Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Dave M

Default Speed Limit for boats?

Trying to find out if there's a speed limit on the Lake or in certain parts of the Lake this year. Have searched but haven't been able to found an answer.

Thanks Dave M
Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Trying to find out if there's a speed limit on the Lake or in certain parts of the Lake this year. Have searched but haven't been able to found an answer.

Thanks Dave M
You seem too nice to be a troll... Do a search, there are a couple of low-volume threads that make mention of speed limits once or twice
Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
codeman671

I heard there was a permanent, high speed zone around Bear Island. Drink beer, play loud music and make a lot of wake.

On a more serious note, there is no speed limit at this time. This may or may not change pending current legislation. Current bills if passed would take effect January 2009.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
hazelnut

Quote:

Thanks Dave M

Dave M, No offense but this post is hilarious. It's sort of like walking into a bar after a brawl and asking did I miss anything exciting? Essentially the Speed Limit is the hottest of hot buttons on the forum and it has been discussed to death. If you search even a tiny bit you'll find the info you are looking for.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Dave M

I just wanted to ask a simple question expecting a simple answer, like codeman671 replied. My brother-in-law asked me knowing I look at the forum. He thought something had passed, thought I'd find out. I just couldn't find it through all that has been written. Noting more than that. Sorry if everybody thought I was spinning up, I know its a hot topic.

Have a good day.

Dave M
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Alleged accurate sources say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Dave M, No offense but this post is hilarious. It's sort of like walking into a bar after a brawl and asking did I miss anything exciting? Essentially the Speed Limit is the hottest of hot buttons on the forum and it has been discussed to death. If you search even a tiny bit you'll find the info you are looking for.
If you look at the Duncan Press (green map) website today, you will find that they claim 2 active speed limit zones on Winnie. ANd they claim to be accurate.

Duncan Press Corrections Page lists both the Rattlesnake Island area and the Bear Island stretch as current speed limit zones. No mention about the temporary nature of those test zones.

Maybe Duncan Press knows something we don't but I doubt it. On their Safety Tips page they still claim that there are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Press Web site
free boating safety course offered by the Coast Guard. Sessions are held on a regular schedule at the Marine Patrol headquarters in Gilford.
However no one at MP HQ knows anything about the Coast Guard courses. Duncan Press Safety Tips. That page also falsely claims that you must stay 150' away from ANY object. A good idea but not accurate (as we have seen - rocks, nav aids and water skiers starting from shore are not subject to the 150' restriction).

There are other inaccurate or peculiar claims on the Duncan Press web site that I'll get in to in another thread. For instance, no coordinates on added markers in Sally's Gut, Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Press Website
Since 2004 there have been 3 buoys added: #101 black, #102 red, #103 black. Waypoints aren't allowed.
Who decides which are or are not Allowed Waypoints? I'll save my Duncan Press web site discussion for another thread.

My point, don't blame Dave M for asking the question when some sources claim that there are still speed limits in effect on the Lake.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 03-25-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: add a P.S.: Reasonable speeds and what SIKSUKR says in the next message.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Default The answer is YES YES YES

Quote:

Thanks Dave M
Actually the answer is YES.There are limits that have been in effect for many many years.Multiple no-wake zones and the only other one that is needed:headway speed when within 150 ft of other craft and land and bridges.So the answer is YES,there has been speed limits on Winni for a loooong time already!

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 03-26-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Gilligan

Question Still looking for public docks in Sanders Bay shown on the Duncan Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
Maybe Duncan Press knows something we don't but I doubt it. {snip}.
There are other inaccurate or peculiar claims on the Duncan Press web site that I'll get in to in another thread. {snip} I'll save my Duncan Press web site discussion for another thread.
Has anyone found the public dock in Sanders Bay shown on the latest edition of the Duncan map? You might want to check that out too.

Somewhere on the lake I thought I saw 6 m.p.h. speed limit signs. Anyone remember where those signs are?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
The Big Kahuna

Default NO there is not

Quote:

Thanks Dave M
Dave, there is currently no speed limit on the lake. There are areas where you must slow down to no wake speed, and when approaching another boat within less than 150 ft., that should be no wake speed as well. Speeds should be judged by what is resonable and prudent according to the conditions, by the boats driver/captain. The faster you go should be a factor in the decisions you make.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Seeker

Quote:
I just wanted to ask a simple question expecting a simple answer, like codeman671 replied. My brother-in-law asked me knowing I look at the forum. He thought something had passed, thought I'd find out. I just couldn't find it through all that has been written. Noting more than that. Sorry if everybody thought I was spinning up, I know its a hot topic.

Have a good day.

Dave M
Dave,
The speed limit bill did pass the house and was sent to the senate but no vote yet from them and then the governor would have to sign it into law.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
GWC...

Quote:

Thanks Dave M
The Senate Transportation commitee has set the public hearing date. It will be Monday, April 21st 9-12am.