Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Firewood?

Will be purchasing some firewood shortly (I know I'm late)....

A person I recently contacted, sells seasoned mixed firewood.
Maple, Oak, Birch and Swamp Maple

What the heck is 'swamp maple'? That's a new one to me, and I've been burning wood for over 20 yrs....

He said it is harder and denser that regular maple.
Is this wood any good to burn in my fireplace wood-stove insert?

Thanks!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Resident 2B

I have burned some swamp maple and I was not impressed.

I found this on eHow:

Density and BTUs

Swamp maple is considered a "soft" maple because its wood has a lower density than "hard" maple, like sugar and black maples. Denser wood produces more heat, measured in British Thermal Units (BTUs). Swamp maple produces about 19 million BTUs per cord, which is rather low compared to other hard woods. The best hardwood produces up to 29 million BTUs per cord while the worst produces only 15 million BTUs.

Positives

Other than its low heat value, swamp maple has a number of characteristics that make it good firewood. It produces only a light amount of smoke and doesn't spark when burning. It also has excellent coaling qualities, which means that it continues burning as embers for a long time. It is also fairly easy to start burning.

Negatives

Besides the low heat value, swamp maple only has one other negative. Typically, softer wood is easier to split. However, this is not true of swamp maple, which is considered moderately difficult to split. Firewood must be split to allow it to dry out and season. Reducing the moisture content raises the amount of heat that the wood produces.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8751686_swa...#ixzz2jqCpIpM9

Good luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
bigdog (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Will be purchasing some firewood shortly (I know I'm late)....

A person I recently contacted, sells seasoned mixed firewood.
Maple, Oak, Birch and Swamp Maple

What the heck is 'swamp maple'? That's a new one to me, and I've been burning wood for over 20 yrs....

He said it is harder and denser that regular maple.
Is this wood any good to burn in my fireplace wood-stove insert?

Thanks!
Swamp Maple is all over the place. I'm sure you have seen it before you just didn't realize it.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
dpg

I don't know what it looks like if I tripped over it but am told if you buy wood from the area you've burned it before. So I'm told...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

If you have seen a maple tree by the lake it is most likely swamp maple.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnisquamguy

I would suggest you use the search button as you have asked this question quite a few times in the last year in a half.These threads have all been started by YOU!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...light=firewood

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 11-06-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Onshore

Swamp maple is the same thing as red maple. Red maple is considered a wetlands species because at least 50% of the time it grows in hydric soils. If someone actually identifies a red maple as a "swamp" maple it likely means that it was actually harvested from a swamp. This means it was growing under stress; its growth rate was slow so the annual rings should be thin and the wood more dense. It is also likely to be full of knots and burls.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Looking for updated info, and asking new question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I would suggest you use the search button as you have asked this question quite a few times in the last year in a half.These threads have all been started by YOU!

Looks like he is looking for updated info for this year, and asking about swamp maple (Thanks Shore Things...I thought that was it, but didn't know about the rings being closer together, etc.).

I personally would rather see a new thread if the old thread is a year or so old. In fact, some folks are criticized for bringing up an old thread.

Big Dog, I assume you would be looking for seasoned at this point. Good luck...I know my supplier in Alton is pretty much out, or at least he has commitments for what he has on hand.

Oh, and of the three links quoted, the first two are referencing the same thread...maybe a third one out there, but no as referenced. Guess we all can make "mistakes" .
bigdog (11-07-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
DickR

Getting really seasoned wood from a supplier can be iffy. A few years back, I got a cord and a half from a supplier who assured me that it was well seasoned. Well, perhaps a third of it was indeed quite dry and burned well. Another third burned well enough if mixed with really dry wood in a stove running hot. The rest was so wet it I almost could have taken a bath in it; that I just put on the pile to season naturally for the next year.

It's always best to get your wood a year in advance (bought or cut/split/stacked with your own efforts), and let nature dry it under cover over time.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Province Kiln Dried

We have had their firewood for 4 years running. Never disappointed. Burns great, they show up on the day and time they agreed to show up.

They guy that cleans by chimney told me that our chimney looked "damn good" for all the wood I burn. I told him I used province.. and his comment was.. "that's the best wood in the lakes region".

I said it before.. If you drop a piece of their wood on the cement floor in my garage. it sounds like a bowling pin! Their loads come with a nice mix of big and small and lots of great small "starter" pieces.

Impressive operation, I went up to order my wood in person last year and they showed me around. Nice folks to boot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Provi...57080114302252
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
secondcurve

Default Firewood in Tuftonboro

Can anyone give me a recommendation for firewood in Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro? I'm late this year. Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
dpg

Is it illegal to truck up cut/split wood from Mass? I believe it is in some states maybe I'm wrong.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

If it isn't a law it probably should be in an attempt to stop the spread of the dreaded LONG HORN ASIAN BEETLE

Only Ohio, Mass and NY currently have regulations.......

Asian Longhorned Beetle and Emerald Ash Borer haven't been found in New Hampshire, yet. Help keep them out.
Follow these steps:
  1. Take a picture and upload and/or
  2. Report a possible sighting
  3. Don't move firewood
Beetle Detectives - a new site filled with information for educators and the general public.
In the News and on the Web
Don't Move Firewood!

Did you know there is a ban on untreated, out-of-state firewood in NH without a commercial or home heating compliance agreement? Learn why here

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Looks like he is looking for updated info for this year, and asking about swamp maple (Thanks Shore Things...I thought that was it, but didn't know about the rings being closer together, etc.).

I personally would rather see a new thread if the old thread is a year or so old. In fact, some folks are criticized for bringing up an old thread.

Big Dog, I assume you would be looking for seasoned at this point. Good luck...I know my supplier in Alton is pretty much out, or at least he has commitments for what he has on hand.

Oh, and of the three links quoted, the first two are referencing the same thread...maybe a third one out there, but no as referenced. Guess we all can make "mistakes" .
First, I would like to thank you for pointing out my mistake. I took care of it. Yours is highlighted in Red.

I personally use the search button quite often that's why we have it, correct? I find it to be a PIA looking through multiple threads on the same topic. I think it is easier to reopen an old thread. And as far as wanting to open a new thread because you think the price of wood has changed is just crazy.