Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
So to understand your position, you are willing to pay MA income tax and MA/NH property tax and only be able to deduct 10k?
Joey, I don't support making everyone else pay more so I can pay less because my state is out of control with taxes. I choose to live in Massachusetts, although every year I wonder why. But yes, I'm fine with the $10k cap, especially when I consider with the cuts I will most likely pay less than I would have with last year's rules, even with the cap.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default ....property taxes too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Joey, I don't support making everyone else pay more so I can pay less because my state is out of control with taxes. I choose to live in Massachusetts, although every year I wonder why. But yes, I'm fine with the $10k cap, especially when I consider with the cuts I will most likely pay less than I would have with last year's rules, even with the cap.

You hit the nail on the head. I have been doing a lot of forecasting for clients and it is definitely a client by client situation. Some will pay less even with the cap and others will pay more. From what I have done and being in NY with high state income tax about 60% of my clients will pay more in 2018. Those paying less will not care those paying more will obviously complain
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,394 Times in 967 Posts

Joey, funny you are talking about NY taxes. My phone company used to be in Portsmouth NH but they sold out to a company in NY. Surprisingly to me, they told me today that we have to pay the NY taxes.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Joey, funny you are talking about NY taxes. My phone company used to be in Portsmouth NH but they sold out to a company in NY. Surprisingly to me, they told me today that we have to pay the NY taxes.
If you don't mind me asking, what company? If the phone services are provided outside NY you should not have to pay NY taxes.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,394 Times in 967 Posts

First Light.

That's what I said to them but they didn't agree with me. I'm sure the NY portion is not a whole lot of money but each line is charged. Obviously I would expect to pay the federal taxes and any NH taxes, but the NY deal did surprise me.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Lakesailor

Unhappy

You having to pay NY taxes on your bill would not surprise me. Most people having never lived in NY have no idea how high the taxes etc are in NYS. Much higher than Mass., no comparison. Only Calif. could possibly rival NY taxes. If you have to pay NYC or Yonkers taxes or both, you are getting pummelled from all sides. It's like you're just hoping for survival. Ask anyone who has ever lived there.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
You having to pay NY taxes on your bill would not surprise me. Most people having never lived in NY have no idea how high the taxes etc are in NYS. Much higher than Mass., no comparison. Only Calif. could possibly rival NY taxes. If you have to pay NYC or Yonkers taxes or both, you are getting pummelled from all sides. It's like you're just hoping for survival. Ask anyone who has ever lived there.

You do not pay multiple city tax in NY any longer. Only individuals living in nyc pay city tax as with Yonkers. There no longer is NYC or Yonkers non residents tax ( more commonly known as commuter tax) Rudy Giuliani did sway with it years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
4BigLake (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Lakesailor

You are probably correct, as I am not an accountant and retired some time ago. At one time, if you were a NYC employee living in Yonkers NY, you paid federal, state, nyc and Yonkers income taxes. Would you agree with me that NYS has the highest overall taxes in the nation. Don't forget to figure in the MTA tax and all the taxes that appear on your phone and cable bills.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Default Opened eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
I worked on a payroll application and was astounded to see the numbers of possible taxes that were potentially payable in both New York & California. In addition to the standard Fed, State & Town property taxes, were separate Town, Township, water district, school district, and others. I think I found one location in NY or CA that had 7 separate taxing entities for which payroll system would have to calculate and/or report to.