Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Woodsy

Default Boating Accident Statistics NH - 2006

Here it is.... hot off the press! The NH Boating Accident Statistics for 2006!!

This makes for a pretty interesting read! There were only 3 accidents that occured at a speed greater than 45 MPH and one was a structural failure of the hull @ 50mph! There were no collisions between vessels at any speed greater than 25MPH!

One could argue that speeds less than 30MPH are inherently dangerous! LOL!

Tell me again WHY we need a speed limit???

Woodsy
Attached Files
File Type: xls Boating_Accident_Statistics_in_NH_2006.xls (26.0 KB, 654 views)
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

Default accidents

Woodsy, if there were 3 accidents on boats in excess of 45 MPH how could there be only one accident in excess of 25 mph?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Woodsy, if there were 3 accidents on boats in excess of 45 MPH how could there be only one accident in excess of 25 mph?
John, what Woodsy is pointing out is that there were no boat on boat collisions in excess of 25 mph. The 3 accidents in excess of 45 mph were single boat incidents.

Woodsy, interesting food for thought here for sure.... thanks for posting the information......

In thinking about this though, the question is why do people want the speed limit? For me I have never been cocerned with the safety factor directly related to the speed. I am always in control of my vessel and pay attention to everything going on around me. For me the concern with speed has always centered around the nim rod comming out from the Wiers Channel that feels he has to punch it. My thought possibly nieve in nature is that the speed limit would allow the MP another avenue to try and control the chaos. It would allow them to pull over the idiot doing 45 down in front of the Wiers on a busy weekend even if he is 150' from other boats.... The congestion will always be there yes but if you could take the occasional nim rod out of the equation it would help...... In short the 150' rule is nice and does help. But I think that a speed limt in certian area would help calm the chaos...... And please understand my view point is that the broads should be open game for speed. I only see a limit being an important factor in certain areas (e.g. The Wiers and Meredith Bay, Wolfboro Bay, Winter Harbor, Center Harbor....areas where there is an confined space and limited access points....)
Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Tell me again WHY we need a speed limit???
Why? I’ve tried to explain why, but you guys just don’t get it. Many paddlers are staying off some of the main lakes in New Hampshire due to fear of being run over. That’s a fact.

You guys argue that our fears are irrational, but these fears are not only real, they are based on common sense. We don’t want to be statistics, so less paddlers are going out on Winnipesaukee. One of the main reasons that the number of accidents isn’t higher is due to the reduced number of paddlers out on the main lake in recent years.

If the public feels that public waters are unsafe because power boats are allowed to travel at unlimited speeds, then that alone is enough reason for a speed limit.

If I wasn't being moderated (for supposedly posting too much), I might actually be able to defend myself here. But, I'm currently unable to do that . . . so hammer away guys . . .

Last edited by Evenstar; 02-24-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
overlook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
Why? I’ve tried to explain why, but you guys just don’t get it. Many paddlers are staying off some of the main lakes in New Hampshire due to fear of being run over. That’s a fact.

You guys argue that our fears are irrational, but these fears are not only real, they are based on common sense. We don’t want to be statistics, so less paddlers are going out on Winnipesaukee. One of the main reasons that the number of accidents isn’t higher is due to the reduced number of paddlers out on the main lake in recent years.

If the public feels that public waters are unsafe because power boats are allowed to travel at unlimited speeds, then that alone is enough reason for a speed limit.
Why do you say there are less paddlers out? What info. are you obtaining this from? I personally view more paddlers out than ever, including myself. I recall last summer about 20 paddlers all out together going around Rattlesnake, This I have never seen before. If I chose to go out on a windy day in the broads, then I would have fear. If I chose to go out down the channel on Sunday afternoon, Then I would have fear. But I do not, and I base that on common sense.
I believe the public is misled into believing that that NH waterways have no speed limits at all, in fact a speed of 6mph is required at 150' safe passage, even though no wake has no number, the word slow is used.
Every boat has a limit to what speed it can travel in order to comply with NH laws. In my opinion the words "unlimited speeds" should not be applied.

If safety was the real concern, then they should start with the usage of NH waters that is the most hazardous, and go from there.

If fear is the concern, then common sense and an educated boater is the answer.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Woodsy

Evenstar...

Maybe it YOU who doesn't get it. Did you read the report?? There are over 100,000 registered boats, god only knows how many kayaks & canoes, hundreds of thousands of boating hours and GUESS WHAT??? There were NO kayakers (or canoeists) run over by speeding boats anywhere in the state!! NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NADA! There weren't any last year either! or the year before that! So if there were NO collisions, and no kayakers killed by a speeding boat, what is your fear based upon??

The average boater spends close to 100 hours operating his boat. If you do the math, 100,000 boaters X 100 hours each = 10,000,000 boating hours and no kayakers run over!

Where are your FACTS that point to reduced number of paddlers? It was relayed to me by the owner of a sporting goods store that kayaks are pretty good sellers around the lake. So where are all these recreational kayaks being used?? Surely you must know?

Fear is not a basis for legislation! If that were the case young men of Arab descent would have been outlawed after 9/11! The reality is some people just don't like high performance boats or their owners. Even when faced with the FACTS that speed (over 45MPH) is a non-issue when it comes to boating accidents here in NH, you refuse to acknowledge the truth. So instead of working together to make it a fun place for all, the divisiveness and battles continue.

Woodsy
Old 02-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
ApS

Question

Was there a worse boating season than rain-soaked 2006?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Weirs guy

Quote:
Fear is not a basis for legislation! If that were the case young men of Arab descent would have been outlawed after 9/11!
Bravo Woodsy.

Evenstar I have a fear that a speed limit will raise my taxes or take away funding from a more important government project. Based on my fear I'd prefer that paddlers be outlawed from Winni as there would be no increase to my taxes (visual checks are free) while still making the water safe for you.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to pay for something that some one's afraid of.

Now?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
My thought possibly nieve in nature is that the speed limit would allow the MP another avenue to try and control the chaos. It would allow them to pull over the idiot doing 45 down in front of the Wiers on a busy weekend even if he is 150' from other boats....
The MP can already pull yahoos over and charge them with "unsafe boating" or "reckless behaviour". This can be done no matter what the actual speed limit is, because the MP (as does state police and other police) are allowed to act in response to unsafe conditions.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

As a person who relies on tourism for a living,I'll take the go fast boater every time.The performance boat owner typically is a free spender.The typical day starts with the purchase of several hundred $$ in gas,a stop at a waterfront restaurant for lunch and the store for some afternoon snacks and drinks.At night you'll find them (usually a large party) at one of the better restaurants in the area.
The kayaker packs a bottle of water and a granola bar,mutters about all of the power boats that are spoiling his day,then leaves.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Agreed but

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat
The MP can already pull yahoos over and charge them with "unsafe boating" or "reckless behaviour". This can be done no matter what the actual speed limit is, because the MP (as does state police and other police) are allowed to act in response to unsafe conditions.
I do agree with you...... However those are both subjective calls, to where a speed limit is a measurable fact. And yes I know that radar does have margin of error to it.... but nailing someone for speeding and having it stick in court is a lot easier then trying to prove unsafe or reckless boating....

Now on another note..... no matter what happens nothing is going to statisfy everyone....
Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
Woodsy

I think it was the Gilford Steamer/meredith news that did an independent test of handheld radar guns usefuleness on the water and they concluded it didn't work very well.

I am surprised at the lack of posts in this thread. I would have thought the pro-speed limit crowd would have something to say. The accident stats speak for themselves. Hi-speed isn't the problem on NH waterways. I hope that reason & facts prevail over fear mongering...

Woodsy
Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
I think it was the Gilford Steamer/meredith news that did an independent test of handheld radar guns usefuleness on the water and they concluded it didn't work very well.

I am surprised at the lack of posts in this thread. I would have thought the pro-speed limit crowd would have something to say. The accident stats speak for themselves. Hi-speed isn't the problem on NH waterways. I hope that reason & facts prevail over fear mongering...

Woodsy
I think the major battle is being fought in another thread, the thread started by FLL. Plenty has come up about safety.