Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Sub Crazy in Meredith

Haven't seen anyone mention this place, which is on the left going down the hill into Meredith, but some friends mentioned they had a good experience, so we tried it out last week.

First, the employees are super nice and accommodating--really nice to work with.

The subs were...OK. We ordered two large chicken parms and, though they were loaded with chicken, they were soggy. I think they might not have cooked it long enough. They were so full, we shared the two among we two parents and our two chillens and still had leftovers.

The prices are a bit steep--something like $11 each sub, though the chips and other accoutrements weren't bad.

We plan on giving them another shot --if they can get it right, we'd have the perfect Friday-night-boat-picnic-dinner!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
wifi

I got two "feedings" out of one sub, elevated price, like you mentioned, but it was good.

I can't get time off for lunch, otherwise I would go to Phu Jee, be nice if they were open to pick up something on the way to work.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
ericnh

Default Won't toast your sub? Lame!

I have never ordered n Italian sub and been refused the request to toast it until I went to sub crazy! It really shows how much they care about the customers satisfaction. The untoasted sub was ok... But I won't go back.
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnh For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnisquamer

Toasted italian sub? Never tried one, you peaked my interest, will have to next time I get one! I will say though I haven't had a really good italian sub since I moved to NH.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
hilltopper

I've ordered their Italian sub and thought it was good and worth the money I paid for it. I would go back.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Cahill's Super Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Toasted italian sub? Never tried one, you peaked my interest, will have to next time I get one! I will say though I haven't had a really good italian sub since I moved to NH.
In Hudson NH unfortunately. They have the best subs in NH. Huge subs at reasonable prices. They are located next to the old Benson's Animal Farm property.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
In Hudson NH unfortunately. They have the best subs in NH. Huge subs at reasonable prices. They are located next to the old Benson's Animal Farm property.
I can't see the subject line in Tapatalk, but I'm assuming you mentioned Cahill's, as that's the closest to Benson's--great place. I also LOVE Benedetti's in Haverhill. I'm really hoping the new place in Center Harbor is spectacular.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default They are missing out on a great idea!!!

Quote:
Sub Crazy is missing out on being truly innovative.

Italian Sub Panini!!!! Who'd a thunk it????
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
garysanfran

Default Taylor's on Main St...

in Meredith. I stop there as soon as I arrive and get the most genuine Italian, IMHO, around. Family owned and run for years. No web site. No advertising. Just word-of-mouth among the locals. I'm sure they'll toast an Italian for you.

I'd be curious on other's opinion of Taylor's. I don't see it mentioned much.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
in Meredith. I stop there as soon as I arrive and get the most genuine Italian, IMHO, around. Family owned and run for years. No web site. No advertising. Just word-of-mouth among the locals. I'm sure they'll toast an Italian for you.

I'd be curious on other's opinion of Taylor's. I don't see it mentioned much.
Where is this?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Where is this?
If I am not mistaken on Main Street behind the Mill Falls

Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
noreast

Unfortunately for me(and my family) I'm an expert on the Italian sub. Toasted Italians are relegated to the pizza shop. Long ago in Derry, Derry Village store, Made the best Italians in the world. Now, as someone said, It's almost impossible to get a good one in NH. Some of the new Italian specialty kitchens do make a good one. Though I frequent Cahills in Hudson, there Italians are very large but just average overall. You still can get great ones down in Mass, Mostly in the old neighborhoods in places like Medford. If anyone knows of a perfect Italian sub in NH, Please post.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Location

Quote:
Where is this?

On Mill Street, near case n keg off route 3. Before Mills Falls and town docks heading into Meredith on the left.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Newbiesaukee

The thread is confusing but I think the question of location referred to Taylor's which is on Main Street across from where AJs used to be. The thread is about Sub Crazy and its location is as note above.

Hope I did not add to the confusion.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
garysanfran

Default It's Called Taylor's Country Style Subs and Pizza...

They were next to Cumberland Farms on DW Hwy in Meredith. They moved to a more sit-down style restaurant at 30 Main St., Meredith. I think they do breakfast. I'm mostly familiar with their subs, but have had a very good pizza from there a few times. It's about halfway between the new Lakeview Tavern and the post office, just down the hill from Phu Jee & Frog Rock Tavern.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #16
KPW

Default Rigatoni's Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Unfortunately for me(and my family) I'm an expert on the Italian sub. Toasted Italians are relegated to the pizza shop. Long ago in Derry, Derry Village store, Made the best Italians in the world. Now, as someone said, It's almost impossible to get a good one in NH. Some of the new Italian specialty kitchens do make a good one. Though I frequent Cahills in Hudson, there Italians are very large but just average overall. You still can get great ones down in Mass, Mostly in the old neighborhoods in places like Medford. If anyone knows of a perfect Italian sub in NH, Please post.
Rigatoni's in Derry has great Italian subs. I remember Derry Village store. Great subs and awesome marinated mushrooms.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #17
meredith weekender

Quote:
A toasted italian sub with oil is the absolute best. Usually best from a greek owned pizza shop.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meredith weekender For This Useful Post:
KPW (06-01-2016), VitaBene (06-01-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #18
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Rigatoni's in Derry has great Italian subs. I remember Derry Village store. Great subs and awesome marinated mushrooms.
I do go to Rigatoni's all the time, Usually not for Italians but they are pretty good. They use fresh, quality meats but a little bland for some reason which I can't figure out. If you remember Derry village, you may also remember Broadway pizza and subs? Excellent subs as well. Ah the good old days when Derry was a farm town, Kinda.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
KPW (06-03-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #19
christo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast
If ever in Revere try New Deal on broadway they make a hell of an Italian sub .You could survive for a week on one.
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christo1 For This Useful Post:
noreast (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

I grew up in East Boston and back then we had a lot of outstanding authentic Italian sub shops there. Today there are still a few left in Eastie and one of the best is Roy's Cold Cuts.

Roy's was started in 1960 by Roy Antonuccio. Today the tradition continues with his son Roy Jr. running the business.

One of my favorite subs there is the Godfather, which is Chicken Cutlets, Parma Prosciutto, mozzarella, roasted peppers and tomatoes.

If you want a great Italian sub, this is the place to go to. It's worth the trip!

Here is a link to a segment on Roy's done by The Phantom Gourmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m773dIzoVUo

and some pics:

Two Eastie icons, former Patriot tight end and Super Bowl Champ Jermaine Wiggins (L) and owner Roy Jr. (R)

The Godfather sub:

Inside Roy's:

BunnyClark97 (06-06-2016), KPW (06-04-2016), Nagigator (06-04-2016), noreast (06-04-2016), webmaster (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #21
noreast

Wow, That's the real deal. Some one went old school with the Moxie as well.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
Orion

Default Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Wow, That's the real deal. Some one went old school with the Moxie as well.
Old school?.....have you tried a Moxie-Morgan? Capt Morgan's and Moxie......much better than with Coke.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I stop by Sub Crazy once a week or so. The rolls are from Piantedosi and are very good. I broke tradition and had chicken ranch instead of meatball (they spread some ricotta on the meatball sub roll)

It is a nice family run spot!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #24
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
they spread some ricotta on the meatball sub roll

It is a nice family run spot!

That is one of the greatest ideas in history.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #25
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
(they spread some ricotta on the meatball sub roll)
I wonder if this is what they do/did for chicken parm subs, too--that would explain the sogginess!
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (06-07-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #26
rick35

We stopped at Sub Crazy on our way in last night. My wife and I both had steak and cheese subs. The steak looked like it had gone through a food processor and all you could taste was the cheese. We wont be back.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (08-13-2016), Hillcountry (08-13-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
noreast

I was there the other day, Had an excellent Italian. There were 8 of us and everyone liked there's, Though only the children had steak so I can't comment on that.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #28
thinkxingu

So I've been to Sub Crazy a few times now, and, though the subs taste OK, I always feel like I got ripped off. Cost me $14.90 for a large chicken parm, a small bag of chips, and a bottle of soda. Don't think I'll be back.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
MikeF-NH

toasted italian is the way to go!

Hint to get a non-soggy chix parm sandwich or any sandwich with marinara on it....ask for the sauce on the side. That way you put the sauce on when ready to eat and it doesn't have a chance to make the bread soggy. This way you also control the amount of sauce on the sandwich. unless you are eating this type of sandwich on the spot...this is the only way to go.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
toasted italian is the way to go!

Hint to get a non-soggy chix parm sandwich or any sandwich with marinara on it....ask for the sauce on the side. That way you put the sauce on when ready to eat and it doesn't have a chance to make the bread soggy. This way you also control the amount of sauce on the sandwich. unless you are eating this type of sandwich on the spot...this is the only way to go.
They don't toast any of their subs. The sandwich wasn't soggy this time, but it was still small enough to feel overcharged.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #31
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu
So I've been to Sub Crazy a few times now, and, though the subs taste OK, I always feel like I got ripped off. Cost me $14.90 for a large chicken parm, a small bag of chips, and a bottle of soda. Don't think I'll be back.
Oh yeah, know what you say.

Just up the hill at McDonald's, you can get a mcdouble cheeseburger or a mcchicken sandwich, small fries, large free cup water, and internet wifi for $2.73, plus the 1986-vintage, Meredith McDonald's has inside seating and LL Bean moose, decor design that's way better than any of the recently built mc-drestaurants.

On the down side, the new McD menu boards have been changed from static and easy-to-read to changing, moving, tv-style screens that are confusing, and way over priced so I just order the "$2.73 special" and totally ignore the menu boards.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Stopped in a week or so ago and picked up 2 large Italians. A bit pricey, but excellent, and big enough for 2. Ordered a pepperoni pizza tonight, it was about as good as the prepared uncooked pizza from Shaw's.....terrible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #33
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

McD's in Meredith is disgusting! The only thing I ever got there that was any good was the coffee.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #34
Bayview Girl

Really..... certainly not our experiences. Sub Crazy has always been delicious. Have you ever ordered a bucket of meatballs & some of the most delicious sauce from them? Oh btw they throw in a 1 lb of pasta for free. And I'm going out on a limb here.... but bet if you asked (nicely) to purchase one of their amazing homemade sub rolls you could create a huge delish dinner for less than $25.00. McDonalds really.....

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Bayview Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #35
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayview Girl View Post
Really..... certainly not our experiences. Sub Crazy has always been delicious. Have you ever ordered a bucket of meatballs & some of the most delicious sauce from them? Oh btw they throw in a 1 lb of pasta for free. And I'm going out on a limb here.... but bet if you asked (nicely) to purchase one of their amazing homemade sub rolls you could create a huge delish dinner for less than $25.00. McDonalds really.....

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

You can't take anything FLL says seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #36
thinkxingu

I don't know why I bother with this place—Fridays and Saturdays now are only online ordering that requires making an account.

Chickie fingers better be good tonight!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #37
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
I don't know why I bother with this place—Fridays and Saturdays now are only online ordering that requires making an account.

Chickie fingers better be good tonight!

I agree, they aren't very accommodating. I get my subs at the Mobil across from town docks. Great sandwiches and always fresh ingredients.

Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #38
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I agree, they aren't very accommodating. I get my subs at the Mobil across from town docks. Great sandwiches and always fresh ingredients.

I keep forgetting about that recommendation!

Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #39
fatlazyless

At the new Market Basket in Plymouth, they make subs either to go, or eat there in the MB-officers club, dining area located in the front corner.

For $5.29 plus tax you can get a large cold sub; roast beef, Italian, ham, American, turkey, or ultimate w/ rb, ham & turkey.

For $5.99 plus tax you can get a large hot sub; chicken parm, eggplant parm, meatball, or meatloaf.

For 50-cents with no tax, you can get a 12-oz bottle, warm, of orange, root beer, cola, or ginger ale, or a 99-cent cup of coffee, or a 59 or 99-cent cup of expresso coffee.

........ the very good stuff, and relatively cheap compared to your Meredith prices.