Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Oletimer

Unhappy Island Princess Cam

Looks like there is a fractured dock in this picture today! Seems it broke into two pieces. Anyone else have different idea. Owner apparently does not know about it.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #2
wifi

The Moultonboro bay cam is sitting behind a cracked window. Will try re-aiming it, thanks for reminding me.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
IslandRadio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletimer View Post
Looks like there is a fractured dock in this picture today! Seems it broke into two pieces. Anyone else have different idea. Owner apparently does not know about it.
Yeah, it's my dock It broke for no apparent reason other than the wood is very old, and I think it finally gave up the ghost !!

I have the exact time when it broke, since the camera uploads a picture every minute and I keep about a months worth at a time on the server. It just broke, and there are actually four cables that hold the dock up - all going back to one cable, so the load is distributed.

Now, this leads to a follow-on question: I am going to obviously have to repair the dock in the spring, and I am seriously thinking of going with aluminum - home built if possible to save dollars.

Looking at aluminum trusses that can be obtained in various lengths. 4 16 footers would do it - two on each side for a length of 32 feet, which is what I have now.

With some cross bracing, that would make a very strong frame that would not rot (and will most likely be lighter) !

Anyway, looking at various alternatives.

Any advise would be appreciated.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Misty Blue

Default Lighten up a little!

Radio Man:

If you haven't already given it some thought and since this will be a home built try removable decking.

We pull an aluminum dock every year and wish that the weight of the decking could be removed before we drag it on to the shore.

Just a thought and good luck!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
IslandRadio

Oh yes - that's a necessity. I have to remove the decking before pulling the dock up. Otherwise, it would have been too heavy.

The dock frame is VERY old, and the wood was getting pretty soft. I'm not completely surprised it failed, but hoped to get one more season
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links