Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
Islander

Thumbs up Speed Limit Hearings! HB162

The hearings on HB162 have been scheduled by the RR&D Committee.

June 29 - 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM - Moultonborough - Moultonborough Academy

July 6 - 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM - Wolfeboro - Kingswood Regional High School

July 13 - 7:00 PM to 11:00 - Gilford - unknown

Show up and give your opinion where it counts!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Wing Nut

Default Area meeting Re: Boating Speed Limits

Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but there was a meeting held Wednesday, June 29th to discuss imposing boating speed limits on the lake. The measure would set daytime speed limits of 45 mph and nighttime limits of 25 mph. It seems there is a large group of people who believe the larger boats on the lake are causing safety problems and a speed limit is one way to correct the problem.

Here's the story: http://wbz1030.com/nhnews/NH--Boatin...rces_news_html OR http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=57043

I agree with those who say the problem isn't the speed on the lake, it's the lack of enforcement of boating laws on the lake by the Marine Patrol. The lake is plenty big enough to allow boaters to go any speed they wish as long as they follow the laws and rules of the water.

I agree that we should give the Marine Patrol the resources they need to enforce the laws (the Department of Safety says a speed limit would be unenforceable). I am constantly amazed at how close boats pass each other with complete disregard for the minimum feet distance that is required (that's 150 feet, NOT 50).

Additional hearings are scheduled next Wednesday in Wolfeboro and on July 13 in Gilford.

Boat on!!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down I've seen it all now

Quote from the Union Leader Article: "She said she has been swamped and had one of her boats overturned by the large wakes created by high-speed boats".

Large wakes from High Speed Boats? You have to be kidding! Look at the 4 foot wakes that the 35' Carvers toss around and then you'll see the real problem. I'm going to start a new campaign against Cabin Cruisers and Wooden Boats. Cabin Cruisers because of their wakes and wooden boats because I don't like to look at old stuff. Sound stupid?? Just about as stupid as a high speed boat making a large wake that overturns boats. Oh my achin' head - I hope the powers that be really see through the smoke and mirrors of the WinnFABS crowd...

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 06-30-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Woodsy

Its entirely possible she was swamped by a larger cruiser... She did not specify what type of boat swamped her. Actually, none of the people who spoke in favor of the speed limit spoke of what brand or length of boat caused the problem. Although I do believe there was more than a little embellishment on thier part, I think most of thier stories have a ring of truth to them. They spoke volumes about 150' violations and reckless operation. Almost all of thier stories involved the breaking of one or both of those statutes. When your on the water in a small boat, and a much larger boat goes by you, 35mph can seem like 70. The performance boats when on plane cause very little wake. Those big cruisers though... YIKES! I have caught a few of those wakes and its not fun.

The question remains, what to do about it? All though both sides agree there needs to be some sort of improvement, they differ on how. Its too bad that the first approach taken is lets write another law. The first approach should be better education, hire a few more MP officers, maybe enact few more NWZ's in the congested areas. Another law targeting one specific type of boater isn't a blanket answer to Lake Winni's problems.

Woodsy
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
PROPELLER

Woodsy, The article said she said the large wakes that swamped her were created by high-speed boats. Did they misquote her? I was not there so I don't know what she said. Just curious if the writer of the article got it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Woodsy

Propeller...

You got the quote right. I was just pointing out that when your in a small boat, a larger boat going by faster looks like its traveling alot faster than it really is. It must have been a cruiser of some sort, because any boat traveling completely on plane leaves a small wake that dissipates quickly.

One of the female members of the comittee asked one of the proponents of HB-162 how it was she was able to tell boats were traveling too fast and judge speed. She really didn't have a good answer for that question.

All in all I think the meeting went well.

Woodsy
Old 06-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
PROPELLER

Woodsy, I understand the point you are making & agree. However, you said in your first post that she did not specify what type of boat swamped her. But the quote said high speed boats swamped her. So she did say what type of boat if in fact the quote is accurate. The question is, does she know the difference between a high performance boat, bowrider, cruiser etc.

I believe, among many others, that one of the problems regarding this whole issue is misunderstandings about many things. This is a good example of what I mean by misunderstandings.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
PROPELLER

Woodsy, One more question. My wife & I plan on attending the Wolfboro meeting July 6 to speak out against HB162. We plan to write a testimonial with our position. We would like to know how its organized to speak. Do you sign a register when entering the meeting? Is it first come first serve? If you do not get to speak because of the number of speakers, can you hand in your testimonial to the committee so it can be reviewed later & your position is on record? We have already written to all the committee members & legislators.

The article in the Concord Monitor said many who wanted to did not get to speak because there were so many. It was unclear according to the article if the ones who did not get to speak would be asked to return to another meeting where they might get to speak.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Woodsy

The Monitor Reporter left early. Everyone got to speak who stayed, and the meeting concluded just before 11:00PM. Those poor Reps were tired. They had one long azz day, as yesterday was budget day in Concord.

Yes there is a sign up sheet, and for the most part the Chairman goes one pro, then one against. There was supposed to be a 2-3 minute time limit, but it wasn't enforced. At one point a pro HB-162 man spoke out about not keeping to the time limits, (this was done while someone was speaking out against HB-162) but the chairman quickly squashed it. I think the comittee was very accomodating to both sides. I suspect they will enforce it during the next two meetings. If your against HB-162, send me a PM and I will have put you in touch with the NHRBA folks. If your in favor of HB-162, try to get ahold of one of the Winnfabs people.

Woodsy
Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default laws of the lake

As a person who has operated a boat on Winnipesaukee since 1957 at least I find that it is the type of hull and slower speed in some that causes the bigger wakes. For example I owned a 11' boat with a 18 Hp Johnsons, and going 6 MPH I would create large wakes, but going on a plane their was little wake. The Mount had really large wake prior to it adding length to her, I loved to jump the wake. The people on this lake need to obey and somehow help enforce the 150' rule. That is more than 50% of the problem, not the type of boat, not the speed of boats. Yes them cabin cruisers do put off a big wake just like the Sophie C and the Doris E does.

Noise is another problem, and that can be corrected. Get a camera and take pictures of bow numbers when they are in violations and send them to the Marine Patrol with complaints. Give them the amunition to do their job.