Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Hermit Cover

Question Roof shoveling....

With all the concern over snow loads on roofs and some collapses...it's time to get our roof cleared. Any recommendations for insured crews to shovel a roof here in Moultonborough??
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Sorry I can't give recommendations, but as long as the topic is open - perhaps we can discuss techniques. Is it OK to clear only the first few feet of the roof, or will dams still form where the snow stops? My rake can't reach the upper story roof beyond a foot or so. I can't imagine anyone getting up there to shovel anyway, because the pitch is steep.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Sorry I can't give recommendations, but as long as the topic is open - perhaps we can discuss techniques. Is it OK to clear only the first few feet of the roof, or will dams still form where the snow stops? My rake can't reach the upper story roof beyond a foot or so. I can't imagine anyone getting up there to shovel anyway, because the pitch is steep.
Shoveling the eave line up the roof 4 or 5 feet will just move the ice dam up your roof.

Ice dams form when melted snow and ice come in contact with the cold air. On newer roofs this can actually cause serious problems as most roofs are installed with Ice and Water shield starting at the eave up 6 feet (2 coarses of roll) then it goes to either 15lb felt or Tri-flex. Having the ice dam form above the ice and water shield will more than likely cause some leaking.

For my roof, I have metal and most of the snow slides off when the sun comes out and the temp gets to about 15 degrees, but I have one spot over the vent pipe and fan vent penetrations that the snow will not slide off. I stand up an extension ladder against the roof and pull down as much snow as possible. Being metal, you cannot walk on it when it has snow, you will come down in a hurry.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default We just had our done today

We used Howland Insulation. 524-2009. Not sure if they will go to Moultonboro. They charged $55.00 per hour per man.
The 3 guys that showed up this AM were terrific. They had all the ladders and tools and cleared the roof is less that an hour, so the charge was $125.

I normally just remove the lower 3-4 feet with a roof rake, but this year it got ahead of me and we developed some ice dams.

Best info I found online was here:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infdam.html

I'm even going to try the "pantie hose" trick ... don't ask.. just read the website..
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
hilltopper

I've got a couple sections of roof where the ONLY thing I can do to prevent ice dams is to remove ALL the snow from that section of the roof. Good times...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
eric richard

Default roof shoveling

hi hermit cover,
My name is Eric from Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC. I am a fully insured business and we do roof shoveling. We service the lake region and yes we will travel to moultonboro. My number is (603) 509-3880 feel free to call and i can give to a quote over the phone.We also have a website with pic and other services at www.ericnphilshomeimprovement.com

thank you
Eric Richard
owner
Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC.
(603) 509-3880
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Ad from Maine Mutual Insurance

Just heard an ad from MMI on the radio talking about preventing ice dams. They recommended keeping a minimum of 4 feet of the roof clear of snow to help prevent ice dams. Also that when shovelling, only shovel with the shingles, not against them. Don't try to break up ice dams with hammers or hatchets etc.

Obviously, the more snow you take off the roof, the less chance you have of having an ice dam. My roof guy was out yesterday because of an ice dam on a flattish roof that had water backing up to my furnace stack. He cleared the ice dam with calcium chloride, which he said would not harm my shingles.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
DickR

Default Article on ice dams

In the January 2011 issue of The Journal of Light Construction there is an excellent article on this subject. It covers both safe ways of removing ice dams to get rid of the immediate problem and later what to do to address the causes of them. The author is a contractor who runs a profitable side business in Minnesota doing just that.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
With all the concern over snow loads on roofs and some collapses...it's time to get our roof cleared. Any recommendations for insured crews to shovel a roof here in Moultonborough??
Hi Hermit Cover,

One of the winter services we provide is roof snow removal. Feel free to contact us here on winnipesaukee.com or send us a message using the contact form on our page:

Winnipesaukee Island Services

Thank you,
Mike

603-707-4677
www.WinnipesaukeeIslands.com
WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
RickDonofrio

We also provide snow removal on roofs in the moultonboro area ,and plowing too.So give us a call 1-603-236-9631 good rates.
RickDonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
boo

would be happy to shovel your roof if your still looking. we charge $30 per hour / per person. we have 2 men on each roof and each roof usually takes no more than 2 hours.
we are insured as well.
feel free to contact me at (603) 393-5229 or email bluemoonbuilders@msn.com

we have been doing alot of roofs lately and can tell you the average cost is $100, and i am a roofer so we will remove the snow without any damage to the shingles.

Thanks.
Corey Boucher
Blue Moon Builders llc
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
loggerdan1

Default North face tree service

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit cover View Post
with all the concern over snow loads on roofs and some collapses...it's time to get our roof cleared. Any recommendations for insured crews to shovel a roof here in moultonborough??
been shoveling roofs for years be glad to give you an estimate. Live right down the street. Remember keep it local ! We pay taxes here so the money stays here !

Thanks,

dan
moultonborough

loggerdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
RickDonofrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggerdan1 View Post
been shoveling roofs for years be glad to give you an estimate. Live right down the street. Remember keep it local ! We pay taxes here so the money stays here !

Thanks,

dan
moultonborough
Hey Dan, howdy Nay-ba Couldn't agree more, "Keep it Local"

Rick
RickDonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote