Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Steveo

Default Careful with the salmon

I have enjoyed the many threads this spring about the good salmon fishing in Alton and elsewhere. I also have seen the many photos in the Gallery. Two comments I feel compelled to make:

1.) I don't understand why anyone would want to keep their catch. You can buy all the salmon you want at the local market that has all the benefits and taste that our lake salmon have. As a matter of fact the market salmon is probably better since our lake salmon has tons of mercury. Why can't you just let it go so you and others can enjoy the catch again another day.

2.) I appreciate that most anglers do release the salmon they catch, and that's great. The only concern I have is the way I see the salmon being handled prior to release. You have to understand that touching the salmon with your hands can do significant damage to the fish - scale lose, protective slim lose, bacteria transfer to name a few. I wish people would be less concerned with the trophy photo with both hands wrapped around the fish and more concerned with releasing a healthy fish that can be caught again, still healthy. Take the picture with the fish either lying on the dock or even better dipping in the water as you hold its mouth and remove the hook

It is not my intention to ruining anyone's enjoyment but we can enjoy a whole lot more if we take some simple steps to protect this wonderful resource.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
martbri7

I'm confused by your points. First of all there are numerous species of delicious fish in Lake Winnipesaukee, ever tried white perch? And as I hold a valid NH fishing license I have the right to keep or release as long as I obey the law. I do agree handling can hurt the fish...but fish and game has a great website with valuable tools and information for these issues (rubber net vs. nylon). I don't keep all the fish I catch but its a nice feeling catching a fish grilling it myself and saving myself $$....oh by the way the corn I'm gonna eat was grown myself. Your topic is very sensitive to alot of fishermen and women and you might get alot of heat, but I'm sure we're all aware how are actions are when we fish.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I have to disagree with your first point. Fish do not live forever. The average lifespan of a landlocked salmon is 3 - 5 years, with most averaging 4+. I would rather see fisherman harvest the larger older fish than to simply let them die off. As far as mercury goes, yes some lakes and streams have high concentrations, I do not believe Winnipesaukee is one of those lakes... There is a list on the NH Fish & Game web site which makes note of these lakes and ponds.

I agree with you on your second point.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
The Hairy Beast

First off, NH Fish & Game stocks these Salmon in Winni for the express purpose of allowing people to catch them - this population is not, nor has it ever been, self-sustaining. And if a man goes to the trouble and expense to catch a fish, I don't see why he can't keep it. I don't keep fish because I hate fish - I release everything, but not to be noble. if I were catching porterhouse steaks, I'd have a real dilemma on my hands. Store-bought salmon are still salmon, raised in pens, but materially the same as the ones stocked in Winnipesaukee. Both were put there to be caught.

Up to now, I have caught, landed and released thirty five salmon (since April 2nd). The vast majority I did not handle, or even net. I prefer (to the guffaws of surrounding anglers) to lay on the dock or bank, grab the fly with forceps and shake it loose (my flies are barbless).

But shaking a fish loose with forceps doesn't make for much of a picture, so some of the bigger ones I do handle, to get the hot shot. Those fish will be gone shortly but the pictures will last forever. This isn't volleyball, this is fishing. And, as usual, it wouldn't be fishing if somebody (usually the guy who isn't catching anything) wasn't complaining about the release.
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-02-2011), hilltopper (04-29-2011), ishoot308 (04-29-2011), natureboy79 (04-29-2011), RailroadJoe (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Steveo

The thing that bothers me about this forum on occasion is you can't make a simple comment or suggestion without being ripped on or made out to be the bad guy.

Now I have to react to each comment of my comments:

- I know there are many types of fish in the lake, my comments were specifically about salmon which can be much more harmed from mishandling.

- I am not saying it is illegal or a crime to keep your catch. I know that it is legal and the angler has the right to do so.

- I am also an angler (and not the one that isn't catching anything). My desire to have people release their catch is a total selfish comment - I want to catch more fish, it's that simple.

- I can appreciate the comment that there is "good feeling" to catch and grill your fish. I am not trying to deny anyone that pleasure. I would hope that you can get that thrill with just one fish on occasion. I was reacting to a photo that showed several fish dead on the ground. Sorry if that bothered me, I just didn't see the need for it.

- I also realize that salmon have a relatively short lifespan, but how many times do you thing a fish can be caught in that short span - a lot, if released.

- I don't understand why stocking fish or non self-sustaining fish makes any difference to my points. The more fish you release the more you get to catch another day

- I agree with The Hairy Beast's last point. You absolutely should get that trophy photo. I just think it would be better to do it like he says - for the rare, really big one who probably doesn't have much time left anyway. For the the rest of the catch you should handle as he does.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
martbri7

Default I'm sorry on my post...

Now I look back a day later and feel bad about my post I don't want to be the one that bashes, must have been one of those weird days for me. Everyone makes great valid points and I don't even grow my corn...I buy it at a local farm.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
The thing that bothers me about this forum on occasion is you can't make a simple comment or suggestion without being ripped on or made out to be the bad guy
Do you really feel you were being "ripped on"?? I went back and read the responses and thought they were fine and respectful. They may not have agreed with you but no one certainly "ripped" on you. And no I do not think you offended anyone, you had an opinion and voiced it, just like the responses you got.

If you want to get ripped on, open a restaurant and let the forum review it!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-02-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
The Hairy Beast

I didn't mean to get my back up either, but the keep/vs/release issue is sore spot in the angling community and provokes plenty of real flame wars on fishing forums across the Interwebs. Careful release of fish does improve their chances of survival and it does give other anglers a second or third crack at them, all of which is good. If you're not going to keep one you should release it quickly with as little handling as possible. There's nothing wrong with posting guidelines, for example, for soft release.

But the tone of your post was critical, and that's going to provoke reactions. For example, you wrote:
I wish people would be less concerned with the trophy photo with both hands wrapped around the fish and more concerned with releasing a healthy fish that can be caught again, still healthy. Take the picture with the fish either lying on the dock or even better dipping in the water as you hold its mouth and remove the hook
I took that personally because I have posted several pictures of myself or my buddies holding fish. Now, the vast majority of fish we catch we soft release, but occasionally we do hold one for a good shot, as I mentioned in my prior comment. Apparently you don't actually have a problem with that, but your first comment suggested you did.

I guess I can only suggest from bitter prior experience that a post designed to be helpful would be less likely to upset people if it's written in a helpful tone, rather than critical. I understand now that you didn't mean to single anybody out and I was wrong to get a bit hot in my response,
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
Steveo (05-02-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
RailroadJoe

I was at the Alton Bay ramp this afternoon. A boat with three fishermen (?) parked at the small dock there and proceeded to set up a cook-out. One in the boat was filleting two salmon and he threw the carcass in the lake and put the fillets away for later. Standard procedure? After they ate their grilled salmon, already filleted earlier, they went back out to fish, I believe for more. Is this legal?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
martbri7

Angry

NO!!!! People like that hurt the population, the problem is that these people probably have no clue on rules. This angers me greatly

*** Once again this is why I hate to post....each fishing license holder is allowed to harvest 2 salmon, so maybe it is legal.. ***

Last edited by martbri7; 05-01-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: See ***
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
NO!!!! People like that hurt the population, the problem is that these people probably have no clue on rules. This angers me greatly

*** Once again this is why I hate to post....each fishing license holder is allowed to harvest 2 salmon, so maybe it is legal.. ***
LOL, well, I reacted the same as you at first. I wish people would practise catch and release, but ultimately if a man catches a fish legally there's nothing wrong with keeping and eating it. After April 1st you get to keep two salmon a day if you want to.

That's in the lake, btw. The Merrymeeting river is C&R, fly fishing only year round (except November and December, when it's closed to all fishing).
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Rusty

I don't think these two little fellas care too much about how to handle a salmon.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
The Hairy Beast

When the salmon are really plentiful they go for the skin because it has the highest fat content and tend to leave the rest to rot.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
nightrider

Default catch and release

"NO!!!! People like that hurt the population, the problem is that these people probably have no clue on rules. This angers me greatly"

You can fish fish all you want after harvesting two in a day...you just cannot harvest more than two. No culling allowed either.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
CateP

Default What is Soft Release?

My partner and I are big fisher women and have never heard of soft release. Could someone tell me what this is or point me to good a resource on fish handling?

P.S.
Wish we were up there to start the season, but real estate market in NJ is really slow. I expect once we are settled up there we will be posting on this forum more than others. LOVE to fish!!
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
MikeF-NH

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...rs_pledge.html
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote