Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Gilligan

Default consequences of BI on Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
My guess would be Bear Islander
This thread is fun but distracts from a potentially far reaching consequence.

Bear Islander lives on Bear Island on Lake Winniepesaukee. Imagine the powerful impact his speed limit agenda would have on NH voters when it is presented by a Survivor cast member.

This is one case where the person carrying the message can make a world of difference.

I disagree with Bear Islander but he has the right to his opinion. With all due respect to Bear Islander and his stance about speed limits and GFBLs I hope he does not get on TV.

Nothing personal just wanted to point out the potential for a big blow to any supporters, like me, of any new speed limits on the lake .
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
brk-lnt

What the hell does an appearance on Survivor have to do with political credibility.

No offense to BI, but I personally view the majority of "reality" TV participants as low-rent attention whores. Appearing on TV and banging an untuned political drum rather loudly would only serve to reinforce this belief.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
What the hell does an appearance on Survivor have to do with political credibility.

No offense to BI, but I personally view the majority of "reality" TV participants as low-rent attention whores. Appearing on TV and banging an untuned political drum rather loudly would only serve to reinforce this belief.
Gotta agree with you.

I do not watch the show. Is it really about survival? Do people actually die on the show?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Bear Islander

In the first place, if I get on the show I will not be allowed to advertise my views on the show. I will not be able to even wear the clothes we joked about because they have a dot com on them. A Red Sox cap is about as far as you can go to advertise.

The show does not air until next fall so the speed limit debate will be history by then.

Most importantly, contestants on reality shows are universally regarded as "media whores". My credibility will go DOWN if I get on the show.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
KonaChick

I'm confident that the speed limit bill on Lake Winnipesaukee will be a non issue for BI on Survivor if he gets chosen to be on the show, however he just might take up the cause of trying to pass a speed limit on waters surrounding the Survivor Island??
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
codeman671

This is a non-issue. As BI stated, I am sure that they restrict what is discusses/promoted on the show. Being on the show is about promoting Survivor, not speed limits, sports teams, etc. Any plugs for the Red Sox though is always appreciated around here.

On a lighter note, we made up pink thongs last summer with my company logo on them as a joke/gag gift for some customers and family. I'd be happy to send you one. Not dot.com on mine, just Globaltek....
Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
This thread is fun but distracts from a potentially far reaching consequence. Bear Islander lives on Bear Island on Lake Winniepesaukee. Imagine the powerful impact his speed limit agenda would have on NH voters when it is presented by a Survivor cast member. This is one case where the person carrying the message can make a world of difference.
I disagree with Bear Islander but he has the right to his opinion. With all due respect to Bear Islander and his stance about speed limits and GFBLs I hope he does not get on TV.Nothing personal just wanted to point out the potential for a big blow to any supporters, like me, of any new speed limits on the lake .
I highly doubt Bear Islander will be concerned with any Speed Limit laws while he is foraging for grubs and meal worms to eat. My guess is Bear Islander, being the adventurer that he is, is looking for another notch in his belt, and to have a little fun. Could Everest be next???? I for one hope he DOES get on the show. It will be fun to watch someone we "know" battle it out on Survivor. If he wins the million then I might start worrying cuz he'll have money to bribe all those politicians in Concord.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
ITD

Listen BI, you better not pull a Richard Hatch and be walkin' around the island naked. I don't want to be watchin' that, even if it's pixelized, don't want to even think about it, never mind see it. Oh yeah, if you win, pay your taxes.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Gilligan

Arrow The power of television personalities

I did not expect my first post to be moved and become a thread starter or I might have worded it different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
In the first place, if I get on the show I will not be allowed to advertise my views on the show.
I do not expect you to promote Winnie speed limits while on Survivor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
The show does not air until next fall so the speed limit debate will be history by then.
You assume that the speed issue will be concluded by then but it may not be finished. We thought it was done last year.
Quote:
Most importantly, contestants on reality shows are universally regarded as "media whores". My credibility will go DOWN if I get on the show.
In the photo gallery you are called a "poll dancer" I did not know you graduated to other positions .

Seriously. If we are still talking speed limits after Survivor airs, BI will have more credibility IMHO.

Let's picture Ruppert a former Survivor cast member in BI's position. Should he get on a talk show or a public service announcement or interviews or in the papers his views would be taken very seriously by the general public.

"I've been to the ends of the earth, braved the hazards of Survivor and been (or ready to go) to space. Some people would call me fearless. Close to home I fear for my family, for campers and people in kayaks due to fast boats on the Lake. I've lived and played on Lake Winnipesauke for many years. Take it from me, we need speed limits."

That's just one potential scenario. The voting but non-boating residents of NH sure would take that testimony seriously. Look at all he has done and and it is fast boats on the lake that cause him concern. Could be quite powerful.

If the message came from Johnny Fairplay I might be skeptical but a good guy like Ruppert and probably Bear Islander would get my attention and action. My $0.02.

Richard Hatch earned his media whore reputation it was not automatic. Did you ever try to listen to his radio show?

Am I the only one that sees the potential to boost speed limit support this way?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Bear Islander

Ruppert was the most popular survivor ever. I am an obnoxious smart ass, no way I can ever be as popular as him.

My first first plug is always my website www.icetent.com where I indulge in shameless self promotion. After that it is my wife and son.

There is also my friend Hannah that at this moment is crossing the 769 kilometers between land and the North Pole, alone and unsupported. If she makes it she will be the third human and first woman to do it. http://www.humanedgetech.com/expedition/hannah7/

Then I have several charities like

Smiling Kids http://smilingkidsinc.org/ started by a friend

Teen Empowerment http://www.teenempowerment.org/ started by my cousin

Walpole Scholarship Foundation http://www.walpole.ma.us/wsf.htm where there is a scholarship started by my wife.

Dana Farber Marathon Challenge
https://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp...5656&ccp=74010 where every year someone runs in my sons memory.

If I ever get the chance to put in a plug to a large audience you can bet the farm it will not be about speed limits on Winnipesaukee. In the great scheme of things, it's just not that important.

Thanks for the chance to plug the above.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
snip
it will not be about speed limits on Winnipesaukee. In the great scheme of things, it's just not that important.
snip
Well said.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
I am an obnoxious smart ass, no way I can ever be as popular as him.
Well said...

I am kidding of course on the above comment. Although we don't always agree on our points of view I admire your change of direction in life and the adventures that you have taken on since. I have never followed Survivor but if you were on it, I would tune in.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #13
Gilligan

Arrow Bear Islander won't talk about speed limits? Hmmm

Quote:
I am an obnoxious smart ass,
I'm not sure I can agree with you on this one. I can not tell if you are smart.

Quote:
If I ever get the chance to put in a plug to a large audience you can bet the farm it will not be about speed limits on Winnipesaukee.
I'm not talking about promoting speed limits on a Good Morning America or Live with Regis and Kelly or other similar programs. I'm talking about NH speed limit specific interviews. Should a radio or TV station or newspaper reporter contact you for an interview regarding speed limits, you want us to believe that you would refuse to talk to them about speed limits? I'm not sure I'm buying that one either.

Quote:
In the great scheme of things, it's just not that important.
Finally something we can both agree on. You spend a lot of time and energy advocating for the need for speed limits for something that's just not that important in the great scheme of things.

Quote:
Thanks for the chance to plug the above.
You're welcome. Interesting to see more of your interests.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Must be some longs arms to pat that back of yours.(joke here)
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
hazelnut

Default Inquiring Minds

I was wondering when BI might find out the verdict on Survivor?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Bear Islander

I will be spending my summer on an island. The question is which one. I expect to know next week.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #17
hazelnut

Good Luck, I sincerely hope you get on the show. Regardless of our differences of opinions on one issue I am certain you would add to the show in a positive way.