Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Getting the boat ready for spring...

Premature? Yup. But I need something to look forward to!

I've finally got a garage large enough to store my boat on its trailer. That means I won't be using the dealer to put it in the water.

For those of you who are the most OCD, what should I be doing to insure the longevity of my boat?

Thanks!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post

I've finally got a garage large enough to store my boat on its trailer. That means I won't be using the dealer to put it in the water.

For those of you who are the most OCD, what should I be doing to insure the longevity of my boat?

Thanks!
Ironically, the two worst things for a boat (besides disasters) are sun and water. Keep it in the shade and dry and it will last a really long time. My smaller boat is stored under a roof and on a trailer. Despite being 19 years old, it is routinely mistaken for new. A far as the engine goes, follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and it will likely last 2500 hours or more, unless it's a diesel, then it can go 10,000+ hours. If you have a stern drive, I would have the prop shaft seals replaced at 900 hours unless they have failed already.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
SAB1

Totally agree with the above. The beats on the glass. Wax or polish is a must and if u leave it in all summer pull it every so often for a good cleaning. I have a dock that is broadside to the northwest wind so I rarely leave mine in when I’m not there. It goes right back in the garage so my 1997 looks new. Change your water pump impeller at least every other year.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

As far as the interior goes make sure you air out and store the carpet runners if you have them and also make sure when storing for the winter the is air flow otherwise the vinyl will dry and crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
JADAQ

Take that battery out and put it on a trickle charger!!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Trailer?

Trailers are treated like Harry Potter and kept under the stairs. How about touching up scratches, waxing, tire pressure, bearing grease, lube the rollers, winch, etc. Have you added gear to the boat but not re-balanced the trailer? Are the rollers and bunks still in the right place, or have they moved from road-jarring?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Dave R (02-01-2019), Electric man (02-01-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
NCT

Default Antimicrobial Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
As far as the interior goes make sure you air out and store the carpet runners if you have them and also make sure when storing for the winter the is air flow otherwise the vinyl will dry and crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
If your looking for a good way to keep mold and mildew from growing on your boats interior, we treat hundreds of boats with our patented antimicrobial! Typically 1 treatment in the spring before you put it in the water and 1 treatment in the fall before storage is all it takes to keep your interior looking brand new! nctnh.com 603-630-5377
NCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
If your looking for a good way to keep mold and mildew from growing on your boats interior, we treat hundreds of boats with our patented antimicrobial! Typically 1 treatment in the spring before you put it in the water and 1 treatment in the fall before storage is all it takes to keep your interior looking brand new! nctnh.com 603-630-5377
Typical fear mongering advertising. Buy my product, or you will die!!! Really??? Two points: 1) we are ALL going to be dead in 12 years anyways from climate change... (NOT), and 2) who the hell believes anything that is said on the "king of fake news" cnn??? Pathetic. It may be a great product and does what it's supposed to, but I don't think we are all going to die if we don't use it... Just my humble opinion. When I store my boat in the fall, (I shrinkwrap and store outside on a trailer) for the winter, I change the engine oil and the outdrive gear oil, then I put all the cushions up on their edges, leaning on something, to help, (and keep) everything dried out. I also put a scented "damprid" moisture absorbent "pail" on the floor in my cuddy cabin, and one in the cockpit to absorb moisture, and then I put some scented bounce dryer sheets strategically placed throughout the boat to help repel rodents. After the motor is winterized, (I/O) and cooled off, I spray down the entire engine compartment with wd40 making sure everything (except the belts), gets completely coated. I do the same thing with my outboard, spray wd40 all over the entire motor underneath the engine cover. It preserves rubber and plastic, prevents rust, and also helps to repel rodents. When you get to this time of year, hopefully, all you have to do is start it up, (wd40 burns off anything that heats up, so expect a little "smoking" till it's burned off), and then clean it up, and go...!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 04-03-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Typical fear mongering advertising. Buy my product, or you will die!!! Really??? Two points: 1) we are ALL going to be dead in 12 years anyways from climate change... (NOT), and 2) who the hell believes anything that is said on the "king of fake news" cnn??? Pathetic. It may be a great product and does what it's supposed to, but I don't think we are all going to die if we don't use it... Just my humble opinion. When I store my boat in the fall, (I shrinkwrap and store outside on a trailer) for the winter, I change the engine oil and the outdrive gear oil, then I put all the cushions up on their edges, leaning on something, to help, (and keep) everything dried out. I also put a scented "damprid" moisture absorbent "pail" on the floor in my cuddy cabin, and one in the cockpit to absorb moisture, and then I put some scented bounce dryer sheets strategically placed throughout the boat to help repel rodents. After the motor is winterized, (I/O) and cooled off, I spray down the entire engine compartment with wd40 making sure everything (except the belts), gets completely coated. I do the same thing with my outboard, spray wd40 all over the entire motor underneath the engine cover. It preserves rubber and plastic, prevents rust, and also helps to repel rodents. When you get to this time of year, hopefully, all you have to do is start it up, (wd40 burns off anything that heats up, so expect a little "smoking" till it's burned off), and then clean it up, and go...!!
What. Are. You. Talking. About? Fear mongering? Death? CNN?!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:06 AM   #10
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What. Are. You. Talking. About? Fear mongering? Death? CNN?!

Did you watch the video about how "superbugs" are the "next" thing to come along and kill us all, unless we start using the product it was advertising?? If it's not "climate change", (according to some, we only have 12yrs to fix climate change, or the earth will stop existing as we know it. How long have "they" been saying that??), then it will be "super bugs", or something else...!! I'm sick and tired of the "fear mongering" that the end of civilization as we know it is coming to an end, UNLESS, you use this product, or, UNLESS, you start paying for this, or paying for that... It's totally irresponsible, IMHO. Watch the video at nctnh.com from a previous post. Like climate change, just a bunch of BS trying to "scare" people into paying for something, unnecessarily...
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Did you watch the video about how "superbugs" are the "next" thing to come along and kill us all, unless we start using the product it was advertising?? If it's not "climate change", (according to some, we only have 12yrs to fix climate change, or the earth will stop existing as we know it. How long have "they" been saying that??), then it will be "super bugs", or something else...!! I'm sick and tired of the "fear mongering" that the end of civilization as we know it is coming to an end, UNLESS, you use this product, or, UNLESS, you start paying for this, or paying for that... It's totally irresponsible, IMHO. Watch the video at nctnh.com from a previous post. Like climate change, just a bunch of BS trying to "scare" people into paying for something, unnecessarily...
The post you referred to was about a clean boat interior. You're worst than FLL right now. (Ooohh...shots fired!)

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
The post you referred to was about a clean boat interior. You're worst than FLL right now. (Ooohh...shots fired!)

Did you see the video ( on nctnh.com) that was used in the ad for the interior boat cleaner? And I think you meant "worse", not "worst" in that context. And you're a teacher...??
Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Did you see the video ( on nctnh.com) that was used in the ad for the interior boat cleaner? And I think you meant "worse", not "worst" in that context. And you're a teacher...??
No, because I'm not looking for conspiracies.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #14
Cal Coon

Quote:
No, because I'm not looking for conspiracies.

Then. Why. Do. You. Bother. To. Ask. Me. What. I'm. Talking. About.?? Is this how you "challenge" your students to inspire a good debate? Just tell them to stick their heads in the sand, and hope the problem goes away, or encourage them to hide in a "coloring book" to escape their anxiety from real world issues? No wonder we have two generations of snowflakes out there... Any more arrows in that quiver???

Last edited by Cal Coon; 04-04-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Then. Why. Do. You. Bother. To. Ask. Me. What. I'm. Talking. About.?? Is this how you "challenge" your students to inspire a good debate? Just tell them to stick their heads in the sand, and hope the problem goes away, or encourage them to hide in a "coloring book" to escape their anxiety from real world issues? No wonder we have two generations of snowflakes out there... Any more arrows in that quiver???
So you've moved from calling fear mongering on a post about a product that might keep the OP's boat in tip-top shape (as was asked) to suggesting I'm a bad teacher raising snowflakes. The standard Cal Coon MO: creating straw men since 4/29/18.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:

Thanks!
I've been using Mean Green to clean and Aerospace 303 to "protect" since we took delivery of our new 'toon in May, 2016 and the seating looks literally brand new. After only a couple seasons with our former 'toon, we had sunscreen and food stains, and it was much harder to keep clean on a regular basis.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
INAPPROPRIATE, to me at least.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
INAPPROPRIATE, to me at least.
We're all entitled to our opinions. At least you have the guts to state one. What's inappropriate to me is getting criticized for an opinion I had on something that the "criticizer" refuses to even look at!!! How can you criticize someone's opinion on a subject you have no knowledge of, and refuse to even educate yourself on!! How ridiculous is that!!? I don't see anyone "defending" that ridiculous video mentioned in a previous post, yet...
Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
We're all entitled to our opinions. At least you have the guts to state one. What's inappropriate to me is getting criticized for an opinion I had on something that the "criticizer" refuses to even look at!!! How can you criticize someone's opinion on a subject you have no knowledge of, and refuse to even educate yourself on!! How ridiculous is that!!? I don't see anyone "defending" the ridiculous video mentioned in a previous post, yet...
Have you seen a Flex Glue commercial?

I mean really talk about "fake news".
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #20
Cal Coon

Quote:
So you've moved from calling fear mongering on a post about a product that might keep the OP's boat in tip-top shape (as was asked) to suggesting I'm a bad teacher raising snowflakes. The standard Cal Coon MO: creating straw men since 4/29/18.

You have thrown the straw man fallacy at me before. It's getting old, and doesn't even apply here.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #21
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Have you seen a Flex Glue commercial?

I mean really talk about "fake news".
You mean that tape doesn't really stick under water... NO..., say it isn't so...
Old 04-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
We're all entitled to our opinions. At least you have the guts to state one. What's inappropriate to me is getting criticized for an opinion I had on something that the "criticizer" refuses to even look at!!! How can you criticize someone's opinion on a subject you have no knowledge of, and refuse to even educate yourself on!! How ridiculous is that!!? I don't see anyone "defending" that ridiculous video mentioned in a previous post, yet...
I didn't have to watch it because it wasn't what was referred to--the post was about the product offered and the video is one part of the company's linked page. You just look for problems to politicize--you've been doing it since you joined last year when I called you out for being both ridiculous and unoriginal. Still don't know which is worse, but denial's not a river or some other cliche, right?

And you're right--you've added ad hominem to your repertoire. Yay for you!

Old 04-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #23
Cal Coon

Quote:
I didn't have to watch it because it wasn't what was referred to--the post was about the product offered and the video is one part of the company's linked page. You just look for problems to politicize--you've been doing it since you joined last year when I called you out for being both ridiculous and unoriginal. Still don't know which is worse, but denial's not a river or some other cliche, right?

And you're right--you've added ad hominem to your repertoire. Yay for you!

I don't "look" for things to politicize, I'm just happy to opine on things I disagree with when I come across them. I think that's part of the first amendment if I'm not mistaken,(something about freedom of speech), and I don't comply with this crybaby, sissified, entitlement, pc society we live in these days. If that makes me "ridiculous" and "unoriginal" in your world, then so be it. That's very "tolerant" of you. Speaking of politics though, isn't it sad that the POTUS just recently had to sign an executive order to "allow" free speech back on the college campuses, in AMERICA??? What's going on there??? Is that how "you people" (teacher's, professor's, etc...) "celebrate diversity"?? Completely shut down one side of the conversation? Maybe he needs to sign another executive order for high schools, Jr high schools, and yes, even elementary schools so these kids can start to get educated for the REAL world.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #24
winnipiseogee

Really folks? We live in one of the most amazing places on earth. Can't we just celebrate things like getting boats ready for spring? Does every conversation how to devolve into this now?
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-08-2019), Top-Water (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #25
thinkxingu

Quote:
Really folks? We live in one of the most amazing places on earth. Can't we just celebrate things like getting boats ready for spring? Does every conversation how to devolve into this now?
Agreed, and sorry to be part of that.

As mentioned above, that 303 stuff is pretty impressive, but that's about all I do on my boat. Well, other than picking it up at the marina, enjoying it for 6 months, and returning it back to the marina!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #26
rsmlp

Default DEvolution

Quote:
From what I have seen as of late (past year or so?), YES, most of these posts devolve into political BS.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-06-2019)