Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Water Camper

Default Basement Dehumidifier recommendations

My basement dehumidifier has just died after approximately 6 years of use.

I am in the process of looking for a new one and wonder if anyone out there may have some recommendations ?

I am currently looking at a Danby 70 pint unit with a 2 year warranty, drain hose included, automatic defrost, washable air filter, supposedly good for 1500 Sq Ft.

Any thoughts ?
Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default Danby 70-pint

Ours has been working well in our finished lower level for about 2 1/2 years. The only downer is that there's no option for turning off the fan when the area reaches the desired humidity and the compressor is off; since we run the Danby pretty much 24/7 May-October, that's a lot of electricity.

Make sure you get one which automatically re-sets after a power outage -- I don't remember if all the Danby models have that feature.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
dt5150

i just got one last week at lowes, might be a danby, i don't remember. it was the only one they had though, priced at about $260 i think. so far it's done a fantastic job. i ran a garden hose from it to the sump pump so i don't have to empty it. works like a champ and pretty quiet too.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
DRH

I've had poor luck with so-called "consumer" dehumidifiers, especially with Sears Kenmore brand. With the past two units we've purchased the humidity sensors have failed, causing the units to run continuously and freeze up.

A couple months ago I did some research and opted to buy an Oasis D-165-HG GST Commercial Grade Dehumidifier via Amazon.com. It was pricey (about $550), but it has performed beautifully in our basement. It runs much less than our Kenmore models, so even though it consumes more wattage when it's running, it's saving us in the long run as it runs fairly infrequently to maintain a nice dry environment in our basement.

I have had excellent experiences with other Kenmore brand appliances, but not with their dehumidifiers.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Water Camper

Default Dehumidifier

Well I ordered and have received a new Danby 70 pint dehumidifier. What finally sold me was the 2 year warranty that I was able to extend another 2 years. I don't usually go with extended warranties, but I've gone thru a few humidifiers here at home over the years. Time will tell !!

Thanks for the input,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
pjard

Good luck finding anything local. I had to order one online today. I bought a Danby 50 pint on simplydehumidifiers.com.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote