Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up Big storm possible

Well what looked like a miss a couple of days ago now looks like it may drop a foot or more snow on our area starting Saturday night and during the day on Sunday.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Well what looked like a miss a couple of days ago now looks like it may drop a foot or more snow on our area starting Saturday night and during the day on Sunday.
Still plenty of time for things to change but once again there is amazing agreement among the two most favored models that forecasters use....

Three weekends in a row of work....swell. Today will be my 17th straight day of work and it appears that, at least for now, there is no end in sight....
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
nightrider

Default Rain?

I drove to Mass from Wolfeboro last night in a downpour. Did it rain around the lake last night. Any idea if the snow on the lake held up for riding. Riding on the lake was awesome Monday and yesterday. Sunday not so much as the wind blew the fresh snow all day long and visibility was minimal.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
SAB1

Hopefully the storm Saturday nite pans out and we get slammed up there at the lake. Also a chance for more Tuesday they said this AM. I am hoping for it. Maybe run up Sat. nite and sled Sunday
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
bilproject

Default What Happened to the Discussion of a Storm

As usual the tread is off topic. So you weather experts, what's going to happen this weekend? Planning on coming up to burn some brush on Bear Saturday. Right now the national forcast shows winds of less than 10mph Snow showers Sat some snow Sunday. Don't want to drive 6 hours if I can not accomplish the mission. I know you guys get it right more often than the national channels or sites.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bilproject For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
As usual the tread is off topic. So you weather experts, what's going to happen this weekend? Planning on coming up to burn some brush on Bear Saturday. Right now the national forcast shows winds of less than 10mph Snow showers Sat some snow Sunday. Don't want to drive 6 hours if I can not accomplish the mission. I know you guys get it right more often than the national channels or sites.
The storm is still coming and right now they are saying between 4:00-7:00 Pm lastly through to around Noon Sunday. We are in the 8-12+ for snow totals. As far as not watching the local forecast you are you can get it off a local website

http://www.wmur.com/weather/radar

http://www1.whdh.com/weather/

http://weather.boston.cbslocal.com/U...ston/KBOS.html

Most of these websites you can get a webcast of the weather. Good Luck!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 'Drama' forecast

WOW! I can't believe folks go for the drama of the never ending changes of predictions from the southern TV stations. I bet they do this to get advertisers attention!

I get my forecast from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gyx/. This is as accurate as you can get.

For more precise info, go to: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/ The students do a good job. It remeinds me of the Belknap College weather center with Bill Hovey. Boy, am I dating myself!

And then my old standby which the feds ruled that we can no longer watch this station is WMTW out of Portland: http://www.wmtw.com/weather

Of course we do have our shining star Black Cat Weather!

Last edited by BroadHopper; 02-21-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

It's early to be making predictions about snowfall amounts, but as a general rule any storm that drafts moisture from the Gulf of Mexico has the potential to drop a lot of precipitation on wherever it hits.

The storm formed over the southwestern desert when a narrow-focused blast of cold air from Canada to SoCal set off a spin, a whirlpool in the air.

Whenever air or water forms a whirlpool it starts to draft from around itself. That means it reaches out and pulls air in from points afar.

If it has access to both a moisture source and a cold air source it throws the moisture into the cold air which causes condensation (no different from what happens on your bathroom mirror during a hot shower) and when the condensation is too much for the air to hold, the excess falls out. The colder air is, the less moisture it can hold.

There is plenty of similarity between the whirlpools your canoe paddle makes in flat water, and storms in the atmosphere. Instead of your paddle passing through the water, we're dealing with a south-reaching bulge of polar air moving through the lighter-weight air to its south. A whirlpool will form just as it does when you paddle the flatwater of the lake.

This whirlpool got started spinning over the desert southwest and will drift towards the Great Lakes where it will spin itself out and fill in.

Spinning whirls in the air can spin off "children" of themselves - or even jump from one location to the other. Play with a canoe paddle in flat water often enough and you'll see such behavior eventually. It's pretty cool. Air and water behave very much the same -- the only difference being we can't see air so we have to draw weathermaps of it.

When this storm gets over the Great Lakes it is expected to spin off a child of itself, or just jump to the coast and reform (both predictions are out there.) Regardless of your opinion on The Weather Channel's naming of winter storms, it's kind of spooky they named this storm "Q" because the Star Trek character of that name was known for similar behavior. There is no way they could have known when they came up with the list of names.

What happens after the transfer of the storm to the northeast coast is subject to speculation until it actually starts to happen. the only thing that is known until then is the fact that it's drafting lots of Gulf moisture into itself today, so it will have no problem producing precip of one type or another. We just have to watch for how much cold air is available, and where.

This will be a typical northeastern winter storm, with a rain/snow line somewhere near the coast, and an exact track that's capable of changing the amounts a lot just by shifting a little.

As a general rule, most winter storms that draft from the Gulf's moisture before heading our way are capable of producing a foot of snow. The only thing we have to figure out (each time) is "Will it do what it's capable of?" That means tracking the supply of cold air, figuring out the ratio of moisture to cold air, and taking a best-guess about the exact track.

One thing to watch for, with this storm, is the fact that temps will be warmer than they were a couple weekends ago. That means the snow will have more water content and will therefore be more slippery as well as more difficult to shovel or plow. It may also lead to more tree damage than we get with the light fluffy stuff that falls at colder temps.

There's a bunch of information on the BlackCatNH WeatherCenter site at www.blackcatnh.com/weather. I'm still working on finishing it so you may find a few things changing around a bit as I play with it behind the scenes, but the meat if it is there for your storm-tracking.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (02-22-2013), Blue Thunder (02-21-2013), BroadHopper (02-21-2013), CGI3 (02-21-2013), HellRaZoR004 (02-21-2013), hilltopper (02-22-2013), Merrymeeting (02-21-2013), secondcurve (02-21-2013), trfour (02-21-2013), Winnisquamguy (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
RLW

Smile

Did I misread the topic of this thread. I thought it said Big Storm Possible not price of this and that for both residents and non residents, this state or another.
Would it be possible to get back on subject as we really do have the possiblity of a big storm this weekend???
ApS (02-22-2013), Chaselady (02-21-2013), gillygirl (02-22-2013)