Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
chipj29

Default Wow!

I had the pleasure of having my first lobster roll of the season today at Peppers. I had a friend from out of town with me who had never had a lobster roll. She was in heaven, as was I. Plenty of lobster meat, and just the right amount of mayo. Job well done!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
hazelnut

Thumbs up Two I mean FOUR thumbs up

Great Dinner tonight at Peppers. My wife had been hearing about these legendary Lobster Rolls. I mentioned today "hon, we should take the boat over to Weirs and go to Waldo Peppers for Lunch." Her eyes lit up and she said "I've been dying to try those Lobster Rolls!" So we packed up the Twins and the baby and headed to the Weirs. After the mandatory Bumper Car Rides with the twins we trekked over the bridge and ordered our dinner. Fish and Chips for me, Nuggets for one boy Hot Dog for the other, and the World Famous Double Stuffed Lobster Roll (Traditional Style) for the wife. Pepper herself chatted us up at the table while my wife was in heaven eating her dinner. When Pepper walked away I said "well what's the verdict?" The wife said "Awesome." I inquired "Best ever?" She replied "YUP." So the rumors are in fact true. Anyway thanks to Pepper for taking care of the boys.... They bounced off the walls of the boat the whole way home on a sugar rush

Forum members who have not tried Peppers have no idea what they are missing. Head in and introduce yourself to the Curly haired Red-Head with the infectious smile. You'll be glad you made the trip.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

I Miss Pepper On The Forum!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default We're going to do it !!!!

I love a good lobster roll and you folks have convinced me to try Waldo Peppers. I looked through the archives in 2006 and found a photo of the place with the small plane on the roof. Gosh darn it ..... we've passed this place hundreds of times without stopping in! We sure will this weekend.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Waldo's

I only wish Waldo's could work something out with the owners of the Handy Landing dock to allow Waldo customers to park there then cross the street. That sign at the Handy Landing docks specifically say's that the dock is provived for shoping on THIS SIDE of the street only. Can't you work something out Pepper?? Think of all the added business you would do!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
I only wish Waldo's could work something out with the owners of the Handy Landing dock to allow Waldo customers to park there then cross the street. That sign at the Handy Landing docks specifically say's that the dock is provived for shoping on THIS SIDE of the street only. Can't you work something out Pepper?? Think of all the added business you would do!!
The fine folks who own the Handy-Dandy-Landing could quite possibly agree to something, there very nice people. And it would sure beat walking across dysfunction junction.

Now. WHERES OUR PEPPER???

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
RLW

Thumbs up Yummy lobster roll and Haddock Hoagie

The bride and I stopped in for our usual fix right after the lunch hour rush and had our delicious usuals. Ya just can't beat the flavor of all dishes and the hospitality one receives for the people that wait on ya.
GO WALDO"S
Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default We're Going To Do It !!! (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook
I love a good lobster roll and you folks have convinced me to try Waldo Peppers. I looked through the archives in 2006 and found a photo of the place with the small plane on the roof. Gosh darn it ..... we've passed this place hundreds of times without stopping in! We sure will this weekend.
Does anyone know the hours of operation at Waldo Pepper's especially on the weekends? Also, does anyone have a copy of the menu as 1-2 in our party are really not seafood lovers. I tried www.waldopeppers.com as I found in a Google search but the link was dead. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
jetskier

Quote:
Does anyone know the hours of operation at Waldo Pepper's especially on the weekends? Also, does anyone have a copy of the menu as 1-2 in our party are really not seafood lovers. I tried www.waldopeppers.com as I found in a Google search but the link was dead. Thanks!
When I have a chance, I will get a menu and scan it. They have a wide offering including pizza, burgers, subs etc... It is not really a seafood place per se. They just have great lobster rolls.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default Two birds with one stone...

So, I normally head to the marina for some Friday boating at 8 AM or so, but yesterday I was a little late, so I figured, rather than take Meredith Center Road to Paugus Bay Marina, I'd take the long way and head up toward the Weirs. This would afford me the opportunity to experience to things that have been the topic of much discussion on this posting board....
1. The now famous "Roundabout"
2. The Lobster Roll at Waldo Peppers.
The rotary (which is what we always called them in MA...and there are plenty of them) was just no big deal. I just don't get it. What's the big deal. People actually need instructions to navigate this thing??!! Maybe I am just used to it. Anyway...
It was 11:30, so a touch early for lunch, but I've been wanting to check out these Lobster Rolls. After consulting with the very pleasant woman who took my order, I decided on a traditional "cold" lobster roll, and regular size (as opposed to the double stuffed). I took it to go. My first impression when I opened the container was "gee, I thought I ordered the regular size." The thing was HUGE. And it indeed was the small one. For the 11 or 12 dollars it cost, it was worth every penny. Very, very good, indeed ! It was, without question, the best I have had. Excellent. This will become a new regular stop of mine. By the way, for anyone that might be interested, I believe the best "Lobster Pie" on the lake is also on Paugus Bay, at the new TBones. They call it "Lazy Man Lobster", but it is indeed loster pie. I have had this dish at many, many places over the years, and their's is crazy good...a touch expensive at 21.95, but worth it to me.
Anyway, the hype about Waldo Peppers is true. Friendly people, Great Lobster Roll!
Lastly, I noticed something earlier this week in the thread about boat docking, and a sign on the water that says "For people shopping on this side of the street only" or something to that effect. And, as soon as I got out of my car yesterday, I read a sign in Waldo's lot which read, "this lot for Waldo Pepper's customers only". With the store right across the street, I'm guessing there is some type of "conflict" taking place. Just a thought.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
secondcurve

Maybe Peppper and Waldo should try and franchise Waldo Peppers. It seems to be a big hit in these parts, so it might work.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Pineedles

Default Ingredients?

What is the composiiton of the Waldo Pepper Lobster roll? Percentage of tail meat to claw meat?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
Pineedles

Default Nobody knows?

I wasn't expecting Pepper to give me the recipe, just someone whose been there many times. I can handle claw meat, but the tail is a problem in large quantities. I have seen many places use nearly 100% tail meat. Does Pepper's use this quantity, or is it a mixture?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
jetskier

Default I don't see anyone docked there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
The fine folks who own the Handy-Dandy-Landing could quite possibly agree to something, there very nice people. And it would sure beat walking across dysfunction junction.

Now. WHERES OUR PEPPER???
Since Handy Landing no longer sells gas, I don't see anyone docked there anymore. They have some jetski rentals using the inner crib. But, the outer dock is never used. They might consider a per use docking fee. For $10 or so, I am sure that it would get use and solve this problem. Just a thought.

Jetskier
Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Captain Zipper

Pineedles,

It is "at least" a mix; I just ate there tonight and see claw parts in it.

It was very good. I went with the 1/2 pound roll being the glutten that I am.

$11.95 for the 1/4 pound, that's a pretty good deal compared to Connecticut prices.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
White Rook
Deceased Member

Thumbs up We're Going To Do It !!! (3)

Quote:

WE DID IT !!!!! We ate at Waldo Pepper's Saturday evening and boy oh boy was it worth it !!!! I had the 1/2 pound lobster roll cold with mayo and a side order of fries and cole slaw. It was positively delicious. ALL lobster meat with no filler! The fries and cole slaw were tops! My wife had the 1/2 sandwich of chicken parm and she said it was very good too. The place is clean, friendly, and efficient.

We were there for about 45 minutes and during that time, we saw two parties from our marina come in to eat. Needless to say, we'll be going back again and again and again .....

I spoke with Gail and asked for Pepper. Gail told me that Pepper and her husband have taken jobs at the recently opened Loew's. It would have been a pleasure to meet them.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
Island Girl

Default Waldo Peppers

Pepper is at Lowe's... Waldo is at the restaurant... cooking up a storm!!!

As for the parking... I believe the relationship between Waldo Peppers and Handing Landing is excellent... I would think that there are enough parking issues in the area for both establishments to need the signage they display.

.... and of course the Lobster Rolls are wonderful... I can never make up my mind though.. hot .. cold.. too many decisions!!!!

Love ya, Pepper

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
tricia1218

We tried the lobster roll for the 1st time ever at Waldo's about a month ago. After convincing my husband that you can get a lobster roll with drawn butter and not mayo, he is very much against the mayo and lobster thing. We loved it!! I am even trying to convince my father who is even more "lobster in shell is the only way to eat it" kind of guy. Maybe by the end of summer I can get him to try one too.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #19
psu1978

Question mayo vs butter??????

We are heading up to the lake in just over a week and I am not leaving until I get my first lobster roll from Waldo Pepper's (this is my 4th trip and enough is enough)! However, I can't decide...should I go with the mayo or butter version. Any input? I love lobster smothered in melted butter so that sounds delicious , but maybe the traditional style with mayo is better . Oh what is a girl to do????? I know I won't be able to get my family there twice, so trying both is not an option.

Please, those of you who have tried both, help me make a decision. Which is better??????
Old 07-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #20
Island Girl

Default One of each, of course

Instead of going for the double lobster roll.. get one of each.. eat the hot one first!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #21
Alton Bay Bob

Default My Mom is finally a believer!!!!

I am happy to report that one year after I became a complete Waldo Pepper lobster roll afficiando.. I have finally brought my mom over to the good side. She has always been a Maine lobster roll lover. This week mom and Dad got over the Weirs... and she said it was the best lobster roll ever... And they did not even have chardonnay!!! They both loved the french fires... Couldn't stop them from talking about them....We usually spend most of our boating time over in Alton..... but would love to boat over and enjoy the best lobster rolls ever more often.....
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
Misakame

Smile Waldo Peppers

Would someone please give me the directions to Waldo Peppers? We are up at the lake and would like to try their lobster rolls. Also, are they accessible by boat? Thanks for the help!!
Misakame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #23
Quilt Lady

Default by boat or by car . . .

Waldo Pepper's is located near the intersection of Rt 3 and 11B in Weirs Beach. You can get there by boat. Simply dock at the public docks at Weirs Beach. When you come up the stairs to the road go left towards the beach. Keep going up the hill to the famous Weirs Beach sign. Turn left and walk over the bridge past Channel Marine. As you continue on you will see a fork in the road . . . 11B goes up another hill and Rt 3 curves to the right. Follow Rt 3 past an empty lot, a car repair place and the next building (with the plane on the roof) is Waldo Pepper's.

You are in for a treat!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #24
Misakame

Smile

Thanks Quilt Lady. We have been coming up to the lake for the last 20 years and have never tried Waldos. We'll be looking forward to the treat!!
Misakame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #25
Winnigirl

The lobster rolls are amazing, but I also highly recommend their roast beef grinders too.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
Resident 2B

Default Waldo-Peppers

All their sandwiches, all the seafood and all the salads are outstanding. Half a sandwich is a meal in itself containing more meat than two one-footers in most other shops. I am so happy I can walk to Waldo-Peppers.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Default I Recommend EVERYTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl
The lobster rolls are amazing, but I also highly recommend their roast beef grinders too.
I've eaten loads of things at Waldo's -- lobster rolls, all kinds of subs, and PIZZA!!!!!!!!!! Everything has always been wonderful, my biggest dilemma is deciding on which of the 15 favorites of mine I want to eat at a particular time!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
kayakn

Thumbs up

Waldo Pepper's is the best!!!! Have always had great food. Poor staff today...fan out back died... must have been a hot one for them.... kudo's food still great! Thanks!!!
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #29
nj2nh

Thumbs up Finally!

We finally made it to Waldo Peppers with my husand's entire (finicky) family. Don't know why we didn't years ago. How we stupidly wasted all those years going elsewhere (Pop's Clam Shell in Alton, Tamarack) that we could have been enjoying a fabulous place.

The lobster roll was divine and the onion rings - wonderful.

Can't wait for the next time!

nj2nh
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #30
gtxrider

Default Had our LOBSTA Roll

My sister and I made a stop for a LOBSTA Roll last week. Great lunch but "NO PEPPER".
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #31
Cristen

Thumbs up Waldo Peppers is "Wicked Good"

Heard so many good things about the lobster rolls at Waldo Peppers, so I was on a mission to try one. It was wicked good!

PS: VitaBene - looks like I beat you to the review for this place.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #32
jetskier

Default Sorry, couldn't resist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
My sister and I made a stop for a LOBSTA Roll last week. Great lunch but "NO PEPPER".
Did you look next to the salt?

Jetskier
Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #33
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Thumbs up

We went to lunch at Peppers on Friday- I was planning on a lobstah roll all day then I viewed the specials- $23.95 got me a delicious lobster roll, fried clams, haddock and all the fixings! It was great and the folks working there were very friendly. Service was fast, but as it was Friday at 1 PM it was not slammed.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #34
idigtractors

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
Did you look next to the salt?

Jetskier
Quick thinking. I like that answer!!!!!
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #35
EricP

Default Great meal!

My wife and I stopped in today for dinner. Got the special with lobster roll, clams and fish. My wife ate the lobster roll and I had the clams and fish. The meal was fantastic and the slaw there is flat out the best I have ever had. Pepper was there and shared a couple tips for making that delicious slaw. Always a great visit.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #36
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Wp

This is how good Waldo Peppers food is.

The family decided to have our last vacation meal at WP last Wednesday night before we left to come back to NY (Boo!). We got there a little after 5:00 and it was packed. We could not believe it. There were motorcycles and cars all over the place and there was no place to park. In fact, we had to back out the parking lot as someone did not park in a space but in the roadway thru the parking lot. So we only got to WP once this year.

We went to the Tamarack instead. Then to Funspot, then to the Kellerhaus for the last sundae of the year.

We missed seeing you this year Pepper.

(And we miss NH already and we've only been home a week.)
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #37
sa meredith

Default when?

When do they close for the season??? I want to be sure to get there one last time.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #38
NHskier

I asked about closing when in there last Friday and was told they were going to try and stay open all winter, closed on Mondays & Tuesdays. Figure that'll give me an excuse to say hi to my boat up in the storage rack at Thurston's once in a while.
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #39
Resident 2B

Thumbs up Open all Winter!!

Waldo-Peppers being open all winter is great news! I ski most of the winter and I really missed Waldo-Peppers last year when they closed for the winter.

For those that spend time at the lake during the winter, try to drop in when up there to make it worth their while.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #40
Weirs guy

Remember, Peppers is a short snowmobile ride from the tracks and lake and is closest to the only gas station in that area....

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #41
chaseisland

Default Virginity

Having read about WP on this site my wife and I decided that today we would lose our virginity. Was it that great for you all as it was for us?
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #42
winniplayhouse

Default Good News!

I found out today that they are delivering again!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #43
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse
I found out today that they are delivering again!
What's their range for delivery?

Do they deliver in NJ?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #44
Captain Zipper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland
Having read about WP on this site my wife and I decided that today we would lose our virginity. Was it that great for you all as it was for us?
I'm so happy for you that you decided to "consume-ate" your marriage at Waldo's.

And "yes"; it was good for me!

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #45
Drummer Girl

Default hee hee

That was cute.

You were kidding, right??
Drummer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #46
JL Girl

Mom and I were at Waldo Pepper's on Saturday for our "lobster roll fix" and also sampled 1 of 3 soups they were serving that day - clam chowder, chicken noodle, and beef stew. What a great idea to have soups - expected 1 but not 3 different ones. Soup is in a cup or in a bread bowl. They also have a soup and sandwich special - cup of soup and full sandwich on bread (not sub roll) - ham and cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. - I think I remember it's $5.95 and one of the guys behind the counter said it's a real hit. I am so pleased they're open during the winter this year. Hope to hit it just right when Pepper's there - don't you miss seeing that smiling, wonderful person and her special, one of a kind hugs?!!!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #47
mrylmbt

Default waldo pepper's is moving

I saw in the paper today that they are moving down near laconia savings bank. good luck with the move and I hope your business improves. It should
that is a better location for the year round people.
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #48
Pepper

Thanks for your good wishes Mary! We're so excited!

See my post on the other thread.