Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default WV sno-making slow down?

Has the Waterville Valley ski & boarding area cut back on sno-making? It seems that could be possible. With 38 out of 52 trails now open for about one week, one would think that the push would now be on to get the remaining closed trails all snow covered and open. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be what's happening.

Charging $67 for an adult lift ticket and promoting twofer 2/$67 skiing on Twofer-Mondays and Twofer-Fridays, it seems like business is a little slow so far this year. Probably the ski area mirrors its clientele and is simply cutting back spending, by cutting back on expensive sno-making, and praying for some natural snow to make it happen.

Last night, the temps got down to about 10 degrees, and the humidity was not very dry: ideal conditions for cranking up the sno-making system. It requires a crew of eight, and burns up a large quantity of diesel and electricity.

Maybe if we all join in with some positive thinking and put the power of prayer to work....and facing NORTHWARD..... and just THINK SNOW.....and it will happen. Lakes region snowmobilers are encouraged to join in. Used to be, people drove around with bumper stickers that shouted "THINK SNOW" and with the advances in snowmaking they all disappeared. But now, with high priced diesel and high high priced electricity, it could be time to bring back those little "THINK SNOW" bumper stickers with the white on blue snowflakes.

So, sno or no snow, the trail count seems to have peeked at 38 trails. In previous years, the sno system would be running full on, with a resounding low pitched roar of the diesel air compressors echoing across the Valley. But, for some reason, it does not appear to be happening this season. Probably, just another victim of the economic slow down. Making snow cost lots of money and most ski & snowboard customers will not really notice if there's 38 trails or all 52 trails that's open for skiing.

Those little "Think Snow" bumpers stickers with the white snowflakes on a blue background were available for free at the Route 93 rest stops back in the 1970's, and they worked pretty good too. Anyone know where to find a "Think Snow" bumper sticker today?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-05-2010 at 08:51 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

They are currently making snow on Periphery, And Tyler too. Exibition, and Psyched.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
fatlazyless

...oh yeah...look at those clouds of blowy white stuff....Siksukr......that's good news.....the snow-mak'n is now turned on......something tells me I should go find meself a "real" job........lol!

3-cheers for the winni forum....hut-hut-hut!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

I will say this about WV,they got the screw job in this last snowstorm.7 inches in the last 7 days while right up the road at Cannon they have recieved 31 since Jan 1.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
fatlazyless

...yeah....I drove Route 302 from Woodsville to Littleton today, which is just a little north and west of Cannon Mt, and the recent snow looked deep & fresh....looked a little rough on all the wild turkeys foraging last year's corn field...(?)
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Cannon Report

I took advantage of Cannon's $33 ticket deal on Wednesday and skied in their 31", along with thick fog. Not too bad. The cover is good. There is some freezing rain mixed in though and the surface is a bit scratchy. Not "ice" - and we know Cannon can be icy, but you had to be honest with your edges. The ungroomed moguls on the right side of the trails are not soft.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Shore Driver

They are about a week behind where they usually are, nothing alarming. The 2 trails skier's right off the High Country lift are always sketchy and can be counted on to be open about 30% of the time in any given year. Ruthie's has more terrain changes so who cares. Stillness is late every year (my fave) because it is very rocky and they can funnel everyone onto Valley Run off Obliv.

They did get hosed on the big one that dumped 2 ft+ on BW and Cannon.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
fatlazyless

$67 lift tickets and the Waterville Valley High Country lift is closed today....what a deal....the slopes up top at about 3600-3800' elevation are showing some large open grass, no-snow areas, so's it could be time to be mak'n snow up top

When was the last time there's only 40-odd trails open for February vacation? When was the last time the WV golf course looked more ready for golf than for xc skiing, and when will I shut up and stop this rant?

For February vacation weeks, the numbers of skiers definately look down from previous years....it's just not happening....probably too expensive at $67....

People are voting with their feet....it's time to bring back the $299 Threedom Pass good for the whole seaason, and forget about its' $519 replacement pass for 2009/2010!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

We had pretty good crowds at Cannon this weekend.Not as big as MLK weekend but very respectable.Probably due to the large contingent of Brits on holiday!They were everywhere.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Last fall, we bailed out of a hike up & down the Hi-Cannon trail when it started to rain heavy by taking the tram down, and the tram was loaded with all sorts of exotic types from all over the world: Germans in leiderhausen, africans in dashikis, Indians in saris, and us americans in LL Bean.

It cost 13-dollars for a one-way down which was way overpriced considering a round trip costs $14, in my opinion, so's I paid the cashier at the bottom with money that was soaking wet............
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It cost 13-dollars for a one way down which was way overpriced, in my opinion, so's I paid the cashier at the bottom with money that was soaking wet............
You are a true yankee with that statement.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

As usual FLL doesn't let facts get in the way of a good story. And it is a good story cuz I actually did just the opposite and took the ride up and walked down the Hi-Cannon trail. $13 round trip and $11 one way.

Should have hiked with your penny jar FLL.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Shore Driver

I agree that $67 is hardly a bargain for WV with 40 trails (really more like 12). But take away this week, they do have 2-for-1s twice a week, and $20 off Wednesdays when bought online. They hold their own in the bang for buck category, IMO.

Wildcat $9 Fridays can't be beat though
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Wow....Wildcat $9-Fridays....that's truly incredible...especially on a sunny & warmish Friday in that real mountain, Wildcat location! What's the catch...must be a gimmick! What do they do.....steal your nice new car from their parking lot with a flatbed truck while you are off skiing or something?

Here's some info from the "In Case you was wondering Dept."

While last week during the Massachusetts school vacation, the WV two-fer Mondays and Fridays, and 20-dollar off, internet-48 hour advance notice- Wednesdays were not available, the Two-fers & Wed specials are now back and available as usual during this, the New Hampshire school vacation week.

Could be called the New Hampshire school vacation advantage!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
Shore Driver

Wildcat's only "gimmick" is that they run the $9 Friday about 3 time/year!

This Friday, if it doesn't end up as a raging blizzard, should be epic with fresh snow from today/tomorrow. I've heard they have done well without it, but the real stuff can't be beat
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
Wildcat's only "gimmick" is that they run the $9 Friday about 3 time/year!
And I want no part of that Gimmick when there are more people than trees.The place was a madhouse last time I went in January.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Shore Driver

I guess that's the price to pay. $9 is amazing even if you have to risk life and limb to take advantage of it!