Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
KBoater

Question Snow Depth

I just found out that I have a snow bank in front of my house that is 2-3 foot high. I will have to get it cleared before I arrive. I understand more snow is a possibility. Is there any site that gives accurate snow depths for the Wolfeboro area?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Weirs guy

FLboater, a word of warning. Those drifts are mighty hard to move, the worst I've seen in the few winters we've been here. My new shovel almost didn't make it!

The problem with finding accurate snow depths from this last storm was the wind blowing the drifts. As I stated in another post we had anywhere from 0" - 48" depending on which side of the driveway you were on.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

FlBoater. I think Wolf area has about 8 inches on average on the ground. The banks are high in places of course where it has been plowed. As Weirs guy said, it is hard moving. You have to break through to get to the soft fluffy stuff. It is not real icy but hard. We are supposed to get some more tonight and or tomorrow, they don't really know how much yet. We could get 9 inches more. Even if we don't get that much, you WILL want to get someone to clear your driveway and pathways! Wolf. Bay is not frozen over in the middle as of yesterday. Good luck coming home to it!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
CanisLupusArctos

Default Snow depth map

On my Winnipesaukee WeatherCenter web site there is a menu option for "rain and snow amounts." It's near the upper part of the menu, under "Text".

When you open that page you'll find links to National Weather Service reports for various regions of New England, and underneath are two maps: Yesterday's snowfall, and current snow depth. Click to enlarge.

A little note to anyone: The snow depth map is worth saving! I can't remember the last time I saw such complete snow coverage of all the northeast, this early in the season.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
KBoater

Thanks all,
CLA I saved your site. It really is a great one.
I am getting the snow moved by snow blower or plow. Thanks for the suggestion. A new house has things to do that you don't think about.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
nj2nh

Default Map for us a little further south

Mike,

I love the snow depth map! But it makes us jealous here in Jersey.

Could you possibly provide a link to the snow depth map for a little tiny bit further south for us Jerseyans? My kids are obsessed with snow and would enjoy seeing the map for our area.

Many, many thanks,

nj2nh
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Default It aint the same

The maps come from the National Weather Service's River Forecast Center. Every region has one - ours is the Northeast center which is based out of Taunton MA. Yours is the Mid-Atlantic center, based out of State College, PA. I just looked them up online... here is the link to their page.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/

Within their page they have snowfall maps, not the same kind of map that the NE center uses- it depends of the preferences of the local webmaster.

Here's another one for nationwide. On the map you can draw a box around any area you'd like to zoom, and the map will zoom there.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Mike,

I love the snow depth map! But it makes us jealous here in Jersey.

Could you possibly provide a link to the snow depth map for a little tiny bit further south for us Jerseyans? My kids are obsessed with snow and would enjoy seeing the map for our area.

Many, many thanks,

nj2nh
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
I just found out that I have a snow bank in front of my house that is 2-3 foot high. I will have to get it cleared before I arrive. I understand more snow is a possibility. Is there any site that gives accurate snow depths for the Wolfeboro area?

Why come? Stay in the sun, are you crazy?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Weirs guy

Hey FLboater, I've gotta ask. Is your avatar from the as-seen-on-the-travel channel Christmas Boat regatta thats someplace in Florida but I can't remember where? Seems to me the boat you show was the fire breathing head swiveling sea serpent on a barge?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
KBoater

Default Lots of Boat parades in FLorida

WG
At Christmas just about every Harbor in FLorida has some kind of parade. THe one at Fort Lauderdale is the biggest I think but ours is small and hometown friendly.
DRG
The reason is kids (8 1/2, 6 1/2, 4 1/2, 2 1/4 and -5 days). Total Chaos and great fun with Santa. Plus I have to get a snow fix but I think this year it might be a bit much. 2 days to go.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
nj2nh

Default Thanks!

The second link was perfect. Thank so much. I like the one out of Taunton better. You would think they would all be the same.

My parents live within a stone's throw of Taunton so I am kind of partial to the area.

Again, thanks for your efforts. I had no luck when I went looking around the NOAA website.

nj2nh