Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
mishman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 121
Thanks: 29
Thanked 61 Times in 23 Posts
Default How hungry are new car dealers?

Been wanting to find a low mileage semi luxury small SUV (think Lexus 350, or Audi Q-5, Acura RDX type) but am in no particular rush. I have been watching on line prices for this type of vehicle and they have not fluctuated much in last few months. Has anyone been into a dealer and found them hungry to negotiate for a sale or are they sitting firm?
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 579
Thanks: 100
Thanked 196 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Skip Kings in Gilford is good start. They are big Audi fans and service as well


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
magicrobotmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 140
Thanks: 21
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Jus bought a certified pre owned tacoma from irwins. Inventory is low, and they were bus, several other people looking at the same truck. I wasn’t able to move the price, but knocked down the APR quite a bit.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,785
Thanks: 298
Thanked 1,246 Times in 481 Posts
Default

Skip King usually has very clean cars. He concentrates on German Cars. I bought a Mercedes from him a few years ago and paid all the money. I am not sure that would be the first place I would go to get a "deal".

Last week I bought a 2019 Tahoe at what I think is $4,000 to $5,000 below KBB. After searching on Cars.com, Autrader, CarGurus, Etc. I located it in Indiana. It cost $700 to have it delivered to Gilford.

So far so good, I've only had it for a week but it seems fine. Banks Chevrolet wanted $5,000 more than I paid for a nearly identical vehicle.

There are good deals out there if you take the time to look.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-19-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm also in the market for a new Suv. We have a 2015 Mazda CX5 and have had very good luck with it so I think we may just buy another new one. We bought the last one with 0% financing and they are offering that again.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 34
Thanked 440 Times in 283 Posts
Default

A wise non gender specific human once said:

"Make a lot of offers. You never know how desperate the other side is."
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-10-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident
Senior Member
 
Paugus Bay Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gilmanton, NH
Posts: 708
Thanks: 94
Thanked 77 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Just bought a new truck last week. Deals were too good to pass up. Great discount off invoice plus a generous trade in. Dealer was actually quite busy.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
Just bought a new truck last week. Deals were too good to pass up. Great discount off invoice plus a generous trade in. Dealer was actually quite busy.
Care to share what you bought and where?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Paugus Bay Resident
Senior Member
 
Paugus Bay Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gilmanton, NH
Posts: 708
Thanks: 94
Thanked 77 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Care to share what you bought and where?
Sure, F150 at Irwin's
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Drove by the Manchester airport last night to drop of my car at the repair shop. There were a TON of brand new cars just sitting there packed in, Tulley BMW also was loaded with cars, more than I've ever seen them have (a little less in the last week or so).
I'm actually thinking about turning my '17 Edge in for a smaller SUV, found a leftover Cross Trek for about $5K below invoice plus a couple other incentives. If I can get a decent trade-in then I might have a new car next week.
Never hurts to give them an offer!
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 591
Thanks: 16
Thanked 174 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
found a leftover Cross Trek for about $5K below invoice plus a couple other incentives. !
My neighbor just purchased a Cross Trek. Got the Limited I think. Leather seats anyway. Nice vehicle.

Hard to believe that there are any new leftovers. But have not looked either.

The Cross Trek is Made in Japan. As opposed to other Subaru made in Indiana.
If I am buying a Japanese brand. I would want one made in Japan. Some will scream and holler that all are the same. And yes, there are horror stores about some made in Japan stuff. Takata being one of them.

But overall. If I was in the market for something similar. I'd get made in Japan.

Just a simple opinion. That's all. By the way. My pickup truck is made in USA. And my Japanese car is made in Mexico. But both purchased used.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
laketrout (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,950
Thanks: 2,505
Thanked 906 Times in 632 Posts
Default Suv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm also in the market for a new Suv. We have a 2015 Mazda CX5 and have had very good luck with it so I think we may just buy another new one. We bought the last one with 0% financing and they are offering that again.
I never bought an SUV as they handle terribly on the road. Maybe I'm spoiled, (MB owner). I did had an SUV back in the '70s a Scout and the '80s a Bronco II but they weren't my daily driver and did a lot of off-roading.

I tried out the CX5 and I was very impressed with how they handle. For the life of me, I can't understand people who drive dead vehicles????
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #13
laketrout
Senior Member
 
laketrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Bay
Posts: 108
Thanks: 112
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
Been wanting to find a low mileage semi luxury small SUV (think Lexus 350, or Audi Q-5, Acura RDX type) but am in no particular rush. I have been watching on line prices for this type of vehicle and they have not fluctuated much in last few months. Has anyone been into a dealer and found them hungry to negotiate for a sale or are they sitting firm?
Hopefully this current virus will disappear. This article was taken from auto news Which is a publication aimed for auto dealers, and predicts a favorable buyers market for Used cars In the coming months and year.
https://www.autonews.com/commentary/...ed-value-storm
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #14
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I never bought an SUV as they handle terribly on the road. Maybe I'm spoiled, (MB owner). I did had an SUV back in the '70s a Scout and the '80s a Bronco II but they weren't my daily driver and did a lot of off-roading.

I tried out the CX5 and I was very impressed with how they handle. For the life of me, I can't understand people who drive dead vehicles????
It's all about use and lifestyle. I've owned Audis, Wranglers, compact and full-size trucks, a Mustang convertible, etc. Each was awesome at the time. My current 4Runner is the perfect "now" vehicle—bulletproof, spacious, comfortable, rugged, flexible, good for towing... It's the right vehicle for where I'm at in life, just like the Wrangler and Mustang and Audi were right...at the time.

Now...with unlimited funds and a third or fourth garage stall...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #15
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,149
Thanks: 640
Thanked 749 Times in 464 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's all about use and lifestyle. I've owned Audis, Wranglers, compact and full-size trucks, a Mustang convertible, etc. Each was awesome at the time. My current 4Runner is the perfect "now" vehicle—bulletproof, spacious, comfortable, rugged, flexible, good for towing... It's the right vehicle for where I'm at in life, just like the Wrangler and Mustang and Audi were right...at the time.

Now...with unlimited funds and a third or fourth garage stall...
I agree. Over the years we have owned a huge variety of vehicles, including a raised roof custom van, motorcycles, seven convertibles (Mustangs, Fiat Spyders, MB, Jag, etc). Each great at the time. Latest SUV was a Lincoln MKX. Top notch. Buy something fun, a year old, for cheap. Don't overthink something that is very temporary.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (05-17-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 34
Thanked 440 Times in 283 Posts
Default

After owning a Cross Trek followed by four Foresters I found myself looking for more towing capacity for a new boat.

I bought an Outback Onyx XT.

It is a rocket but...

It has this stupid ass 11.6" multifunction screen.

Almost all the stuff you would previously push a button or turn a knob to operate requires multiple taps on the stupid ass screen.

To do this you must look at the screen, not at the road.

It's like having the distraction of texting.

I told my wife I'm going to tear that stupid ass screen out and put in a push button radio... and a napkin dispenser.

Until now I have avoided having "technology" in my cars.

I know that soon there will be no avoiding it.

Just because you can computerize everything and control it with a touch screen doesn't mean you should!



FWIW... my airplane has engine controls with different shaped handles and knobs.

I only need to feel them and not look at them.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-18-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #17
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,950
Thanks: 2,505
Thanked 906 Times in 632 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

It has this stupid ass 11.6" multifunction screen.


Until now I have avoided having "technology" in my cars.

I know that soon there will be no avoiding it.


FWIW... my airplane has engine controls with different shaped handles and knobs.

I only need to feel them and not look at them.
I agree here! I try to order the base vehicle with no techno Babbo. You have to order it! Dealers will not stock them!

The last truck I ordered (Dakota) was so simple you had to manually roll the windows up! It even plays cassettes! The grandkids thought it is cool!

I still drive a standard! MB 6 speed! The grandkids won't even try to learn!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
barefootbay (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #18
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

My wife and I took a Ford Escape out for a test drive a few years back. We drove out one side of the dealer's parking lot and then, after a few hundred feet of being unable to figure out how to turn the radio down, pulled back in and dropped it off. Shortest test drive ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #19
Just Sold
Senior Member
 
Just Sold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Suncook, NH, but at The Lake at Heart
Posts: 2,612
Thanks: 1,076
Thanked 431 Times in 208 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Drove by the Manchester airport last night to drop of my car at the repair shop. There were a TON of brand new cars just sitting there packed in, Tulley BMW also was loaded with cars, more than I've ever seen them have (a little less in the last week or so).
I'm actually thinking about turning my '17 Edge in for a smaller SUV, found a leftover Cross Trek for about $5K below invoice plus a couple other incentives. If I can get a decent trade-in then I might have a new car next week.
Never hurts to give them an offer!
If you drove by the airport on Perimeter Rd at Harvey Rd most of those cars you saw are Enterprise Rentals that will be sold to dealers. They have been "deleting" cars from their rental fleet since the Covid-19 pandemic started.
__________________
Just Sold
At the lake the stress of daily life just melts away. Pro Re Nata
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #20
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 436
Thanks: 202
Thanked 106 Times in 81 Posts
Default Reading this thread...

Who say the Lakes Region has changed?

Back in the day, on the ride up to the lake:
-a flat tire wasn't an unusual event (I'm not sure "radials" were even a choice).
-all of us kids knew our roles in roadside emergencies
-@ 55mph, many "pit stops"
-smoking tailpipe- thank God that's all it is (better than it falling off)!
- pa-do-din! what ever the game was , you could punch your sibling in the arm
-seat belts???
-detours??? (in rural N.H.)- (add 1/2 - 1 hour to trip!)
-single tempo wipers- sing a song to that tempo- Frere Who? (how many times?)
-over heat?- Hah!
-windshield- I think we had bigger/more bugs back then!
-finally- the RADIO- who had control?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-18-2020), Top-Water (05-20-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Making a deal on a left over 2019 Mazda CX5 right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #22
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Making a deal on a left over 2019 Mazda CX5 right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Great car, my daughter bought one last year. My wife liked it so much that she bought the same car, only she has the turbo.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #23
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

We traded in a 2015 CX5. We had such good luck with it we decided to buy another and got a great deal. I was pleasantly surprised to find a left over of the model we liked. We got the Grand Touring which is loaded with more features than we even wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #24
gravy boat
Senior Member
 
gravy boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gilford yr round, W. Alton and Bears' Den for summers
Posts: 521
Thanks: 502
Thanked 168 Times in 81 Posts
Default How many cars have you owned?

I thought this would be interesting - how many cars have you owned so far, new and used and for how long have you been driving?

Driving 41 years - first few years I drove my parents' vehicles.

But I have only owned: 6 total (3 used, 3 new)

First owned car was a used Datsun 210 bought in 1984
Second car was a new Nissan 200SX bought in 1987/88
Third was a used Nissan Pathfinder bought in 1999
Fourth a used Buick Riviera bought in 2002
Fifth a new Toyota Avalon bought in 2005 (my youngest still driving and it's at over 340,000 miles)
Sixth - new Toyota Highlander bought in 2017

My oldest daughter - at 28 - has already had 5 and just signed a lease for number 6.

LOL
gravy boat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

I'm 43, have been driving since 16.5, and have had twelve vehicles:

'82 Volkswagen Rabbit
'85 Chevy Chevette
'85 Mazda GLC
'82 Honda Accord
'87 Cutlass Cierra
'98 Audi A4
'02 Nissan Frontier
'09 F-150
'10 Wrangler
'12 Ford Escape
'13 Mustang Convertible
'18 Toyota 4Runner

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #26
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

I've been driving for 50 years but I'm a car guy so I can't even remember all the cars I've owned. If I had to guess it's in the hundreds. I have 4 cars registered right now.
2019 Mazda CX5
2011 Chevy Silverado
2003 Chevy Tahoe
1967 Chevy Corvette
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #27
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,747
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've been driving for 50 years but I'm a car guy so I can't even remember all the cars I've owned. If I had to guess it's in the hundreds. I have 4 cars registered right now.
2019 Mazda CX5
2011 Chevy Silverado
2003 Chevy Tahoe
1967 Chevy Corvette
Pics of the Corvette please! 😀

I just sold my 2017 Z06 / Z7. It was great car, I just wasn’t using it enough... Always wanted to get a pic of it next to a 67 to show 50 years of progress...never got the chance...

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #28
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,785
Thanks: 298
Thanked 1,246 Times in 481 Posts
Default

I am old so there have been many vehicles!

62 Buick Skylark
68 Chevelle Malibu (Class Winner 1972 NE Dragway!)
72 Chevelle Malibu (400CI/300HP)
66 Chrysler New Yorker
72 Oldsmobile Cutlass
77 Corvette Convertible
1947 American LaFrance 100 Ft Aerial Ladder Fire Truck (with 4 partners)
80 Buick Regal
84 Oldsmobile Cutlass
5 Ford Crown Victoria Company Cars (84 – 99)
84 Rolls Royce (with a partner)
2007 Tahoe
2012 Bentley GTC
2011 BMW 328I Convertible
2011 Mercedes E550 Convertible
2014 Mercedes E550 Convertible
2017 Mercedes GLE 350 4Matic
2019 Tahoe

On order: 2020 C8 HTC! (Hope to see it by August!)
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #29
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Pics of the Corvette please! 😀

I just sold my 2017 Z06 / Z7. It was great car, I just wasn’t using it enough... Always wanted to get a pic of it next to a 67 to show 50 years of progress...never got the chance...

Dan
I built the Corvette from a basket case. It's a labor of love, because I have way more money into it than I could sell it for. It's cheaper to buy one all done. They bring 50K on up now.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #30
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I built the Corvette from a basket case. It's a labor of love, because I have way more money into it than I could sell it for. It's cheaper to buy one all done. They bring 50K on up now.
Name:  1589974173109.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  157.4 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-20-2020), Major (05-20-2020), MAXUM (05-21-2020), VitaBene (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #31
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I built the Corvette from a basket case. It's a labor of love, because I have way more money into it than I could sell it for. It's cheaper to buy one all done. They bring 50K on up now.
Small block or BB? I had a 64 way back. Worked in a shop as a kid and bought a 327/300 car roadster with rear clip blown off. Sold to buy a work truck for first business. Still on the fence about that decision! Still have an old car but I am into old motorsickles.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #32
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Small block or BB? I had a 64 way back. Worked in a shop as a kid and bought a 327/300 car roadster with rear clip blown off. Sold to buy a work truck for first business. Still on the fence about that decision! Still have an old car but I am into old motorsickles.
It has a 1996 EFI 350 with a 6sp trans from a Camaro.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #33
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Well done- and you have the BB hood! That is a great package- the LS motor swap and 6 speed is what I would use on anything I do moving forward. I spent a fortune building the 455 Olds motor.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #34
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Well done- and you have the BB hood! That is a great package- the LS motor swap and 6 speed is what I would use on anything I do moving forward. I spent a fortune building the 455 Olds motor.
I just retired March 1st from the auto repair business. I find that after 50 years of working on cars I really don't want to touch one now.
I've been doing a lot of carpentry these past few months that has peaked my creative interests.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #35
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Well done- and you have the BB hood! That is a great package- the LS motor swap and 6 speed is what I would use on anything I do moving forward. I spent a fortune building the 455 Olds motor.
Name:  1589975174018.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  113.2 KBName:  1589975188155.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  113.3 KBI have a buddy that has this home and garage in Moultonborough just befor the Long Island bridge. He has 1967 Corvette that he's had since he was 16 years old and he's older than me. I've had mine for about 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #36
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,747
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Thanks for the pic! Great car!! Love the looks of the 67!

My neighbor in Gilford has a 67 and it is 100% original including paint and in great shape! He only drives it once or twice a year. I missed the opportunity of getting side by side pics with my 2017 Z6 before I sold it...

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #37
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Thanks for the pic! Great car!! Love the looks of the 67!

My neighbor in Gilford has a 67 and it is 100% original including paint and in great shape! He only drives it once or twice a year. I missed the opportunity of getting side by side pics with my 2017 Z6 before I sold it...

Dan
Name:  1589978082989.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  67.3 KBI found this one for a buddy of mine last year. He bought it for his father as a retirement gift. It's a real 67 big block.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-25-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #38
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,747
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Attachment 16004I found this one for a buddy of mine last year. He bought it for his father as a retirement gift. It's a real 67 big block.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That is gorgeous!!
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #39
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
That is gorgeous!!
As a matter of fact, he and his wife are coming over for an early dinner today and I'm sure he'll be bringing the Corvette.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #40
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Well done- and you have the BB hood! That is a great package- the LS motor swap and 6 speed is what I would use on anything I do moving forward. I spent a fortune building the 455 Olds motor.
I haven't brought it to NH yet. I have a 1/2 mile dirt road to my property and even though the road is well taken care of, black doesn't take too well to dirt roads.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #41
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default New truck mileage?

Cool Biggd! Your buddy's roadster is a beaut too.

I am about to find out how the new market for a pickup is- just wondering if I should hold off a bit until the stimulus money dries up. I drove to SC 3 weeks ago for work, but while I was here a co-worker said he wanted to buy my 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. So I will fly home tomorrow instead. I have my old 99 F250 to drive in the meantime.

So, you folks with new 1/2 ton trucks, what do you have and what is your real mileage? When Ram flashed my truck because they cheated the emissions testing, I dropped 3MPG on the highway. I will likely go with gas.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #42
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Cool Biggd! Your buddy's roadster is a beaut too.

I am about to find out how the new market for a pickup is- just wondering if I should hold off a bit until the stimulus money dries up. I drove to SC 3 weeks ago for work, but while I was here a co-worker said he wanted to buy my 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. So I will fly home tomorrow instead. I have my old 99 F250 to drive in the meantime.

So, you folks with new 1/2 ton trucks, what do you have and what is your real mileage? When Ram flashed my truck because they cheated the emissions testing, I dropped 3MPG on the highway. I will likely go with gas.
I'm not a big Dodge fan. I prefer Chevy or GMC.
The guy who's coming over with the Vette also has a 2018 loaded Silverado with a 5.3 liter engine and he tells me he gets between 19 and 21 MPG.
My 2011 Silverado only gets around 15 MPG.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #43
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,747
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
So, you folks with new 1/2 ton trucks, what do you have and what is your real mileage? When Ram flashed my truck because they cheated the emissions testing, I dropped 3MPG on the highway. I will likely go with gas.
Vita;

I have purchased over 100 vans and trucks for my business over the years to include Ford, Dodge, Chevy / GMC, diesel and gas and the ones that have always lasted the longest with least amount of repairs by far have been our Chevy vans and pickups with the 5.3L V-8. We average 275,000 hard miles out of them before we get rid of them.

My personal vehicles are a 2014 Chevy 1500 High Country Pickup with a 5.3 L and a 2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier also with a 5.3 L. I get low to mid 20's on the highway and around 18 in the city. The pickup gets slightly better mileage. They both suck towing anything mileage wise and I don't bother to check it any more! I do have a heavy foot also!

FWIW;

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #44
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Getchoo a Chevy van.
https://youtu.be/RFnkCIwGwiA

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #45
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Vita;

I have purchased over 100 vans and trucks for my business over the years to include Ford, Dodge, Chevy / GMC, diesel and gas and the ones that have always lasted the longest with least amount of repairs by far have been our Chevy vans and pickups with the 5.3L V-8. We average 275,000 hard miles out of them before we get rid of them.

My personal vehicles are a 2014 Chevy 1500 High Country Pickup with a 5.3 L and a 2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier also with a 5.3 L. I get low to mid 20's on the highway and around 18 in the city. The pickup gets slightly better mileage. They both suck towing anything mileage wise and I don't bother to check it any more! I do have a heavy foot also!

FWIW;

Dan
Thanks Dan, As noted earlier- I do like Chevy LS motors. I would be more than happy with that mileage!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #46
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,276
Thanks: 1,385
Thanked 1,464 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm not a big Dodge fan. I prefer Chevy or GMC.
The guy who's coming over with the Vette also has a 2018 loaded Silverado with a 5.3 liter engine and he tells me he gets between 19 and 21 MPG.
My 2011 Silverado only gets around 15 MPG.
I have had decent luck with my Ram and like it for its "carness" I would not keep one to drive the wheels off like I will do with the next one.

I would be great with that mileage!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #47
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,392
Thanks: 231
Thanked 1,634 Times in 665 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Attachment 16004I found this one for a buddy of mine last year. He bought it for his father as a retirement gift. It's a real 67 big block.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That is nothing short of pure corvette porn right there! WOW love that color combo, knock off wheels, red line tires, side pipes.... un huh.

All it needs is an L88 under the hood
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #48
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
That is nothing short of pure corvette porn right there! WOW love that color combo, knock off wheels, red line tires, side pipes.... un huh.

All it needs is an L88 under the hood
It's just a plain old 427/390hp. But it is much more steetable than an L88.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #49
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's just a plain old 427/390hp. But it is much more steetable than an L88.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Name:  1590088456624.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  130.7 KBThis is them pulling in my driveway yesterday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (05-25-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #50
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 503
Thanks: 189
Thanked 183 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
If you drove by the airport on Perimeter Rd at Harvey Rd most of those cars you saw are Enterprise Rentals that will be sold to dealers. They have been "deleting" cars from their rental fleet since the Covid-19 pandemic started.
I normally rent cars numerous times per year. Lately I have been getting blasted with emails from the rental companies suggesting to rent a car for months at a time. Funny thing is with unlimited miles, no cost of maintenance or tires the amount is not much different from buying or leasing and they say you can swap cars any time. "Car is dirty, give me a new one"
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #51
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,950
Thanks: 2,505
Thanked 906 Times in 632 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I normally rent cars numerous times per year. Lately I have been getting blasted with emails from the rental companies suggesting to rent a car for months at a time. Funny thing is with unlimited miles, no cost of maintenance or tires the amount is not much different from buying or leasing and they say you can swap cars any time. "Car is dirty, give me a new one"
Read an article somewhere about how seniors rent cars and do just that! Swap cars when they get dirty and still maintain a monthly rent contract!

The same article also mentioned taking two weeks of Caribean cruises during the off-season or when the boat has vacancy before sailing for less money than renting at a cockroach motel!

I had a dream, leasing Dodge Challengers and taking Royal Caribean cruises on my SS income!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #52
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Picking up a '19 CrossTrek leftover. Fully loaded except for nav and the upgraded sound. Got it for the basically this years base model that I would have gotten. Got a good deal on my trade in too. did it all online, then they brought the car to me for a test drive yesterday. Going to do last minute signature at 5pm today. One person in the showroom at a time so they only had one slot for me to pick the car up today.
Best part, they said it will be less than an hour there, and in total I think that I spent 30 min with the test drive and negotiations and everything. The FASTEST I've ever done getting a car. Fingers crossed that all they need is a signature this afternoon.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #53
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Picking up a '19 CrossTrek leftover. Fully loaded except for nav and the upgraded sound. Got it for the basically this years base model that I would have gotten. Got a good deal on my trade in too. did it all online, then they brought the car to me for a test drive yesterday. Going to do last minute signature at 5pm today. One person in the showroom at a time so they only had one slot for me to pick the car up today.
Best part, they said it will be less than an hour there, and in total I think that I spent 30 min with the test drive and negotiations and everything. The FASTEST I've ever done getting a car. Fingers crossed that all they need is a signature this afternoon.
I didn't do my purchase on line. I made an appointment at the dealer and we spent 4 hours there but got a great deal on the left over 2019 Mazda so I didn't mind. The sales person was great but when I got to the finance guy he was a little pushy trying to sell me an extended warrantee and a bunch of other BS that I didn't want. You just got to remember to say NO to all that extra BS.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #54
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I didn't do my purchase on line. I made an appointment at the dealer and we spent 4 hours there but got a great deal on the left over 2019 Mazda so I didn't mind. The sales person was great but when I got to the finance guy he was a little pushy trying to sell me an extended warrantee and a bunch of other BS that I didn't want. You just got to remember to say NO to all that extra BS.
Had an appointment at 5pm to sign. They had all my info for the financing. The guy did his pitch for the extended warranty, and as usual I declined. No issues. As I was signing, the sales guy switched my plates, and I was in/out in about 50 min total. Got an extra surprise, car has remote start through an app, not that I'll ever use it, but my wife will!!!
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #55
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 591
Thanks: 16
Thanked 174 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Got an extra surprise, car has remote start through an app, not that I'll ever use it, but my wife will!!!
Not sure if that is an extra bonus. Might have come standard with car.

Some factory installed remote start are in the FOB (the remote). While others use your smart phone with an app.

A very desirable feature for those who leave car parked in driveway in Winter up North.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #56
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,026
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,781
Thanked 1,614 Times in 891 Posts
Default Good in summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Not sure if that is an extra bonus. Might have come standard with car.

Some factory installed remote start are in the FOB (the remote). While others use your smart phone with an app.

A very desirable feature for those who leave car parked in driveway in Winter up North.
Before leaving the car to play golf on a hot day, set the a/c for max air and max fan. When finushed and in range, open the trunk and start the car. Take your time changing out of your golf shoes, putting clubs away, and saying so long to your playing partners, then open the car and you are halfway to a nice cool car.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #57
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Not sure if that is an extra bonus. Might have come standard with car.

Some factory installed remote start are in the FOB (the remote). While others use your smart phone with an app.

A very desirable feature for those who leave car parked in driveway in Winter up North.
It was more a surprise, I didn't know that it had.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #58
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 591
Thanks: 16
Thanked 174 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
It was more a surprise, I didn't know that it had.
Me. If ever I did seek a new vehicle. It would have factory installed remote start. One feature that is mandatory for me.

Unless getting a basic budget low priced economy car.

Factory installed remote start.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #59
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

We didn't get the factory car starter in our new Mazda because we had it in the one we traded in and we didn't like it. We are going to have an aftermarket unit installed before winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #60
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 1,334
Thanked 657 Times in 387 Posts
Default

On “the news” yesterday, there was a bit about an influx of rental cars in the country that are usually sold on a regular basis. Now the rental car sales lots are overflowing and they say the prices of the used vehicles should be considerably lower when they begin to be sold on a more regular basis.
Might be a good time to check the rental companies for bargains?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #61
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Are factory remote starters 2-way yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #62
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 1,334
Thanked 657 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Are factory remote starters 2-way yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
What do you mean by “2 way”?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #63
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
What do you mean by “2 way”?
Meaning the starter unit in the vehicle responds to the remote control so the user knows the vehicle is started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #64
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 1,334
Thanked 657 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Meaning the starter unit in the vehicle responds to the remote control so the user knows the vehicle is started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Ahh! I see what you mean...my remote flashes before startup but I have to be in sight of my truck’s flashing light sequence to be sure it started. Kind of a pain but we work around it. AC and heat are a must for the dog who is always in the vehicle.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #65
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Ahh! I see what you mean...my remote flashes before startup but I have to be in sight of my truck’s flashing light sequence to be sure it started. Kind of a pain but we work around it. AC and heat are a must for the dog who is always in the vehicle.
That's the beauty of a 2-way starter, no need to see it. I used to have a sick 2-way that would start 1/4 mile away...through the walls of my school. I think nowadays most higher-end units have moved to GPS/cell start-up or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #66
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 1,334
Thanked 657 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's the beauty of a 2-way starter, no need to see it. I used to have a sick 2-way that would start 1/4 mile away...through the walls of my school. I think nowadays most higher-end units have moved to GPS/cell start-up or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yeah..I recall years ago, my brother had one of those with the LCD display on the fob...if I remember right, he had nothing but problems with it...sometimes simpler is better.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #67
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's the beauty of a 2-way starter, no need to see it. I used to have a sick 2-way that would start 1/4 mile away...through the walls of my school. I think nowadays most higher-end units have moved to GPS/cell start-up or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I had the 2way starter fob on the 2015 Mazda that I traded in and hated it. It was too big and too complicated. I prefer the smaller simpler aftermarket fobs.
When I told the sales rep why I didn't want it in the new one he told me he's heard that complaint quite a few times.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #68
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I had the 2way starter fob on the 2015 Mazda that I traded in and hated it. It was too big and too complicated. I prefer the smaller simpler aftermarket fobs.
When I told the sales rep why I didn't want it in the new one he told me he's heard that complaint quite a few times.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
You got the wrong style. This is half the size of my wife's Jeep fob and just about the same size as my Toyota key with the controls on it (but no remote start).Name:  bb6c70f1-c865-438c-ba06-9da9f5de3d5c_1.568fbff063e66e7996d19d01cbb08697.jpeg
Views: 282
Size:  36.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #69
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 34
Thanked 440 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Since we have migrated from new car dealer hunger to remote start equipment I shall share a story:

I got my daughter a remote start kit for Christmas and also committed to installing it. After several frustrating hours of electrical wizardry gone wrong, I was at an impasse.

I called the help line and got a nice lady in Arizona on the phone. She handed me off to her husband with whom she co-owns the company. After he finished helping me straighten out the spaghetti, he asked me where I was located. When I told him the state he said "Really? What town?" "Really? My wife is from there!"

It turned out that she was not only from my town but also graduated high school with me.

I remembered her and she remembered me.

What are the chances of that?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-02-2020), Biggd (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #70
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You got the wrong style. This is half the size of my wife's Jeep fob and just about the same size as my Toyota key with the controls on it (but no remote start).Attachment 16078

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
No, the one I had was a factory Mazda unit with the LED screen on it. We hated it!
I'm going to get an after market unit for my new Mazda.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #71
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,295
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
No, the one I had was a factory Mazda unit with the LED screen on it. We hated it!
I'm going to get an after market unit for my new Mazda.
Good luck—let us know what you end up choosing, I'd be interested to know a bit about today's tech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #72
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 653 Times in 413 Posts
Default

I just read an article that said because of the shut down dealers are running low on new car are supply now. I'm glad I bought when I did.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.26343 seconds