Hotel Management 101 - it is standard in the industry to get people to their seats on a timely manner, then get them drinks, or something, to keep them occupied until you can get their order.

I think Ms Beranger holds the answers to her problems in her own hands, she just needs to saturate the public with service and hope for the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-07-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #44
The Big Kahuna

Default Addressing the angry mob!

Karen, thank you for taking the time to address the posts and letting us know your plan to have things straightened out so we all can enjoy the Inn once again. I was one of the first customers the day you opened, I will not go into the details of the problems we had, but I will give the Inn another try. I don't think restaurants follow the first impression rule, I have been to many places and the first time I went it was not memorable. When Patrick's first opened under different ownership than it is now, I gave that place a couple tries and decided that it was not worth going back, when I heard it was under new ownership and should give it a try again, I did and have not stopped going back again and again since. The Angry Mob on this web-site may never be satisfied with your improvements, there are many others who do not chase Frankensien and will give your Inn another try.

Best of luck and look forward to trying your restaruant out again next time I am in Wolfboro.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #45
mg2107

Ate in the Tavern for lunch Monday. Service metz a metz. Portions small .
Prices a little steep for pub fare. This winter will tell the tale for the food venues at the inn. I think the kitchen and wait staff needs to pay more attention to detail which hopefully will come as time passes.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
trfour

Default Clearly They Are Trying....

They have spent a ton of money, and in this aconomy to boot. Let us give them the benafit of the doubt here folks. hang in and give them some room to work out the kinks!

I found this news on the net today;
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...998/-1/CITIZEN

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #47
tis

we went out to dinner last night and considered the Inn, but decided against it given all that we have heard. We will still wait a while. We went to Garwoods instead. We had a wonderful seat looking at the Bay. We had haddock, scallops and the tuna between us all and we were all very happy. Service and food was great!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #48
Just Wonderin

Default Will give it a try

I've long been a fan of the Wolfeboro Inn. A friend will be visiting tomorrow and I thought we'd give the Inn a try for lunch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things have begun to turn around since it's soft opening on Memorial Day Weekend. I'll post my thoughts....

I have a 4 day event booked there this Fall and am hoping that all of the bugs will be worked out by then...this is not the first time that I have held this closed event and hope it will not be my last.
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #49
lakes rest guy

Default still waiting

What happened? I thought the service was going to get better when the new guy arrived? It has been several months since he arrived, the food is good. It comes down to service, which is still not there. Also, will the menu prices come down so the locals will have someplace to go? To survive the winter months, you need to cater to the people who live in the area year round. There are other choices in the Wolfeboro that have friendly service and offer better value.
lakes rest guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #50
beagle

Default good food, good service

Just wanted to let people know again, we ate there 2 weeks ago on Sunday night and had good food and good service. I posted in the other wb inn thread and fear it was not read as all assumed a bad review due to the title of the thread. We were seated right away, got our order in, and drinks and food came very quickly. My husband had a seafood pasta, and I had baked haddock, both hot and tasty. The menu has tons of choices, hard to choose. Has anyone else tried it recently? I would hate to see them go under, they are a historic part of WB, and based on our experience I would recommend people give it another chance!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beagle For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-03-2009), XCR-700 (09-04-2009)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #51
BroadHopper

Arrow Simple Menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
The menu has tons of choices, hard to choose.
It is difficult to keep all food fresh when the menu is extensive. Ramsey of 'Hell's Kitchen' have mentioned it a few times on his show. I personally like a limited menu that changes with the season. Using local produce when they become available.
Winnigirl (09-03-2009), XCR-700 (09-04-2009)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #52
Bluebell

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Just wanted to let people know again, we ate there 2 weeks ago on Sunday night and had good food and good service. I posted in the other wb inn thread and fear it was not read as all assumed a bad review due to the title of the thread. We were seated right away, got our order in, and drinks and food came very quickly. My husband had a seafood pasta, and I had baked haddock, both hot and tasty. The menu has tons of choices, hard to choose. Has anyone else tried it recently? I would hate to see them go under, they are a historic part of WB, and based on our experience I would recommend people give it another chance!
We've dined there twice this past month - both times the service and food were very good. We having company this weekend and plan on taking them there for dinner. It's one of their favorite restaurants in Wolfeboro. I think the Inn is back ! ! !
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #53
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default good days, bad days

Not my personal experience, but that of a very good friend.

He, his wife and another couple went out on the motorcycles about a month ago, and on their way home, stopped in Wolfeboro at the Inn to see how it was after the remodel and all. He said the food was mediocre, and the service was worse. He said he would have to hear some much better things before he would go back (BTW, he is not one that is difficult to please.)

Last week he was at a fundraising function there and there was pork loin and chicken on the menu. The one person at his table that got chicken was served about 20 minutes before the rest of the table got their pork dinners. He waited for everyone else to be served before he started eating, and of course by that time his meal was cold. My friend, his wife, and one other person at the table, when served their pork, found it very difficult to cut, and on closer inspection, found it was literally raw in the center, and had to send their meals back. Once cooked properly, it was ok, not great but ok...satisfactory. Then on to dessert, which was strawberry shortcake. The shortcake seemed to be drop biscuits, which is fine, except they were so hard, it was almost impossible to break them open to eat. Once served dessert, they were asked if they would like coffee, and again that took almost 20 minutes.

All in all, it was not a good experience, and he absolutely will not go back.

I told him about the positive comments overall of late, and he just shrugged his shoulders. Not one person at the table (I think he said there were nine) had a positive overall comment about the meal and service, and all said they would not go back to have dinner.

So, there must be good days, and there must be bad days.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #54
RLW

Question

May I ask, how does one restaurant get so many mixed reviews. It goes anywhere from a 1 to a 10. Is it our own tastes buds and the way they differ and expectations as to how we are waited on? I just don't figure.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #55
SumoDog

Default Fundraiser at Inn

Interesting about previous post - I was actually at that same fundraiser - and I guess our table got lucky becuase both our pork and the shortcake were pretty good (along with the table beside us and behind us) - for function food - we were not expecting a gourmet meal at a fundraiser that I am sure the Inn cut the Organization a break for. I always take second hand comments with a grain of salt - unless you experience it yourself - I think you should hold your comments to yourself - but I guess if more people thought that way - there would be many fewer posts on this forum.
SumoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #56
ironhorsetim

Question ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakes rest guy View Post
There are other choices in the Wolfeboro that have friendly service and offer better value.
Going by your name one might think you are in the restaurant business, do you happen to work at an establishment in Wolfeboro

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #57
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Maybe day of the week, food choice, personal preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
May I ask, how does one restaurant get so many mixed reviews. It goes anywhere from a 1 to a 10. Is it our own tastes buds and the way they differ and expectations as to how we are waited on? I just don't figure.
I would have to say that reviews like this place has received is like anything else, we all have different opinions as to what good service is. We also do not all go the same day of the week and the head cook I am sure only works 5 of the 7 days, so maybe on the off day is the bad reviews, or maybe the service is better when certain wait staff work, or when different managers are on. Just my humble opinion
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
secondcurve

I've had both lunch and dinner at the bar in the past month. The first time several weeks back the service was very good. This week the service was terrible. In both instances the food was good to very good. I am amazed at how this restaurant can't get it together from a service perspective. You would think that after spending $4MM on remodeling they would be able to deliver consistently excellent service. Especially considering the fact unemployment is approaching 10%.

My advice to the GM is simple. Spend some time at Legal Seafoods, The Corner House Inn, The Woodshed or The Restaurant. Trust me, you will learn something if you pay attention.

My guess is that this corporation is financially strapped after making a "top of the market investment" and a as result they simply don't have the resources to deliver average to above average service.

I'm done with the Wolfeboro Inn for at least 6-months.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #59
RLW

School and college is back now so things may change regarding the service.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #60
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
School and college is back now so things may change regarding the service.
We can hope

Last edited by Heaven; 09-04-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #61
Bluebell

I know this restaurant has gotten many mixed reviews since the renovation, but my family and I have been there three times since the renov and we have been very pleased each time. Tonight, we had the turkey pot pie, grilled vegetable pasta primavera and the 1/2 chicken with fixings. All of the dishes were served within a reasonable time and all were hot and delicious.

Last edited by Bluebell; 09-05-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote