Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default NHEC question

I have a service pole (telephone pole?) in my yard. The lines come off the street, connect to this pole, and then connect to the meter at the rear of my house. NHEC came by, recently, and told me the pole needs to be replaced. The representative also said I should move the meter (connections and all that), from the back of the house, to the front (off to the side) of the house.

I have been told that I don't HAVE to move the meter and connections, and if I did, the cost would be mine. It was suggested, if NHEC insisted on the move, that they should incur the cost.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for responses.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Rusty

This might help you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Section-4-Metering(1).pdf (37.8 KB, 663 views)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
jeffk

Did they give reasons for why you "should" move the meter? For their convenience? For safety? I would think if there were safety concerns you would not have a choice. It would be important to understand their reasons and possible future repercussions if you don't move the meter. Since everything is now digital, no one has to get to the meter to read it so that can't be it. Maybe their reasoning is based on outdated requirements? Since you don't HAVE to move it, I assume you are grandfathered even though you may not meet current requirements. Would it be a problem if you wanted to sell the house in the future? Again, the WHY is important.

I would agree if they were insisting I would want to know why I should have to pay but you say they are NOT insisting so it's a moot point.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Hillcountry

I have the same setup with the pole on my property but from the pole everything is underground to my house. I would never move my meter for any reason as the panel in the basement is right under the meter. Talk about re-inventing the wheel! If they incurred the costs and there was no choice, so be it.
I have NHEC too.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 04-29-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #5
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I have a service pole (telephone pole?) in my yard. The lines come off the street, connect to this pole, and then connect to the meter at the rear of my house. NHEC came by, recently, and told me the pole needs to be replaced. The representative also said I should move the meter (connections and all that), from the back of the house, to the front (off to the side) of the house.

I have been told that I don't HAVE to move the meter and connections, and if I did, the cost would be mine. It was suggested, if NHEC insisted on the move, that they should incur the cost.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for responses.
Was it that same rep that told you you don't HAVE to move it or was it someone else? Grandfathering usually is in play as long as nothing is done, once any upgrade is required bringing the entire system to code is also usually required. I guess you need to see if it is a code requirement.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Thank you for your informative and thought provoking responses.

I expect to be meeting with an NHEC rep this week.

I'll be back!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default I'm back!

For starters, everything worked out fine.

To answer a few questions:
-My advisement came from a retired NHEC lineman
-Yes, I am grandfathered
-The NHEC rep did not tell me I didn't have to move the pole (but it was his suggestion), and other than being very persuasive, he was never forceful or over-bearing
-Between Hillcountry's info on panel placement, and my advisor, I pretty much knew the right thing to do
-Yes, it seemed the suggestion to move the pole was primarily for NHEC's convenience

The short story:
As this unfolded, the /NHEC strike was about to begin. I called the rep, and, of course, he was on strike, too.

Some time went by, and I tried to resume contact with the rep- but now he had gone on vacation (5/9/18- away indefinitely).

As of 6/12/18, I was told it might be a few weeks (to do the job)

I was told I would receive advance notice of the timing for the install.

7/13/18- 7:00am- No notice- two HUGE trucks show up, ready to go.

It was a very friendly, efficient crew. I had a few yard-care concerns, and they were professionally addressed.

Bottom line- Maybe five hours to complete- no concerns. Very impressive operation.

I know that this type of information may, sometime, be of help to others, so my apologies for the delay.

Thank you for the replies, suggestions, help and concern.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Lakeboater

Default Cost?

Quote:
For starters, everything worked out fine.

To answer a few questions:
-My advisement came from a retired NHEC lineman
-Yes, I am grandfathered
-The NHEC rep did not tell me I didn't have to move the pole (but it was his suggestion), and other than being very persuasive, he was never forceful or over-bearing
-Between Hillcountry's info on panel placement, and my advisor, I pretty much knew the right thing to do
-Yes, it seemed the suggestion to move the pole was primarily for NHEC's convenience

The short story:
As this unfolded, the /NHEC strike was about to begin. I called the rep, and, of course, he was on strike, too.

Some time went by, and I tried to resume contact with the rep- but now he had gone on vacation (5/9/18- away indefinitely).

As of 6/12/18, I was told it might be a few weeks (to do the job)

I was told I would receive advance notice of the timing for the install.

7/13/18- 7:00am- No notice- two HUGE trucks show up, ready to go.

It was a very friendly, efficient crew. I had a few yard-care concerns, and they were professionally addressed.

Bottom line- Maybe five hours to complete- no concerns. Very impressive operation.

I know that this type of information may, sometime, be of help to others, so my apologies for the delay.

Thank you for the replies, suggestions, help and concern.
So NHEC showed up and replaced the pole in your yard? What was the cost for them to do it or was it done for free?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
ITD (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

My original concern was the costs involved in moving the pole. As it turned out, if moved, the new location of the connection at the house would have been right near the entrance-way- a no-go for me! I got an electrician's estimate (just in case!) for the cost of rewiring the inside- NHEC covers everything from the new pole location to the house. Estimate from the hook-up at the house side to the downstairs panel= $2,000-$3000.

So, just having the pole replaced, not moved- cost to me= $0.

Thank you, grandfather!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Hivolt

Quote:
My original concern was the costs involved in moving the pole. As it turned out, if moved, the new location of the connection at the house would have been right near the entrance-way- a no-go for me! I got an electrician's estimate (just in case!) for the cost of rewiring the inside- NHEC covers everything from the new pole location to the house. Estimate from the hook-up at the house side to the downstairs panel= $2,000-$3000.

So, just having the pole replaced, not moved- cost to me= $0.

Thank you, grandfather!!!
Would you moving your service entrance have enabled the coop to eliminate the pole and run your service right to your house from the roadside pole?

Sometimes that is suggested if you have an old service entrance because if the pole comes down during a storm you’re pretty much the last priority and it could be days before a new pole is set and service is restored.

Sometimes people have to have them though, specifically if the height requirement over the road can’t be met because a house has a low roof.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

No. The distance from the farther pole to the house would be too great. The new pole, moved or not, needed to be installed.

I hear what you're saying, about old poles, but thankfully the pole that got replaced hadn't needed service in over thirty years (hope I didn't just jinx myself!).