Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
modio

Default Jilly's Bistro

Has anyone else noticed this at the intersection in Lakeport? It's where Liberty Antiques was. It's not open...
modio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
modio

I just wanted to ask again... There are chairs and tables inside...
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Overlake97

Default Looks open

Last week they had a "taking applications" sign on the door, and now it appear they have hours posted. Not sure they're officially open, but it looks like that's about to happen (if not already).

UPDATE: They're open. I drove by again today and they had an OPEN FLAG, so I went in just to look at the menu. The place was larger/wider than I'd expected, with polished wood floors, a small bar right against the back wall and 12 to 15 tables/booths. They're doing lunch and dinner (no breakfast), and gave me a paper menu to take home. One party of two was eating in a booth, but otherwise very quiet. I think they said they'd been open since Monday (Aug 26).

Last edited by Overlake97; 08-29-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add the update
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
modio (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Reilly

Default Great Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Last week they had a "taking applications" sign on the door, and now it appear they have hours posted. Not sure they're officially open, but it looks like that's about to happen (if not already).

UPDATE: They're open. I drove by again today and they had an OPEN FLAG, so I went in just to look at the menu. The place was larger/wider than I'd expected, with polished wood floors, a small bar right against the back wall and 12 to 15 tables/booths. They're doing lunch and dinner (no breakfast), and gave me a paper menu to take home. One party of two was eating in a booth, but otherwise very quiet. I think they said they'd been open since Monday (Aug 26).
Had lunch there today, good food, good service, nice atmosphere, I think they will do well
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
modio

What's on the menu?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Winnisquamguy

I read this article in the Laconia Daily Sun a few days ago.

Quote:
LACONIA — Dave Perry, proprietor and chef at Jilly's Bistro, can trace the opening of the city's newest eatery back to an unhappy event that occurred in 2007: an accident that ended his career as a construction worker.
"I had a tree fall on top of me," he said, grimacing. Injuries from the incident required him to hang up his tools for several years while his body healed from both the accident and the several surgeries aimed at relieving the discomfort which he still experiences. However, Perry, who served in the U.S. Army during the Operation Desert Storm, wasn't content with life in a recliner. "I started dabbling in some courses at Lakes Region Community College, next thing I know, I started on my path to getting my degree in culinary arts."
A native of Lowell, Mass. who moved to Ossipee about a decade ago, Perry signed up for a cooking class on a whim. He was shocked by how much he enjoyed the program. "To me, it was more like hanging out and having fun everyday than like going to school... The staff there is just awesome."
"I really didn't think that I would end up hanging around long enough to get my degree," continued Perry. "I was constantly amazed at what I was learning, how much there really is to know, how much is involved in this industry."
While Perry was sharpening his culinary skills, his father happened to pass through Lakeport Square and noticed that the building at 777 Union Avenue was for sale. He decided the price was too good to pass, and so he purchased the property. The building had once been a five and dime store, more recently was an antique shop, and was not ready to be a restaurant when Perry first set foot inside. Since 2008, Perry and his friends from his construction days have been effecting a transformation to what it is now. The polished floorboards and tin ceiling hint at the building's history but Perry's hard work is evident elsewhere. The result is a Boston-themed sports bar, one that Perry said reminds him of his favorite haunts of his younger days.
"When I first started, I really didn't know what I wanted it to be," said Perry. He had spent hours upon hours traveling through Laconia, collecting menus and tallying the various types of eateries nearby. He had interned under chef Scott Ouellette at Canoe in Center Harbor, and with Oullette's O Steak and Seafood restaurant, he knew he didn't want to compete in the fine dining arena. He knew he wanted a hardwood bar in the center of the dining room, though, and it was when he was working on that project that his vision began to take shape. "It got me thinking of places I went to growing up in Lowell, the sports bars there, things I really enjoyed."
The menu he created matches the venue: onion rings, wings, steak and cheese subs. There's some signature touches, too. Perry was stationed in New Orleans for part of his military service, and his muffaletta sandwich and deep-fried pickles came back with him. He expects his hamburger, featuring a patty of chuck mixed with brisket, will become a favorite on his menu. Sandwiches are served with house-made potato chips. At Jilly's, Perry thinks he's offering something that didn't previously exist, a neighborhood spot for a sandwich and a ball game. "I wanted people to feel like they could afford to come in here, watch a game, eat some bar food... It's blue-collar, that's what I like about it. It's not anything fancy, especially with the way the economy is. I want people to be able to stop in and eat with their kids."
Jilly's Bistro, which Perry named after his sister, is open Thursday through Monday, from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...r-for-lakeport
modio (09-08-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Lyver

Default Check out Jilly's Bistro

Went in last Sunday to check out Jilly's, great establishment. They have done a really nice job inside, high ceilings, great bar, friendly staff. Went in with some friends and sat at the bar.

Geoff was our bartender and they had Angry Orchard Hard Cider on tap for $3!!!! Served with a nice brown sugar rim, it was perfect! For food we did fried pickles to start. They were served was whole spears and came out hot. I love pickles and these were a great appetizer. For lunch I got a veggie wrap, and my friends got the caprese grilled cheese and some type of steam bomb. The veggie wrap was good, but after having a bite of the caprese grilled cheese sandwich, I will go back just for that! The steak bomb sub was huge and my buddy ended up having to wrap the second half up to go. All meals were served with our choice of fries or house made potato chips, which were also excellent.

Very reasonable prices, I think the total bill was around $40 for the 3 of us to eat with 2 rounds of drinks, apps and lunch. Parking wasn't an issue, but if business picks up, it could potentially be an issue. There is parking available at the back of O's, just walk up the stairs to the WOW Trail and cross the street to get to Jilly's.

Definitely will be going back, don't know of any other business in the area that had Angry Orchard on tap, that alone is worth it!
Lyver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lyver For This Useful Post:
bclaker (11-15-2013), BroadHopper (09-17-2013), modio (09-12-2013), Overlake97 (09-14-2013), RLW (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
GYC-GUY

Have been there twice. Food drinks and service was great!! They really did a nice job fixing the place up. Way to go Jilly B'S
GYC-GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Closed?

Looks like Jilly's may have closed. Does anyone have any information?
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
magicrobotmonkey

My wife and I happened to drive by during dinner time both of the last two Thursdays and noticed the lights off both times.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Closed tonight as well.

We went to O's tonight for supper, 6:00 reservation, and left around 7:30. Stopped at the lights at Union Ave and looked over at Jilly's; it was in total darkness. Too bad...I fear the lack of easy parking may have hurt them.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
Reilly

surgery for the owner ,at a bad time, will reopen
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
magicrobotmonkey (11-18-2013), Overlake97 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
surgery for the owner ,at a bad time, will reopen
Thank you. It is good to hear it won't be closed for good. Hopefully, his recover will be speedy.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
livenh

Default Jilly's Closed

Jilly's, after taking over 2 years to open, has apparently closed its doors.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Jilly's

This is sad. I have not patronize the business yet because of the limited hours. Perhaps someone can take over and turn it into a nice bakery, donut shop which the town is seriously lacking. Like Goody Good or Laflamme's Bakery of the past.

With the 405 down the street and the soon to open Irish Pub downtown, competition for a bar and grill will be tense.

With all the mud slinging going on at the DD shop down the street, this will be the way to go.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Default I think you missed post #12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livenh View Post
Jilly's, after taking over 2 years to open, has apparently closed its doors.

Owner had surgery and will reopen.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
This is sad. I have not patronize the business yet because of the limited hours. Perhaps someone can take over and turn it into a nice bakery, donut shop which the town is seriously lacking. Like Goody Good or Laflamme's Bakery of the past.

With the 405 down the street and the soon to open Irish Pub downtown, competition for a bar and grill will be tense.

With all the mud slinging going on at the DD shop down the street, this will be the way to go.
Perhaps you also missed post #12. The owner had surgery and hopes to open again.

I hope to try it once he reopens...Certainly we can all patronize several establishments. Living in the town of Alton, while I may have a particular favorite in town, I feel that I should support all the businesses I can, unless I just do not like the food.