Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Tackleman

Default Metal roof

Who out there has a metal roof? Do you like it and who installed it. Thanks for the help!
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Orion

Default good and bad

I have a 12 year old metal roof that was installed on a new house. It really depends on the installer, but a well-installed metal roof is the way to go IMHO. My installer wasn't good. And the roof type I got was not the best either. If I were to do it over again, I would:

1. Make sure the underlying sheathing was plywood and not OSB.
2. Make sure the installer was highly recommended.
3. Get the type of roof that has no screws exposed (hidden brackets at edges instead.)
4. Make sure gutters are below the roof line edge so that sliding snow won't rip them off.
5. Put snow stops on the roof area above any chimney's and vent stacks.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Piper Roofing in Belmont

A good friend of mine on Sleepers Island installed a metal roof about a decade ago. She is very please with the above installer as well as the roof.

Only thing to be aware is the snow slides off the roof. Which is a good thing unless the snow slides onto you door step, you may need to install snow or ice stops.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
jmen24

The metal roof on my home was installed just before we purchased it 10 years ago. Installed by Mead and Braley out of Andover. It is standing seam and on the heavy side as far as available metal roofing gauge goes. 50 year roof installed by a top tier company.

Disclaimer: I have been involved professionally with the construction industry for over 10 years with a structural engineering background. I do not hand out many recommendations outside of our client list. We will not work with any other metal roofing installer than John and Pat.

The Pros:
-Looks the same today as it did 10 years ago.
-Snow slides off the roof as soon as the sun warms the metal.
-40 years left on my warranty.

The Cons:
-Snow slides off the roof as soon as the sun warms the metal. I have a tractor with a loader and a 3-point PTO 60" snowblower. It will take on average, a hour to clear freshly piled snow from the patio and oil fill areas, using that piece of equipment.
-If the piled snow is not delt with, within 24 hrs, it is almost impossible to remove.
-If you have nice landscaping around the perimeter of your home, beyond flowers. It will be destroyed. Some bushes are just not practical to have cover over.

I would recommend metal roofing to a friend and have. I typically only make that recommendation with knowledge of how it will affect their homes surroundings. I will also make sure that they are aware as well.

Things to consider before pulling the trigger:
-How falling snow will impact how you use your home. Doors, patios, grills, fuel delivery, decks (have replaced decks that have literally been seperated from the house due to sliding snow), landscaping, etc.
-Determine what items in the above list that are impacted, that you are willing to deal with snow on or around that is so densely packed and iced up that you will remove the following day every time it snows. The reason it slides off is because the metal has warmed, creating a water slide! Think of slush ball wet!
-If your home has valleys, the snow will not slide off the roof. The snow (ice layer) forms around the raised seams of the roof and locks the snow in each pan. Valleys do not allow for the snow to slide all the way down and out. You will have to remove this snow.

The cost is close to par with a top quality Architectural shingle. Determine the best option for your home based on the layout. Different factors carry different weight from one person to the next.

IF I had the option to not have metal roofing on my current home, I would take it. I am not about to remove perfectly good roofing material for a small inconvenience. I would remove it all and use an Architectural shingle if a project involved removing more than 40% of the existing roof comes up in the future.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (11-05-2013), secondcurve (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Default What about installing these?

Add these on.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
jmen24

SIKSUKR makes a good point. You can add snow guards to prevent the snow from falling off and in some cases or areas, it would remove the issue of snow falling off. I have a version of these over the roof penetrations to prevent damage to vents.

Two things to consider:

1. If the snow cannot fall off, you have to remove it from the roof to prevent a structural issue, same as you would with Architectural shingles. Metal roofing will melt the base layer of a snow pack, thus increasing its weight on sunny days (to a point, it will eventually get lighter as water falls off the roof). This is not prevented by increasing insulation. Metal absorbs and radiates sunlight very well. It only requires a small amount of metal to be exposed and it expands from there.

2. These can add an additional cost to the install. It may very well make it worth the additional cost if you are looking to protect a couple of specific areas. In order for a snow guard to be affective you need to prevent the snow from moving, this requires an install that matches the photo posted. If you only installed protection at the bottom or eave line, all the weight of that snow above rests on that one point and it could let go.

I would not consider covering my entire roof with these, as I think they are not overly attractive from a residential design standpoint. They do work though.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post

Metal roofing will melt the base layer of a snow pack, thus increasing its weight on sunny days.
Um, I have a problem with this statement. Conservation on mass, i.e. water is water. You're not going to add weight by melting snow (into water). Add more water to the mix then you have this issue (especially if it rains) as snow tends to collect the additional water and not disperse it.

Remember, volume can change, but in a closed system (nothing added/removed), mass will never change.

Now movement of all the weight to the edge of the roof when it melts is likely and will need to be addressed just like any other roofing material.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Long Pine

Default Metal roof on gambrel?

Has anyone put a metal roof on a gambrel? Any concerns? I like the idea but I'm wondering how the seams would work where the roof changes pitch.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
jmen24

You got me on that one!

Density for weight in the first sentence. The rest holds water!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
mneck1814

I have a standing seam and love it! We do have the "bear claw" snow guards over the front door and the slider on the deck. As I understand it, there are different types of guards for different scenarios and each type has a specific pattern that they need to be installed in. Mine basically just hold the snow over the doors and it gradually melts, usually within a couple days of a large storm.

My roof was installed over the old shingles which caused a slightly longer overhang which made our 4" gutters useless as the water shot off right over the gutter. We have since installed 6" seamless aluminum gutters with caps that work really well with the standing seam roof.

At the lake we also have a metal roof and it has worked very well there and has relieved the urgency of getting over to shovel the roof after a large storm.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Tackleman

Default Metal Roof

You guys gave me a lot to think about. I wanted a metal roof so that I would not have to worry about shoveling it off. I was thinking about the shingle style,of metal roof. If you use he snow stoppers will,it melt after a big storm or do you still,have to shovel,it off? I have a deck facing the water and I would not be up there right after every storm. If I used snow guards would I have to worry about ripping the deck off?
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
mneck1814

I never have to shovel my roof. The guards are just to control the snow dumping in front of the doors, the small area (maybe 10 feet of roof) melts pretty quickly after a storm and everything else slides off. I don't have the problem with snow getting stuck in the valleys, the snow slides from those, too. Where the snow comes off onto the deck I do have to shovel that relatively soon after it comes off the roof before it freezes solid, I have always shoveled the deck after a storm anyway.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Shoveling snow off your roof is one of the biggest mis-hypes by the media. Most homes in this part of the country have to be built for snow load. While not true in all cases, it pretty much depends on the pitch and the size of the framing. Very flat roofs should at least be cause for concern but the normal northeast pitched roofs are just fine. I prefer to have that snow on my roof as it is great free insulation. And as has been addressed prior in this thread, another big misinformation by the media is after big snowfall they love to tell you that the warm temps will be adding weight so get that snow off now. Rain, of course is a different story but for those with flatter roofs, be happy if warm weather follows because any melting will lighten the load.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Shoveling snow off your roof is one of the biggest mis-hypes by the media. Most homes in this part of the country have to be built for snow load. While not true in all cases, it pretty much depends on the pitch and the size of the framing. Very flat roofs should at least be cause for concern but the normal northeast pitched roofs are just fine. I prefer to have that snow on my roof as it is great free insulation. And as has been addressed prior in this thread, another big misinformation by the media is after big snowfall they love to tell you that the warm temps will be adding weight so get that snow off now. Rain, of course is a different story but for those with flatter roofs, be happy if warm weather follows because any melting will lighten the load.
I agree. For the most part, I think you are likely to cause damage to a roof by shoveling it. Not only by hitting it with the shovel or anything else, but by possible damaging the shingles by walking on them when they are cold and brittle.
Of course there are exceptions...flat or near flat roofs built before current standards could be cause for concern. Otherwise, like Siksukr said, take advantage of the extra insulating value of the snow cover.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
DickR

Default For new construction....

While the durability of metal roofing is one thing, there are the issues of snow sliding off it to places you'd rather it not pile up. If you are building a new house and think that you ought to have a metal roof so you can avoid having to shovel snow off it, think again. As pointed out, the roof must be designed for a heavy snow load, so for a new house there isn't anything particularly wrong with letting the snow stay there.

If the intent is to avoid ice dam formation and excessive icicle formation, bear in mind that in nearly every instance the formation of ice dams and icicles is an indication of heat leaking into the space under the roof deck. For a new house, there is no reason why this ought to happen, if care is taken to avoid this sort of heat leakage. Take care to seal the upper level ceiling against air leakage into the attic space. Avoid can lights there; they are a bad idea, from a building science point of view. Provide adequate soffit and ridge ventilation. Keep the heat out of the attic and you avoid roof ice issues.

For a lot of good information on this sort of thing, a good site to browse is www.greenbuildingadvisor.com.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote