Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
mishman

Default repair to top of pier- permit needed?

We have a stone pier that is in good shape except for some subsidence in the middle of the pier - which has occurred over many years. I would like to fix the subsidence by bringing in some crushed stone by wheelbarrow (estimated 10-20 wheelbarrows of stone). Would I need a permit for this type of work? Also, we have an old wood deck that covers a portion of the stone pier (does not extend over the water, just sits on the interior of the pier which measures 75' by 20'). I would like to take up the old decking and put down plastic wood decking. Do I need a permit for that type of work? We are in M'boro.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The Portion I would be nervous about is adding material to the pier, your crushed rock repair. That probably gets viewed much like adding sand to a beach.... I don't think its a huge deal and probably done by PBN... but it would be best to have it....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Kamper

I doubt you'll need a permit to replace the planking. I'd be nervous about dumping the crushed rock near the shore without checking with town-hall or DES first.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
We have a stone pier that is in good shape except for some subsidence in the middle of the pier - which has occurred over many years. I would like to fix the subsidence by bringing in some crushed stone by wheelbarrow (estimated 10-20 wheelbarrows of stone). Would I need a permit for this type of work? Also, we have an old wood deck that covers a portion of the stone pier (does not extend over the water, just sits on the interior of the pier which measures 75' by 20'). I would like to take up the old decking and put down plastic wood decking. Do I need a permit for that type of work? We are in M'boro.
Clearly such repairs won't harm anything. November is a good month to get this type of work done. Good luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
RLW

Smile

My personnel feeling is that you will need a permit for both projects. I believe the town can handle the replacing the decking and I'm not sure about adding the crush stone. Oh, be very careful of other people around your piece of property as more and more people are turning in their neighbors and it doesn't need to be close neighbors either. This is just my 2¢’s
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
wifi

Depends on the town you are in. Here in Moultonboro, you do what you want. The guy down the street has: cut down 2 foot diameter trees on the water front to improve view, removed all natural veg and replaced with chips, put in a new sandy beach, new docks, paved his driveway, the list goes on. This past week, they tore down the lake wall, put staging in the lake and are in the process of putting a new face on the illegal slab that was poured last year. The town was informed, but nothing is done, nobody bothers to call anymore.

Permit, what is a permit ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
sluggo

On the stone pier or breakwater that you have ,a permit would need to be submitted to the state For any type of repair. You would need to file a permit by notification PBN .Bringing in any type of stone would be considered illegal fill in state waters. On the platform, It would have to have been installed before 1969 as a permanent structure to be considered grandfathered or the state will consider it as a non conforming application (unless it has already been permitted) and will require you to remove it before approving a permit for the pier repair and that's as long as the pier is legal . If it is a legal application you can re deck it with out a permit as long as no work is done in the state waters. For the gentleman that is upset about the guy down the street . you can check in with the town to see the permit ( its public information ) or go to the des wetlands web site and check the Query. If he is doing something illegal trust me there are eyes on him and his time will come. If you want to turn someone in you need to file an enforcement action with the state by filling out there paperwork on the wetlands web site and they will handle it from there. Remember its always best to have someone to your property that does wetland permitting to advise you in these cases.......
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Depends on the town you are in. Here in Moultonboro, you do what you want. The guy down the street has: cut down 2 foot diameter trees on the water front to improve view, removed all natural veg and replaced with chips, put in a new sandy beach, new docks, paved his driveway, the list goes on. This past week, they tore down the lake wall, put staging in the lake and are in the process of putting a new face on the illegal slab that was poured last year. The town was informed, but nothing is done, nobody bothers to call anymore.

Permit, what is a permit ?
As stated by the last post, you can complain, and the town and DES will listen... But if there is a permit then nothing will happen.... You may find that the work you are seeing happen, is indeed permitted... The Town and DES, will not tell you that at the time of complaint... as they have to look it up themselves to give it due diligence....