Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Blue Thunder

Default Sledding in the slush

I have been a snowmobile owner for about 5 years. I do a lot of lake riding. I don't seem to have what it takes to "go" in the slush. I'm appealing to the experts here as to the proper method of operating the sled in significant slush. Both of my sleds are 2ups, a 570 Artic Cat and a 700 Ski-Doo GT. I've tried leaning forward, leaning backward, feathering the throttle, wide open throttle, nothing seems to be the "right method". I nearly got stuck today and it wasn't a good feeling. Thoughts and experiences???

Blue Thunder
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Probably, a sled like the Ski-doo Scandic Tundra with a single cylinder 280cc engine, 450lb light weight, and wide track would do better in soft, slushy snow. Instead of digging into the slush, you'd be styl'n along on top of the crud in a low end, air-cooled sled.

And, if that don't work, then maybe a kayak and paddle, could be good on the slush.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I have been a snowmobile owner for about 5 years. I do a lot of lake riding. I don't seem to have what it takes to "go" in the slush. I'm appealing to the experts here as to the proper method of operating the sled in significant slush. Both of my sleds are 2ups, a 570 Artic Cat and a 700 Ski-Doo GT. I've tried leaning forward, leaning backward, feathering the throttle, wide open throttle, nothing seems to be the "right method". I nearly got stuck today and it wasn't a good feeling. Thoughts and experiences???

Blue Thunder
Just hold the throttle to the bar and wait for the piston to pop

Not sure there is a method, I have 2 sleds and one is much better than the other. I only ride the slush when I have to, my advise is generally stay out of it
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
ITD

Do you have picks in the tracks?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Blue Thunder

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Do you have picks in the tracks?
Yes, both tracks are picked.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Blue Thunder
I'm curious as to where you were sledding and how much slush you were hitting. Were they "pockets" of slush? I was on Little Squam, Big Squam, Kanasatka and Winnipesaukee yesterday. The Squams were AWESOME. Winni was not that great. But I did notice that Winni had quite a bit of slushy spots. Center Harbor was ok but when you hit the Meredith, Weirs area it got slushy and I heard it was worse further south. Anyway I'm asking specifically because I'd be curious as to how fast you were traveling before you hit the slush. Derby weekend there were SEVERAL slush pockets from Meredith to Alton. You can see them far enough away that (what I do) you power up before you hit them and essentially skim them. If I was traveling say 45 MPH and I saw a slush spot coming I'd throttle up and "power through it." I ride a non-picked 07 Polaris IQ touring 2 up. I had a passenger on the back, not sure if this helped or hurt?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I'm curious as to where you were sledding and how much slush you were hitting. Were they "pockets" of slush? I was on Little Squam, Big Squam, Kanasatka and Winnipesaukee yesterday. The Squams were AWESOME. Winni was not that great. But I did notice that Winni had quite a bit of slushy spots. Center Harbor was ok but when you hit the Meredith, Weirs area it got slushy and I heard it was worse further south. Anyway I'm asking specifically because I'd be curious as to how fast you were traveling before you hit the slush. Derby weekend there were SEVERAL slush pockets from Meredith to Alton. You can see them far enough away that (what I do) you power up before you hit them and essentially skim them. If I was traveling say 45 MPH and I saw a slush spot coming I'd throttle up and "power through it." I ride a non-picked 07 Polaris IQ touring 2 up. I had a passenger on the back, not sure if this helped or hurt?
Hazelnut,

I was on my home turf, Sebago Lake, in Maine. Winnie and Sebago are eerily similar when it comes to conditions like that although yesterday the slush was widespread and deep to the point that I assumed I was hydroplaning (??) I tried slow speed first, 20-25mph, that didn't work so I tried to speed up and the best I could do was 40mph. The machine overrevved and the track just spun. I became so bogged down that I was really concerned that I would get stuck (in 6 inches of slush). I'm just looking to others for some fundamentals that I may be missing. I was crossing an area of the lake called the "gut" which is 8 tenths of a mile wide. Thanks for the response.

BT
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
XCR-700

You intentionally rode on slush???

I really dont think anyone would recommend that.

I you have no choice but to cross a small patch, then try to get up to a good speed 30 - 40 MPH and maintain throttle until your out of it.

If you find your riding on snow covered slush just try your best to ride out and get off on to a solid surface ASAP.

If you have to speed up, do so very gently or you will loose what traction you have and just spin the track.

Well that’s my 2 cents.

George
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
hazelnut

BT,

If the entire surface of the lake or the entire width of the area you were crossing were slush I think you'd be advised not to even go there. I do believe you are correct in being worried about getting stuck. I would be too. If Winni had more that just occasional pockets of slush I would have headed for shore.

If it's pockets of slush I think some pretty good advice was given here. Good Luck out there!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote