Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
tis

Thanked 1,392 Times in 965 Posts

I was just reminded that people whose boats are not registered in NH don't contribute to the costs of using the lake. Excellent point don't you think?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Reciprocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I was just reminded that people whose boats are not registered in NH don't contribute to the costs of using the lake. Excellent point don't you think?
Don't forget NH boats don't pay a fee in other states, except most notably Lake George NY.

Dave
Top-Water (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Don't forget NH boats don't pay a fee in other states, except most notably Lake George NY.

Dave
But if we are going to argue that kayaks need to pay a fee to contribute to the services their owners use, then we must argue that boats the come in from another state should contribute, don't you agree?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Reciprocity

Not arguing with you ......... but what if everyone who works in Massachusetts who lives up here had to purchase a car registration for down there.

Some things in life just don't seem to be fair. But they kinda are. There are a lot more cars crossing the border towards mass 5 days a week than there are boats
Don't forget...for those of us that have the pleasure of working in MA and living in NH we still pay MA state income tax. That's not nothing!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
Barney Bear

Default Paddleboards Next?

Perhaps the next watercraft to require registration will be paddleboards. OUCH!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
barefootbay

How about canoes and row boats ?
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
fatlazyless

By paddling, rowing or sailing (a sailboat under 12') you really save a lot on the annual registration, motor, gasoline, and insurance by not having any annual registration, motor, gasoline, or insurance. The cost for annual NH motorboat registration starts at about $50/year.

So, paying $10/year is very small potatoes compared to what you save by going "human power."

In addition, the law says it applies to paddle/row vessels launched from a public launch ramp, and does not apply to paddle/row vessels launched from private property.

.... NH needs to keep on paddling!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
tis

At one time out of state registered boats could not operate on the lake.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
MAXUM

So this is interesting.... if you read the bill being proposed. This does not appear to be a mandatory "fee". Instead it establishes a "donation" program for operators of non motorized boats. The F&G shall administer it.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...xtFormat=amend

Not sure where the author of the Union Leader article got his information, clearly didn't he actually read the bill.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,535 Times in 993 Posts
Default Hope it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So this is interesting.... if you read the bill being proposed. This does not appear to be a mandatory "fee". Instead it establishes a "donation" program for operators of non motorized boats. The F&G shall administer it.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...xtFormat=amend

Not sure where the author of the Union Leader article got his information, clearly didn't he actually read the bill.
Some years ago the gas tax refund form was changed to allow donations to these same two funds (Navigation safety and Lake preservation). As much as people whined then that these functions (Milfoil and MP) were underfunded, not many people stepped up with a (tax deductible) donation to support these issues. We could still use more MP and less milfoil, right?
As long as these two issues continue to be problematic, there will be attempts to find better funding, mostly from those who benefit, rather than the general taxpayer, which is mostly business taxes since individuals pay little or no state taxes as such (Yeah, Yeah. I know. Interest and dividends. And this year, they tried to add capital gains).
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Some years ago the gas tax refund form was changed to allow donations to these same two funds (Navigation safety and Lake preservation). As much as people whined then that these functions (Milfoil and MP) were underfunded, not many people stepped up with a (tax deductible) donation to support these issues. We could still use more MP and less milfoil, right?
As long as these two issues continue to be problematic, there will be attempts to find better funding, mostly from those who benefit, rather than the general taxpayer, which is mostly business taxes since individuals pay little or no state taxes as such (Yeah, Yeah. I know. Interest and dividends. And this year, they tried to add capital gains).
I agree, and I don't think any lake related taxes have decrease yet we seem to have less MP coverage on the lake. Money doesn't always get used for what is intended.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
8gv

Last month I noticed several leaves floating in the lake.

They had fallen from one of my trees.

This week I got a notice in the mail telling me to register them!

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-30-2019), Lin (01-01-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Last month I noticed several leaves floating in the lake.

They had fallen from one of my trees.

This week I got a notice in the mail telling me to register them!

Was that before or after you got the note from DES telling you that tree cannot be cut down or trimmed?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,535 Times in 993 Posts
Default Going nowhere

This bill has been brought up in the past, or something similar, and has always died. However, there is some validity to the issues brought up by more and more kayaks. Not on the lakes so much, but the ones who test themselves on spring river rapids and don't pass the test. Fish and Game and MP still have to do search and rescue or recovery.
As someone who pays power boat registration fees that benefit ramps and access that I don't use, I'm happy to have yakkers contribute to these facilities. However, it looks like, after $3 overhead, the money goes 50% to Navigation safety fund (MP) and the other 50% of this fee goes to lake restoration and preservation (e.g. milfoil control). Nothing for ramps?

The big hangup is, nobody has any idea how many kayaks are out there. It's hard to justify a new fee when you don't have any idea how much money it will generate, unless you just like new fees. If it doesn't bring in enough, just raise it next year.
Here's the bill: http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_sta...txtFormat=html
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #15
chaseisland

Default fees

As I've said before, live fee or die.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
As I've said before, live fee or die.

That ship sailed into the abyss about a decade and a half ago.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #17
chaseisland

Was a state employee for 46 years. Thus I'll claim my right to complain about fees.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaseisland For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (12-30-2019), Lin (12-30-2019), MAXUM (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 PM   #18
Lin

Default If mandatory it would be hard to apply

First off our family owns 7 kayaks and 2 canoes. 7 out of 9 are brightly colored. And all of our life jackets are bright red or yellow. I would not be for a mandatory fee but as the real bill to be introduced offers, I could picture donating a fee but don’t feel it should be required because this bill is not specific to lake Winni but it would be all lakes; rivers and ponds regardless of size across the entire state. That would make enforcement ridiculous. Also that is not a small flag the other bill wants, it is 4’ We don’t have motors (elect/gas) on any of ours but I know in MA you have to have a canoe registered to use an engine and I can see that.

I also think that a lot of people that kayak and canoe give to various non-profit groups like loon preservation; lakes region conservation trust, New Hampshire Lakes Association, lake Winnipesaukee association and similar across the state, I do.

Crazy bill cause I could see bikes next like someone else said. Besides New Hampshire is the live free or die state.
Mooseyme (12-30-2019)