Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
aydinlik

Default Pontoon to tritoon conversion

I have a pontoon boat. I was wondering if it is possible to convert it to tritoon. Has anyone tried that before?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I'm sure it can be done, but is it cost-effective? Probably worth trading yours in on the right boat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (08-13-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
I have a pontoon boat. I was wondering if it is possible to convert it to tritoon. Has anyone tried that before?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
People do it all the time. particularly down south. It seems especially popular to tackle, when you are going to be doing a full floor replacement.

If you have a pontoon, that is paid for and everything is in good shape, it is likely a good solution, if you want better performance, or cargo capacity with out going out and buying something newer....

I myself may consider this in a year or two... I bought a reasonable priced 20 year old toon, to see how much I liked it... With the idea, that I could make updates to it, over time, and still not spend as much as I would have to by something newer. As I still also have speed boat, going to a tri-toon is not my first thought.... But I am going to be looking for a bigger power plant over this winter...... I tend to run the current motor, to high in the power band for my taste.... and well its a 20 year old motor, so who knows how much life it has left in it....
aydinlik (08-13-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
People do it all the time. particularly down south. It seems especially popular to tackle, when you are going to be doing a full floor replacement.

If you have a pontoon, that is paid for and everything is in good shape, it is likely a good solution, if you want better performance, or cargo capacity with out going out and buying something newer....

I myself may consider this in a year or two... I bought a reasonable priced 20 year old toon, to see how much I liked it... With the idea, that I could make updates to it, over time, and still not spend as much as I would have to by something newer. As I still also have speed boat, going to a tri-toon is not my first thought.... But I am going to be looking for a bigger power plant over this winter...... I tend to run the current motor, to high in the power band for my taste.... and well its a 20 year old motor, so who knows how much life it has left in it....
Do you think it's as simple as adding a third toon? Looking at the designs underneath, I don't think you can just slap a third one on—even the only-a-couple-year-older Harris designs are different than my '16...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (08-13-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I changed the pontoons on a boat I had. It started with 19 inch diameter pontoons and I bought Bennington elliptical pontoons. I think they are 24 X 34. It made a huge difference in ride and draft.

I learned a couple of things. The structural integrity is the pontoons themselves. The brackets will most likely not line up with the ribs under the boat unless you buy the exact same brand, and even that is not a guarantee.

I mounted 2 inch aluminum angle on the entire length of the new pontoon brackets and then drilled where the existing cross members were on the boat to install bolts. That is what I think you would have to do when adding a third pontoon.
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
mofn

Default Easy To Do!

I converted 10 years ago?
Was so easy it was scary!

You need to make sure bolt holes line up. Mine was a universal
tube so no issues (after market unit)

With two handy people and not skirted on the bottom 3-4 hours to install tops.

If mounting when on a trailer you will need milk crates!!! 1) to sit on 2) once jacked up and shimmed in place holds it.

Measure X times I did and some how rear was a 1/8 off No idea how it happened?

Do not dilly dally around just do it, I wish I did it years before.
The one draw back can be tubes not same size...that is what I have 19/28.
Tritoons from dealer are zeroed in. I had to do that for a year.
I still can not get on plane due to mismatch, but I do not care...
it raised me 5 inches up
steers better
handles better
and now have 3200 lbs. total capacity.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mofn For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (08-13-2020)