Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Rich

Default Marine Patrol shake's their head!

I was coming back from the Nazwa last weekend and headed toward Smith Cove, it was just about after sunset.

As I'm coming South of Lockes Island just after passing through the Witches headed East, I see that the Marine Patrol had a boat pulled over. This was in the area between Lockes and Varney Point.

I wasn't moving very fast, but had a small wake, so I stayed about 200 ft away or so from the stopped boats. I even slowed down a bit as I approached them.

As I'm coming up on the MP, which was pulled broadside to the boat he had stopped, here comes another boat headed towards us going West at a significant speed, throwing a big wake.

Yes, you guessed it, he decided to go between my boat and the two boats that were stopped.

I looked over to see what the MP officer would do. He just looked up, raised his arms and hands towards the sky in a sort of 'WTF' gesture and shook his head.

I'm not sure why the MP had the first boat stopped, but at this point I would have let the first guy go and gone after the guy on the passing boat.

At least the MP didn't notice that my port nav light was out (we noticed it was out just as we left the Naswa and were trying to get back before sunset).
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnilifer

Yep - Very easily could've sounded his siren/horn and waved him to stop. Finished with that boat then gone to him. End of shift?
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

I see this many times. That is why we need more staff and presence.

I've seen people do a dare when MP is busy with another boat. For example last week, there were 2 MP boats assisting EMT and police during an incident in front of Summit condo Association off Paugus Bay.

As I was approaching the channel from Paugus Bay, there were a number of boat passing me within 50 feet and continued at above wake speed through the channel. Totally uncalled for. What's the rush!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Default Same Standards...

What's the small island between Governors and Stonedam?

I was going between the markers of the small island and Stonedam (not the no wake zone near Governors) on Sunday and two boats came flying through within 20 feet of me throwing huge wakes. I used my horn at the first boat and they just waved. I was pissed!...

As I try to keep control the second one goes by right behind the first and the two on board were wearing uniforms (it sure looked like MP, but I'm not 100%). They waved as well....I was even more pissed!

So much for headway.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Default Who wears uniforms

I only see Fish and Game wardens and Fire Fighters wearing uniforms out on the lake. Sometimes I see other LEOs on the lake but almost always on a MP boat.

I do notice on occasions Fish & Game officers breaking the rules, and I assume they are on a mission. Very rarely do I see the firefighters breaking rules unless it is in an emergency.

Most probably the second boat was fish and Game. They usually travel in unmarked powerboats.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post

I was going between the markers of the small island and Stonedam (not the no wake zone near Governors) on Sunday and two boats came flying through within 20 feet of me throwing huge wakes. I used my horn at the first boat and they just waved. I was pissed!...

As I try to keep control the second one goes by right behind the first and the two on board were wearing uniforms (it sure looked like MP, but I'm not 100%). They waved as well....I was even more pissed!

So much for headway.
North side of Eagle Island perhaps? There's room to pass on plane, but only if you stay close to the markers.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post

So much for headway.
I believe HellRazoR is referring to Pitchwood Island and utilizing FL#44 .... I sure hope he is NOT referring to the No Wake Zone between Stonedam & Welcome Island
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Rich

This makes me wonder every time I'm at my computer and away from the boat: Is there an online chart of Lake Winnipesaukee?

If not, I'll have to bring a older chart home soon.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This makes me wonder every time I'm at my computer and away from the boat: Is there an online chart of Lake Winnipesaukee?

Bizer sells a .pdf version of their chart, I use it frequently while at home or office and away from hard copy chart...

http://bizer.com/
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
dt5150

i almost got run over while trolling the other night off welch. some a-hole in a big white cobalt bowrider buzzed right by me at about 50 feet. i watched him coming up right behind me and had to veer to the right. as he went on by, i looked over to give him a single digit gesture and saw that he wasn't even facing forward. he was seated at the helm, facing AFT (with 3 other people in the boat), going about 30 mph. he wasn't even watching where he was going! unreal...
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
tc_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Some info was provided in this thread a while back.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tc_mike For This Useful Post:
Rich (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
HellRaZoR004

As some have previously guessed I was travelling through the markers between Eagle Isl and Pitchwood and Stonedam Isl.

I can see maybe if everyone was hugging the markers it would be fine...but no one was.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
sum-r breeze

Default Same sh*t different day

Last Sunday we had 2 boats coming at us one after the other through the no wake zone between Eagle and Goverors up on at least 3/4 plane. I'm waving at them to slow down...I get the blank stare back at me like "What?" Then I yell "This is a NO WAKE zone!!" I guess we have a lot of "Low Information" boaters on the lake! We were all novices at one time but certain things need to be researched before you head out on the big lake. ie READ A CHART!!!

Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' (a chart) back!!
The Breeze
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Last Sunday we had 2 boats coming at us one after the other through the no wake zone between Eagle and Goverors up on at least 3/4 plane. I'm waving at them to slow down...I get the blank stare back at me like "What?" Then I yell "This is a NO WAKE zone!!" I guess we have a lot of "Low Information" boaters on the lake! We were all novices at one time but certain things need to be researched before you head out on the big lake. ie READ A CHART!!!

The Breeze
Hey Walter, did that boat happen to be a 35' Fountain, Yellow and orange?

We got pulled over coming through the Weirs on Saturday...someone forgot his registration sticker in the truck and the MP spotted it. They ran the registration and let us go on our way, they were very polite other than a 5 foot scuff on our starboard bow!! The water was rough, they didn't mean it. Most of the scuff rubbed off...a little elbow grease will take the rest off.
Stop by the compound this weekend!!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post

The Breeze
We had that Saturday...Heading through the channel we were met with a moron in a 28' Chris Craft on plane as he entered the NWZ. I did not give him the "salute", but made my displeasure known. He backed down and looked rather perplexed.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
jrc

The answer I always get is "I'm not making a wake"

I got a little taste of that myself Saturday when someone yelled at me in the entrance to Smith cove. I was doing just under 6 MPH according to my GPS.

I slowed down when he yelled and he told me that my slowing indicated my guilt. I don't know, maybe I was legal but not courteous...
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I yelled at someone last weekend and his reply was: "I'm going slow." I told him that didn't matter, it was the wake that matters.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I yelled at someone last weekend and his reply was: "I'm going slow." I told him that didn't matter, it was the wake that matters.
It's not though, my boat makes a very obvious wake when I'm operating legally at headway speed, which is all you are required to do in a no wake zone in NH.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
tis

We have had this discussion before and it depends on who the MP officer is if you get stopped or not. We had one officer who wouldn't even allow the tiniest ripple. Even I was shocked at who he stopped. Headway speed is not no wake, but I know you will probably argue it as it was argued before. No wake is no wake. Headway speed is headway speed. Years ago we used to have headway speed signs on the lake.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
We have had this discussion before and it depends on who the MP officer is if you get stopped or not. We had one officer who wouldn't even allow the tiniest ripple. Even I was shocked at who he stopped. Headway speed is not no wake, but I know you will probably argue it as it was argued before. No wake is no wake. Headway speed is headway speed. Years ago we used to have headway speed signs on the lake.
Hopefully the Marine Patrol will become more aware of the state's boating laws in the future.

270-D:1 Definitions.

VI. "Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

VIII. "No wake area'' means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
tis

Most boats can go slower than 6MPH and the whole idea of a no wake area is you are not supposed to make a wake. There are reasons for not allowing wakes.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
secondcurve

Quote:
Most boats can go slower than 6MPH and the whole idea of a no wake area is you are not supposed to make a wake. There are reasons for not allowing wakes.
Tis:

That was my assumption, too. However, Dave R has proven that not to be the case based upon the facts he has posted. He has the best depth of knowledge about boats and boating on this site.

Maybe the regulation should be re-written to the following:

VI. "Headway speed'' means THE SLOWER OF 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
Par Four

Default URL available?

I've seen several posts were folks have apparently cut / pasted state boating regulations from an online source. I'd like to be able to reference them myself or time to time.

Could some post that URL or point me to the site?

Tnx
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Tis:

That was my assumption, too. However, Dave R has proven that not to be the case based upon the facts he has posted. He has the best depth of knowledge about boats and boating on this site.

Maybe the regulation should be re-written to the following:

VI. "Headway speed'' means THE SLOWER OF 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.
It probably should be rewritten. I was thinking the same thing before you posted it. The way it is is open to interpretation. I do believe no wake is meant to be no wake. But just as we can't agree on here, possible the officers don't agree. Someone should ask them.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
Chaselady

I understand what Tis means. There are many people who believe that going "slower" is okay in a NWZ. I live in a NWZ, and it is amazing how many people slow down and PLOW through, throwing the biggest wake possible. When they hit the other end, they open up again. These same people never think to look behind their boat and see the wake they are making, or notice our boat being thrown against the dock.
The majority of these folks seem to be seasoned boat operators, many " older" types. And I'm not a spring chicken myself!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
tis (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
jrc

Most NH laws regarding boating are here:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-D-mrg.htm

Most NH rules regarding boating are here:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

You have to follow the rules and the laws
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Par Four (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
Woodsy

All boats make a wake of some sort... there is always a ripple of some size behind the boat caused by the water being displaced by the hull of the boat.

That being said, No wake / headway speed is meant to be the SLOWEST possible speed that you can maintain steerage (ie: control) of your boat. It does not mean going so slow (dead slow) as to have to shift in and out of gear.... in order to minimize your wake. Most boats can maintain steerage with engine at idle in gear between 3-5 MPH. Some need a little more speed to maintain steerage, some a little less.

For example...

Take the Weirs Channel in the spring.... the Dam is open letting the excess water from the lake drop. There is at least 5-6 MPH current thru there (sometimes more), especially where it narrows by the bridge. To overcome this current a boat would have to travel faster than the current... so you are looking at 8-10 MPH. Your forward speed is only 4-5 MPH. You are def throwing a wake, but in light of the current, you HAVE to in order to maintain steerage/control of your boat.

The key to the law is MAINTAIN STEERAGE!

Woodsy
ishoot308 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
jrc

All laws are trade-offs especially no wake zones. You have to trade off the rights of a boater to travel and operate his vessel safely, the rights of other boaters not to be endangered and the rights of property owners to not have their property damaged.

Maybe 6 MPH is too fast, but that's the trade off we have. With planning boats the wake goes up pretty quickly with speed until they plane. I know the difference between 6 MPH and 12 MPH on my boat is incredible.

It doesn't help with respect for NWZ, that some of them seem political rather than safety motivated.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It doesn't help with respect for NWZ, that some of them seem political rather than safety motivated.
Definitely the case in the past few years.

During Bike Week I saw all kinds of infractions. Someone left the launch ramp at Irwin Marine and plane on the wrong side of the marker in front of the bridge. He was very lucky he didn't hit the rocks. Everyone was waving and sounding their horns. He just smile and wave back. I saw the same guy planing through the no wake zone in the Weirs Channel and eventually slow down because of the traffic. I notice he did not have NH registration.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
Dave R

Our state legislature has determined that the wake created by any boat going 6 MPH or less is not a problem. If a boat has to exceed 6 MPH to maintain steerage, it is allowed. I generally run at 5 MPH in no wake zones, but I'm not required to. I can't go slower than 4 MPH and maintain steerage.

I routinely see MP boats going all of the allowed 6 MPH in no wake zones.