Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #101
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
... Meredith is a big ? ...

As you are facing inland from the lake, go to the street corner on the right. Walk up the hill two blocks and go left. It is a small building on the right hand side of the street. It's easily a quarter mile walk. I estimate that to be just barely not close enough for someone with a fast digestive track.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #102
RailroadJoe

A quarter mile! It faster to go to the Mill. They have them about 1 flight up.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #103
jrc

Wow, I've been coming to the lake for decades and never remember seeing someone standing up and peeing off a boat. I'm sure people pee in the lake all the time and everywhere but there is something extra rude about unzipping, exposing yourself and peeing in the lake.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #104
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Another coincidence.. My neighbor just told me he saw someone going in the lake today and it was the first time he has ever seen it. Maybe it is an epidemic.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #105
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
A video of them using the lake and then posted on YOUTUBE might help. Of course, then you have the legal problem if they talk, because you did not get their permission. Either way I would have taken pictures and given them to the MP.
Not a good idea. Even if folks are doing things beyond the realm of common sense, other folks will tell,you it's none of your business.

(lol...)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #106
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Wow, I've been coming to the lake for decades and never remember seeing someone standing up and peeing off a boat. I'm sure people pee in the lake all the time and everywhere but there is something extra rude about unzipping, exposing yourself and peeing in the lake.
I sometimes see people pee in the lake as they go through the NWZ. Last year a young man went slowly by our place while he stood on the swim platform and relieved himself in the water. He was swinging his hips back and forth and really enjoying himself. We took his picture, got the bow number and called Marine Patrol. He was taken into custody and ended up before a judge getting a $500 fine and a record that will follow him all of his life.

In truth he was lucky because he could have been charged with exposing himself and that means "Registered Sex Offender".

Public urination is a crime.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-20-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-20-2012), RailroadJoe (08-20-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #107
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I sometimes see people pee in the lake as they go through the NWZ. Last year a young man went slowly by our place while he stood on the swim platform and relieved himself in the water. He was swinging his hips back and forth and really enjoying himself. We took his picture, got the bow number and called Marine Patrol. He was taken into custody and ended up before a judge getting a $500 fine and a record that will follow him all of his life.

In truth he was lucky because he could have been charged with exposing himself and that means "Registered Sex Offender".

Every now and then the system does work.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #108
no-engine

In ocean with no coast or boats in sight, is one thing, but this is indescribable!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #109
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Speaking Of The Ocean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
In ocean with no coast or boats in sight, is one thing, but this is indescribable!
Be thankful there's no cruise ships on Winni!

"According to Oceana (an organization whose mission is to protect the world's oceans}, the cruise-ship industry dumps 255,000 gallons of gray water and 30,000 gallons of black water into the ocean every day. The United States allows cruise ships to dump untreated sewage into the water as long as the ship is 3 miles away from shore. If the cruise ship treats the sewage, the 3-mile restriction does not count, and the sewage can be dumped anywhere. Alaska is the only place within United States waters that does not allow dumping."
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #110
Rusty

Quote:
not

Not to say that you were wrong by turning this guy in, but I couldn't do that to him because I know that he could be on the "Registered Sex Offender" list. As it turned out he has a record that will probably follow him for the rest of his life. I just couldn't ruin a young man's life that way.
What would I have done? Probably called the guy an idiot and hoped that he would not do that again in my presence.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #111
NoBozo

I can sympathize totally with the posters above. But when Nature calls..are you expected to HOLD It ..and explode..?? NB

PS: The perps in front of RGs place might be responsive to a faulty ice circulator..with a stray current problem. Maybe RG could rig up something so he could flip a switch when the perps come back..they probably will because RG reacted to them....Even a guy peeing into the lake would feel a "Tingle" going up his leg..through the stream.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #112
Lakegeezer

There are over 500 billion gallons of water in lake Winnipesaukee. Pee is 95% water. The non-water content of a generous quart of "contribution" is about one part in 40 trillion. The biggest chemical problem in the lake, Phosphorus, is measured in parts per billion, and pee has only a trace. Few enjoy watching others answering to the call of nature and it may be illegal, but the lake will not really notice.
Rusty (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #113
Lake Fan

“I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.” ― W.C. Fields

...and what about all those geese, ducks, loons, turtles, snakes, moose, deer, etc. that swim around in the lake?

Everyone out of the pool!
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #114
secondcurve

Quote:

In the old days the young man would have gotten a strong talking to by a law enforcement officer and maybe a weekend of community service. He likely would have remembered the painful lesson and shaped up. Now as you state he will have a record. I'm not sure this outcome improves the end result but I'm glad it makes you feel good.

I don't disagree that public urination can be disgusting and I certainly recoil when I see younger folks making spectacles of themselves. However, I have learned to take a deep breath and reflect back upon my youth and to some of the things that I did back then that I wish I hadn't.

Finally, if public urination is a crime I'd like to know if there is any man out there, including you Bear Islander, who can plead innocent to this "crime"?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (08-20-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #115
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Fishermen can retrieve all the lures they want on my dock, but I don’t think that peeing in the lake right in front of my house comes even close to reasonable etiquette.
1) This weekend, I observed a kid—with mixed company on board—kneeling on the swim platform to pee.
If your boat has a swim platform, you should have a toilet on board—and be using it.

2) "We share the lake"—and everything in it.

3) Near me, 100± acres of grass is irrigated with phosphorus-laden lakewater: when the lawn is fertilized, the newly-concentrated mix gets redistributed back into the lake through surface waters.

4) ...and "Beer is only rented"...

5) Ever notice when things quiet down—like late on this past Sunday afternoon—the sea gulls move in?
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #116
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
In the old days the young man would have gotten a strong talking to by a law enforcement officer and maybe a weekend of community service. He likely would have remembered the painful lesson and shaped up. Now as you state he will have a record. I'm not sure this outcome improves the end result but I'm glad it makes you feel good.

I don't disagree that public urination can be disgusting and I certainly recoil when I see younger folks making spectacles of themselves. However, I have learned to take a deep breath and reflect back upon my youth and to some of the things that I did back then that I wish I hadn't.

Finally, if public urination is a crime I'd like to know if there is any man out there, including you Bear Islander, who can plead innocent to this "crime"?
1. In the old days people cared about others. Not the case now a day as some of today's youth would just as soon shoot you as look at you.
2. More and more you hear about repeat offenders.
3. There is big difference between urinating in private and making a show of it in front of people and not caring.
First of all let me say I pee in the lake every time I'm out on it. Weather they say so or not probably 90% of boaters do at some time if not regularly, I do not think that is the issue here. Getting up and doing it within easy sight of houses and possible children is. As you mentioned most probably do it but we don't do it without making sure no one can see us. I carry a bottle from the hospital on my boat for day use and dump it. At night or in the middle of the broads with no one around is not an issue.
Once again it is the difference between using common sense and having no common sense.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #117
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
There's a significant number of properties that aren't part of a funnel development, that don't live in McMansions, that don't fertilize grass to the water's edge, and are maintained by families that have been here for generations. These folks do a good job of it.
We're just passing through. I agree that "steward" is a good term. I hope my kids are able to hang on to our lakefront property and it's enjoyed by our descendants for a very long time...

If not them, than some other family who will appreciate it...
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #118
holeinthewall

Default Lack of Etiquette

From my vantage point, we see this behavior over and over again. People come through the hole in the wall headed south, apparently realize they have a ways to go and a person will either stand on the swim platform (male) or squat and relieve themselves. If they are close enough I will yell something like " HEY I DRINK THAT WATER!" I don't really but most of these boats are big enough to have a marine toilet and they should be using it.
holeinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #119
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I am innocent of this crime.

645:1-a Public Urination or Defecation. A person is guilty of a violation if such person urinates or defecates in a public place, other than a public restroom, under circumstances where the person knew or should have known would likely cause affront or alarm to another.

I will add that I only decided to press charges after I was informed that all six occupants of the boat in question signed a statement saying that it never happened. If they had owned up to it I would have dropped it. The Marine Patrol officer didn't tell them about the picture until after they had signed.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #120
KonaChick

After he was taken into custody was it up to you to "drop it" or was it up to the State of NH at that point? I agree it's disgusting and at your vantage point on the lake you must see quite a bit that the rest of us do not. I do not agree however with the turn this could have taken. The prosecutor decided to agree to lesser charges obviously but if he had not this young man's life could have been ruined permanently because of one bad choice. I'm not making excuses for his horrible behavior but if he had been labeled a registered sex offender because of it then the punishment would not have fit the crime and IMHO the system did not work!!

It's a moot point because it did not happen but could have, according to you. I would not want that on my conscience for the rest of my life. Your life goes on unaffected but this young man's life could have been damaged to the point of no return because of one bad decision. Once again, I do not agree with his behavior.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KonaChick For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (08-21-2012), ishoot308 (08-21-2012), secondcurve (08-21-2012), Winnisquamguy (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #121
NoBozo

I'm actually more annoyed that ALL six people LIED and then swore to it......than someone peeing in the lake. So TWO mistakes were made. Doing the deed and then lying about it. NB
Old 08-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #122
NoRegrets

Laws are laws and I for one believe we have way too many of them. Many third world cultures behave like this. Are we heading toward that level of society? Nature cannot be stopped and when she calls action must be taken. I was brought up to be discrete and put up with a little pain if necessary.

The lack of respect that BI caught is wrong based on the values my parents gave me. The values that are now being infused into our society reflect the disrespect of a younger and more informed generation. I guess my parents were alarmed with the hippies of the 60's and 70's. Now we are witnessing a new norm.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #123
jrc

I think the word etiquette applies. Today people believe:

If it's not illlegal then I can do it,
if it is illegal, I can do it if I don't get caught,
if I do get caught I can deny it,
if I get punished someone will feel sorry me and let me off the hook.

No one ever asks, should I do this, or how would I feel if someone did it to me?

That's civility and etiquette, you can't legislate it, parents and society has to teach it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #124
NoBozo

Quote:

No one ever asks, should I do this, or how would I feel if someone did it to me?

That's civility and etiquette, you can't legislate it, parents and society has to teach it.
"I didn't do it..Nobody saw me do it..You can't prove anything.".....Bart Simpson. NB
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #125
Lakegeezer

Quote:

Etiquette standards change per generation and it is hard for the geezers to know what the new normal is. When I was young, long hair was not proper etiquette, nor was wearing jeans on an airplane trip. Things change.

I'd like to think that whizzing off the back of a boat in public isn't today's normal. However, lack of respect for some laws makes sense. Specifically, the laws bought by the wealthiest 1% and corporations, to keep the other 99% from bothering them or reducing their profits. Here on the lake, we see this in the form of no-wake, no-jetski and no rafting zones along with a speed limit. Each has wealthy contributors behind it. The balance comes from the fact that most law enforcement are part of the 99% too and will often let you off with a warning when scoffing at the 1% laws.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #126
jrc

Really, you got bullship political talking points out of what I wrote?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #127
secondcurve

"I am innocent of this crime".

I should have realized you were above it all!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #128
ApS

Default ..."no urinating against the building"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
"...Laws are laws and I for one believe we have way too many of them. Many third world cultures behave like this..."
Boy, have we strayed......but while we're adrift...

It's not waterfront—nor New Hampshire—but Third-World "etiquette" is already next door!
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #129
Belmont Resident

Default Sewer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Braun Bay, anybody? Ever notice that the water there seems to have a different "tint" than the rest of the lake?
Braun Bay has no water flow what so ever. So on any given W/E it is a good bet that the water far exceeds the bacteria count they shut down beaches for.
Years ago a friend that has lab access took a sample from Braun Bay to be tested. That was the last year I visited Braun Bay on a weekend.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #130
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Braun Bay has no water flow what so ever. So on any given W/E it is a good bet that the water far exceeds the bacteria count they shut down beaches for.
Years ago a friend that has lab access took a sample from Braun Bay to be tested. That was the last year I visited Braun Bay on a weekend.
The water does look a little tinted in this video of Braun Bay Labor Day Weekend 2011:

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #131
RailroadJoe

And you all call that fun! I can think of a dozen places i would rather be then have that many people around me on such a huge lake to enjoy.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-22-2012)
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #132
Bucktail

Default So what is it?

I pulled this from a post where you castigated me for calling MP:

LawnPsycho:
Break up what rafts? It's actually quite rare to see boats tied together on Winni and is much more the exception than the rule.

Based on your post, I have to question if your goal is reduce noise or to discourage other boaters from using the lake (a public body of water) via heavy handed actions by the Marine Patrol?

Luckily for the most part the MP has not acted heavy handed but if they did, I think it would actually work counter too your goal. If MP starts looking for every tiny infraction it would not be long before the backlash started.

That same guy you want to sweep away also paid for his boat, slip, hotels, registration, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Just be aware, people like me have taken notice to this kind of behavior.
Some of use even have some good video/audio equipment on board.

Net result: I file a complaint with Marine patrol. If I return and you do it again, I file a protection from harassment with the court. Not so funny now is it?
Bucktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #133
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktail View Post
I pulled this from a post where you castigated me for calling MP:

LawnPsycho:
Break up what rafts? It's actually quite rare to see boats tied together on Winni and is much more the exception than the rule.

Based on your post, I have to question if your goal is reduce noise or to discourage other boaters from using the lake (a public body of water) via heavy handed actions by the Marine Patrol?

Luckily for the most part the MP has not acted heavy handed but if they did, I think it would actually work counter too your goal. If MP starts looking for every tiny infraction it would not be long before the backlash started.

That same guy you want to sweep away also paid for his boat, slip, hotels, registration, etc.
Bucktail, I believe you've misunderstood his post. You may want to reread it and the post he was referring to.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #134
MDoug

Default Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm actually more annoyed that ALL six people LIED and then swore to it......than someone peeing in the lake. So TWO mistakes were made. Doing the deed and then lying about it. NB
Lucky that the fellow didn't hire a Georgia lawyer and sue for having a photo taken of him and thus violating his right to privacy!
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #135
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I recently had a fisherman get his lure snagged on a bush on my shore front. He docked his boat at my dock. Got out, walked on my shore to retrieve his lure.

Very unacceptable. That lure should have become mine!
I think he was lured ashore....
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #136
gtxrider

Default relief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
Sorry, no. I didn't mean to say that all ice fisherman litter. The boat ramp near my home often has a bunch of beer cans strewn about at the end of the weekend. I will attest to that.
Certainly not everyone does it, but there are some that do :-(

I don't ice fish, but seriously...where does one pee when ice fishing??

DEPENDS
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #137
Newbiesaukee

Default Gtxrider....

.....best reply ever

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #138
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post