Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Electric Bill cost !

I just open my Eversource electric bill and was shocked !
$160 for one month, are you serious !

Some facts:
House is 2200sf
Gas Furnace and gas hot water tank powered by electric.
Electric kitchen stove
Normal use of lights and appliances

I used 780 kwh for the month, and have North American Power&Gas as my Supplier at .09 per kwh.
Eversource rate per kwh is fixed, and same as everyone else.

FYI... I'm a new year-round homeowner in the Lakes region since June this year. Previously, I owned a town-house in Gilford, but only used every 3 weeks during the winter, but full time during the Summers.
At Mass. house about same size as NH house and my electric bill was never over $100.

Two questions:
1. Is .09 per kwh the average others are paying, as I did some shopping around to get that rate from North American P&G.

2. Does 780 kwh for one month seem excessive, as it's only myself and my wife living at the house.

Thoughts and suggestions to reduce costs.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
codeman671

I'd be happy with that. Our brand new home is well insulated, all LED lighting and energy star appliances. Natural gas for the stove, forced air heat heat and hot water. About 3100sqft. Our bill last month was $185, and that made me happy. The house we just moved from had hydro air heat and our average bill was over $300 ($600+ in the summer with the pool). A bit bigger, but still had good insulation and LED lighting, with water off the boiler.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
exlakesregioner

Welcome to the land of Eversource, and they just asked for another rate increase.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Doobs41378

Our house is 1800 sq ft and we pay about $160 in the winter a month and well over $300 a month in the summer with the central air and pool pump going. Electricity isn't cheap in NH.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Wow that's a lot!

I have Eversource and my bill is at it's worst (this time of year) tops at about $110 and I got 2600 SQFT.

Have private utils so powering a well pump and have all elec. appliances.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

Two questions:
1. Is .09 per kwh the average others are paying, as I did some shopping around to get that rate from North American P&G.

2. Does 780 kwh for one month seem excessive, as it's only myself and my wife living at the house.

Thanks,
Bigdog
Something doesn't add up with the charge per kwh
.09 x 780 = 70

This kwh charge will come to 160
0.2051282051 x 780 = 160
Old 12-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I just open my Eversource electric bill and was shocked !
$160 for one month, are you serious !

Some facts:
House is 2200sf
Gas Furnace and gas hot water tank powered by electric.
Electric kitchen stove
Normal use of lights and appliances

I used 780 kwh for the month, and have North American Power&Gas as my Supplier at .09 per kwh.
Eversource rate per kwh is fixed, and same as everyone else.

FYI... I'm a new year-round homeowner in the Lakes region since June this year. Previously, I owned a town-house in Gilford, but only used every 3 weeks during the winter, but full time during the Summers.
At Mass. house about same size as NH house and my electric bill was never over $100.

Two questions:

Thanks,
Bigdog
Ok so if I calculate this you paid ~70$ to your power provide which means 90$ was paid to eversource. Which does seem a bit excessive...but eversource and other power companies are loosing out because of power provider options and looking to recoup there losses.

Total usage of 780Kwh also seems excessive, given my family of 4 doesn't use that much, and we have electric water heater, and an electric heat pump....

Ways to save money, that is easy don't leave computer monitors on when not in use, look to update electric appliances, make sure you have LED lights, I could go on and on... you might want to look for an electric drain some where, like a light bulb in the attic that got left on.... poor seals on the refigorator or freezer... etc...
Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
ApS

Red face Tall White Pines All Around the House...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Our house is 1800 sq ft and we pay about $160 in the winter a month and
well over $300 a month in the summer with the central air and pool pump going. Electricity isn't cheap in NH.
Central air last summer? We never turned our A/C on all last summer (Usually only two or three days per average summer).

What are we doing wrong?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Central air last summer? We never turned our A/C on all last summer (Usually only two or three days per average summer).

What are we doing wrong?
The more you use a/c, the more you use a/c.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
jeffk

We have a 1344 sf house, oil furnace and boiler for hot water, electric stove, just my wife & I. Our November usage was 414 kWh. It's very hard to compare however. We have hot water baseboard so no forced hot air fans are running, just small water pumps for circulation. Our house walls are 6" and super insulated attic. The month before, our usage was over 500 kWh. August with a dehumidifier in the basement and a window A/C unit was 818 kWh. So 780 with a larger house seems a bit high for this time of year but it depends. Most of our lights are CFL or LED. If you have 6, 100 w incandescent bulbs running every night for 6 hours, that could add 110 kWh and $18 to your bill.

Power from NHEC is .09256 per kWh. With other add on usage charges, it's over 16 cents per kWh. Total bill was $97.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Something doesn't add up with the charge per kwh
.09 x 780 = 70

This kwh charge will come to 160
0.2051282051 x 780 = 160
There is a charge for the power and a delivery fee. Both are similar.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default New Hampshire Wal-Marts and electricity

What do New Hampshire Wal-Marts do for electricity?

I read in the Wall St Journal a couple years ago that all the Wal-Marts in the east buy their electricity from the Southern Power Co, based in Atlanta, Georgia which is generated with coal shipped by rail from Wyoming to a Southern Power plant in Alabama that burns the coal cranking out a low price electric power.

Does this seem believable?

A few words between Junior and Jethro down at dat Alabama power plant, burn'n dat Wyoming soft coal.

Say-hey there Jethro ...... looks like we get-um one mo train-o-coal here to be unloading fo that there Wal-Mart power ...... yo heave ho ...... yessum ..... is sho 'nuf dat here Wal-Mart power, Junior ...... ah do declare!

So, say there Jethro ....... what all small north east state has some very very pricey electric power ...... doncha know ....... why is it that poor little state up north ...... is so cold New Hampshire ....... brrrrrrr!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

I read in the Wall St Journal a couple years ago that all the Wal-Marts in the east buy their electricity from the Southern Power Co, based in Atlanta, Georgia which is generated with coal shipped by rail from Wyoming to a Southern Power plant in Alabama that burns the coal cranking out a low price electric power.

A few words between Junior and Jethro down at dat Alabama power plant, burn'n dat Wyoming soft coal.

Say-hey there Jethro ...... looks like we get-um one mo train-o-coal here to be unloading fo that there Wal-Mart power ...... yo heave ho ...... yessum ..... is sho 'nuf dat here Wal-Mart power, Junior ...... ah do declare!

So, say there Jethro ....... what all small north east state has some very very pricey electric power ...... doncha know ....... why is it that poor little state up north ...... is so cold New Hampshire ....... brrrrrrr!
Some one is being lied to... Walmart has the same choices as we do. We're still paying for Seabrook and always will.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Some one is being lied to... Walmart has the same choices as we do. We're still paying for Seabrook and always will.

I don’t know and don’t want to know where he gets his info or how he processes it but I can tell you from experience that there is no way a power plant in Georgia is getting its coal from Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
fatlazyless

From memory, this was one of those small news announcements, like on a page full of small business deals on a back page of the Wall St Journal, that said Wal-Mart and the Southern Co aka Southern Power had made a power supply deal. It said the power was made burning coal from Wyoming that came by railroad train to the power plant located in Alabama.

Will google 'Walmart, Southern Power, Atlanta, electricity purchase' and look for an item.

With the bill itemized and including delivery and power as separate items, it seems like the power could come from Alabama, while the delivery obviously has to go the local lines.

If the power traveling the lines from Alabama to New Hampshire could sing, it would go like this:

Oh, we come from Alabama,
With a banjo on our knee,

We is headed for Plymouth, New Hampshire,
to help relieve their misery,

It get's so cold up New Hampshire,
And their 'lectricity costs so much,

Here down in 'Bama,
the prices are so low.

... all because that big long coal train,
pulls in here with regularity!

Oh Suzanna, what's we got here,
is lots of coal cheap Southern electricity!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Why Oh Why did I ask?
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
pondguy (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Why Oh Why did I ask?
A Christmas gift from FLL. Who else does he have to converse with?
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #18
fatlazyless

..... say-hey ..... there's always all three of me ...... me-myself & I ..... that make three ...... ho-ho-ho ..... Merry Christmas Junior!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
WinnisquamZ

Would like to place solar panels on my roof to supply some of the electric that I consume. No storage needs or buy back options. Just usage. However, we can not. Need permit and permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
Rusty

By the comments made by fatlazyless, joey2665, and Biggd it reminds me of the three stooges Moe, Curly and Larry.
It happens everytime fatlazyless makes a comment.
Attached Images

ACME on the Broads (01-08-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
DickR

As has been pointed out, that 9 cents/kwh likely is just the source cost. The bill should itemize the other costs/kwh, such as for transmission. My NHEC bill itemizes:
Delivery charge 0.040040
System Benefit charge 0.004250
NH Consumption & BET taxes 0.000820
Regional access charge 0.025010
Co-op power 0.092560

That totals 0.16268/kwh

There also is a fixed "Member Service Charge" of $29.32.

So if your Eversource bill has a similar MSC that is fixed, subtract it out from your $160 bill and divide that by 780 kwh. If that fixed charge is $30, then you get 0.166666/kwh, right in the ballpark with what others in NH are paying.

BigDog, what did you mean by "Gas Furnace and gas hot water tank powered by electric."? Is the hot water by gas, or is it an electric hot water heater. If that HWH is gas, then 780 kwh for a month does seem excessive for your situation. But if that HWH is electric, then 780 may not be too far out of line for a late fall month, with early sunsets and more lighting in use. And what about clothes dryer - is that electric or gas? HWH and clothes dryer a big energy users, and if electric they will factor into the total kwh in a big way. Look at prior usage for the same month a year or more ago. My NHEC bill gives me total kwh usage for the current month and prior 12 months, so I can see if usage is way out of line.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
fatlazyless

..... gotta go with Larry ..... the most quiet of the three ..... a violinist ....... with that Larry hair-do ..... usually somewhat spaced-out, quiet, and always has that Larry ELECTRIC hair-do going on ........ hell of an energized hair-do, Larry ...... more power to U ..... envision a little violin music here for Larry, 1902-1975

As you maybe know, in real life, Curly (b-1903) and Moe (b-1897) were brothers, so these two Winni Forum NITWITS, Joey and Biggd, are a natural 2018 version for Curly and Moe ....... doncha already know that ........ a little violin music here!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-21-2018 at 05:12 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Rusty (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #23
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Sorry but I can't relate to any of the three stooges and I doubt Joey could either. I'm sure FLL can relate to all three.
I thought if I kept responding I might get close to his post # but that will never happen. I just don't have that much useless information in my memory bank.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-20-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Southern owns many generating stations including Plant Vogtle in Waynseboro Georgia. Voglte currently has 2 Westinghouse reactors making a little over 2400 MW of power. They are currently building 2 new Westinghouse AP1000 reactors, units 3&4. When done, the will make around 4500 MW/ hour of clean carbon-less power. That is enough to power 2 million homes.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #25
fatlazyless

Not really knowing what's what on this, but something tells me that a huge company like Walmart could well be able to purchase their electric power from afar, like from Alabama, and avoid the high price of NH power, just paying to transport it over the local lines, or something.

This seems like a reasonable, doable, cost savings, and something that Wal-mart would want to do.

Say-hey ….. pay those wicked NH electric rates …… no way Jethro ….. our Wal-mart store power comes from Alabama, and is powered by Wyoming soft coal …. thas right ….. don't u know it ….. no high NH rates for Wal-mart …… just the transport cost!

https://ilsr.org/wp-content/uploads/...Coal_Final.pdf ..... "As a rule, Walmart uses the cheapest power it can get." (top of page 18) Probably, almost everyone in New Hampshire would do the same if they could, and use the cheapest power they can get ..... you know a gallon of gasoline, propane, or a unit of electricity is all the same, and the only thing that really matters is the price and reliability.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
NH.Solar

Default Solar is the solution

BigDog,
FYI, here is an excel using the following assumptions; decent sun on your maybe not so perfect southern roof plane (perfect is 194 degree with an 8/12 pitch). 17 cents per kWh because of your third party energy supplier cost is about a penny lower than Eversource, 9,360 annual kWh usage (12 x 780), PUC rebate incentive is still funded (it is right now), and you make a move before the end of 2019 (30% tax credit).
If the roof doesn't work, maybe a ground mount will?? I have a 32 module bifacial fixed gm installation in Meredith that we installed last December and on several days this past Spring it has produced over 70 kWh per day!
The bottom line is the payback period (roi), in just 7.66 years the money you will have saved on your utility bill expense will have bought the solar system asset that is now supplying your power and will continue to do so for the next 35-40 years.
Why rent your power when you can own it?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (12-26-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
bigdog

Thanks folks for all the great info. reported...

To DisckR & others.....

My furnace runs on propane, however, I believe the furnace also uses 'electric' to kick it on and off ! Same applies to my gas hot water heater.
My furnace seems to run for long periods of time, thermostats are set to 65 degrees on both first & second floors of house. FYI, furnace was just tuned-up, back in Aug.

I have been running a de-humidifier in the man-cave cellar which is completely 'finished' and insulated. That may be causing some electric drain ? I also have a well pump for water, which I didn't have in other house in MA.

I called Eversource to review my bill, and they said my kwh usage was in the 'norm'. Again, I just moved into the house June 1, so have nothing to compare against for last year same time. Eversource did tell me the prior owners (2 adults & 2 kids), used 1700 kwh last Nov-Dec.

I checked my electric bill in Mass last Nov/Dec and used about 580 kwh. House was 2000 sf, Oil furnace, HW baseboard, with hot water off the furnace.

Will continue to monitor usage......
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #28
jeffk

Both a dehumidifier (avg 500 w) and a well pump (avg 700 w) can burn through a lot of power DEPENDING on how much they are run. My basement dehumidifier runs to keep humidity at around 50% so how much depends on how humid. Lots during summer (100+ kWh per month, $16+). The unit is off during winter because humidity is low and the temp is 60 degrees or less.

The well pump, how much water is used? With 2 people I would think not a lot. How deep is the well? Deep wells require more energy to move the water to the surface.

How do you cook? We tend to use our microwave a lot and don't heat the oven or cooktop that often. The microwave is fairly efficient in placing heat in the food but not the surrounding space.

Lots of factors which are "normal" usage but can create quite a variance in to use.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Pumps use a lot of power. We were using so much the power co called us and told us we might want to check. It was tough but we finally found out the pump from the holding tank to the leach field was running all the time. Unless you have a gravity fed field (or city or town sewer) you might have a pump.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #30
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Pumps use a lot of power. We were using so much the power co called us and told us we might want to check. It was tough but we finally found out the pump from the holding tank to the leach field was running all the time. Unless you have a gravity fed field (or city or town sewer) you might have a pump.
Get one of these and it will tell you which circuits are using the most energy.
https://smartyhome.io/sense-home-energy-monitor-review/
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #31
fatlazyless

Arrow .... gotta appreciate a good flush!

Ya know ...... if da pump don't work because the foot valve is clogged up, or the foot valve spring is just too old and weak or something ...... you can always dip a watering sprinkler pail into the lake that holds two gallon ...... and fill up the back of the toilet .....so it will flush like it's supposed to ...... a good flush!

One big advantage from living on a lake is the availability of water like that.

Everyone who reads this should do this for a two day weekend ..... pull the plug on your pump ..... and get out the water sprinkler pail .......to get an appreciation for that indoor flush toilet ..... it will make you appreciate your water system in a big way ........ f-l-u-s-h ........ gurgle-gurgle-gurgle ...... yes thankfully, it is working ........ amen!

And, oh yes, items like running water in the kitchen and bathroom sink.

Ya know not everyone on this here Lake Winni waterfront lives in a mega million dollar mcmansion ..... ya just pay property taxes like you do .... or, almost like you do .... except for flushing dat toilet ....... f-l-u-s-h!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-22-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
BoatHouse

Good news -
As of 1-1-19, the Electricity Consumption Tax is being repealed. A savings of $.00055 per kilowatt-hour. This means bigdog will save $.429 on his next 780 kwh bill.

If you buy your coffee at Cumberland Farms, that could add up to 2 1/2 cups per year!
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #33
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
Good news -
As of 1-1-19, the Electricity Consumption Tax is being repealed. A savings of $.00055 per kilowatt-hour. This means bigdog will save $.429 on his next 780 kwh bill.

If you buy your coffee at Cumberland Farms, that could add up to 2 1/2 cups per year!
Add the Social Security increase to that along with 50 cents and the average retired individual will be able to buy 3 cups of coffee per year at Cumberland Farms.