Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #101
joey2665

I know it means not getting the federal funding but if part of the trail can be along the lake where are you could be cost-effective and the other part one along route 106 to avoid the bridge near pickerel pond and other hazards areas such as the tunnel I think I would be a great compromise. Maybe re-connect to the lake just passed Aquamarina up into Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #102
jetskier

Post Federal Funding

Hi Joey2665,

Federal funding is not contingent upon building along or over the railway. Money that is allocated by the Fed to New Hampshire for alternative transportation is disbursed by DOT to projects as they see fit. I would be surprised if DOT were to allocate money to the WOW trail based upon replacing the rail line.

Just saying.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-03-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #103
Woodsy

NH DOT can allocate the money without the need for replacing the existing railroad... Replacing the existing railroad just makes the construction costs way cheaper.

I do not see the STB, the NH DOT or the Railroad companies allowing the track to be torn up...

The WOW folks need to coexist...

Woodsy
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #104
Trail Goer

Getting back to beating on a dead horse here!
For those in favor of the trail and who have zero regard for the railroad, this is what must be done for the rails to pulled up (see link). The railroad line up in Littleton, NH hasn't seen a train on those tracks since 1998 and it took the New Hampshire Central Railroad, up until about 2 years ago, to file a discontinuance with the STB, to remove themselves of common carrier obligations and remove themselves of a lease agreement with the state, before the state could even petition for abandonment. It's going to be an awfully tall order (if not impossible) to get the tracks shut down to build phase 3 in place of the tracks. Alta's study was supposed to wrap up at the end of April, I'm eagerly waiting to see the results of their winter long study. I imagine it will be any day now when the study is submitted to the city of Laconia.
https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readin...f?OpenDocument
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #105
Trail Goer

The city of Laconia, has yet to go public with results from Alta's study, that they preformed over the winter. Much to my surprise however, I just came across this article that sheds light on a study that the railroad paid for. If the city ever decides to release the results of the study, one should be able to compare both.

"An analysis says the Hobo & Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad in New Hampshire accounts for more than $17.4 million in total economic impact annually."

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/...gional-economy
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (05-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #106
joey2665

I said it before and will day it again. They will never dismantle the railroad and the only way for the WOW Trail to proceed with the next phase is for the trail and rail co coexist.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #107
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
The city of Laconia, has yet to go public with results from Alta's study, that they preformed over the winter. Much to my surprise however, I just came across this article that sheds light on a study that the railroad paid for. If the city ever decides to release the results of the study, one should be able to compare both.

"An analysis says the Hobo & Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad in New Hampshire accounts for more than $17.4 million in total economic impact annually."

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/...gional-economy
Would you honestly expect the study (paid for by the company that profits from its use) to have any negative connotations?

From the same article:
Quote:
$17.4 million dollars in total economic impact annually, and affects the equivalent of nearly 380 full and part time jobs in the restaurant, lodging, hospitality and retail sectors.
Are we to believe that these trains are the sole reason the tourist/passengers visited the area? They made the reservations, booked their rooms etc. simply to come here and ride the hobo?

I did my own study many years ago.... The results.... 100% of "studies" are biased. Including mine of course!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #108
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Would you honestly expect the study (paid for by the company that profits from its use) to have any negative connotations?

From the same article:

Are we to believe that these trains are the sole reason the tourist/passengers visited the area? They made the reservations, booked their rooms etc. simply to come here and ride the hobo?

I did my own study many years ago.... The results.... 100% of "studies" are biased. Including mine of course!

That is not what the study says. Itís is saying what the 17.4 million equates too, not that it created those or is the sole reason those jobs exist.

However I do agree all studies do have some degree of bias.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #109
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is not what the study says. Itís is saying what the 17.4 million equates too, not that it created those or is the sole reason those jobs exist.

However I do agree all studies do have some degree of bias.

The study in that article says:
Quote:
The Railroad, which operates excursions from Lincoln, Meredith & Weirs Beach, New Hampshire, accounts for more than $17.4 million dollars in total economic impact annually, and affects the equivalent of nearly 380 full and part time jobs in the restaurant, lodging, hospitality and retail sectors.
So, you are saying that it "equates to", but the published article says "accounts for".... BIG difference.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #110
joey2665

Quote:
The study in that article says:

So, you are saying that it "equates to", but the published article says "accounts for".... BIG difference.

Yes it accounts for 17.4 million to the economy which equates to 350 jobs, it did not create or is not the reason these jobs are maintained. Itís just saying 27.4 million equals about 350 jobs as a comparison

Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #111
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Yes it accounts for 17.4 million to the economy which equates to 350 jobs, it did not create or is not the reason these jobs are maintained. Itís just saying 27.4 million equals about 350 jobs as a comparison

Nice job, stripping my quote/comments to make your point "feel" stronger! Very Conservative of you.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #112
joey2665

Quote:
Nice job, stripping my quote/comments to make your point "feel" stronger! Very Conservative of you.
Thank you very much I appreciate the compliment

Old 05-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #113
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Thank you very much I appreciate the compliment

Well I am aware that you are the "BE-ALL-END-ALL" of every discussion on this forum. So, carry on with your bad self.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #114
joey2665

Quote:
Well I am aware that you are the "BE-ALL-END-ALL" of every discussion on this forum. So, carry on with your bad self.
What in God’s good earth are you talking about? We are not allowed to read and interpret a study and come up with different conclusions.

Oh I see we all have to agree with you, I’m sorry your interpretation is correct and I am wrong please forgive me.

I just do not understand why people cannot agree to disagree and move on.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #115
Trail Goer

Quote:

From the same article:

We will have to wait for the city to release their study, which we all know will be in favor of the WOW Trail, so let's not kid ourselves. The railroad did the right thing though, it will be up to one's own interpretation of both studies to draw their own conclusion.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #116
joey2665

Article in Concord Monitor

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Basch...iders-25343268

Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #117
fatlazyless

....dis stupid newspaper won't let me read it cause I already used up my five free reads ...... so, someone post the article but without a link!!!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #118
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,346 Times in 614 Posts

Mostly about the current trail; a bit about the regional vision:

Quote:
By MARTY BASCH
For the Concord Monitor

Lake Winnisquam, Opechee Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee are part of a Lakes Region triple play that will knock rail trail lovers out.

By combining Laconia’s WOW Trail with Belmont’s relatively new Lake Winnisquam Scenic Trail, cyclists and others using the paved multi-use pathways can enjoy traveling along the edge of the soothing and scenic waters with rippling mountains on the horizon. Then take in some urban charm in the form of colorful murals along the 10-foot wide track in the Lake City. There is plenty of access to shops and restaurants as well as a public beach. Benches dot the way and occasional placards provide a tad of history about the region, too.

The WOW Trail, at present, is 2.7 miles long while the Winni Trail as it is nicknamed clocks in at some 1.8 miles with its rises and turns making the out-and-back odyssey some nine miles.

Nine miles is also the planned length of the WOW Trail when it’s finished, the idea that it will keep on running from its current northern terminus in Lakeport to Meredith one day.

The Lakes Region is a popular summer tourist haven so pedaling the trails in spring is a plus before the crowds arrive. The WOW Trail has several access points including one in Lakeport, one by the former B&M train station in Laconia which saw passenger service end in the mid-1960s and another by Bartlett Beach. We chose the convenience of Belmont’s Leslie E. Roberts Beach and Recreation Area off Route 3 near the Laconia-Gilford bypass as it’s a gateway for both trails.

The first section of the trail between Lakeport and downtown opened in 2010 and has landmarks like a towering church spire on the United Baptist Church and the Romanesque Revival style Laconia Public Library, both on the National Register of Historic Places. The second section of the trail opened in 2016 and winds by the train station and Pitman’s Freight Room, a concert and function hall in a former freight depot.

Heading north, my wife Jan and I enjoyed the spin in late April and were soon hugging Lake Winnisquam’s picturesque shoreline – it’s New Hampshire’s fourth largest lake – and wound down along Bartlett Beach, favored by young families using the playground and picnic tables.

As the trail gets closer to downtown it makes good use of sidewalks that are well-marked in loud WOW colors. There were multiple street crossings and drivers generally heeded us wheeling into the crosswalks with one even wishing us a good day.

Railroad trestles, compact homes, plenty of water and lots of art were part of the landscape. Cyclists, runners, the lake, and the trail were subjects on many of the art walls. One was particularly clever, showcasing the names of the lakes in a Scrabble style while another encouraged healthy living.

Bicycles, skateboards and scooters shared the pathway with walkers and joggers but there was less usage on the Winni Trail which opened in 2016 and runs nearly two miles to Route 3 by a farm and garden store.

If WOW is relatively flat, Winni is like a sea serpent resembling a roller coaster with its ups and downs and twists. Heck, there’s an 8% grade. The trail runs from the Leslie E. Roberts Beach and Recreation Area along the southern tip of Lake Winnisquam through rich forestland and a growing community of lakefront homes with a handsome wooden fence along the trail at times. A canopied pavilion is a nice spot for a rest or a picnic before venturing up to a well-placed bench courtesy of the Belmont Rotary Club with a wide-ranging look across the water to the mountains. The trail that winds down to Route 3 with a nice look at Mosquito Bridge (the real name is Winnisquam Bridge) which crosses the lake in Sanbornton. The bridge, according to the New Hampshire Department of Transportation, got its nickname in the 1840s when it was a wooden bridge with a hump in it that resembled a mosquito’s back. That bridge was replaced in 1916 and lasted until 2006.

Though the two trails have history, they’re also looking to the future. The regional vision is to one day connect Meredith to Franklin and the Northern Rail Trail. But for the present, there’s miles of riding along calming waters.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #119
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....dis stupid newspaper won't let me read it cause I already used up my five free reads ...... so, someone post the article but without a link!!!!!
Webmaster has recently stated that it is NOT OK to post full articles.

You can find it for FREE at any local library, you just have to read it from the print ad that they offer for FREE..... attached to a stick.

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 20 seconds.

It was an edit....