Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Snowmobile Trails Trashed

Almost every snowmobiler that I talk to around the lakes region is reporting that the trails are just awful.Several vacationers said they are packing up for the north country.
Something is wrong here.....most clubs in NH receive thousands in grants for grooming as well as soliciting donations from members (we gave $100 to our local club) along with our membership.
Certainly the funds are there since we've only had one storm all year of any substance......so what's up? anyone know?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Woodsy

kinda hard to have a great groomed trail with only one snowstorm... and the clubs really didn't get all that much money this year because last year wasn't all that good!

Woodsy
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Being a former groomer operator

I can sum it up. 1. Not enough snow. One storm doesn't make it... You need a good 6-8 inch base plus the snow we got. Its not the clubs fault.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Weirs guy

Combine the "not enough snow" with one good storm making EVERYONE get out there and ride and bingo, the trails go away real quick.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
jetskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
I can sum it up. 1. Not enough snow. One storm doesn't make it... You need a good 6-8 inch base plus the snow we got. Its not the clubs fault.
Plus the sleds naturally tear up the trails. Ideally, you want a hardpack/ice base and lots of snow on top. My suggestion is to ride the lake (provided you have studs). The lake is a phenominal ride and the only place that you can really air it out.

Let's not condemn the clubs, most of the trail preparation and groomer work is done by volunteers. I am sure that they are more frustrated with the poor winter conditions that we are.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
imalocal

The clubs only get money for time that they actually groom. Therefore, none of the clubs around here have received much money for the last two years. The one good snowstorm we did have was such light fluffy snow that it was very hard to keep for a good trail.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Living near a snowmobile trail, we hear the snowmobiles going vrooom, vrooom, vrooom, not steady, and when you walk the trail, it is all chewed up, moguls and valleys, moguls and valleys. Not all the clubs fault, and I agree with the statement about the quality of the last storm. I measured 15 inches of snow, which has now compacted to about 6 inches or so.

Kinda tough to have a great groomed trail under the circumstances.

I heard out on the lake the snow is slushy underneath already, even with the cold.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
ITD

Your problem should be with mother nature and El Nino, not the clubs.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Paugus Bay Resident

It wasn't "good" snow, too fluffy and "shrinks" really quickly. Add that to no base and it yields about 1 good day of riding - grooming or not. The Belknap groomer was out, so they gave it a shot. Just wasn't in the cards. What we needed was some good wet stuff.

Registrations for the last couple of years have been way down, and grant money is based on that. Its not a fixed sum they get every year.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Angry Take A Look At How These Weekend Worriers Ride

last sunday morning i observed six “riders” making the turn on to blackadar, nailing the throttle and spraying snow all the way across the neck road. these are the same “riders” that when they come to a stop at an intersection or a road crossing will nail the throttle and dig the snow down to bare ground. if only they would go north! how do you keep a trail in good condition when you have people riding in this manner? talk about a boater education course, may be a snowmobile education and riding competency certificate program is needed? this may be one way for fish and game to generate “new revenu”?

we had our groomers out all weekend. i think i heard one of the drivers of the tucker say it took over 12 hours to groom from the club garage, over red hill to the end of the bean road trail and back to the garage. the snow we got was as usual the “fluffy” stuff again. and “you” know right well that one or two passes over it, it’s blown away.

i am going to cut it off right here before i really get peeved!

WINNOCTURN

PS: To people that say because I wrote in caps I am yelling, well YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following was posted on another thread and on our website:

Moultonbor Trail Conditions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moultonboro Snowmobile Club Trails Report

The following update will be posted to our website.

2-19-07

The trails saw heavy traffic over the weekend. The groomers where out,but with the dry powder snow conditions deteriorated rapidly. We will be out grooming all week day and night so be aware. Best riding can be found on red hill. See you on the trails.

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-25-2007 at 09:06 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
20mile

Angry Inconsiderate middle aged teenagers

The biggest problem on the trails are the inconsiderate people who think their sleds are dirt bikes. I have watched these idiots nailing the throttle and digging up the trails. After two or three of these morons go over the trail you get deep ruts, moguls and rocks sticking out everywhere.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about it. All we can hope for is that they eventually grow up and start thinking about others and not just themselves.

These are the same individuals that are responsible for trails being closed down as well.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #12
chipj29

Default A combo

I think it is a combination of all the above.

1.First ridable snow in 2 years brings out everyone...and I mean everyone. All that traffic obviously beats the trails to hell.
2.The type of snow, dry and fluffy, is not conducive to decent trails. It doesn't get packed down, it gets blown right off the trails.
3.The yahoos hammering the throttle out of every corner and stop sign.

The clubs/groomers are doing the best they can with what they got, which unfortunately isn't much. My clubs trails were ridable until Saturday. Now they are trash. Not the clubs fault though.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
SAMIAM

I agree about all the mostly younger riders who think they're at a "snocross" I see them digging up the trails at every turn ......wish they'd stay on the lake to have their fun.Anyway....one more nice storm would be a help.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
Cobalt

Default Thank you

I want to thank all snowmobile club volunteers who unselfishly give their time to work for the club, clear trails in the summer, and groom what snow we get in the winter while most of us are in our boats, jet skis, or on our sleds.

It is easy to criticize and we need to recognize that these individuals are working with extremely poor snow conditions, volunteer their services, and could use our support.

Thank you.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
masssteve

Default trails are just fine!

We put 85 miles on yesterday 2/22, went from swissvale, up 15, to mt shaw lookout, then to the Smokehouse for lunch, then back through town, up red hill and then back. Also did the lake for a while. The lake, Red hill trails, mt shaw, and 15 north of the castle were fantastic! The town trails were bad, but there always bad, even when there is good snow cover. Hats off to the groomers, and the clubs, if your looking for 10 feet wide highways that you can go 100 mph, there not around here, and probably won't ever be, go drive 2-3 hours north! if your looking for a nice day trip, this works just fine! We had a blast!
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
Tir Na Nog

Default Any ATV Trails Open

I understand that some of the snowmobile trails also are open to ATVs. For example, I was told that the railroad trail in Wolfeboro is open to ATVs when it also is open to snowmobiles. Can anyone confirm that for me? Any other information on trails open to ATVs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
SAMIAM

That's good to hear,Massteve,when I made my original post I had talked to a group of 6 from Reading,Mass. that were up for the week.They had spent saturday riding in Gilford and Laconia and were very dissappointed in the trails .especially after a fresh storm.I've seen the Moultonborough club out grooming in the middle of storms and even late at night.They do the best job of all the local clubs
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Question Moultonboro Trails Today, PLEASE STAY HOME

To any one coming up to ride in Moultonboro this weekend do not bother, save the gas.

OK, for the lack of snow the grooming the Club has done all this week has paid off. All the moguls and whoopdies we rode last weekend are gone. I could not believe how smooth the trials were today.

I went out with a friend and a friend of his who has not ridden before. At first I was afraid the trails may be so bad the new fellow would be discouraged. Well to my surprise the trails were in the best shape they have been in for the last three years. We road out of Braun Bay, went down to Far Echo beach, took the trail back up the Neck to Bussles Cove, up to Greens Basin, the Lake was perfect. We then took 15 back to Karnataka and went up the back side of RED HILL, it was excellent! When we come down off of RED HILL we stopped at the Fabulous VK (Village Kitchen, not to be confused with the Real Country Cooking). We had a delightful lunch, our server Sherri was superb. Ok Sam? After lunch we went back down Moultonboro Bay, caught the Far Echo Trail back to the Kona Forest Trail, and did the LOOP Trial and maid it back home.

The only thing that bothered me was as we road by the Club Garage the Big Drag was there but the Tucker was not. Hope we did not pay a PRICE for all the hard work the Drivers have done grooming this week?

I think our new riding buddy will be looking for a sled this week. Did I have a good day? You bet I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINNOCTURN

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-24-2007 at 09:09 AM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Glad you had such a nice day Winno....I'll show your post to Sherri.....I know that will make her happy.
We.also have a couple of friends who are just learning to ride and, like you,we want to make sure they have nice easy rides until they get more experience. See ya' on the trails !
Old 02-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Rayhunt

Default Gassing it

For all you people whining about people on and off the gas creating moguls your wrong..
I worked for an engineering firm that built drags (the thing behind the cat) that actually flattens the trail.. They did studies on the effect of snowmobiles traveling over the groomed trails to determine the best way to groom it. Moguls are created naturaly even under steady throttle. In fact studies revealed slower moving sleds as having more mogul building effect than fast moving sleds..
Quit whining and pray for more snow !
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
riverat

I have been almost a daily witness to ATV's and snowmobiles ripping up the only access to Alton Bay for weeks now, and it is now so bad that it is all but impassable. Started as a huge Mogul at the bottom of the ramp from people gunning it as they were coming off the ramp, to now a huge crater of chewed up ice that has filled with water and no one knows for sure how thick the ice is there under the water. So vehicle traffic has basically been halted onto the bay because of this obstacle which is unfortunate to all the fisherman(especially disabled ones like myself) who relied on driving out to their bobhouse. Now with the storm coming and no way to get a plow on to keep road open or runway clear I think it was really selfish of these people who tore up this access point to ruin other peoples sport of fishing or flying.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #22
secondcurve

Can someone give an update on trail conditions? Was the snow heavy and wet or was it light and fluffy. Nothing but rain in Massachusetts.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #23
Rayhunt

Default Snow report

Here in Glendale we had about 7-8 inches of fairly wet snow with a 1/2 inch of sleet on top.
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #24
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Heavy and wet

Should be decent riding if the clubs got out and groomed last night
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote