Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
ApS

Arrow Now That Winnipesaukee's Shorelines are Less Muddy...

It does seem that 300' is a reasonable distance for wake-setters. In Winter Harbor, we can have 2 or 3 wake-setter boats at the same time, even during weekdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sorry, I have also read Dante's posts and find them to be positive. Every boat may have its place but a boat that mainly is made to create a big wake may not be welcomed
From a long viewpoint—and from decades of direct observation—I can say that wakes in general are getting crazier! Worse, the problem is building-up on itself.

Everyone is needing a boat "two feet longer", when pontoon boats are available—roomier, watersports-friendly, speedy, handle big waves well, and are less crowded within—and which are not an affront to Winnipesaukee's disappearing shorelines.

How did we manage for decades with a 14-foot runabout?

How did we manage for decades without breakwaters, mooring whips, and hydraulic boat lifts?

As usual, in shallow water, I'm holding onto my sailboat, walking it in to the dock. I glance up to see a delivery man yelling at me. I was yelling back, as crashing wakes made our discussion impossible. Using hand signals, I was able to direct the delivery items to a nearby sundeck.
We were 20-feet apart—and this was a Tuesday!

A photographic metaphor of the lake's wake problem:

Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
It does seem that 300' is a reasonable distance for wake-setters. In Winter Harbor, we can have 2 or 3 wake-setter boats at the same time, even during weekdays.

From a long viewpoint—and from decades of direct observation—I can say that wakes in general are getting crazier! Worse, the problem is building-up on itself.

Everyone is needing a boat "two feet longer", when pontoon boats are available—roomier, watersports-friendly, speedy, handle big waves well, and are less crowded within—and which are not an affront to Winnipesaukee's disappearing shorelines.

How did we manage for decades with a 14-foot runabout?

How did we manage for decades without breakwaters, mooring whips, and hydraulic boat lifts?

As usual, in shallow water, I'm holding onto my sailboat, walking it in to the dock. I glance up to see a delivery man yelling at me. I was yelling back, as crashing wakes made our discussion impossible. Using hand signals, I was able to direct the delivery items to a nearby sundeck.
We were 20-feet apart—and this was a Tuesday!

A photographic metaphor of the lake's wake problem:

How did we manage for decades without the internet to constantly carp about the horrors of our privileged time we get to spend on the shores of New Hampshire's most spectacular lake?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
How did we manage for decades without the internet to constantly carp about the horrors of our privileged time we get to spend on the shores of New Hampshire's most spectacular lake?
McDonalds in the morning, You see them gather there complaining the old fashioned way.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
ApS

Question Alinsky or Snark?

Maybe even a photograph needs explaining:
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

Maybe even a photograph needs explaining:
That boat is too large to fit into that covered slip.
Some people like to keep their boats on lifts. Doesn't explain much...Not everyone enjoys small sailboats or 14' skiffs.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Seaplane Pilot

Default Be careful what you wish for

So, a few years ago, the whiners were all complaining about "big" boats that "go fast and are loud".

Now, these same people are complaining about smaller boats that go (very)slow, but produce big wakes.

Until everyone is in a sailboat or kayak, these whiners will never stop complaining and never be happy.

Summer is almost over, so they'll have all winter to sit around being miserable, waiting for next summer to come so they can complain some more!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
So, a few years ago, the whiners were all complaining about "big" boats that "go fast and are loud".

Now, these same people are complaining about smaller boats that go (very)slow, but produce big wakes.

Until everyone is in a sailboat or kayak, these whiners will never stop complaining and never be happy.

Summer is almost over, so they'll have all winter to sit around being miserable, waiting for next summer to come so they can complain some more!
Agree 100%
Old 08-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Also Agree

Quote:

Seaplane Pilot you are correct!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
noreast

Quote:

I really miss the thumbs up.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
ITD

SAVE THE LAKE, you know, unless it's something I'm doing that's messing it up, then, well, you are a bunch of kayaking whiners.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
FlyingScot

One of the interesting things about this thread is that there are some posters who have complained above wakesetters, and some people who have complained about people complaining.

But--unlike other posts where there are complaints about contentious issues--nobody has actually stood up and said I'm a wakesetter, and what I do does not bother others, damage boats, and erode the shoreline.

(I suppose now we'll been inundated, but I'll still think this is a really small number of people causing a significant number of headaches, and the wakesetter drivers know this.)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
paintitredinHC

Default For Pete's Sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
One of the interesting things about this thread is that there are some posters who have complained above wakesetters, and some people who have complained about people complaining.

But--unlike other posts where there are complaints about contentious issues--nobody has actually stood up and said I'm a wakesetter, and what I do does not bother others, damage boats, and erode the shoreline.

(I suppose now we'll been inundated, but I'll still think this is a really small number of people causing a significant number of headaches, and the wakesetter drivers know this.)

I am a water sports enthusiast and I am not just complaining about your complaints. I have offered viable solutions that fall on deaf ears for those who simply refuse to understand other perspectives or or lack the ability contextualize their arguments.

I understand your complaint. I appreciate and applaud your effort to bring attention to a topic that should be addressed on a public forum. I support initiatives that limit the negative impact of our activities, but we differ on the means to achieve that goal.

To be clear, I do acknowledge that wake activity does have a negative impact to the lake and homeowners property. And, it would stand to reason that a larger wake generated by a wake boat would exacerbate the problem. However, please consider that there are actions that can be taken to mitigate the problem without prohibitive regulation (as I have outlined above).

I am confident that the large and damaging wakes that you reference are generated by a wake boat that is either making a constant turn (typical of uniformed driver or someone towing a wake-surfer which in some cases requires a constant turn to sustain an appropriate curling wake required to sustain a 'surfable' wave), or a driver traveling closer than 150' from shore. Both problems can be compounded by multiple boats in a single bay or cove that have not coordinated their line.

So now, let's contextualize. I find it is a helpful tool to add perspective. The negative impact I acknowledged above is relative. I suspect that most people on this forum have a boat or home on the lake of some kind. Somewhere along the line, you have rationalized that the pollution created by your boat or the carbon footprint of your house has not negatively impacted our shared resource. I'm sure the Abenaki would beg to differ. Who are you to draw this arbitrary line in the sand? A bit hypocritical perhaps? I don't say this to be provocative, but to add context and for you to consider your argument from a broader perspective.

Speaking of drawing lines in the sand... I have a boat that offers the flexibility demanded of a multi sport enthusiast. The direct drive inboard places the engine mid-ship to evenly distribute weight for an optimal flat water skiing wake. Ballast tanks can be filled to add up to 1,500 pounds of water, and a large center mounted trim tab offers the ability to shape the wake (i.e. ramp vs. lip) for wake boarding. From the laymans perspective, my boat looks like a typical wake boat, but it is actually quite different. Would my boat be outlawed under your regulations? Is it based on how it looks or how much ballast I put in it? What if I just use half of my ballast capacity and fully engage the trim tab? My friend has a Cobalt I/O with factory ballast and a tower. His boat generates a larger wake than mine at 23mph. Uh oh, this might get complicated to enforce....

And for Pete's sake, Wakesetter is a brand within the Malibu line and not a type of boat. I suppose you can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintitredinHC View Post
I am a water sports enthusiast and I am not just complaining about your complaints. I have offered viable solutions that fall on deaf ears for those who simply refuse to understand other perspectives or or lack the ability contextualize their arguments.

I understand your complaint. I appreciate and applaud your effort to bring attention to a topic that should be addressed on a public forum. I support initiatives that limit the negative impact of our activities, but we differ on the means to achieve that goal.

To be clear, I do acknowledge that wake activity does have a negative impact to the lake and homeowners property. And, it would stand to reason that a larger wake generated by a wake boat would exacerbate the problem. However, please consider that there are actions that can be taken to mitigate the problem without prohibitive regulation (as I have outlined above).

I am confident that the large and damaging wakes that you reference are generated by a wake boat that is either making a constant turn (typical of uniformed driver or someone towing a wake-surfer which in some cases requires a constant turn to sustain an appropriate curling wake required to sustain a 'surfable' wave), or a driver traveling closer than 150' from shore. Both problems can be compounded by multiple boats in a single bay or cove that have not coordinated their line.

So now, let's contextualize. I find it is a helpful tool to add perspective. The negative impact I acknowledged above is relative. I suspect that most people on this forum have a boat or home on the lake of some kind. Somewhere along the line, you have rationalized that the pollution created by your boat or the carbon footprint of your house has not negatively impacted our shared resource. I'm sure the Abenaki would beg to differ. Who are you to draw this arbitrary line in the sand? A bit hypocritical perhaps? I don't say this to be provocative, but to add context and for you to consider your argument from a broader perspective.

Speaking of drawing lines in the sand... I have a boat that offers the flexibility demanded of a multi sport enthusiast. The direct drive inboard places the engine mid-ship to evenly distribute weight for an optimal flat water skiing wake. Ballast tanks can be filled to add up to 1,500 pounds of water, and a large center mounted trim tab offers the ability to shape the wake (i.e. ramp vs. lip) for wake boarding. From the laymans perspective, my boat looks like a typical wake boat, but it is actually quite different. Would my boat be outlawed under your regulations? Is it based on how it looks or how much ballast I put in it? What if I just use half of my ballast capacity and fully engage the trim tab? My friend has a Cobalt I/O with factory ballast and a tower. His boat generates a larger wake than mine at 23mph. Uh oh, this might get complicated to enforce....

And for Pete's sake, Wakesetter is a brand within the Malibu line and not a type of boat. I suppose you can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
I agree with most of what you've written here.

Most significantly, your message does acknowledge that many of these boats are leaving large destructive wakes, and that the only way to tow a surfer is with a large destructive wake.

Also, the solutions you offer are not for the complainers, but for those driving these boats. I appreciate that, and I hope these pilots learn, and that they stop towing surfers. It's their ears you need to reach.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
ApS

Arrow Breakwaters AND Boatlifts—None Needed Before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I agree with most of what you've written here. Most significantly, your message does acknowledge that many of these boats are leaving large destructive wakes, and that the only way to tow a surfer is with a large destructive wake. Also, the solutions you offer are not for the complainers, but for those driving these boats. I appreciate that, and I hope these pilots learn, and that they stop towing surfers. It's their ears you need to reach.
In the chart below, which designates shoreline areas where breakwaters may be placed, a "o" indicates the shoreline of Rattlesnake Island, whose integrity is obviously impacted by destructive erosion.

An "x" indicates Winter Harbor, which has seen a huge increase of breakwaters—and boatlifts—sometimes both! That increase corresponds with the proliferation of wake-setter boats.

Seemingly, the State has surrendered its shorelines and water quality—rather than tackle the problem directly.

Attached Images

Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Sugarsandbeach

Default Wakeboard Boats

I own one these wakeboard boats, a neighbor of mine a few houses down has one too and we primarily use them in the bay that I/we own lakefront property on. I also see lots of boats pulling tubes and skiers. Our boats do generate large wakes behind the boat but by the time it makes it to shore, it pretty much dissipates and is no more than any other boat of the same size and is minimal. How about a day like today that there's 11 mph winds and whitecaps on the lake for the next 12 hours.. constant white caps... let's complain about Mother Nature.. Maybe the complainers are also the people that complain about global warming... You can't compare the small ripples that our boats make at the shore if you look at the constant crashing from other nature. Please let's find something else to be miserable about. BTW, we recently bought our property, brought our wakeboat along with us and made friends with more than half the people in our bay after we are "destroying" everyone's shoreline... Apparently it's not as big of a problem as everyone thinks it is.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #16
kawishiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarsandbeach View Post
I own one these wakeboard boats, a neighbor of mine a few houses down has one too and we primarily use them in the bay that I/we own lakefront property on. I also see lots of boats pulling tubes and skiers. Our boats do generate large wakes behind the boat but by the time it makes it to shore, it pretty much dissipates and is no more than any other boat of the same size and is minimal. How about a day like today that there's 11 mph winds and whitecaps on the lake for the next 12 hours.. constant white caps... let's complain about Mother Nature.. Maybe the complainers are also the people that complain about global warming... You can't compare the small ripples that our boats make at the shore if you look at the constant crashing from other nature. Please let's find something else to be miserable about. BTW, we recently bought our property, brought our wakeboat along with us and made friends with more than half the people in our bay after we are "destroying" everyone's shoreline... Apparently it's not as big of a problem as everyone thinks it is.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarsandbeach View Post
by the time it makes it to shore, it pretty much dissipates and is no more than any other boat of the same size and is minimal.
Most of this thread is a good debate on wakeboards, with valid points made by both sides. But let's stick to the facts--we all know that wakeboards make big wakes
Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,166 Times in 908 Posts

The comparison to larger boats also misses the point.

When any boat passes by and it's wake hits your shore, it is over pretty quickly.

When the operator of the "make a big wake" boats decides that the water in the area of your house is the place his family wants to wake board then your shoreline may be subjected to hours of big waves as everyone in the family has their turn, falls, and has their turn again.

I have not noticed, as claimed by some, that the wakes dissipate quickly. Last week I had to make substantial repairs to my granite seawall that had been damaged by the repeated wakes hitting it.

And that doesn't address the hours of loud music that accompany these boats. At times, on otherwise nice days, when one of these boats is playing in my area, I have had to shut the windows in my house just so we can converse or watch TV. The speakers on the towers are placed to broadcast the music across the lake thus annoying a substantial number of people from the mainland to the islands.

If the music is that important to the enjoyment of the person in the water how about a waterproof headset so they get their choice of music and the rest of the people attempting to enjoy the lake are not disturbed?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
winniwannabe

sorry a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me what's going on in Wolfeboro
today? I can see that it's a boat race, but what kind of boats are those that they need a crane to launch them> Thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

And that doesn't address the hours of loud music that accompany these boats. At times, on otherwise nice days, when one of these boats is playing in my area, I have had to shut the windows in my house just so we can converse or watch TV. The speakers on the towers are placed to broadcast the music across the lake thus annoying a substantial number of people from the mainland to the islands.

If the music is that important to the enjoyment of the person in the water how about a waterproof headset so they get their choice of music and the rest of the people attempting to enjoy the lake are not disturbed?
Thank you! They are wake surfing not wake dancing!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
ApS

Question WMDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Some people like to keep their boats on lifts. Doesn't explain much...
Winter Harbor has about six new boat lifts this summer.

I failed to note that there is a fiberglass staircase next to the boat on the lift. Let's see...raise the boat—then climb up stairs to get into it.

Before this harbor got chop-crazy with visiting funsters, we'd step from the dock to the boat. What'd we do wrong?

Quote:
Not everyone enjoys small sailboats or 14' skiffs.
Funny, in spite of scarcely any wind, I took my sailboat out this morning anyway—hoping for the best. Who should I meet after only a few hundred feet of travel, but another sailboat—just like mine?

The wake-setters weren't out yet. Do you know what happens when there's scarcely any wind, and you hit an oversized-boat wake? Right, the sailboat goes backwards. While I haven't been particularly diligent in sighting canoes—a rare sighting in these parts lately—one did hail me last weekend. He asked if he could rent my sailboat.

I later noticed a "Malibu" passing by me, at about 75' distance. A boat towing a water-skier displayed an orange flag. When they packed up for the day, they kept the orange flag raised. Another water-skier and I could have shaken hands, the skipper had passed so close! And that Malibu? It had the model name of "Wakester" on the side. It also passed very close (twice). As he left, I noticed his weight-tank was emptying from four ports—bow and stern. Docked in Miami, it would have appeared like a Caribbean Cruise boat.

Here's a thought: take a surfboard to the ocean.

My neighbor has owned a 14' "skiff" for maybe 55 years. Someday, I'll ask to tape (or chain) my video camera to the bow, and show just how violent the wakes are this season.

As for scofflaws, this harbor's most dangerous scofflaw cruised in from four miles away, and passed by at about half-throttle. Maybe it was the pieces of dimensional lumber floating in the middle of the harbor, but the two wake-setters nearby may have accidentally produced a positive outcome.

Quote:
That boat is too large to fit into that covered slip.
I'd met the previous owner as his 1960's cottage came on the market. He and I lived about one mile apart, but over 1500 miles away!

That property did eventually change ownership.

Now, that new boat being too large for the covered slip (and requiring a lift) would make my point.

Protected waters need to be protected from run-away wake destructiveness.