Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
skprbob

Default Mighty Mo

In this past Thursday's (12/12) issue of the Granite State News -

Obituary for Bill Whall, aka Mighty Mo. According to the obit, he passed away back in late November at Huggins Hospital. Not a lot of detail about his service to boaters relaying VHF calls, phone messages, weather info, etc. all around the lake. He will be much missed.

RIP Mo, and thanks.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (12-14-2013), Cobalt 25 (09-19-2018), Dog's Ear (12-14-2013), gillygirl (12-15-2013), Just Sold (12-14-2013), KPW (12-14-2013), lakershaker (12-16-2013), Lakesrider (12-15-2013), Misty Blue (12-18-2013), Orion (12-14-2013), Silver Duck (12-15-2013), Skipper of the Sea Que (12-18-2013), surfnsnow (12-14-2013), Tired of Waiting (12-15-2013), trfour (12-14-2013), upthesaukee (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Yes, I was very sad to read that too. It said he volunteered for the MP. It is the end of an era on the lake. He will be missed.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Water Camper

Default Thanks Mighty Mo

Mighty Mo could always be counted on to warn boaters when a storm was coming. And we took his warnings seriously. His radio call of "Attention all boaters on Winnipesaukee ........" always caught our attention.

When we got stranded at a friend's island dock a few years ago, I called him on the radio for the tow boat number, not knowing if we would be able to get going under our own power. (We were able to use the radio, just couldn't start the boat). He provided the number and asked if we needed anything. I advised him that we would be staying the night and figuring out what was wrong in the morning as it was getting dark. He called us on the radio the next morning to see if we were okay and again, to ask if we needed anything. I've never forgotten his kindness and reassuring voice.

I'm sure he assisted many a boater on Winni and he will be missed by all.

Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
WeirsBeachBoater

RIP Mighty MO. A great man, who looked over all of us boaters. He will be missed.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Dear friend:

Mighty Mo was always there.

When my kids were out on the Lake they always had the VHF on and if they got in to a fix, and it happened often, Mighty Mo was there to get Deb's Joy or the Misty underway to bring them back home. A real guardian angle.

For those who do not know, why Mighty MO?

Bill was very proud of his service during the Korean war on the USS Missouri. I believe that he was a "ships serviceman". Sort of a taylor, cobbler, barber and basicly the guy who kept everything going. Not the guy who fired the sixteen inchers, but the guy who really made it happen.

Hence his handle, Mighty Mo.

He will be mised. God bless you Mighty Mo and I hope that there is a VHF in Heaven.

MistyBlue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Skipper of the Sea Que (12-18-2013), trfour (12-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Post Mighty Mo

He was a great asset to the area. Many years ago we chatted about the people he knew from when he worked at WBZ-TV (Boston TV-4). I was always amazed at how proficient he was at what he did as he was visually impaired. IIRC he went through a new medical procedure several years ago that restored his sight. I'll look for the News articles about Mighty MO (including the eye surgery) when I have time (and if no one else posts the links before I do).

He will be missed.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Knomad

We always looked forward to hearing Mighty Mo's voice on the VHF. We felt he was looking after us even though we never met. He will surely be missed.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
sum-r breeze

Unhappy I agree with Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Mighty Mo could always be counted on to warn boaters when a storm was coming. And we took his warnings seriously. His radio call of "Attention all boaters on Winnipesaukee ........" always caught our attention.

When we got stranded at a friend's island dock a few years ago, I called him on the radio for the tow boat number, not knowing if we would be able to get going under our own power. (We were able to use the radio, just couldn't start the boat). He provided the number and asked if we needed anything. I advised him that we would be staying the night and figuring out what was wrong in the morning as it was getting dark. He called us on the radio the next morning to see if we were okay and again, to ask if we needed anything. I've never forgotten his kindness and reassuring voice.

I'm sure he assisted many a boater on Winni and he will be missed by all.

Sue
We have been on the receiving end of the warnings from Mo and motored back ahead of some pretty nasty thunderstorms. He was always ready to help anyone who was in need. The VHS will be kind of quiet without him and he will definitely be missed. Water Camper kind of introduced us to him around 1995 and we always checked up on him during the boating season. He was a great guy with a funny sense of humor and loved the job he volunteered to do. Rest in peace old friend.... Summer Breeze is going to miss you

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
ApS

Post Eye Surgery Article from the Forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
He was a great asset to the area. Many years ago we chatted about the people he knew from when he worked at WBZ-TV (Boston TV-4). I was always amazed at how proficient he was at what he did as he was visually impaired. IIRC he went through a new medical procedure several years ago that restored his sight. I'll look for the News articles about Mighty MO (including the eye surgery) when I have time (and if no one else posts the links before I do).

He will be missed.
• The forum's link from six years ago is here.

• An article from the Citizen is quoted there, which "could not be found"; however, my recollection was that Dr. Eric Lewis, MD, determined that his sight could be restored, and the successful surgery was performed by Dr. William Marsh, MD—both of Wolfeboro.

• The link shows an indication of Mighty Mo's sense of humor in this screenshot:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote