Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... car battery not charging?

2014 Toyota Corolla model-S, 6-speed manual with 69,500-miles in overall very good condition, except the battery does not stay charged up and it will NOT start.

Recently, have purchased a $99.94 Waimart Everstart Maxx Jump Starter: weighs about 30-lbs and gets charged up on 110v plug-in as a secondary way to power up the low battery and start the car. It DOES get the car started and have used it about 20 different times and I DEFINITELY do not drive the car without it.

Recently, have purchased a new Walmart Everstart Maxx-35N battery for $98.76, and it started the car GREAT for about one week but then it no longer will start it and the portable jump starter is needed.

Recently, have purchased a Walmart Schumacher 10-amp battery charger for $38.82 that plugs in to 110v, and charged up the battery in the car with an extension cord. Once charged like this, the car runs good for about one week.

For some unknown reason the battery is not being charged while the car is driven.

Plymouth NH is home to www.plymouthford.com ..... www.ktmauto.com ..... New World Auto ...... and ...... www.forresthowesautorepair.com ...... all close to the Plymouth Library so I can go chill out while this UNKNOWN ELECTRIC CHARGING PROBLEM hopefully gets fixed, correctly, on the first expensive attempt to repair it.

So, what could be the problem here with this 2014 TOYOTA COROLLA battery not getting charged up ... .... that is taking ME straight to the poor house, driving a manual stick-shift. Isn't the Toyota Corolla supposed to be like the most bullet proof and reliable car ever made, or someting!
Old 08-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

It could be several things.

I would check for a short that is killing the battery.

But my first guess would be the alternator. Start the car and put a volt meter on the battery. If the alternator is putting out power it should read somewhere above 13 volts even as high as 14.5 volts. That will tell you that the charging system is working.

(FLL If you buy a volt meter at Walmart you can probably use it once and take it back for a full refund)
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
bobkatfly

I agree with Tilton checking the alternator. That's the easiest thing to do first. In the unlikely case of a bad new battery, you could bring it to any quality auto parts store and have it checked. Lastly, a short or some other drain which might need qualified service.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
swnoel

https://www.autozone.com/lp/store-services

They should be able to help...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
trfour

Post Also,

Keep an multimeter where you'll be able to test "all" voltages and save a Ton of money. In most cases it will pay for itself in just one use!

https://www.walmart.com/browse/home-...231235_1231238

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 08-08-2021 at 08:39 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
garysanfran

What happened to the Scion?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
Charlie T

Default Parasitic Load

FLL When you get your walmart Multi-meter, make sure you get one that has a DC current measurement capability of at least 10 amps. With a fully charged battery, disconnect the positive cable and place the meter between the + battery terminal (red test lead from meter) and the + battery cable (black test lead from meter) that you just disconnected. Prior to connecting the meter, make sure the Red test lead is in the "10A" position and set the meter dial to the DCA (DC amp) setting on a 10 amp scale. Close all the doors, turn off all the accessories and see what the meter reads.

A typical modern auto will have a "parasitic load" of between 50 and 100 Milliamps. Any current draw significantly larger than that means something in the car is drawing current from the battery when the car is shut down. You can probably identify the offending circuit by pulling fuses one by one until you see the excessive current draw eliminated.

Chaffed wiring., defective switches, defective electronic components and commonly bad diodes in the charging system alternator are all probable causes of these parasitic loads.

IF during the initial testing you measure a parasitic load within the typical 50-100 ma range, your car is acting normally. It's not uncommon for car batteries to go dead after several weeks of non use due to the small but constant current draw from the ECM and radio.

Good Luck
Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-10-2021), fatlazyless (08-09-2021), SailinAway (10-18-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
What happened to the Scion?
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=351372
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
FLL When you get your walmart Multi-meter, make sure you get one that has a DC current measurement capability of at least 10 amps. With a fully charged battery, disconnect the positive cable and place the meter between the + battery terminal (red test lead from meter) and the + battery cable (black test lead from meter) that you just disconnected. Prior to connecting the meter, make sure the Red test lead is in the "10A" position and set the meter dial to the DCA (DC amp) setting on a 10 amp scale. Close all the doors, turn off all the accessories and

Good Luck
Charlie T
My car repair crystal ball tells me to take this 2014 Toyota Corolla 6-speed with the 'car battery not charging problem' to www.ktmauto.com in Plymouth, down below the Flying Monkey, to get it fixed CORRECT the first time, and at a price of $100 or less!!!

Wish me some good luck with this! ..... ..... That funny looking shaped building on the right is probably what houses the movie screen inside the Flying Monkey theatre ..... and don't forget that KTM Auto is the home of the $20.95 oil change.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
steve-on-mark

I'd think that if the alternator were the issue, you'd see some kind of red battery / alternator light coming on. This would tell you that the battery has more voltage than the alternator is putting out. If you turn the ignition on but don't start the vehicle, it should illuminate... good way to make sure the bulb is good. Parasitic draw would only kill the battery while sitting overnight or a long period of inactivity, so I doubt that's the issue. One or two dead cells in the battery might be the issue if the alternator checks out ok.
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #11
fatlazyless

So I have an appointment for next week at at KCM to get it fixed. What I have been doing that actually works pretty good is to attach the 10-amp $42 charger to the battery overnight. As long as the battery has the power, car will start right up. Getting lots of "hands on" battery charging experience!!!! .....

Got a 100' extension cord so's the battery does not have to be removed from the car every night ..... which makes it much easier to do. ....
Old 08-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Got a 100' extension cord so's the battery does not have to be removed from the car every night ..... which makes it much easier to do. ....
With an extension cord that long you may be able to plug it into an outlet at your neighbors house when they aren't home!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-12-2021), Biggd (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
With an extension cord that long you may be able to plug it into an outlet at your neighbors house when they aren't home!
......great suggestion .....plus this car has automatically transformed into a hybrid electric that needs both gasoline and 110-v power to keep it going!

...... car runs excellent ..... just, will not always start up!!! ..... which is a major pain ..... getting lots experience with the portable power-pak which will start it but won't charge the battery.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
......great suggestion .....plus this car has automatically transformed into a hybrid electric that needs both gasoline and 110-v power to keep it going!

...... car runs excellent ..... just, will not always start up!!! ..... which is a major pain ..... getting lots experience with the portable power-pak which will start it but won't charge the battery.
Dude, why are you jumping through hoops with this stuff?!

You've filled up threads about all the stress in your life from the tinnitus, need to maintain your properties, clean up your front yard, neighbor issues, etc. and then add more through your car endeavors.

Given your financial situation, you could remove almost every stressor in, like, two days which would have an immediate impact on your emotional health, minimizing its impact on your physical, and overall, health.

I love ya buddy, but my sympathy is nearing zero given that you make choices that add to your difficulties.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-12-2021), lakeadoodle (08-12-2021), Poor Richard (08-13-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

You probably replaced a perfectly good battery and wasted 100 bucks for not troubleshooting your problem first.

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-31-2021), VitaBene (08-31-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #16
XCR-700

Was the problem resolved?

If so what was the cause, bad alternator???
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #17
SailinAway

Right, what was the outcome of this, FLL?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #18
mswlogo

I ALWAYS go to the dealer. Even if it has 200K miles on it.

In the end they can be cheaper because they probably fix the same problem a dozen times a month. So you're not paying some mom and pop shop for on the job exploring.

They probably have the OEM parts too and not some crappy after market stuff. Oh and often it's a recall and fixed for free.

Assuming I can't fix it myself
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote