Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #101
susiehooper

We had dinner at The New Woodshed last night. Fabulous from start to finish. Very welcoming when we walked in; efficient service from Julie; excellent prime rib and hanger steak; delicious sides. Too full for dessert. 5 stars!!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
susiehooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #102
Sully

Thumbs down

Well .....sorry LadyJane and VitaBene....but I am in complete agreement with ACME on the Broads. I, too, have very willingly given the new Woodshed three opportunities and yes....they have failed every time. I too will never return to the new Woodshed as there are so many much more worthy restaurants.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #103
dxd

I have been to New Woodshed about a month ago for the first time since they reopened. I have visited the Old Woodshed maybe 5 times and the experience in New Woodshed was better than any of the times before. Yes, the food is still pricey as before and still good. However, I no longer need to waste the whole evening to have a meal, if I do not want to. The waiter we had was great and food and drinks were coming out of the kitchen/bar promptly and as ordered. I was not that emotionally vested in the old restaurant and for that reason and the reason I mentioned above I will not miss it and will continue to patron the new place until they disappoint me.
dxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #104
MikeF-NH

My wife and I tried the Woodshed for the first time this past weekend for our anniversary based on comments on this page. It was a mixed experience but I want to be fair and provide both the good and the bad.

The good:
-we sampled the raw bar with oysters and shrimp cocktail...EXCELLENT.
-Out waitress was attentive and knew everything on the menu very well. Its clear the owners take care to bring their staff up to speed on their entire menu.
-The drinks were perfect. I like a good martini and my wife tried the blueberry lemonade drink and both were well crafted.
-The restaraunt itself was very welcoming and had a very unique feel to it.
-our desserts were very tasty. My wife had the "creme" dish and I had the chocolate mousse pie. I think we were pushing it having dessert with so much food.

The "not so" good":
-the prices were very steep even for one of the nicer restaraunts in the area. While we weren't there to pinch pennies...I think many will frequent the restaraunt less often due to prices and that may cause some struggles to keep the place going...especially in the off season.
-The meat: my wife ordered the pork chop and I ordered the lamb chops. Neither of us are picky and will not complain if the tempurature of the meat misses by a bit. Understanding that both cut were very thick and can be a challenge for inexperienced chefs because of it....my lamb chop was raw (not under cooked but deep purple raw). I sent it back (which I will only do if things are really bad) and it came back well done (I ordered medium rare). I ate the chop because I didn't want my wife waiting all night for me to get the right tempon my chop. About 1/4 way through my wifes pork chop...she sees her chop is also raw in the middle (a HUGE health risk with pork). She was going to cut around it but I told her it was dangerous and to send it back. It came back the second time...still raw so she sent it back again. By the time her chop arrived for the third time, I was done eating.

Having said this, I know mistakes happen. It certainly wasn't the waitresses fault and her tip didn't reflect that. The chef made 3 mistakes but I've worked my share of kitchens and understand how hard it can be to get the temp right on a thick cut of meat....but he did "miss" 4 times on one table of two. I was most disappointed that, in an establishment of this caliber, the manager didn't drop by to say a few words. While we weren't expecting a comped round of drinks or dessert...this is common in high end restaraunt when they don't live up to the billing. I was more expecting an indication that management cares about the quality of food going to the table for a $200 bill for two people.

A huge ovation to the waitress, the bartender and the person running the raw bar. You folks knocked it out of the park. As for the rest...my last visit to the Woodshed. You could have killed my wife with raw pork and nobody but the waitress seemed to care. A true disappointment to a perfect start.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #105
wifi

Maybe not very "sophisticated" but I use a meat thermo.....is it that hard ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #106
FlyingScot

Question Maybe they get overwhelmed?

We've been 3 times--the first 2 were in the off season, and both were great in ways similar to those described by others.

Our 3rd trip was 8pm the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Most things were good, but the service was unbelievably slow. When I complained gently to the manager, he did what he could, and was almost embarrassingly attentive (the kids even got a chuckle out of it). But we were really soured on the whole thing. As in Mike's case, it seemed almost impossible that they could be so inept.

My conclusion--they get overwhelmed and are unable to recover in the way that most restaurants would. It's almost as if they stop thinking about things like clocks and meat thermometers.

I don't mean this to be harsh. We like the restaurant and the staff a lot. But our visits will be focused on slow nights and the off season.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #107
Grove84

Default New Woodshed

We visited Friday evening to celebrate our daughter getting into graduate school. The service was good but not overbearing , we had reservations at 6:45 and during that time we were there it is 40% occupied but our meals and service were quite good.
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #108
Old Hubbard Rd

Default We gave it another chance....

We tried the New Woodshed last year and they were out of Prime Rib. We gave it another shot just last night. I called for reservations and they were fully booked which usually means they are going to be busy and they should use this as notice to prep enough food especially PRIME RIB!! The outside looked beautiful! The dining room reminded me of the old Woodshed. The prices are really high now and guess what happened again? NO PRIME RIB! Our table was able to get 1 piece of Prime Rib and they were out! How does this happen at a place that specializes in Prime Rib in the height of SUMMER season? Why not cook a little extra and serve shaved steak or use it the next day in some sort of creative dish like most restaurants do? Drinks were great! I wish they could get it together! All our dinners were tasty and we did enjoy our dinners but were very disappointed about them running out of PRIME RIB!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #109
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I went for the first time last night. The food was very good but pricey. I got the 12oz prime rib and it came out perfect. My wife got the pork chop and my dog loved it for breakfast this morning.The waitress forgot my second beer after asking twice but other than that the meal was very good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #110
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I went for the first time last night. The food was very good but pricey. I got the 12oz prime rib and it came out perfect. My wife got the pork chop and my dog loved it for breakfast this morning.The waitress forgot my second beer after asking twice but other than that the meal was very good.

How would you compare to “O”? Prices are similar, Woodshed is a decent ride for me plus I think the food and service are a little better at “O”. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #111
Biggd

I love O's. We were going to go there but we heard good things about the Woodshed but had never been there. O's is much better. As a matter of fact I had a great prime rib at the Bob House last weekend that was as good if not better than the Woodshed and much cheaper.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #112
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
How would you compare to “O”? Prices are similar, Woodshed is a decent ride for me plus I think the food and service are a little better at “O”. Your thoughts?

Based on my 1st visit to “O” steakhouse (last month) and my one visit to The New Woodshed last year, although the Woodshed was great, I feel that “O” as a restaurant has them beat hands down. “O” is a special experience!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #113
Biggd

Agreed!

Old 11-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #114
joey2665

Quote:
I love O's. We were going to go there but we heard good things about the Woodshed but had never been there. O's is much better. As a matter of fact I had a great prime rib at the Bob House last weekend that was as good if not better than the Woodshed and much cheaper.

I love the Bob House. Never had a bad meal there. That’s my exact feelings on Woodshed, there are other options just as good or better and closer to home.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #115
phoenix

Bob house still has the best haddock and for a great price
Old 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #116
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
We tried the New Woodshed last year and they were out of Prime Rib. We gave it another shot just last night. I called for reservations and they were fully booked which usually means they are going to be busy and they should use this as notice to prep enough food especially PRIME RIB!! The outside looked beautiful! The dining room reminded me of the old Woodshed. The prices are really high now and guess what happened again? NO PRIME RIB! Our table was able to get 1 piece of Prime Rib and they were out! How does this happen at a place that specializes in Prime Rib in the height of SUMMER season? Why not cook a little extra and serve shaved steak or use it the next day in some sort of creative dish like most restaurants do? Drinks were great! I wish they could get it together! All our dinners were tasty and we did enjoy our dinners but were very disappointed about them running out of PRIME RIB!
HOLLY blank. OUR FIRST TIME THERE THIS YEAR and they were out of prime rib as well. good food, but very loud inside.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #117
Biggd

Went to the Woodshed again Sat night with another couple. We had a wonderful time and we all had great meals. I had the prime rib and it was very good. I still say O's has them beat as far as the food goes but we had a great night and we look forward to going back again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #118
joey2665

Quote:
Went to the Woodshed Sat night with another couple. We had a wonderful time and we all had great meals. I had the prime rib and it was very good. I still say O's has them beat as far as the food goes but we had a great night and we look forward to going back again.

I agree. Woodshed is nice for a change of menu and atmosphere but “O” is better over all.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #119
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree. Woodshed is nice for a change of menu and atmosphere but “O” is better over all.

As far as the lakes region, O' s is a cut above everthing else for food. The steak is as good if not better as any of the fine steak houses in Boston.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #120
Hillcountry

Quote:
As far as the lakes region, O' s is a cut above everthing else for food. The steak is as good if not better as any of the fine steak houses in Boston.

I can attest to their Kobe being the best I ever tasted but there’s something to be said for a couple of we’ll marbled Angus strips from Hannaford...tonight’s dinner was superb. Of course, l’m an excellent steak cooker I will admit.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #121
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
The steak is as good if not better as any of the fine steak houses in Boston.

I agree 100% about their steak and its preparation! Superb!

Dan
Old 03-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #122
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I can attest to their Kobe being the best I ever tasted but there’s something to be said for a couple of we’ll marbled Angus strips from Hannaford...tonight’s dinner was superb. Of course, l’m an excellent steak cooker I will admit.
My son cooks up a mean steak. He uses a cast iron skillet on a wood fired grill with a little butter and garlic. And I'm an excellent taste tester. .
Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #123
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
My son cooks up a mean steak. He uses a cast iron skillet on a wood fired grill with a little butter and garlic. And I'm an excellent taste tester. .
That's the secret.......sear in cast iron pan and finish in a 450 degree oven and they come out just like Ruth Chris' MJ's Steak House....yum
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #124
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
That's the secret.......sear in cast iron pan and finish in a 450 degree oven and they come out just like Ruth Chris' MJ's Steak House....yum
Never tried the oven part but would be interested to know how they TIME the oven part...in my cast iron frying pan I can feel the steak with my fork (not piercing it of course) as it approaches the perfect rare stage. I would feel helpless with my angus beef in the oven where I couldn’t manage it!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #125
Biggd

U guys are making me hungry!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #126
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Never tried the oven part but would be interested to know how they TIME the oven part...in my cast iron frying pan I can feel the steak with my fork (not piercing it of course) as it approaches the perfect rare stage. I would feel helpless with my angus beef in the oven where I couldn’t manage it!
I use the same method pretty much... Cast iron skillet in oven at 550 or your hottest temp. Take the pan out and put on the big stove burner to sear with butter, then 5 minutes in oven for the normal inch or so thick steak.

Open the oven and check with your finger, but leave some room for it to cook as it rests for 5 minutes before serving.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #127
Bigstan

Default Been a while

It's been a while, before I bring six tomorrow night any recent updates?

Hoping running out of prime rib is over now that the season is upon us..

Last edited by Bigstan; 05-26-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #128
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
It's been a while, before I bring six tomorrow night any recent updates?

Hoping running out of prime rib is over now that the season is upon us..
I will answer myself - prime rib everywhere tonight, a full house. A little marble-rich, but larger than 12 oz as stated . Cooked spot on. Salmon and swordfish special for the fish people were spoken highly of, swordfish was huge at an inch and a half or so thick. Broccoli and summer squash, meh, but no-one is there for veggies.

Go naked or whatever the name was swirler drinks were a hit, and the doggie bag people were a plenty.

Well done, keep it up !
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Reilly (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #129
SAMIAM

Quote:
I will answer myself - prime rib everywhere tonight, a full house. A little marble-rich, but larger than 12 oz as stated . Cooked spot on. Salmon and swordfish special for the fish people were spoken highly of, swordfish was huge at an inch and a half or so thick. Broccoli and summer squash, meh, but no-one is there for veggies.

Go naked or whatever the name was swirler drinks were a hit, and the doggie bag people were a plenty.

Well done, keep it up !
Bigstan….always wanted to say a few words about prime rib,so here goes.
Marble rich is actually a good thing.Prime rib needs fat for tenderness and flavor.People often complain about too much fat on their prime rib but it's there because beef cattle are fattened up on grain,barley silage etc in the feed lots.
There are two sides to a prime rib roast.The sirloin end has less fat,a large eye and looks more like a sirloin steak.The other end(my favorite) is called the chuck end which has a smaller eye,a circle of fat in the center surrounded by flap meat which is the most tender and flavorful of all.
Some restaurants remove the circle of fat for appearance sake before serving but it's really not a bad thing.
I realize that grass fed beef is pretty trendy right now but without good marbling I wouldn't buy it for myself.
Anyway.....enjoy you prime rib and don't mind a little fat.....you only live once
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-28-2018), pops (05-29-2018), Reilly (05-29-2018), TiltonBB (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #130
Bigstan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bigstan….always wanted to say a few words about prime rib,so here goes.
Marble rich is actually a good thing.Prime rib needs fat for tenderness and flavor.People often complain about too much fat on their prime rib but it's there because beef cattle are fattened up on grain,barley silage etc in the feed lots.
There are two sides to a prime rib roast.The sirloin end has less fat,a large eye and looks more like a sirloin steak.The other end(my favorite) is called the chuck end which has a smaller eye,a circle of fat in the center surrounded by flap meat which is the most tender and flavorful of all.
Some restaurants remove the circle of fat for appearance sake before serving but it's really not a bad thing.
I realize that grass fed beef is pretty trendy right now but without good marbling I wouldn't buy it for myself.
Anyway.....enjoy you prime rib and don't mind a little fat.....you only live once

Nope, it didn't phase me a bit. I appreciate the leaving the actual trimming to me. I eat around it and trim down the leftovers, that way the dogs get to splurge later on in the evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Reilly (05-29-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #131
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Flap meat?

Samiam

So, is flap meat really what is used for "steak tips" in New England? Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #132
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
Samiam

So, is flap meat really what is used for "steak tips" in New England? Thanks
Most of the marinated steak tips that you see in markets and restaurants are cut from sirloin.Others use flap meat from prime rib .We use tenderloin tails at the VK
All are nice eating
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #133
Rusty

Quote:
The other end(my favorite) is called the chuck end which has a smaller eye,a circle of fat in the center surrounded by flap meat which is the most tender and flavorful of all.
The only steak that I eat is the Angus chuck eye.
Nothing is better than a baked potato with cream cheese, broccoli, a big juicy chuck eye steak, and a cold beer.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #134
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Curious!
Do the restaurant reviews in this thread really represent $100.00 per person meals?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #135
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Curious!
Do the restaurant reviews in this thread really represent $100.00 per person meals?
Alcohol purchased during $100 p/p meals is the main factor in running up the tab...if you can keep the drinks to a minimum (which is tough when out with friends) you can get a great meal on the cheap! (So to speak)
Restaurants rely heavily on the bar sales for profit.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:31 AM   #136
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Nothing is better than a baked potato with cream cheese, broccoli, a big juicy chuck eye steak, and a cold beer.
Now the secret is out.......not many people realize that chuck eye is one of the tastiest steaks you can buy.....cheap too !
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #137
Hillcountry

Quote:
Now the secret is out.......not many people realize that chuck eye is one of the tastiest steaks you can buy.....cheap too !
I read that there are only 2 chuck eye steaks per beef...is this true? If so, you would think they are more rare (pun intended)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #138
Rusty

Quote:
For a snack tomorrow I bought some nice juicy chuck eye steaks.
Here they are:
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #139
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Just to clarify, cream cheese?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #140
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Curious!
Five people, $300 so no, not $100 per.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #141
Rusty

Quote:
Just to clarify, cream cheese?
Whoops..Sour cream. Thanks for asking.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #142
Jilliebean28

Default Ask Before Ordering

So my sister and I went to the bar area at The New Woodshed last night around 5:15pm. One of the specials was their Burrata salad. The waitress recommended adding a protein to the salad and suggested the petite filet. My sister and I both ordered as suggested along with the asparagus appetizer and a glass of wine each.
Boy were we shocked when the bill arrived and our total was $143!!!! Each filet was $35!! Absolutely ridiculous!!
We learned our lesson, in that, we should have asked how much the added small piece of protein would be.
Jilliebean28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jilliebean28 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #143
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilliebean28 View Post
So my sister and I went to the bar area at The New Woodshed last night around 5:15pm. One of the specials was their Burrata salad. The waitress recommended adding a protein to the salad and suggested the petite filet. My sister and I both ordered as suggested along with the asparagus appetizer and a glass of wine each.
Boy were we shocked when the bill arrived and our total was $143!!!! Each filet was $35!! Absolutely ridiculous!!
We learned our lesson, in that, we should have asked how much the added small piece of protein would be.
That is outrageous...shame on them for not telling you how much the “petite” cost when added to a salad.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #144
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilliebean28 View Post
Well price aside, how was the food itself ?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #145
Jilliebean28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Well price aside, how was the food itself ?
Well....how bad can asparagus, 3 slices of tomato, some cheese and a piece of steak be?
Actually, it was tasty but not $143 tasty!!
Jilliebean28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #146
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That is certainly pricey for that! Have you noticed that waitpeople give you the specials but most often do not tell you the price anymore? Quite often they are very pricey. Am I remembering wrong but in the old days didn't special mean something they didn't usually offer but not a "very special" price?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #147
Shreddy

Default I've held on for a while...

Went to the New Woodshed NYE 2017 with a group of four (myself included). We sat in the dining room, had drinks, wine, good dinner, and good service. Overall very impressed with everything and the bill (I think a little over $400) was justified. Overall experience, probably an 8.8/10 due to good company, good service, good drinks, good food, and good ambiance.

Flash forward to NYE 2018. Went in and the dining room was not full, but as a group of 2 we were told we could sit in the bar area. Less than ideal, but still nice. We had drinks, a bottle of wine, and didn't cheap out on food. One of the specials was a beef wellington that the server encouraged me to order because they were running out soon and I could reserve mine. Naturally, I ordered it. Scale of 1-10 that beef wellington was probably a 2. It looked and tasted as if it was microwaved but came on the bill as an astounding $45 (was shocked with this one which is why I posted, to relate to the comment above about the petit filet for $35). The server asked, I gave my $.02 but I chose not to really complain. It is what it is, things happen, not every dinner is perfect. Regardless, the damage was done. The bill was about $250 for the two of us for a very subpar experience. We agreed we would not be back for a while and would prefer Buckeys instead Overall experience, probably a 3/10 mainly based on good company but big downgrade on service, food, and ambiance (being forced to the pub).

To each their own on this. I have no issue spending on dinner, but at least make it worth it.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #148
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I have yet to hear a review of the New Woodshed that was good enough for me to justify the price. I know they're not the same environment or emotional history, but I'll stick with the Bob House, Canoe, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #149
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I have yet to hear a review of the New Woodshed that was good enough for me to justify the price. I know they're not the same environment or emotional history, but I'll stick with the Bob House, Canoe, etc.

See my post above...after my first experience, I was highly satisfied. The second, not so much. Although you're seeing plenty of negative reviews, they must be doing decent since they're still in business and still have strong reservations. Often times people only run to give reviews out of frustration (negative reviews) as opposed to shedding light on the positive. I had been twice and had both positive and negative which is why I figured I'd could add some color to the thread. I rarely post reviews and usually go out to dinner at least once a week. Just because you're not hearing a review that was good enough to justify the price doesn't mean there haven't been dinners meeting that criteria. Honestly, I'd recommend trying it in the right circumstance (e.g., special occasion, more than two people, seating in the dining room) and take the chance that service and food will be up to par.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #150
Rusty

So glad that my wife is a good cook and knows how to shop for food that I like. 🍞🧀🍅🍗🍳🍰☕
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #151
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
See my post above...after my first experience, I was highly satisfied. The second, not so much. Although you're seeing plenty of negative reviews, they must be doing decent since they're still in business and still have strong reservations. Often times people only run to give reviews out of frustration (negative reviews) as opposed to shedding light on the positive. I had been twice and had both positive and negative which is why I figured I'd could add some color to the thread. I rarely post reviews and usually go out to dinner at least once a week. Just because you're not hearing a review that was good enough to justify the price doesn't mean there haven't been dinners meeting that criteria. Honestly, I'd recommend trying it in the right circumstance (e.g., special occasion, more than two people, seating in the dining room) and take the chance that service and food will be up to par.
I hear ya, but let's be honest: Applebee's and Friday's are still in business, so there's a group of people that'll accept anything!

I'm open to visiting if there's an event justifying the risk and cost, but one just hasn't come up yet.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #152
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I hear ya, but let's be honest: Applebee's and Friday's are still in business, so there's a group of people that'll accept anything!

I'm open to visiting if there's an event justifying the risk and cost, but one just hasn't come up yet.

Yep - completely understood. The place is very cool, and given costs, I agree that people should expect top of the line. Reality is although it's high-end for Lake Winni, it really wouldn't be high end in Boston. Now I get that the market demographic is different, but Moultonborough (or the lake in general) is flourishing with tons of money lately. Take a look at the lake, the amount of traffic, the boats, etc. All I'm trying to say is if you're contemplating whether you should or shouldn't try it based on forum reviews then just give it a shot. I love Canoe, and my personal favorite is Corner House, but I like having options.