Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Rinkerfam

Default Seaplane Speed Limits - Split from Boat Fire

Here's a question that I don't have the answer to, but came to mind immediately while reading about this flying fire extinguisher. Wouldn't this plane be exempt from the speed limit rules if it were owned and operated by the state as a fire rescue vehicle?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam
Here's a question that I don't have the answer to, but came to mind immediately while reading about this flying fire extinguisher. Wouldn't this plane be exempt from the speed limit rules if it were owned and operated by the state as a fire rescue vehicle?
Even if the law doesn't explicitly say so, I'm sure emergency vehicles, are exempt when acting to save life or property. And I'm sure the MP is exempt when they're chasing you to give you a ticket.

I don't seriously think the intent of the speed limit law is to ban amphibious aircraft. Plus I'm sure the FAA has some jurisdiction, when it comes to seaplanes.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
lakershaker

Smile Seaplanes exempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
JRC is correct. A amphibous vehicle is technically a boat when in the water. Once on land or air it follows plane/car rules and regulations. That is why amphibous vehicles have to have all the safety equipment set forth by the CG/Dept of Safety. Trouble is the MP will have a tough time catching them once they are in the air!!!!
A Lake Amphib does not get airborne until they reach about 60 mph.
Actually, "any seaplane or any helicopter on floats which lands on public waters shall be exempt from all laws and rules concerning the operation of boats for the purposes of landing and taking off from such public waters." RSA 270:13-a

I guess Skip is on Christmas vacation, so I thought I'd drop the reference!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool

LakerShaker,

This has been addressed by Skip in another thread. What he says that if you remember civics class, Federal regulations overules state and local regulations. FAA states that Seaplane and amphibious vehicles have to adhere to USCG regulations once they are in/on the water. So it is possible that by federal law they are exempt from any state and local regulations. I hope Skip can clarify this.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
lakershaker

Default Seaplanes

Broadhopper,
I think if you read what I wrote, we are agreeing that seaplanes would be exempt from any speedlimit or other boating regulation. Hadn't done a search to see if it had been addressed before on the forum, but take you at your word. BTW, USCG regs don't apply on Lake Winni as an inland body of water.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Arrow USCG on Inland waterways

Interesting question. Why do we have to register our boats with the USCG? Your bow numbers are registered with USCG. Also, I remember reading a while back that the USCG wants the state to use the Bouy and Marker systems that they employ on the coast. Then the problem arise that the system they use does not tell a boater which side of the marker they are suppose to go on. This is crucial as the lakes in the Lakes Region are filled with obsticles and the USCG system fails in this respect.
I wonder if there is anyone on the forum that has any knowledge of this???
Old 12-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Skip

Default Seaplanes....

As Broadhopper indicated, this was discussed in another thread, but to sumrise:

Aircraft taking off or landing on a body of water in New Hampshire are exempt from any boating laws that would prevent them from doing so in a safe manner.

They are exempted by several State statutes, not because of the FAA.

When aircraft are on the waters other than taking off or landing, they are considered vessels and must abide by the applicable NH boating regulations (no wake/speed zones, mooring requirements, etc.)

Bottom line, if a speed limit is enacted in NH it will not apply to aircraft taking off or landing.

Hope this helped,

Merry Christmas,

Skip
Old 12-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
Hottrucks

I know this may sound dumb but what about those hover craft things??? They are not Registered as boats they are OHRV's
Old 12-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Island-Ho

Default Barefoot....

Aw shucks! I thought we would be able to use a float plane as a tow for barefoot skiing to get around the speed limit issue, but alas, unless we can extend the takeoff run indefinitely, then our tow plane will be considered a vessel! Dangling under the plane after it takes off at the end of a tow rope could be slightly dangerous!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #10
Skip

Default Good question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks
I know this may sound dumb but what about those hover craft things??? They are not Registered as boats they are OHRV's
When operated on the water, they must abide by all boating regulations (including the proposed speed limit). On the water, even though registered as an OHRV, they are considered a vessel.

By the way, this does not apply on a body of frozen water....so before someone asks it does not apply to snowmobiles or hovercrafts in the winter.

Remember, amphibious aircraft are exempt because two separate state statutes specifically exempt them. No such statute exists for hovercrafts, which do not fit the definition of an aircraft.

Merry Christmas,

Skip
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
jrc

sounds like you just invented a new extreme sport
Old 12-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Lightbulb Extreme Measure

I remember a scene on AFV or similar show when a Lake Buccaneer was towing a waterskier. I notice that they brush out the call letters on the plane. Don't know if this is legit or not. But it looks like I may be able to enjoy my favorite sport, barefoot waterskiing!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Default Helicopter skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
Aw shucks! I thought we would be able to use a float plane as a tow for barefoot skiing to get around the speed limit issue, but alas, unless we can extend the takeoff run indefinitely, then our tow plane will be considered a vessel! Dangling under the plane after it takes off at the end of a tow rope could be slightly dangerous!
It should work for an airplane, I've seen it (bare foot skiing) done using an airborne helicopter. Just have too remember to LET GO when/if needed However in this case the FAA might have a gripe re: minimum altitude. I'm not sure of the lake is considered a "populated area" though ?? Perhaps one of the pilots could comment if min altitude is a concern over the water. Also how/if it is supposed to apply to the ultralight guy.