Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default City of Laconia home rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm glad you do it right but just because you do a good job vetting your tenants doesn't mean other landlords do. That's why oversight is needed.

Like I said, I know of some multi million dollar houses that were bought by groups of investors who never set foot in them and are rentals only. Sometimes they get great tenants and sometimes they don't.
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As long as you're not one those "isolated incidents", no problem. Classic landlord response.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,390 Times in 964 Posts

And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Woodsy

Default Unregulated Commercial Business.

It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy

The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
I disagree.... the City has made improvements to the Weirs, and is currently focused on Lakeport improvements. Investors buying up houses to run like motels is not in the best interest of any neighborhood.

Woodsy
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,390 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

They don't have to pay rooms and meals tax?????? I think they do. Or they are supposed to.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,075 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
Exactly, not every owner takes care of their property and I wouldn't consider it "isolated incidents". I've seen people move into brand new $700,000 homes with beautiful landscaping and never cut the grass. By then end of the summer it's 3ft tall. That's why fence companies are sooo busy!
You notice it more with different cultures. The colonial town of Lexington it is 50% Asian now. They all want big houses with no yards to take care of. $800,000 homes are being torn down to make way for 3 and 4 million dollar homes and they sell quickly.
I went to see Lenny Clark in Lexington's Cary Hall last year and one of his jokes was, "I rode my bike here on the bike path and I fell off and was knocked out. When I woke up I though I was in China".
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
tis (12-12-2019)