Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Senter Cove Guy

Default A Post From The Old Forum

I came across something today that I had tucked away awhile ago and have decided I now want to followup on it. Sometime just prior to 06/06/2000, a poster called Susie, posted the following:

"I took some underwater pictures off an island we were anchored at. While snorkeling, I found the most interesting rock formations. One was a large arrow pointing toward shore. I followed the direction it was pointing in and found another one that looked like a grave marker. It was stones piled up with one large, smooth, long stone on top pointing toward another part of the shoreline. I followed in that direction and found the most interesting one of all. It was a big "X" made of stones with a tall stone in the middle pointing in another direction. I didn't find anything more but conversed with the state on these interesting formations. They were fascinated and were going to do research on them..The camera I used was just an inexpensive disposable underwater camera and it took fantastic pictures."

Does anyone remember this post? Does anyone know where this location is? Susie, are you still out there?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
RLW

This thread sounds very interesting and something that someone that likes diving would love to find the location. You may be lucky and someone will be able to answer your questions.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
michael c

Default Diving the arrows

I am a PADI certified diver . Having grown up on the lake, coming here at 2 months old in 1951, I would be very interested in this dive. I hope someone can connect here . I would love to dive it . the only dives I have been on are wrecks in the British Virgin Islands so this would be a great opportunity,,Please tell us more ! we could make a day [ or 2 ] of it .
Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Faintly remember.....

the post. I'm sure the webmaster can retreive it from the archive.

Bear in mind that the lake was a lot lower many moons ago before the dam was built. I have found field stone fences under water in places that was shallow. Cattle Landing was only a couple of feet deep and allows cattle to travel between the island and the mainland. The Weirs Channel was a small river between Winnipesaukee and 'Lake Paugus'.

EONS ago, the lake was much higher. There was a land mass in Lakeport that cause the water to flow from Alton Bay to the ocean. The was a thread on this and a booklet written. The booklet can be seen in the Laconia Public Library.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Here's the link to the original thread in the archive: http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=12033

At the time Suzie sent me the pictures below for posting in these threads:

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=12434
http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=12435
http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=12436

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
the post. I'm sure the webmaster can retreive it from the archive.

Bear in mind that the lake was a lot lower many moons ago before the dam was built. I have found field stone fences under water in places that was shallow. Cattle Landing was only a couple of feet deep and allows cattle to travel between the island and the mainland. The Weirs Channel was a small river between Winnipesaukee and 'Lake Paugus'.

EONS ago, the lake was much higher. There was a land mass in Lakeport that cause the water to flow from Alton Bay to the ocean. The was a thread on this and a booklet written. The booklet can be seen in the Laconia Public Library.
LOL, Broadhopper! Eons ago was much longer than many moons ago, huh? I like that. Actually on my family's property, you can tell where the water used to go when it was higher. It was much higher. I have always wondered when exactly that was. I think it was in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Do you know? And when was many moons when it was much lower?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
snowbird

Default Underwater signs

We have curious symbols in the shallow waters [6-8'] off our island property----all done by those we know. I call it underwater graffiti. But, in your example, it may have been down by Captain Kidd. Who knows?

Last edited by snowbird; 10-05-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: error
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
sa meredith

Default sort of freash

I'm looking at these photots, and although I find the thread intriguing, am I right to say the piles of stones, and arrow, seem very very "fresh"? Like, maybe less than a month old? If they indeed have been there for any period of time, many of the rocks would be submerged in the sand, and certainly the lines that make the arrow would no longer be perfectly straight. And, look at the rocks in the third photo. That is a large x (or t, depending on how you look at it), and every single rock, every one, looks like it was placed there moments ago. None of the rocks are even stightly covered by sand. All are resting like they been there for a very short time.
Just my opinion. Perhaps the photo taker was also the artist?????
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Water Camper

Default Underwater Formations

My wife, Sue is the individual who reported these formations and took the pictures. She DID NOT create these formations.

We used to anchor off the west side of 5 Mile Island, which is where we found these formations. We haven't been back to that site in a couple of years, but I don't typically see people anchored in that area as you have to navigate carefully, many rocks.

I can be more specific as the location, if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Senter Cove Guy

Default Please provide specifics.

Thanks for your response Water Camper. I am interested in seeing these rock formations and in diving and looking for others that may be there. Please provide as much specific information as you can regarding the location. It's a long boat ride for me to get there so I'd like to be able to hit the mark from the getgo.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lakeport 'Cleft'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
LOL, Broadhopper! Eons ago was much longer than many moons ago, huh? I like that. Actually on my family's property, you can tell where the water used to go when it was higher. It was much higher. I have always wondered when exactly that was. I think it was in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Do you know? And when was many moons when it was much lower?
The book says it was prehistoric. Possible after the last Ice Age. The White Oaks section of the Weirs was an island. As the the old lake shore railroad bed between Glendale and Lakeport area was underwater. Merrymeeting River section was the outflow into the ocean.

There is a thread posted as to when the Lakeport dam was built. I believe it was built by the Lowell Mass. mill owners to make sure there was a constant supply of water.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Water Camper

Default Under Water Formations

Senter Cove Guy,

Its been several years since I've been into this location. Approaching 5 Mile Island from the West, I would keep the Red Marker, that is just South of Buoy # 57, about 15' to 20' off my Port Side as I entered this area. I remember the bottom being like a bowl, shallow to the North, and East toward the island. Once in the area I would usually back to the edge of the bowl so we could exit the boat in shallow water at the bowl's edge, only a few feet deep. The formations are about in the center of this bowl. I have rarely seen anyone else in this area.

I could show you easier than it is to describe, but I will not be back up to the lake until this weekend.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Senter Cove Guy

Default Thank You

Thanks so much for the specifics. Unfortunately, I took my boat out of the water last weekend so I won't be looking for anything until next summer. You can be sure that Grant and I will make a point of checking things out next summer. I hope we can report back that we've found even more than the three formations in the pictures. The size of the vertically standing rocks seems impressive. Can't wait to get a look at them.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Grant

I suppose the lack of silt, sand, etc., covering the formations could be influenced by their location. It could depend on the bottom composition. Parts of the Lake are all glacial till, while others are sand, others are 'muck' and others are solid rock. And there is certainly more current in some parts of the Lake, too. I've found really old stuff right on the bottom, plainly visible, and also have dug in the muck to find relatively new beer bottles.

Still, these are cool photos. Reminds me of the little rock piles I would make while snorkeling as a kid (they are still there!). More recently, I've taken to leaving markers in a line at 20-24 feet along the bottom in front of our place. They tell me when I've arrived back in front of the dock. Currently, the collection consists of an old copper kettle (with bullet holes), a wine bottle, a beer bottle, and an old rubber bucket. If you're diving along at 20 feet and come across these items, head dead East and stop in for a malted beverage.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
Water Camper

Default Senter Cove Guy

Hi Senter Cove Guy. Susie (Sue) here! I located the original photos I took of the rock formations. I hadn't looked at them since my original post. There are several shots of each, taken at different angles and a possible 4th formation. I also have a shot of the island as we were approaching or leaving it. I can show you exactly where to look for the formations from this photo. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Senter Cove Guy

Default I'm Interested

The more information, the better. Feel free to post whatever information you are comfortable with here on the forum and/or send me a private message which I will promptly respond to. I wish I had found the copy I saved of your original post earlier this summer so I wouldn't have to wait until next summer to go looking.