Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
sledneck

Default The Steakhouse at Christmas Island

I recently visited the Steakhouse at Christmas Island for dinner. I walked in and there was nobody to seat me. After several minutes I asked a nice family sitting by the door if I was supposed to seat myself. I eventually sat down at an open table with a menu but nobody ever came to welcome me. After about 20 minutes of being ignored I left. I ate there last year with the family and had a great dinner. Chicken Parm was delicious and good portions. Anyone else visit here recently?
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

My wife and I went there last summer. We were not impressed. We won't be returning any time soon.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

My family went two summers ago and had one of the best experiences we've ever had in the Lakes Region. Unfortunately, it closed shortly thereafter and, since reopening, we've not heard great things.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
belly_button_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My family went two summers ago and had one of the best experiences we've ever had in the Lakes Region. Unfortunately, it closed shortly thereafter and, since reopening, we've not heard great things.

Unfortunately my recent visit had very little positive to report. A Wednesday night and it was only about 25 to 30% full at 7:30. They had a all you can eat prime rib Buffet for $20. Unfortunately they ran out of prime rib which I cannot understand because they have four or five prime rib items on their regular menu. Poor management. Had to settle for a New York strip which was way over cooked to my liking.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Biggd

The guy that bought the place is from my home town of Waltham so I thought I would go and support him. His family is in the landscape construction and contracting business. I guess they need to get someone in there that knows restaurant management. They clearly need some help before the place crashes an burns.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
. They clearly need some help before the place crashes an burns.
Everything around it burnt . so why not

ooops -- poor taste in jokes Phantom

Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
WinnisquamZ

My wife and I enjoy going out to eat here. Food has always been very good. Better then most of the restaurants in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by WinnisquamZ; 07-14-2017 at 01:24 PM.
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Lenny Hodges

This place is great. My wife & I stop in at least once a week. The food and service is fantastic. A great team of people work as one to deliver a fun dining experience. The bar is always hopping with live music too.
The steaks are always cooked to perfection. Cannot say enough about this place. Give it another try, you will be happy you did.
Lenny Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Hodges View Post
This place is great. My wife & I stop in at least once a week. The food and service is fantastic. A great team of people work as one to deliver a fun dining experience. The bar is always hopping with live music too.
The steaks are always cooked to perfection. Cannot say enough about this place. Give it another try, you will be happy you did.
Welcome to the forum, Lenny!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
Lakemamma

I noticed in the paper that they now will pick you up at Weirs Dock if you make a reservation.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
dpg

Not very good reviews at all however the two good ones are the 1st and 13th post?? Hmmmm!!?? Owners/friends/family or all of the above??? I'll stay away till some "old timers" who have been around give a thumbs up.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Not very good reviews at all however the two good ones are the 1st and 13th post?? Hmmmm!!?? Owners/friends/family or all of the above??? I'll stay away till some "old timers" who have been around give a thumbs up.
Am I missing something? I only see 11 posts and the 1st is not very good.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
GBGX2

Default Actually Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Am I missing something? I only see 11 posts and the 1st is not very good.
They are referring to Post #7 and that the poster has only 13 posts "associated" to their name.
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
They are referring to Post #7 and that the poster has only 13 posts "associated" to their name.
Got it!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Exactly...Sorry a little confusing I guess the way I wrote that.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hmmm... Lenny Hodges hasn't been back...

Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Hillcountry

Just a passing (literally) thought about Christmas Island restaurant...drove by it yesterday and there were people, perhaps the proprietors, that were unloading a vehicle in front of the building. Scanning to the right side of the parking lot I saw a pile of trash containers filled with garbage, etc. that to me, looked totally unappealing and a good reason to keep driving. Not sure if they cleaned up that mess before opening but it sure was a nasty sight to be sitting in front of an eating establishment.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #18
roastbeef

I thought the food was very good, thanks to the "Grill Master", but they are way understaffed, closed on Sunday, and the manager can scare the hair right off your head as she greets you. With her hundreds of tattoos and body piercings she scared my daughter as we walked in. Almost like entering a haunted house (where you pay to be scared) you walk in to find this woman looming behind a desk for you as she pops out to welcome you. The staff was very nice and accommodating, but I don't get the owners (who goes by Doug from Mass) idea of a family restaurant. There are many locals I know that work there and it's great they are employed, but the owner is sabotaging his own restaurant. Last year it was a much more festive and warm place. Candles with a Christmas theme. This year it looks like the cross between a family and vacation restaurant and a Biker Bar.
The rumors of The Owner (Doug from Mass) throwing in "GoGo dancers" and steaks is just a far fetched combo. Where is this mans brain. In 2016 it was a quaint restaurant with a Christmas theme, this year it made a sharp left turn down crazy street, especially if you are eating and a GoGo dancer is selling you her prime meat. This is a family town and vacation place. If you want a Gogo restaurant maybe it's a bad idea. Or make it a burger bar with Gogo dancers, "which I feel this town don't need". Drop the pipe Mr. Doug and figure out if your running a prime meat steak house or a half brothel munchies bar.
I feel bad for the cooks and staff, for they are good people who know how to serve and cook a great steak.
My suggestions, go back to the family Christmas theme and remove Ms. Halloween as the face of your restaurant. I am sure she can do just as good a job behind the scenes. As restaurant needs a bright happy and welcome face, and enough staff to get the job done. Not two on a Friday with 30 tables and a bar with people eating. Greed seems to be the only thing on the owners mind, not quality.

roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Biggd

These new owners are landscape and construction people. They need to get someone in there that knows how to run a restaurant or they will be out of business fast. They have a terrific location so there's really no excuse for running it this way. And how can you not open on Sunday in resort area that's buzzing with weekend visitors?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I thought the food was very good, thanks to the "Grill Master", but they are way understaffed, closed on Sunday, and the manager can scare the hair right off your head as she greets you. With her hundreds of tattoos and body piercings she scared my daughter as we walked in. Almost like entering a haunted house (where you pay to be scared) you walk in to find this woman looming behind a desk for you as she pops out to welcome you. The staff was very nice and accommodating, but I don't get the owners (who goes by Doug from Mass) idea of a family restaurant. There are many locals I know that work there and it's great they are employed, but the owner is sabotaging his own restaurant. Last year it was a much more festive and warm place. Candles with a Christmas theme. This year it looks like the cross between a family and vacation restaurant and a Biker Bar.
The rumors of The Owner (Doug from Mass) throwing in "GoGo dancers" and steaks is just a far fetched combo. Where is this mans brain. In 2016 it was a quaint restaurant with a Christmas theme, this year it made a sharp left turn down crazy street, especially if you are eating and a GoGo dancer is selling you her prime meat. This is a family town and vacation place. If you want a Gogo restaurant maybe it's a bad idea. Or make it a burger bar with Gogo dancers, "which I feel this town don't need". Drop the pipe Mr. Doug and figure out if your running a prime meat steak house or a half brothel munchies bar.
I feel bad for the cooks and staff, for they are good people who know how to serve and cook a great steak.
My suggestions, go back to the family Christmas theme and remove Ms. Halloween as the face of your restaurant. I am sure she can do just as good a job behind the scenes. As restaurant needs a bright happy and welcome face, and enough staff to get the job done. Not two on a Friday with 30 tables and a bar with people eating. Greed seems to be the only thing on the owners mind, not quality.

Geeze....I would go just to see her!
Nothing wrong with "go go" girls either....some of those single moms get great income from it...as far as the location, you're right....a strip club needs to be back in the boonies somewhere.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
MeredithMan

Default Really...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Geeze....I would go just to see her!
Nothing wrong with "go go" girls either....some of those single moms get great income from it...as far as the location, you're right....a strip club needs to be back in the boonies somewhere.
So are all strippers single moms, or are all single moms strippers? Even as a dude, I find your comment really ignorant...
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
So are all strippers single moms, or are all single moms strippers? Even as a dude, I find your comment really ignorant...
If you noticed, I said SOME
Obviously, some are and some not....dude.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #23
MeredithMan

Default Thanks for the clarification....

I'm sure a lot of the ladies on this forum will have an opinion on your comments. Good luck....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #24
WinnisquamZ

Not sure if you are arrogant or just an as$. The people working there are terrific! A little ink scares you and your family. Stick with Harts Turkey Farm or Friendly's, more room at the Bar for the wife and I. You are correct about one thing, the food is terrific.

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 AM   #25
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
So are all strippers single moms, or are all single moms strippers?
Go-go dancers vs. strippers?

Apples vs. oranges.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #26
Phantom

I read the words "Go-Go Dancers" and immediately see someone who has dated themselves !!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #27
roastbeef

I see "Go Go Dancer" at a "Prime Steak house" and don't try to Decipher in my car ( with my wife and kids). Is this like Bringing your children into Dante's Inferno for a vacation meal. Sort of like someone mentioned "Apples and Oranges" and calling Go Go dancers an outdated term. I don't know about you but the two don't mix. I want the steak house the way it looked in 2016, with the Christmas tree, green garland and candles throughout,"it was warm". It's lost it's flare with the new management.
Going to a steak house in a family resort town with pole dancers is like Sesame Street on "Crack".
Don't disgrace this old place and run it like it should. If I want pole dancers I will go into a bar that says it has them, I am not pulling up to National Lampoons Summer Vacation 5 with my kids in a blind stare as prime rib is served up on the ass of Ms Ginger.
Let's just go to Shaw's for a generator and home depot for a prime filet,,
Like I said, bring back the family warmth, and stop having a parking lot that you have to question if your even open.
PS- once again the staff is great and way under staffed for the work they do.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #28
Lenny Hodges

Wow, you must have a great view from that mountain top you live on.

Would you prefer that the restaurant close? It also seems to me that someone has a bit of a vendetta against the people running this place. (Waltham people are bad.)

The woman whom you seem intimidated by is by far one of the hardest working, dedicated woman I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know.

The fact that you judge her and the other employees by their appearance is a window into who you are as a person. Not nice.

Instead of putting down this small independently owned business that is trying to make a go of it here in Laconia, let's offer them our support and constructive suggestions as to where they need to improve without the cheap shot personal attacks.
Lenny Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #29
roastbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Hodges View Post
Wow, you must have a great view from that mountain top you live on.

Would you prefer that the restaurant close? It also seems to me that someone has a bit of a vendetta against the people running this place. (Waltham people are bad.)

The woman whom you seem intimidated by is by far one of the hardest working, dedicated woman I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know.

The fact that you judge her and the other employees by their appearance is a window into who you are as a person. Not nice.

Instead of putting down this small independently owned business that is trying to make a go of it here in Laconia, let's offer them our support and constructive suggestions as to where they need to improve without the cheap shot personal attacks.

"WOW LENNY", Do you have an ownership interest in this business. If you're Doug's friend from Waltham, "So be it". But can you possibly get a grip on yourself and wrap your head around a topless prime steakhouse? Maybe we can hang each cut of meat from their necks, and possibly have a sample as they grind on the bar stools, "Are you insane at this concept". Why not just start a Laconia Red Light District (could you imagine the clams in the half shell).
The main Idea is this is a family town and I have always respected the purity of it since the day I moved here. It's bad enough we have a huge Opioid epidemic, we don't need to lower our values while Laconia's finest battle the drugs.
Honestly Lenny, if that is the way they wish to run there business then run it as so. Put a "Gentlemen's Club" sign outside, "Christmas island shake and bake", Don't call it Christmas Island Steak House! So at least locals and visitors can drive by and know if there getting a steak or other type of swinging meat, "their choice".
But we need to keep the family values we have always had in our community and protect the visiting families from under cover topless bars.
I apologize for judging the tattooed manager, I am sure she's a lovely girl, whom am I to judge. Sorry To You Mam if your reading this. I am sure your a lovely person.
Lenny get out of the business now till you lose everything!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #30
crowsnest

Default Great Food

Went for dinner there last Friday night and had the prime rib it was delicious.
Friends had the pork chops and scallops with no complaints . The french fries where the best I've had Service was good food was a little slow coming out but made from scratch and worth the wait. Looking forward to going back.
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
Donzi Minx

Smile Christmas Island

Since my uncle sold the property in West Alton I have been outta touch with the local eateries. It truly is a tough area to make a go of it. Canoe, was always pretty high on my list, but I am now a day tripper to paradise.
Roast Beef, you missed your calling. I howled reading your posts!

Go Easy,
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
Fiberhen

Default My cheers!

Love the atmosphere and love going where everybody knows your name....fun group, best wings, fabulous drinks....welcome Kris to the bar!!
Always have had great meals and if something is off ALWAYS it is rectified...
Doug, Peggy, Sherrilynn thank you for keeping this a Great gathering place!
Fiberhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #33
roastbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
"WOW LENNY", Do you have an ownership interest in this business. If you're Doug's friend from Waltham, "So be it". But can you possibly get a grip on yourself and wrap your head around a topless prime steakhouse? Maybe we can hang each cut of meat from their necks, and possibly have a sample as they grind on the bar stools, "Are you insane at this concept". Why not just start a Laconia Red Light District (could you imagine the clams in the half shell).
The main Idea is this is a family town and I have always respected the purity of it since the day I moved here. It's bad enough we have a huge Opioid epidemic, we don't need to lower our values while Laconia's finest battle the drugs.
Honestly Lenny, if that is the way they wish to run there business then run it as so. Put a "Gentlemen's Club" sign outside, "Christmas island shake and bake", Don't call it Christmas Island Steak House! So at least locals and visitors can drive by and know if there getting a steak or other type of swinging meat, "their choice".
But we need to keep the family values we have always had in our community and protect the visiting families from under cover topless bars.
I apologize for judging the tattooed manager, I am sure she's a lovely girl, whom am I to judge. Sorry To You Mam if your reading this. I am sure your a lovely person.
Lenny get out of the business now till you lose everything!

Is there an update on the opening of the Steak House on Christmas Island. I have always enjoyed their steaks 🥩. But I did hear, “Doug the Landscaper”, is still the head of the establishment.
I am looking forward to a great summer and a great steak. Please send in Chef Gordon Ramsey to show Doug how to get it done.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #34
GBGX2

Default Sounds like things are already going just fine!

Name:  CF108852-C0A8-43C9-8F8C-5D39D8C46ADF.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  77.3 KBhttps://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...58402007552988
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote